PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Texas A&M to SEC

COphinphan89
06-12-2010, 09:55 PM
If true, I say "Welcome!"

http://capstonereport.com/2010/06/12/report-texas-am-to-join-sec/6584/

Valkyron
06-13-2010, 12:02 PM
I hope that this is not true because I would like for the five rumored Big 12 South teams to go to the Pac-10 so that the Pac-10 doesn't poach Utah from the Mountain West.

If it is true, congratulations to you SEC folk.

Namor
06-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Listen..why is eveyone congradulating the SEC?...
The SEC can stand pat the way they are and still be the conference everyone is trying to catch.
This will be a very smart move for A&M..they can finally break free from TEXAS.
Texas doesn't want to play by the rules..they want a bigger cut from whatever conf. they join.
That was one of the weakness's of the Big12.In the SEC,the cut is shared equally.
I'll bet you anything,the Pac10 has offered Texas a bigger cut than the rest of the teams.
10 years after A&M joins the SEC ,they will be as strong as Texas..those time zones are going to
be a factor in a TV contract.
If the SEC adds two... (my opinion only) It's A&M and VT...if they add four...it's A&M,VT,West Virginia,and probaly
Clemson(even though they are basically Auburn with a lake).
Miami brings nothing to the table
Same with Ga. Tech.
Gators will block a move for Fl. State-because of the same reasons that will make A&M stronger,Fla can't let that
happen for a in-state rival.
Basically adding teams for a extra BCS bid and more recruiting base and TV market.
I'd like to hear from my buddy Slimm and get his feelings on this.
I'm like him on exspansion,except I'd rather keep it more region friendly.
Think about Texas in the PAC 10..what's pacific about that?

COphinphan89
06-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Listen..why is eveyone congradulating the SEC?...
The SEC can stand pat the way they are and still be the conference everyone is trying to catch.
This will be a very smart move for A&M..they can finally break free from TEXAS.
Texas doesn't want to play by the rules..they want a bigger cut from whatever conf. they join.
That was one of the weakness's of the Big12.In the SEC,the cut is shared equally.
I'll bet you anything,the Pac10 has offered Texas a bigger cut than the rest of the teams.
10 years after A&M joins the SEC ,they will be as strong as Texas..those time zones are going to
be a factor in a TV contract.
If the SEC adds two... (my opinion only) It's A&M and VT...if they add four...it's A&M,VT,West Virginia,and probaly
Clemson(even though they are basically Auburn with a lake).
Miami brings nothing to the table
Same with Ga. Tech.
Gators will block a move for Fl. State-because of the same reasons that will make A&M stronger,Fla can't let that
happen for a in-state rival.
Basically adding teams for a extra BCS bid and more recruiting base and TV market.
I'd like to hear from my buddy Slimm and get his feelings on this.
I'm like him on exspansion,except I'd rather keep it more region friendly.
Think about Texas in the PAC 10..what's pacific about that?
You mentioned Clemson, but South Carolina will block them for the same reasons you mentioned as to why UF will block Miami and FSU.

Namor
06-13-2010, 03:47 PM
You mentioned Clemson, but South Carolina will block them for the same reasons you mentioned as to why UF will block Miami and FSU.

South Carolina Doesn't have that kind of pull...their not a charter member.
They are lucky to be cashing checks.
Hell,I'd trade SC for Troy..LOL..
I'm not that crazy for Clemson,but from what I'm hearing,their name keeps coming up.

COphinphan89
06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
South Carolina Doesn't have that kind of pull...their not a charter member.
They are lucky to be cashing checks.
Hell,I'd trade SC for Troy..LOL..
I'm not that crazy for Clemson,but from what I'm hearing,their name keeps coming up.
LOL. I feel you there man. I wouldn't miss SC either. But I've read that there is a bit of a secret coalition between UF, SC, UGA, and UK to keep scUM, FSU, GT, Clemson, and Louisville out of the conference. Kind of a "If you agree to vote my way, then I'll vote yours" kinda thing.

But Clemson is actually a good fit. Their stadium seats roughly 80K. Natural rivalry with SC, an old but dormant rivalry with UGA, and future series scheduled against Vandy and Ole Piss. Lots of tradition, rabid fans, loyal following, and a strong alumni base (my cousin and her husband are two of them).

COphinphan89
06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Aggies turn down the Pac-10.

http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB

Namor
06-13-2010, 05:54 PM
If anybody wants to put a villian to why the Big12 is going to fail,look at Texas.
So any conf. that gets them...well,buyer beware.

TedSlimmJr
06-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Namor, you're right on schedule here brother...

The Big-12 collapsed because of Texas' arrogance in the first place... lining their pockets while the rest of the conference suffered...

Nebraska tired of that and bolted to their more natural fit in the Big-10.... (Nebraska and Texas have always had problems with each other)...

You have to be willing to take care of the little guys in your conference if you expect to have a strong conference backbone.... In the SEC, the cut is shared evenly as pointed out.... the Miss St.'s, Vanderbilts, etc. get the same cut as the big dogs (Bama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, etc.)...

We take care of our own in the SEC... The SEC is like family, a brotherhood... they'll beat up on each other but they wont let anyone else mess with anyone inside the conference... especially charter members...

The only way to isolate yourself is to turn your back on the conference (the way GT and Tulane did many, many years ago)..

If A&M joins the SEC, you can't underestimate the influence Regents like Gene Stallings has in all this.... he's not intimidated by Texas puffing their chest out and trying to bully A&M around... Stallings is an Aggie through and through, but he's also an SEC guy...a Bear Bryant disciple...and still has major pull and major clout in the SEC. Texas A&M is tired of it and ready to stand on their own... and run with the big dogs in the SEC...

Texas is afraid to join the SEC because they know they can't rule the SEC with an iron fist the way they can the Pac-10.... the SEC is full of bullies that will slap Texas around....

Texas wants to belong to a conference but operate like an independent.... it doesn't work.... and there will be tensions between Texas and any conference they belong to as long as they intend on doing business in such a manner...

A&M to the SEC is a natural fit because they meet much of the criteria required to be an asset... Plus, they have built in rivalries with Arkansas and LSU from days past....(which is why Arkansas and LSU high fived each other in Slive's meeting when A&M announced they would accept the SEC's invited...:lol:)

A&M also has a built in history with Bama going all the way back to the Bear Bryant days...

Basically, there's not a charter member of the SEC that would vote against accepting A&M in my opinion....

COphinphan89
06-14-2010, 07:15 PM
Looks like this is all for not. Perhaps the Big 12(10) will make it after all.

Namor
06-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Looks like this is all for not. Perhaps the Big 12(10) will make it after all.

It doesn't matter what teams go where....it will still be Bama or Florida fighting for the whole ball of wax next year,
and the next several years anyway.