PDA

View Full Version : Teacher Fired for Becoming Pregnant Out of Wedlock

BAMAPHIN 22
06-11-2010, 10:20 AM
In April 2009, Hamilton told her boss at Southland Christian School in St. Cloud, Fla., that she was pregnant and planned to take a six-week leave in October. When asked when she conceived, Hamilton answered honestly: She became pregnant just three weeks prior to her Feb. 20 wedding.

That was enough to get her fired under the school's strict morality rules, which prohibit teachers from "fornication," engaging in sex before marriage.

"Jaretta was asked not to return because of a moral issue that was disregarded, namely fornication, sex outside marriage," administrator Julie Ennis wrote in a letter to Hamilton's lawyer.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Media/teacher-fired-pregnant-wedlock/story?id=10878802

PhinzN703
06-11-2010, 02:31 PM
2 reactions

1. I assume she knew of this rule before she got pregnant so in a way it's her fault
2. The fact that this is even a part of the morality rules is ridiculous but then again, it is religion.

Gonzo
06-13-2010, 12:18 AM
While it's really her fault for disregarding the rule, it doesn't seem very "christian" to put a new mother out of work. Then again, a lot of "christian" things don't make much sense to me.

NYCBillsFan
06-13-2010, 07:42 AM
Religion at its finest. I'm guessing forgiveness is a lost art at Southland Christian School.

Dolphan7
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
The school had every right to fire her for the reasons they did, however...they didn't handle it very well ...as is the case with many Christians and christian organizations. This will cost them a pretty penny for sure.

PhinzN703
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
The school had every right to fire her for the reasons they did, however...they didn't handle it very well ...as is the case with many Christians and christian organizations. This will cost them a pretty penny for sure.

Not sure why anyone would want to work for a place that will fire you for getting pregnant anyway. Good for her

Dolphan7
06-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Not sure why anyone would want to work for a place that will fire you for getting pregnant anyway. Good for herThat wasn't why she was fired. She was fired because she had sex outside of marraige, which is a no no in the Christian faith.

PhinzN703
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
That wasn't why she was fired. She was fired because she had sex outside of marraige, which is a no no in the Christian faith.

Understood yet equally ridiculous. In my opinion of course :)

Dolphan7
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Understood yet equally ridiculous. In my opinion of course :)I know it sounds ridiculous from a secular standpoint, but that is what the good book says. It would be like using a baseball bat on a golf course....it goes against the accepted and preferred methods of the sport. Same principle.

Locke
06-23-2010, 10:39 PM
It was with her future husband. What the hell. 3 weeks before her wedding? So she was engaged, and actually set to be married within a month. Wouldn't the marriage part simply be paperwork at that point? This seems pretty petty to me...

PhinzN703
06-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I know it sounds ridiculous from a secular standpoint, but that is what the good book says. It would be like using a baseball bat on a golf course....it goes against the accepted and preferred methods of the sport. Same principle.

I understand that. The fact that this was written at any point be it yesterday or 50 million years ago is what I find to be the issue. The standards of today shouldn't necessarily have to reflect what they were at any other point in time. We're in the now, change is acceptable.

I could be 100% off base too without even knowing it so if I am pardon my ignorance.

GoonBoss
06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Pretty much others have said it. She knew the rules, and broke them. It seems silly and small, but, oh well.

Dolphan7
06-28-2010, 02:33 PM
I understand that. The fact that this was written at any point be it yesterday or 50 million years ago is what I find to be the issue. The standards of today shouldn't necessarily have to reflect what they were at any other point in time. We're in the now, change is acceptable.

I could be 100% off base too without even knowing it so if I am pardon my ignorance.Well that is the nature of the Christian faith....it is based on an "unchanging and absolute" moral standard. Even though societies may change over time...an absolute standard by definition cannot.

overworkedirish
07-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Well that is the nature of the Christian faith....it is based on an "unchanging and absolute" moral standard. Even though societies may change over time...an absolute standard by definition cannot.

Unchanging and absolute, huh? Like the Catholic church's stance on the Holocaust? :rolleyes2:

Look, if she signed a contract with a Christian school dictating "rules of morality," then it's partially her fault. But the school told the kids?? Come on. That's just spite for spite's sake.

One could argue that the assumption that fornication took place is sexist. Not to sound crude, but hypothetically, what if she just went to a sperm bank? Or picked up some of her man's baby batter for self-application? (Wow that sounds so wrong.)

Bumpus
07-12-2010, 03:45 AM
So ... Teachers can't **** in Florida unless they're married?

:lol: I may never leave WV again. :lol:

MadDog 88
08-14-2010, 01:36 AM
I have to laugh at the term "partially her fault" that I see above. It's her fault period. It's a private school that has a morality code that expects it employees to abide by. She didn't and she got fired. You may not like it or may think it is petty, but it is no different then any company that has rules it expects its employees to follow.

newlownorder
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Unfortunately, she worked at a private school that has their own rules and regulations for what they consider to be appropriate behavior. While I don't agree with their decision, it's their decision to make. Just like it was her decision to work at a private school that has such rules and regulations. However, I don't think anyone should call out someones morality without calling out their own morality, that's for the big man upstairs to decide.