06-14-2010, 02:56 PM
http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

COphinphan89
06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
So much for the mega-conferences.

For now.

DolfanDuBbZ~
06-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Hopefully over the next few years, the BIG 12 will poach a few quality schools. One that comes to mind is IOWA another would be TCU.

Losing Colorado wasn't and isn't a big deal with in the BIG 12 since they haven't mattered for almost 2 decades. Losing Nebraska was more about tradition than performance.

TedSlimmJr
06-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Iowa isn't leaving the Big-10.... they've been a member for over 100 years and the Big-10 provides stability and money that no other conference other than the SEC can provide....

Losing Nebraska was about some homer clock operator leaving 1 second on the clock in the Big-12 CG.... that was the last straw for Nebraska... There was already bad blood between them and Texas...

If the powers that be in the Big-12 are focused on saving the conference, the only reason it works is because the rest of the team can make more money when the Big-12 renegotiates a new tv deal which is coming up soon...

They'll make more money now because there's less teams to divide up the bread..... they all get a bigger piece...

Adding 2 more teams only puts the Big-12 right back to square one before this all started... which is Texas and Oklahoma getting richer while the rest of the schools in the conference struggle...

Namor
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
I would bet anything the Big12 sold their soul (AGAIN,probaly even more this time,to TEXAS)

chrisbaucom
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
Of course they probably did. My question was this, why would Oklahoma stand around and allow for Texas to get so much more money than them and not just bolt to another conference? We may never know the specifics, but I'm willing to bet Texas is getting a much bigger chunk of change than the rest of them.

Namor
06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
I'll say this just once....and I'll try not to sound to much like a SEC homer,but that "new"
TV deal that is keeping the Big12 together...well it's percentages and what-not are not that
much greater than the existing deal.The new promises are mostly smoke and mirrors,mostly favoring
Texas.
The real deal is that Texas couldn't have their own TV deal in the Pac10,they can now,but what really
busted this thing open was A&M not following Texas to the Pac10 like a little lap dog.
When A&M got itself a SEC invite,Texas put the brakes on everything.
They could not take the chance of the SEC getting a toehold on that fertile recruiting ground that
Texas basically has to itself.
Imagine Saban,Meyer,Miles and Richt going recruiting there regularly with a team there now in the SEC.
Texas could not take a chance on Texas kids,especially east Texas kids and their parents wanting to play their
road games at Baton Rouge,Tuscaloosa,Athens,and such rather than going to Berkly,Los Angeles,Washington and Oregon.
Texas isn't a national recruiter,there is a reason their class is always signed early,they are all mostly from Texas.
Texas just could not afford the let the SEC in their home turf..
If you disagree me ,please discuss..

DolfanDuBbZ~
06-15-2010, 09:16 PM
I'll say this just once....and I'll try not to sound to much like a SEC homer,but that "new"
TV deal that is keeping the Big12 together...well it's percentages and what-not are not that
much greater than the existing deal.The new promises are mostly smoke and mirrors,mostly favoring
Texas.
The real deal is that Texas couldn't have their own TV deal in the Pac10,they can now,but what really
busted this thing open was A&M not following Texas to the Pac10 like a little lap dog.
When A&M got itself a SEC invite,Texas put the brakes on everything.
They could not take the chance of the SEC getting a toehold on that fertile recruiting ground that
Texas basically has to itself.
Imagine Saban,Meyer,Miles and Richt going recruiting there regularly with a team there now in the SEC.
Texas could not take a chance on Texas kids,especially east Texas kids and their parents wanting to play their
road games at Baton Rouge,Tuscaloosa,Athens,and such rather than going to Berkly,Los Angeles,Washington and Oregon.
Texas isn't a national recruiter,there is a reason their class is always signed early,they are all mostly from Texas.
Texas just could not afford the let the SEC in their home turf..
If you disagree me ,please discuss..

This point was made prior to the agreement in article on rivals or yahoo.

They said recruits would eventually determine the reallignment. They made the point that Missouri was able to get something like 4 or so top 100 recruits from Texas while a border state and a Nat. Champ. in the SEC like LSU was only able to score 2 Top 100 recruits from Texas.

It all really makes since. Why open there recruiting grounds to a power conference like the SEC while being able to hold onto it and keep a regional conference like the Big 12 around? They get their TV/media deal and keep their strangle hold on their recruiting grounds.

COphinphan89
06-16-2010, 12:21 AM
Well of course A&M wasn't ever going to touch the Pac 10. You really think they want to send their cadets to Berkeley, Eugene, and Stanford so they can get spit on? They already had to send them to Boulder a few times over the years. I'm sure they won't miss them.

TedSlimmJr
06-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Texas would've gone to the Pac-10 in a heartbeat, meanwhile dragging Oklahoma, A&M,... and about 4 other schools kicking and screaming along with them if A&M had done what they were supposed to do.... which is whatever Texas tells them to do...

Texas never cared about the Big-12 conference to begin with... that's how the conference got in this predicament in the first place.... Texas only cares about Texas...

Had it not been for A&M Regents like Gene Stallings (with strong SEC ties) standing up to Texas.... the Pac-16 was all but a done deal...

Texas wouldn't be hurt by joining the Pac-10.... whatever recruiting they exposed from Texas to the Pac-10 was offset by exposing California recruiting to Texas... this was about Texas getting what it wanted and manipulating anybody and everybody in the process in order to achieve it...

You want to know the only thing that scares Texas? When A&M told them.. "Go ahead and go to the Pac-10.... WE'RE NOT GOING WITH YOU".... "If you're not interested in keeping the Big-12 alive, we'll go to the SEC"....

That is what forced them to take a step back... A&M called their bluff...

It's not opening up recruiting in the state of Texas that the Longhorns feared, it's opening up recruiting in the state of Texas to the SEC that had the Longhorns shaking in their Cowboy boots...

The Longhorns just had the best seat in the entire house to watch Alabama beat them in the national championship game led by a quarterback from Southlake Carrol (TX)... they're not worried about a few recruits going to Missouri.... Missouri could've been headed to the MWC for all Texas knew...

If A&M had joined the SEC, while Texas headed off to the Pac-10, it automatically puts Texas in a pickle for recruiting as Namor pointed out.... recruits and their parents would rather go to A&M and travel to places like Baton Rouge, Oxford, Starkville, Tuscaloosa, etc.... than to have to travel across two time zones to places like Pullman, Wash., Eugene, Ore., etc....

A&M finally put their foot down... they just didn't hold it at Texas' throat long enough...