PDA

View Full Version : FSU, Miami need to start pulling their weight in the ACC

BAMAPHIN 22
07-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford should have just come right out and said it when I asked him Sunday how important it is to the league's football reputation to have Florida State and Miami competing for national championships.

Here's how Swofford should have responded: "Yeah, we thought we were getting the second coming of Texas-Oklahoma. Instead, it's been more like the second coming of Texas A&M-Oklahoma State."

Of course, Swofford was much more diplomatic than that during his Q&A session with media members at the ACC Football Kickoff Sunday. He acknowledged in a nice way that when his league's two most prominent teams—Florida State and Miami—are competing for national championships, "Our league is perceived as being stronger as a whole."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/os-bianchi-acc-miam-florida-state-20100725,0,6595936.column

nyjunc
07-30-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm a Carolina fan but it's bad for the ACC when the 2 best programs have struggled as much as FSU and Miami. I would like to see those 2 get back to being top programs again.

BobDole
07-30-2010, 01:57 PM
fisher will bring FSU back - no doubt. they have too much dedication to their football program and too many resources at their disposal not to be elite again. its been impressive how long they've managed to miss on recruits when the best ones in the country are all around you. won't happen much longer.

miami - on the other hand - will never be back to form until they give 2 ****s about their football program. sad if you ask me. the best recruits in the country are sitting on their face waiting to go to the "U" and you guys can't make that happen? they're literally in your backyard - and you guys can't convince them to go to miami? or is it that you aren't even recruiting them b/c they don't meet your academic standards?

this is my take. the "U" should just fugg off if they're not going to take this seriously. there's no excuse for them not to be dominant - recruit the home town guys. that's all you have to do. you don't even have to leave the fugging city. drop to division 2 and let the programs that actually give a fugg compete with each other. you don't care about football - anyone whose head isn't shoved directly up their *** can see that - so peace the fugg out. either commit or don't compete - real simple.

and - for the record - i LOVE all those thumb sitters out there that call UF cowards for not agreeing to play the "Y?". you guys can't even commit to having a halfway decent football team but we're the ******* b/c we don't want to embarrass your embarrassment of a team? please tell me one good reason why UF would play miami. we have NOTHING to gain - and a good amount to lose. why would we want bragging rights over a team that doesn't even give enough of a fugg to trot a decent product onto the field? if you guys ever get the balls to actually want to be in the mix UF will be on your schedule again - but until then - piss and moan all you want about us not wanting anything to do with your dumpster fire of a program. (i know i am being very hard on miami - but with those recruits at their fingertips i hold them at a different standard and 100% accountable)

so there's my rant. fire away "U" fans.

chrisbaucom
07-30-2010, 04:20 PM
fisher will bring FSU back - no doubt. they have too much dedication to their football program and too many resources at their disposal not to be elite again. its been impressive how long they've managed to miss on recruits when the best ones in the country are all around you. won't happen much longer.

miami - on the other hand - will never be back to form until they give 2 ****s about their football program. sad if you ask me. the best recruits in the country are sitting on their face waiting to go to the "U" and you guys can't make that happen? they're literally in your backyard - and you guys can't convince them to go to miami? or is it that you aren't even recruiting them b/c they don't meet your academic standards?

this is my take. the "U" should just fugg off if they're not going to take this seriously. there's no excuse for them not to be dominant - recruit the home town guys. that's all you have to do. you don't even have to leave the fugging city. drop to division 2 and let the programs that actually give a fugg compete with each other. you don't care about football - anyone whose head isn't shoved directly up their *** can see that - so peace the fugg out. either commit or don't compete - real simple.

and - for the record - i LOVE all those thumb sitters out there that call UF cowards for not agreeing to play the "Y?". you guys can't even commit to having a halfway decent football team but we're the ******* b/c we don't want to embarrass your embarrassment of a team? please tell me one good reason why UF would play miami. we have NOTHING to gain - and a good amount to lose. why would we want bragging rights over a team that doesn't even give enough of a fugg to trot a decent product onto the field? if you guys ever get the balls to actually want to be in the mix UF will be on your schedule again - but until then - piss and moan all you want about us not wanting anything to do with your dumpster fire of a program. (i know i am being very hard on miami - but with those recruits at their fingertips i hold them at a different standard and 100% accountable)

so there's my rant. fire away "U" fans.

You're a genius.

BobDole
07-30-2010, 04:24 PM
You're a genius.

so they say. am i wrong on this one? hell, as a fan, don't you want to see your team actually compete? enlighten me.

chrisbaucom
07-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Do you need a history lesson? The win in 2008 by Florida over Miami was their first since 1985. You don't want to play Miami because you don't want to embarrass them? Makes perfect sense. Keep talking while you have the chance.......it will all come crashing down soon enough.

Urban....did you hack Bob Dole's account? Shouldn't you be worried more about Saban and Mark Ingram than the Miami Hurricanes?

JCane
07-31-2010, 06:21 PM
I'm gonna side with BobDole on this one in regards to the Miami - Florida series. Florida has nothing to gain and plenty to lose by playing us. College football has steadily become a business over the past 15 years. College football used to be dead before ESPN began promoting the hell out of it. Now we're seeing ridiculous TV deals, cut-throat in-state battles for 17 year-olds, conference realignments, the rise of the SEC, and these recruits are holding "LeBron-like" press conferences to say where they're going to college.

As of today, Florida is the dominant program in the state. They're not required to play us. So as long as they reign supreme in the state, there's no reason for them to give in and play us. They run the risk of being beat at any time by the Hurricanes and even ONE loss to the Hurricanes could swing the power in the state of Florida. Don't believe for a second that Florida just willingly played us in 2008 at the drop of a hat. That was very calculated by the Gators Athletic Department. They completely worked our retarded Athletic Department. They could see the decay on the walls of the program. Our program was in shambles due to Coker and the Gators jumped the opportunity to play us because they knew we'd be rebuilding at that time and would probably have a new coach. But even still, those ******* wanted to play Miami in the Swamp with SEC refs. And I'll still contend that those refs swung the momentum of the game with that bad call on the Louis Murphy "catch."

But there is some pussification on the part of Florida. Less we forget that the state of Florida had to force the Gators by law to continue their home and home each year with the Seminoles. These dudes also want SEVEN home games on top of the "away" game in Jacksonville for the Cocktail Party. **** out of here with that nonsense. And their reasoning is because that's the only way they can turn the profits they need to fund the athletic programs at UF. The Gators need another home game against Waterbury Tech to turn a profit? Laughable.

And I don't know how Fisher is going to bring back FSU. I like Fisher more than I like Shannon but let's be honest, we don't know **** about Fisher just yet. Who knows what he is. Miami's problem is that they try to catch lightning in a bottle so to speak. They did so with Howard Schnellenberger, Jimmy Johnson, and Butch Davis. They've yet to do it again. Shannon is not the answer although I do expect Shannon to have the program respectable this season. I think we'll at least finish in the top 15 but I still don't see us winning the ACC.

We do recruit the kids in our back yard. In this goes back to the Gators not playing us...the fence around Miami is down. Jimbo and Urban are cherry-picking kids out of Dade and Broward at will. This NEVER happened before and the Gators are taking advantage of it and checking us in the rear view. Can't say I blame them. I'd want us to do the same. But the Gators need to hope they don't find us waiting in Atlanta at the end of the season.

We're not having trouble recruiting at all. That's not an issue. It doesn't matter who the coach is or what the record is, Miami will haul nice recruiting classes because the city will always sell itself. Warm weather. Beautiful women everywhere. Nightlife. Big city. beaches on top of beaches. LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Thousands of other celebrities. NFL stadium. That's what you're selling to 18 year-old kids. Hard to say no. All of this "empty stadium" crap you hear...that's just the SEC fans pounding their chest about how devoted they are. Recruits not wanting to play in front of an empty stadium is a myth. I asked Rueben Randle that question a couple of years ago when we were recruiting him to Miami. He told me it wasn't even a concern. His concern was playing time first, pipeline to the NFL, and a good education to fall back on. And we had all of it and Shannon and his clowns dropped the ball because Shannon has ALWAYS had the jilted girlfriend syndrome.

TedSlimmJr
07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure who's side I'm on here... however it comes across is just the way it is...

FACTS:

1. Florida's OOC schedule has been a joke ever since the Spurrier days..

2. Florida has nothing to gain by playing Miami..

3. Florida has everything to lose by playing Miami..

4. Florida is HMFIC as far as the state of Florida goes...

5. Florida has several built in rivalries inside the SEC already that take their toll (LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, etc.)...plus FSU every year...

6. Miami doesn't have any rivalries in the ACC that amount to anything... other than one with another down program (FSU) that turns into a track meet lately... no defense...

7. Miami makes up for not playing in those in conference rivalry games by playing an awesome OOC schedule every year...

8. Miami and FSU have to be relevant to make the conference relevant...

9. Randy Shannon isn't the guy to do it...

10. Jimbo Fisher might be...

JCane
07-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Looks like you and I are in each other's head lol.

However, I'll pick at #6 and #7 a little.

We don't have great rivalries in the ACC but I think the Virginia Tech rivalry is a little underrated since we carried it over from the Big East.

It has never really mattered who was in our conference or how good any of them were, we were always out to play Notre Dame in their prime, Florida State despite not being in the same conference or anyone else for that matter.

BobDole
07-31-2010, 08:27 PM
agreed with almost everything you guys said. had a feeling you'd agree with me J - for the most part at least. i know you want to see them back in the mix. hell, i do too. its good for college football when miami is in the hunt and the ACC needs it. all they have to do is want it. hope they come around soon before the true days of the "U" are forgotten.

the only thing i'd disagree with is our OOC being weak every year. its been soft lately but we have the toughest OOC schedule next year in the SEC. so ...

chrisbaucom
08-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Other than Florida State, your OOC consists of Miami OH, USF, and App State. Not that great.

BobDole
08-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Other than Florida State, your OOC consists of Miami OH, USF, and App State. Not that great.

2 out of 3 are top 25 teams. name a better OOC SEC schedule.

COphinphan89
08-01-2010, 10:08 PM
It's true. Florida stands to gain nothing by taking on that game whereas it is the exact opposite for Miami. Miami needs Florida, but Florida doesn't need Miami and never will.

You know, there's that saying, when your enemy is lying there bleeding to death, do you come running with the first-aid kit or do you throw that kit over the wall and go stand over his body while he bleeds out? It's obvious to see what Florida is doing.

2014 will be another one of the oddball 14 week seasons that UF has typically reserved for Miami but Foley doesn't want to schedule Miami again past 2013. There have been rumors of a potential neutral-site matchup with a respectable opponent in the first week or two of that season. But the home games rake in the green so don't be surprised to see La Tech or Toledo in that slot again.

TedSlimmJr
08-02-2010, 01:11 AM
Looks like you and I are in each other's head lol.

However, I'll pick at #6 and #7 a little.

We don't have great rivalries in the ACC but I think the Virginia Tech rivalry is a little underrated since we carried it over from the Big East.

It has never really mattered who was in our conference or how good any of them were, we were always out to play Notre Dame in their prime, Florida State despite not being in the same conference or anyone else for that matter.

The Miami/VT game is actually one of my favorites to watch every year.... kinda like the Pitt/WV is.... or the Nebraska/Oklahoma game used to be until the Big-12 did away with the rivalry every year...

Although I think Miami is somewhere around 2-4 or so versus VT since both teams joined the ACC....

It's just hard for Miami to win the way they need to against such a stout OOC schedule every year when they're being outcoached all the time...

chrisbaucom
08-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Miami doesn't need Florida. It was a good rivalry in the state of FL that the Gators didn't want a part of anymore. I understand, to a certain extent why they didn't want to play it anymore, but that doesn't mean I won't rip them for it.

JCane
08-03-2010, 08:58 AM
Right now we need Florida. If we can get those *******s to play us or catch them in the Peach Bowl, it's up to us to handle our business on the field to swing the recruiting game back in our favor. The Gators had two recent national titles, a premier coach, and they're sending kids to the NFL. Beating Florida proves we're on the up and up.

BobDole
08-03-2010, 01:25 PM
i thought recruiting wasn't the problem. :lol:

you're right though - you need to find a way to keep those kids in sofla. but it will take more than just beating UF to get that done. UM will have to reestablish its commitment to the football program. you don't have to ignore athletics to be a great academic institution. look at UF - its one of the best public universities in the south (i could even argue the country - there's been ivy league talk for some time now). the best recruits aren't going to meet your academic standards - you'll have the bend the rules just a little. i mean come on - this is .0000000000000001% of your student population that brings in such a ridiculous amount of money for the school. what's the problem?

those sofla kids are watching UF win and want to come be a part of it. that's why miami was getting those kids for so long. now all they have are stories from their fathers about how good the "U" used to be and documentaries on espn. soon it will be stories from their grandfathers and clips on espn classic. and then you'll become another notre dame - and i know you don't want that.

chrisbaucom
08-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Miami won a Nat'l Title 9 years ago. Florida went 10 years in between #1 and #2, so I'm not understanding how they will be nothing but a memory. Please explain how they University needs to "reestablish its commitment to the football program." What are you referring to? There's no doubt that Florida is on top right now, but it doesn't take much to be knocked off the mountain.

It wasn't that long ago the Florida program was in the middle of the Zook era.

2002 - 8-5
2003 - 8-5
2004 - 7-5

You need to only look as far as your University to see a program can climb out of a hole.

And UF is a damn good school, but it's not Ivy League.

BobDole
08-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Miami won a Nat'l Title 9 years ago. Florida went 10 years in between #1 and #2, so I'm not understanding how they will be nothing but a memory. Please explain how they University needs to "reestablish its commitment to the football program." What are you referring to? There's no doubt that Florida is on top right now, but it doesn't take much to be knocked off the mountain.

It wasn't that long ago the Florida program was in the middle of the Zook era.

2002 - 8-5
2003 - 8-5
2004 - 7-5

You need to only look as far as your University to see a program can climb out of a hole.

And UF is a damn good school, but it's not Ivy League.

those recruits are what - 18? so 9 years ago that makes them 9 year old kids. unless they have really good memories they have to hear stories from their daddies about the glory days of the "U", right? thats a long time man - and they've fallen off hard since.

the zook years ... don't remind me. :lol: to be fair that was only a couple year stretch - and we were dominant right before and right after. the "U" was the most dominant force college football has ever seen - and they have taken a serious tumble since those days. i don't even need to list your records since to prove my point - you know them all too well.

the big difference b/n the 2 schools is that UF never lost its commitment to its football program. you do know athletics have taken a back seat to academics at UM, correct? this is common knowledge - or so i thought. you guys aren't even recruiting some of these kids b/c they don't meet your academic standards - something that NEVER would've happened 10 years ago. until you get that straight - you'll be heading in the direction of notre dame - a FORMER college football goliath.

BobDole
08-03-2010, 05:25 PM
i graduated from UF so i get all the newsletters and what have you. ivy league talk has been going on for some time - but its most likely just talk. i was just saying that to emphasize the whole 'you can still do both right' thing.

JCane
08-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Recruiting isn't a problem. We never have problems finding top rated recruits who want to come to Miami. But when the state flagship school is winning national titles, it's easy for them to come into Broward and Dade and cherry pick to a degree. We've lost a lot of control over the state since the days of Butch Davis. Larry Coker couldn't recruit his Mom to Miami. Coker never had a plan B. He identified kids he wanted and went after them hard but if they didn't come, he didn't have any backup plans. That's why we were so bad at QB after Dorsey.

BobDole
08-03-2010, 05:58 PM
i hear you but its not just UF that's taking your recruits. FSU's been doing it for a while now - hell - and they're not the only ones. like you said - the gates are open. is it just that UF has been winning championships? i don't think so.

am i wrong in saying UM has lost its commitment to the athletic program - that its now secondary to academics? that's the problem - and it doesn't have to be that way. until they find a way to coexist those recruits will keep going to schools where they know the athletic program isn't taking a back seat to anyone or anything. those guys are coming out of high school with aspirations of playing in championships and going to the NFL - why would they run the risk of going to a program that might not have their best interests in mind? look the other way just a little bit - that's all miami has to do. until then it doesn't matter how many championships UF is winning - b/c regardless those kids know UM has academics as the top priority - and they don't want to run the risk of being booted for grades. didn't that just happen like yesterday?

chrisbaucom
08-03-2010, 08:03 PM
Former coaches have said that Coker targeted recruits based on rivals.com. That's how bad this thing was before Shannon.

CedarPhin
08-04-2010, 04:29 PM
For what it's worth, on College Football Live, they picked Miami to go 10-2 and play in a BCS game.

TedSlimmJr
08-04-2010, 05:54 PM
For what it's worth, on College Football Live, they picked Miami to go 10-2 and play in a BCS game.

There's no reason why they shouldn't.... the only thing that can stop them is the head coach costing them an extra game or two somewhere...

The only games they should lose IMO is perhaps to Ohio St. in the shoe, and VT in late November...

They should nip FSU at home... and Butch's Carolina team that could have half the defense suspended...

That team is loaded with talent Miami fans.... but they need to toughen up... be physical on offense and defense... run the football and tackle on defense....

COphinphan89
08-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Former coaches have said that Coker targeted recruits based on rivals.com. That's how bad this thing was before Shannon.
OK. This made me laugh for a good minute. Had no idea that it was that bad.