PDA

View Full Version : Mike Nolan, why all the hype?

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 02:23 PM
I see that alot of people are all excited to have Mike Nolan on board, but I cant for the life of me figure out why. I checked out stats from his coaching career and can't really believe that him as the Dolphins DC is a good thing...

Im gonna leave out the early years with the Giants, cause the game and players have changed alot since then, but his defense ranked between 11-12 those years...93-96...

On to the Redskins..In 1997 Nolan became the DC for the skins, a pretty decent year with the D finishing ranked 16th...in 1998 they took a big fall finishing ranked 24th....his final year in 99, the Skins took a turn for the worse and finished 30th, 2nd to LAST...

Nolan made a brief stop in NY, where he was the DC for the Jets in 2000 under Al Groh. The Defense finished ranked 10th. Both Nolan and Groh were gone after 1 season.

In 2002, Nolan was hired as the DC in Baltimore....The year prior to Nolan arriving in Bmore, the Ravens D finished ranekd #2....His 1st year, they dropped all the way 22nd ranked. 20 spots? In 2003, they jumped back up to 3rd and his final year they finished 6th best...SIDE NOTE: Rex Ryan was the D line coach of the Ravens starting in 99. While D line coach, the Line finished ranked 2nd, 1st and 4th respectfully under Ryan. Nolan's 1st year, the line finished ranked 13th.

In 2005, Nolan moved on to fill the HC position of the SF 49er's, a team that finished 2-14 under Dennis Erickson in 2004. However, that same year the Defense finished ranked 24th. Well, in 2005 the 49er's finished 4-12 and the Defense finished dead last, ranked 32nd. In 2006, the 9er's finished 7-9, the defense did jump up a few spots tho, ranked 26th. In 2007 the 9er's went backwards finishing 5-11, a year which his defense finished ranked 25th. 2008 was a dissaster for Nolan, getting fired mid-season after a 2-5 start. When he was fired the defense was ranked 27th, but finished 13th once Singletary took over and finished 5-4. Side note: 9er's defense finished 15th in 2009.

In 2009, Nolan was hired as Denver's DC, starting off great with a 6-0 record. However, the team then lost EIGHT straight and finished 8-8, and Mcdaniels as well as Nolan "mutualy agreed" Nolan would resign after a terrible finish.

Some could argue that being connected to these coaches is some? of his succes... Mike Nolan has been linked to more than one coaching tree . He was a defensive coordinator for Brian Billick (who is part of the Sid Gillman/Bill Walsh coaching tree),AL Groh (who is part of the Bill Parcells coaching tree), and Norv Turner(part of the Jimmy Johnson tree).

And jumping off Def for a minute...he was the WR coach for Balt in 2001, where they finished ranked 17th.

I just don't see how people label him a defensive genius....thoughts/comments?

spiketex
08-08-2010, 03:07 PM
You seemed to gloss over the Baltimore and the Denver efforts. He's a lot more creative than Paul Pasqueloni. He has a reputation of developing talent. I think that we upgraded and were lucky to get him.

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Gloss over? Baltimore ALWAYS has a top 5-10 defense...Proof of that is prior to his DC position with Bmore, in 1999, 2000, 2001 the Ravens finished each season ranked 2nd in total DEF. After he left for SF, Ravens finished 5th, 1st, 6th, 2nd and 3rd in Defense from 05-09...The Broncos went 2-8 to close out season...thats effort?

Nublar7
08-08-2010, 03:27 PM
I see that alot of people are all excited to have Mike Nolan on board, but I cant for the life of me figure out why. I checked out stats from his coaching career and can't really believe that him as the Dolphins DC is a good thing...

Im gonna leave out the early years with the Giants, cause the game and players have changed alot since then, but his defense ranked between 11-12 those years...93-96...

On to the Redskins..In 1997 Nolan became the DC for the skins, a pretty decent year with the D finishing ranked 16th...in 1998 they took a big fall finishing ranked 24th....his final year in 99, the Skins took a turn for the worse and finished 30th, 2nd to LAST...

Nolan made a brief stop in NY, where he was the DC for the Jets in 2000 under Al Groh. The Defense finished ranked 10th. Both Nolan and Groh were gone after 1 season.

In 2002, Nolan was hired as the DC in Baltimore....The year prior to Nolan arriving in Bmore, the Ravens D finished ranekd #2....His 1st year, they dropped all the way 22nd ranked. 20 spots? In 2003, they jumped back up to 3rd and his final year they finished 6th best...SIDE NOTE: Rex Ryan was the D line coach of the Ravens starting in 99. While D line coach, the Line finished ranked 2nd, 1st and 4th respectfully under Ryan. Nolan's 1st year, the line finished ranked 13th.

In 2005, Nolan moved on to fill the HC position of the SF 49er's, a team that finished 2-14 under Dennis Erickson in 2004. However, that same year the Defense finished ranked 24th. Well, in 2005 the 49er's finished 4-12 and the Defense finished dead last, ranked 32nd. In 2006, the 9er's finished 7-9, the defense did jump up a few spots tho, ranked 26th. In 2007 the 9er's went backwards finishing 5-11, a year which his defense finished ranked 25th. 2008 was a dissaster for Nolan, getting fired mid-season after a 2-5 start. When he was fired the defense was ranked 27th, but finished 13th once Singletary took over and finished 5-4. Side note: 9er's defense finished 15th in 2009.

In 2009, Nolan was hired as Denver's DC, starting off great with a 6-0 record. However, the team then lost EIGHT straight and finished 8-8, and Mcdaniels as well as Nolan "mutualy agreed" Nolan would resign after a terrible finish.

Some could argue that being connected to these coaches is some? of his succes... Mike Nolan has been linked to more than one coaching tree . He was a defensive coordinator for Brian Billick (who is part of the Sid Gillman/Bill Walsh coaching tree),AL Groh (who is part of the Bill Parcells coaching tree), and Norv Turner(part of the Jimmy Johnson tree).

And jumping off Def for a minute...he was the WR coach for Balt in 2001, where they finished ranked 17th.

You are a Jets fan, so of course you would overlook all the positives of Nolan and only notice the negatives.

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 03:28 PM
You are a Jets fan, so of course you would overlook all the positives of Nolan and only notice the negatives.

You have any positives? That is his career right there. Where do I find the positives?

Romy148
08-08-2010, 03:30 PM
Wow how can Nolan be a hype he is way better than Paul.

pacresjt
08-08-2010, 03:32 PM
With the exception of Baltimore that's a bunch of bad teams he worked with. I wonder how the talent level was in those cities. Also wonder most importantly how many points those teams gave up and how his red zone defense ranked. If you have time look Into that.

Nublar7
08-08-2010, 03:33 PM
You have any positives? That is his career right there. Where do I find the positives?As a Jets fan, I don't expect you to see them. I don't think it really is worth Dolphin fans time trying to convince a Jets fan about why Nolan's hire is a positive. Like nyjunc, you are not going to change your mind, so why bother?

Mr.B
08-08-2010, 03:37 PM
As a Jets fan, I don't expect you to see them. I don't think it really is worth Dolphin fans time trying to convince a Jets fan about why Nolan's hire is a positive. Like nyjunc, you are not going to change your mind, so why bother?

Couldn't of said it better. We could EASILY go through the Jets roster and find stuff that they are excited about, and trash it. Maybe how LT wont be be as productive as Jones was for them last year, or that Greene is way too hyped up.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Jets fan you say? I figured if he would rather have Pasqualoni than Nolan, he was a complete idiot, but being a Jets fan explains it.

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Couldn't of said it better. We could EASILY go through the Jets roster and find stuff that they are excited about, and trash it. Maybe how LT wont be be as productive as Jones was for them last year, or that Greene is way too hyped up.

Both those players have positive backgrounds...Nolan, not so much. Btw, LT is Leon's replacement and Greene is Jones replacement...

Ruby2
08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Nolan is an average defensive coordinator. The pom pom wavers on here fail to realize this.

SebasMiamiFan
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Both those players have positive backgrounds...Nolan, not so much. Btw, LT is Leon's replacement and Greene is Jones replacement...

That's a pretty bad downgrade. An old injury prone LT and a injury prone sophomore Greene.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Nolan is an average defensive coordinator. The pom pom wavers on here fail to realize this.
:err:

j-off-her-doll
08-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Denver's best players on D are old, and the D is undersized. It's not surprising that they withered away as the season progressed. It was, though, Nolan's "genius" that had them flourishing early. Look at how that D played the season before Nolan got there. Also, Nolan's first bad year with the Ravens can be attributed to the switch to 3-4 among other things.

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 03:52 PM
That's a pretty bad downgrade. An old injury prone LT and a injury prone sophomore Greene.

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

:err:

Please refrain from inappropriate language. Thank you.

I remember many of fin fans saying same thing when we brought in old washed up career back RB Jones. How'd that work out?

1 dol fan
08-08-2010, 03:52 PM
ummm... I was looking for the Henne Vs. Sanchez thread... is this it?

Nublar7
08-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Nolan is an average defensive coordinator. The pom pom wavers on here fail to realize this.Another Jet fan chimes in. See Dolphin fans, I am trying to save you the time in trying to convince these guys of the positives. Just not worth the time.

j-off-her-doll

This coming from the same poster who said that Sanchez's arm is as strong as Henne's . . . and then that it didn't matter whether or not the statement was true . . .

After Nolan's D forces Dirty to throw 10 INT's in two games, are going to to recant your statement saying that it doesn't matter because Rex Ryan has bigger ****? You don't know football.

R_t_Kraken

naw man Shonn Greene is the future #1 RB in the NFL.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQqgJkoeIdU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQqgJkoeIdU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

DisturbedShifty
Correct me if I am wrong. But wasn't Mike Nolan one of Rex Ryan's big influences in how he would eventually set up defensive schemes?

SebasMiamiFan
08-08-2010, 03:56 PM

So you belive LT will do as well as Thomas Jones? Not only is LT 31 years old and injury prone, he's also never really had a good game against the Dolphins. It was apparent that he was on the decline last year and it will only get worse.

EvilDylan
08-08-2010, 04:01 PM
naw man Shonn Greene is the future #1 RB in the NFL.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQqgJkoeIdU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gQqgJkoeIdU&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow do you see the speed difference between Vontae and Sean Smith? I wonder if Smith was running full speed but DAvis blew past him and everyone else.

SebasMiamiFan
08-08-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't mind to hear opinions from other fan bases, but please refrain from using inappropriate language and keep it civil. Also, in my opinion, this is the worst thread I've seen all month. Congratulations!

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
So you belive LT will do as well as Thomas Jones? Not only is LT 31 years old and injury prone, he's also never really had a good game against the Dolphins. It was apparent that he was on the decline last year and it will only get worse.

I guess Sproles, in just his 5th season, was on the decline too? From a 5.4 avg in 08, to 3.7 in 09? Nothing to do with the decline of the Oline im sure....

mmikel30
08-08-2010, 04:05 PM
. Like nyjunc, you are not going to change your mind, so why bother? LOL.... This is so true about Nyjunc
Explaining your point to him is like talking to rain man ....LOL

Geforce
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM

It's interesting that you failed to mention that only five (5) players on that defense played all 16 games which included rookie strong safety (that's right strong safety) Ed Reed. Ray Lewis only played five (5) games.

As far as the hype involving Mike Nolan, when you hear players say things like this, you cannot help but have the hype machine running full speed ahead.

"He's going to put a top-five defense on the field," said Dolphins defensive end Marques Douglas (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2120). "If we don't do that, we're not living up to our potential. Coaches don't play on Sunday, but the scheme is tried and true. If we're not top three at the end of the year, it's on us."

"It's not a stagnant defense," Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8484) said of the change. "Last year, some of the games you knew what we were going to do. I would know what the coach was going to call before he calls it.

"Mike Nolan has so many different calls and blitzes and ways to attack. He mixes it up. Corners get a chance to blitz. Safeties get a chance to blitz. Defensive tackles and ends are covering people. It's fun to learn and fun to be in because you're always doing something new and not just banging your head against a wall."
http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/15877/mike-nolan-here-to-rouse-dolphins-defense

"Made me want to go and play safety seeing Yeremiah Bell running around like a mad man," said tight end Anthony Fasano. "If an offense doesn't study them hard they are going to have trouble."

Fasano and his unit should know, considering Nolan's schemes have given the offense fits all week, consistently applying pressure to the quarterback.

What's most troubling, or enticing — depending on how you wish to view it — is that the pressure is coming from everywhere. Inside linebacker blitzes. Outside linebacker blitzes. Cornerback and safety blitzes. Defensive line stunts.

"You never know where we're coming from, and with me and Channing [Crowder] on the inside we can play Mike and Moe (linebacker spots) and it throws the offense off. Today we had them really confused," Dansby said.

"That's how we're going to blow some people away [this season], I think."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-08-07/sports/fl-dolphins-main-0808-20100807_1_blitzes-nolan-carroll-karlos-dansby

Here's an article from Mike Beradino that further illustrates why Mike Nolan deserves the hype he is getting.

Talked with Ozzie Newsome, Ravens vice president of player personnel, about a man he employed on the Ravens coaching staff for four seasons (2001-04) at the start of the decade.

"Very knowledgeable," Newsome said. "Understands the 3-4 defense, understands
what offenses are trying to do and knows how to attack them. He’s very
detailed and very structured and is a very, very good teacher."

Nolan is known for his aggressive approach to defense. Some reports had him leaving Denver over a clash with Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels in terms of how much blitzing the defense should be doing (Nolan wanted more, McDaniels less).

But there's a difference between just trying to unleash hell and doing it prudently, Newsome said.

"He knows how to do it," Newsome said of Nolan. "A lot of people can bring 'em, but you've got to know how to do it."
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/01/ozzie-newsome-praises-new-miami-dolphins-hire-mike-nolan.html

Clipse
08-08-2010, 04:09 PM

I remember many of fin fans saying same thing when we brought in old washed up career back RB Jones. How'd that work out?

Funny because I don't remember it that way at all. Thomas Jones was 28/29 coming off a couple very good seasons with only 1,349 career carries. LT is 31, with 2,880 career carries and has been awful the last 2 seasons. But keep trying to convince yourself LT can still play.

SebasMiamiFan
08-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I guess Sproles, in just his 5th season, was on the decline too? From a 5.4 avg in 08, to 3.7 in 09? Nothing to do with the decline of the Oline im sure....

Sproles is not 31 and he hasn't been pounding the ball like LT through his whole career. Do you really think your running game will be #1 again? It's going to be significantly worse.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Nothing to do with that at all really. To make it even worse, teams had to respect the pass, but LT still couldn't do jack **** with less people in the box.

SebasMiamiFan
08-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Nothing to do with that at all really. To make it even worse, teams had to respect the pass, but LT still couldn't do jack **** with less people in the box.

This.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 04:14 PM
It's interesting that you failed to mention that only five (5) players on that defense played all 16 games which included rookie strong safety (that's right strong safety) Ed Reed. Ray Lewis only played five (5) games.

As far as the hype involving Mike Nolan, when you hear players say things like this, you cannot help but have the hype machine running full speed ahead.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/15877/mike-nolan-here-to-rouse-dolphins-defense

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-08-07/sports/fl-dolphins-main-0808-20100807_1_blitzes-nolan-carroll-karlos-dansby

Here's an article from Mike Beradino that further illustrates why Mike Nolan deserves the hype he is getting.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/01/ozzie-newsome-praises-new-miami-dolphins-hire-mike-nolan.html

You can't expect a Jets fan to let the facts get in the way of a good story, as you can see by him leaving out the many positives to fit his agenda.

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 04:21 PM
You can't expect a Jets fan to let the facts get in the way of a good story, as you can see by him leaving out the many positives to fit his agenda.

Find me some positives, please? A few players quotes about the D coach hardly justifies him as an expert, what do you expect them to say?....Show me some positive features in his career...

XxfeensterxX
08-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Only a Jets fan . . . . .

PhinsPhan11
08-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Nolan will give us a good scheme to fit our defense, and I think with the pressure it will get the defense should be a whole lot better this year.

josekareh
08-08-2010, 04:45 PM
How can this thread have over 30 posts, come on you guys, lets discuss something smart... or at least trash the JESTS or something fun!!

tazthenomad
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM

OK - you're going to give credit to Mike Nolan's success by association to these coaches?

Did you notice that Brian Billick and Norv Turner are both widely know as offensive coaches not defensive coaches? Brian Billick was hired to turn the offense around in Baltimore and never really did even though his teams fielded good defensive units. By all accounts I've heard - he relied heavily on his assistant coaches for the defense and wasn't the primary contributor even though he gets good marks for being a good CEO and staying out of the way of success in that area. Norv Turner and defense? Really?

You have a right to your opinion but saying that Mike Nolan rode the backs of those coaches for his success is just silly.

hooshoops
08-08-2010, 05:04 PM
i think nolan's an obvious upgrade to paul p...i don't however think that he's in the elite category in the league of dc's...above average i'll say yes

redbeard75
08-08-2010, 05:06 PM
This is gonna be a long thread....

xxdolfanxx
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM

The only reason Jones and Greene had any success last year was because of the o-line. Don't make it sound like Greene is anything that special, he had a few good games to which i attribute to the gaping holes the o-line provided.

da305kid
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM

He is labeled a defensive guru for a reason, certain Coordinaters in this league are/were, Dick Labeau, Rex Ryan the blob is one and Mike Nolan is another, both have had a resounding success in BALTIMORE and come from a Defensive minded philosophy, i dont understand how you ?ion Nolan's ability but fail to see both have similar schemes, so instead of dick riding Ryan understand that two teams that mirror each other(Phins/Jets) should have the same attacking type defense as the other. To question Nolan is to question rex.

vaneasy2338
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
You know what I find funny is that people go back 10 years and talk about a coach's offense or defense. You ever think that a coach improves every year as he becomes more and more experienced. A know this is a hard concept to understand for a jets fan. Look what Mike Nolan did with Denver in his first season. I recently did a post about Mike Nolan on thephinsider. You can read it http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/8/7/1611530/the-mike-nolan-effect here.

greasyObnoxious
08-08-2010, 05:15 PM
as always, the truth is in the pudding. but people need to realize that we're going to do some real damage if Nolan can make us "only" a top 15 defense. so, generally speaking, i don't give a damn if Nolan is "elite" or "close to elite" or "above average" as long as our D improves over last year. i'm very confident this will happen.

hooshoops
08-08-2010, 05:25 PM
if he gets us in the top half of the league defensively i think that should be enough to get us to the playoffs...provided the offense doesn't fall off...and i see no reason it would do anything but improve

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 05:43 PM
The only reason Jones and Greene had any success last year was because of the o-line. Don't make it sound like Greene is anything that special, he had a few good games to which i attribute to the gaping holes the o-line provided.

Thank you! I actually agree with you. I do believe that Jones, Greene, Leon, Jordan, Martin were all products of the Jets oline. I know the line has changed over the years, but it is ALWAYS solid. Last year may have been the best. I do not believe the loss of Faneca will have any significance on the production of the line(See Kendall, McKenzie, Randy Thomas, Fabini). I do believe that Greene AND LT will flourish behind this Oline as well as T-Rich and "The Terminator"...I do believe Jones will FAIL in KC, as did Cassell... Fin fans would agree Gibril Wilson was a "product" of the Giants Defense, and not him self a "superstar" like the Fin FO paid him as?

3rdandinches
08-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Nolan shouldn't get any credit especially when you compare him with a great coach like Ryan that one year got a HOF QB and failed to make the playoffs after starting 8-3 then Farve goes to the NFC championship a year later with Minnesota. Then the next year strategically got his team to a stellar 7-7 and had two teams roll over for them.

Nolan may not be as great as Ryan but with that track record I hope he never is, lol!

hooshoops
08-08-2010, 05:46 PM
i actually think shonn greene is a pretty good football player...maybe not as much wiggle as some or explosion as some but i think if he's healthy this year he's going for 1200 plus yards...and double digit tds

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Nolan shouldn't get any credit especially when you compare him with a great coach like Ryan that one year got a HOF QB and failed to make the playoffs after starting 8-3 then Farve goes to the NFC championship a year later with Minnesota. Then the next year strategically got his team to a stellar 7-7 and had two teams roll over for them.

Nolan may not be as great as Ryan but with that track record I hope he never is, lol!

UMMMM.....Rex NEVER coached Favre! lol

KlausC
08-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Mangini was the coach when Favre was here.

utahphinsfan
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM

Wow. Sounds like 98% of BYU fans.

I don't think even NYC could handle those 2 enormous egos.

If RR is reading, I did not mention eggos.

sinPHIN
08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
where is the ban button

Vaark
08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
OP's just an azzhole Jest fan without the balls to admit or acknowledge it on a superior forum. Fact is: Nolan is Obi Wan Kanobe to 7-7-2 Fatso's grasshopper.

zach8111
08-08-2010, 06:36 PM

or like if you look at sanchez season, he wasnt very good... 53 comp percent, 2400 yards, 12 TDs 20 INTs, 26 sacks (off a really good O-line), 10 Fum (3 lost)

JRoX85
08-08-2010, 06:36 PM

Dude if your going to base a persons entire career by stats alone look at your jets finishing 20th in offense last year!!!! Should you have made the champ game last season? hell no, did you?? yes, therefore stats don't mean crap....

If your going to bash Nolan, you might as well be bashing your headcoach and your whole offensive unit..

Oh yeah and as I remember Nolan is the guy that brought the pieces in for that Balty defense, and everywhere else he has coached

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 06:51 PM
Dude if your going to base a persons entire career by stats alone look at your jets finishing 20th in offense last year!!!! Should you have made the champ game last season? hell no, did you?? yes, therefore stats don't mean crap....

If your going to bash Nolan, you might as well be bashing your headcoach and your whole offensive unit..

Oh yeah and as I remember Nolan is the guy that brought the pieces in for that Balty defense, and everywhere else he has coached

The Jets proved they should be there beating both the Bungles and Jolts(11 game win streak) on the ROAD in the playoffs...The fish could have made it, but they decided to lose out and miss the chance.

And I think you remember wrong..Nolan brought what to piece to what puzzle when he took a 2nd ranked Def(2001) and made them 22nd ranked(2002)? 1999 they were 2nd, 2000 they were 2nd, 2001 they were 2nd...Matter of fact, the last time the Ravens finished ranked #1 defense, REX was the DC! 2006

And bash the whole off unit? Didn't we finish 1st in rushing?

thefranchisedef
08-08-2010, 07:01 PM
we all know about mike nolan from the broncos. the miracle worker who turned an ugly 2008 denver defense into the respectful 2009 broncos defense that created turnovers and quarterback struggles. Mike Nolan is known around the league as a defensive mastermind.

Mike Nolan doesn't just play the 3-4.. he's also known for the hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense. He is one of the best defensive coordinators of our time, at getting after the quarterback and creating turnovers.
During his first season as the New york giants defensive coordinator, in 1993, The giants were ranked 1st in points allowed and 5th in yards allowed. The previous defensive coordinator had the giants ranked 26th in points and 18th in defense.

During his first season as the Redskins defensive coordinator, the redskins were 8th in points allowed, and 16th in yards allowed. that may not seem very good but that was 5 spots higher in points allowed and 12 spots higher in yards allowed compared to the previous regime..

I understand that most people like talking about bill belicheck as being a guru on defense. How about mike nolan taking over for him in 2000 and being 4 spots lower than him in points allowed but, 11 spots better in yards allowed...

During his tenure in Baltimore, mike nolan had alot of success. even without ray lewis 2/3rds of the season, in 2002, mike nolan still had his team top 10 in turnovers. The two years after that season, mike nolan had his team top 5 in defense and top 5 in turnovers. Note that during his tenure in baltimore, ray lewis endured his best seasons as a pro. including his injury plagued season, in which he still managed to finish top 5 on the team in tackles.

The positive, out of the time spent in the 49ers organization, was patrick willis. In the one season with mike nolan, patrick willis had his best season to date with 174 tackles.

No need to explain the broncos term. We all know what he did..

So, you see that mike nolan was and is a defensive guru. Rex Ryan had a better defensive roster to work with as a ravens defensive coordinator. He had the luxury of having Ngata and Terrell Suggs. Not to mention the prime of bart scotts career.
When Mike Nolan is given a top 10 middle linebacker, his defensive philosophy usually dominates. the only exception is in sanfran and thats due in part to him not being the defensive coordinator but, the coach. I'm not saying Mike Nolan is a great head coach, im saying he's a great defensive coordinator. His resume speaks for its self.

so, here is my question.. Do you believe the hype? The defensive coordinator makes the defense that much better. Gregg williams took the saints over the top, watch mike nolan do the same with miami this year..

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 07:19 PM
The Saints last year had the 25th ranked Def on nfl.com....On Profootball focus.com they were ranked LAST....go figure...

thefranchisedef
08-08-2010, 07:24 PM
they were also 2nd best in the league in turnovers.. go figure, they won the superbowl off an interception.. guess who else specializes in turnovers? hmmm.. mike nolan

what else do you have for me? i've come to FU** THINGS UP!

Notorious
08-08-2010, 07:33 PM
All I know at the end of the day is the Dolphins are on a 3 game streak against the jets right?

All your talk about us choking and losing out to miss the playoffs.. the year before your precious jets had a chance to make the playoffs but an unnamed former Jets QB put a hurting on his former team to win the division for the Dolphins. This all goes without mentioning the teams that let the jets into the playoffs last year to begin with.

You dis dolphins fans for hiring an accomplished defensive coach, but your fan base is riding every desperation trade, fa signing, or move your front office makes. You buy into your hype machine and we will see who gets the last laugh.

Phinatic8u
08-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Mark Sanchez, why all the hype?

thefranchisedef
08-08-2010, 07:58 PM
rex ryan, why all the fat?

Clipse
08-08-2010, 08:30 PM
The Jets proved they should be there beating both the Bungles and Jolts(11 game win streak) on the ROAD in the playoffs...The fish could have made it, but they decided to lose out and miss the chance.

And I think you remember wrong..Nolan brought what to piece to what puzzle when he took a 2nd ranked Def(2001) and made them 22nd ranked(2002)? 1999 they were 2nd, 2000 they were 2nd, 2001 they were 2nd...Matter of fact, the last time the Ravens finished ranked #1 defense, REX was the DC! 2006

And bash the whole off unit? Didn't we finish 1st in rushing?

How nice of you to forget some facts. Like the fact that that 22nd ranked defense still allowed less points, while getting more takeaways and sacks than Rex Ryan's 2007 defense. Or the fact that Mike Nolan's 2003 and 2004 defenses were better statistically than Ryan's 2005 and 2007 defenses, and each having more takeaways/sacks than Ryan's 2008 defense. I sure don't see you mentioning that 2007 defense that gave up 24 points a game, which was the worse the Ravens have given up since 1996. I don't see you mentioning that the 26 takeaways in 2005, and the 23 takeaways in 2007 were the two least amount of takeways by the Ravens since 1998. I haven't heard you mention those 32 sacks in 2007 were the least amount of sacks generated by that Ravens defense since 1996. You also forgot to mention that Nolan's defense averaged more takeaways than Ryans defense, but had less sacks. And even that sack average was helped by the 2006 defense where they had 60 sacks which was obviously an idiosyncrasy for Ryan. All this while Ryan arguably had better players to work with, especially that 2006 roster which had some ridiculous talent. And this goes for Nolan too. Those Raven's defenses had just as much to do with the talent, than the coaching

It's also not surprising of you to choose not to mention that Ray Lewis only played 5 games in 2002. As well as not mentioning the Ravens salary cap problems causing them to get rid of some of their key contributors on defense like Sam Adams, Jamie Sharper, Rod Woodson, Michael McCrary, Duane Starks, Corey Harris, and Tony Siragusa.

But you continue on with your selective thinking rather than let the facts get in the way of your ignorant analysis.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
The Saints last year had the 25th ranked Def on nfl.com....On Profootball focus.com they were ranked LAST....go figure...

But go ahead and disregard that the Saints were in the top half in the NFL in pass defense. Allowing a 4th best 57.5 completion rate, a 3rd best 68.6 average QB rating, and a 5th best 15 passing TD's allowed. Also they were 3rd in the NFL with 26 INT's, and 2nd in the NFL with 39 takeaways.

And it was mostly because of Gregg Williams attacking defensive scheme.

DOL_FAN_1
08-08-2010, 09:06 PM
hey anything is better then a defensive strategy that is lets not lose lets just prevent Prevent D equals LOSS!!!!!! offense gets up 20 and its time to send some MAJOR PRESSURE!!!

The Goat
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Gloss over? Baltimore ALWAYS has a top 5-10 defense...Proof of that is prior to his DC position with Bmore, in 1999, 2000, 2001 the Ravens finished each season ranked 2nd in total DEF. After he left for SF, Ravens finished 5th, 1st, 6th, 2nd and 3rd in Defense from 05-09...The Broncos went 2-8 to close out season...thats effort?

Hi. Did you just accidentally discredit Rex Ryan?

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 09:32 PM
OK - you're going to give credit to Mike Nolan's success by association to these coaches?

Did you notice that Brian Billick and Norv Turner are both widely know as offensive coaches not defensive coaches? Brian Billick was hired to turn the offense around in Baltimore and never really did even though his teams fielded good defensive units. By all accounts I've heard - he relied heavily on his assistant coaches for the defense and wasn't the primary contributor even though he gets good marks for being a good CEO and staying out of the way of success in that area. Norv Turner and defense? Really?

You have a right to your opinion but saying that Mike Nolan rode the backs of those coaches for his success is just silly.

I'm not giving him any credit, and it certainly isn't my opinion. It's actually plagiarized right off Wilkipedia..

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 09:38 PM
How nice of you to forget some facts. Like the fact that that 22nd ranked defense still allowed less points, while getting more takeaways and sacks than Rex Ryan's 2007 defense. Or the fact that Mike Nolan's 2003 and 2004 defenses were better statistically than Ryan's 2005 and 2007 defenses, and each having more takeaways/sacks than Ryan's 2008 defense. I sure don't see you mentioning that 2007 defense that gave up 24 points a game, which was the worse the Ravens have given up since 1996. I don't see you mentioning that the 26 takeaways in 2005, and the 23 takeaways in 2007 were the two least amount of takeways by the Ravens since 1998. I haven't heard you mention those 32 sacks in 2007 were the least amount of sacks generated by that Ravens defense since 1996. You also forgot to mention that Nolan's defense averaged more takeaways than Ryans defense, but had less sacks. And even that sack average was helped by the 2006 defense where they had 60 sacks which was obviously an idiosyncrasy for Ryan. All this while Ryan arguably had better players to work with, especially that 2006 roster which had some ridiculous talent. And this goes for Nolan too. Those Raven's defenses had just as much to do with the talent, than the coaching

It's also not surprising of you to choose not to mention that Ray Lewis only played 5 games in 2002. As well as not mentioning the Ravens salary cap problems causing them to get rid of some of their key contributors on defense like Sam Adams, Jamie Sharper, Rod Woodson, Michael McCrary, Duane Starks, Corey Harris, and Tony Siragusa.

But you continue on with your selective thinking rather than let the facts get in the way of your ignorant analysis.

R&R...I may have left that out, but my busy life must have gotten in the way....It's not hard to quick look and see what a defense was ranked OVERALL, but once you start getting into all those numbers, which clearly meant nothing, based on the OVERALL rank, well, thats just too time consuming for some who have better things to do...just sayin. BTW, a fellow fin fan mentioned the Ray Lewis playing time, again, too time consuming for me....

tazthenomad
08-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I'm not giving him any credit, and it certainly isn't my opinion. It's actually plagiarized right off Wilkipedia..

You bothered to quote and post from Wikipedia when it's not your opinion? What was the point then?

Clipse
08-08-2010, 09:45 PM
R&R...I may have left that out, but my busy life must have gotten in the way....It's not hard to quick look and see what a defense was ranked OVERALL, but once you start getting into all those numbers, which clearly meant nothing, based on the OVERALL rank, well, thats just too time consuming for some who have better things to do...just sayin. BTW, a fellow fin fan mentioned the Ray Lewis playing time, again, too time consuming for me....

In other words, owned? If you can't bring actual facts to the table to prove your claim, then don't comment. Otherwise you'll be exposed for the clueless being you are. Yes, those facts mean nothing, because they don't support your agenda. You've been posting in this thread all day, why do I get the opinion perhaps you don't have better things to do?

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
In other words, owned? If you can't bring actual facts to the table, then don't comment. Otherwise you'll be exposed for the clueless being you are. Yes, those facts mean nothing, because they don't support your agenda.

Owned? This thread was asking, why all the hype? I haven't seen this genius, this great DC in recent years hold a job for more than 3 years...SO, whats so great about him that only fin fans see?? And, all you did was compare to Rex Ryan in other years with the Ravens? I don't get it? Your leaving out Nolan's worst year and Ryan's best year, so what are you comparing? Only the BETTER Nolan years?

R&R...why you compare Nolan's 03-04 season to Rex 05-07 season? You just compare Nolan's best against Ryan's worst? What sense/point does that make? Your saying Nolan's best years with Ravens in 03-04 were better than Ryan's WORST seasons with Ravens...Lets be fair...Ryans BEST seaons 06-08 were BETTER than Nolan's BEST, correct?

Ryans BEST...2006...13-3 record, 201 pts allowed, +17 give/take, 60 sacks, 28 int's....2008...11-5...244 pts allowed...33 sacks..26 int's...+13 give/take
Nolans BEST...2003...10-6...281 pts allowed...+3 give/take...47 sacks...24 int's...2004...9-7...268 pts allowed...39 sacks...21 int's....+11 give/take..

PATSSUCK
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
In other words, owned? If you can't bring actual facts to the table to prove your claim, then don't comment. Otherwise you'll be exposed for the clueless being you are. Yes, those facts mean nothing, because they don't support your agenda. You've been posting in this thread all day, why do I get the opinion perhaps you don't have better things to do?

Wow, you just embarrassed this joker. I almost feel bad, but then I remembered y
that Jet fans are the scum of the earth.

vaneasy2338
08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
R&R...I may have left that out, but my busy life must have gotten in the way....It's not hard to quick look and see what a defense was ranked OVERALL, but once you start getting into all those numbers, which clearly meant nothing, based on the OVERALL rank, well, thats just too time consuming for some who have better things to do...just sayin. BTW, a fellow fin fan mentioned the Ray Lewis playing time, again, too time consuming for me.... So you take a quick look at a few facts skewed to your point of view while ignoring the details, and wonder why you don't understand the hype? Then R&R shows you the details and you still ignore them because you "don't have the time". You see the hype, you just want to ignore it.

PATSSUCK
08-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Owned? This thread was asking, why all the hype? I haven't seen this genius, this great DC in recent years hold a job for more than 3 years...SO, whats so great about him that only fin fans see??

Funny how John Clayton, Jay Glazer, Ozzie Newsome all say he is very good. No one cares about your opinion or questions. Why all the hype on Sanchez??? He sucked last year.

Motcrue4
08-08-2010, 10:03 PM
this whole thread is a waste since it was started by a jets fan. why even bother responding to it?

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 10:08 PM
So you take a quick look at a few facts skewed to your point of view while ignoring the details, and wonder why you don't understand the hype? Then R&R shows you the details and you still ignore them because you "don't have the time". You see the hype, you just want to ignore it.

R&R...why you compare Nolan's 03-04 season to Rex 05-07 season? You just compare Nolan's best against Ryan's worst? What sense/point does that make? Your saying Nolan's best years with Ravens in 03-04 were better than Ryan's WORST seasons with Ravens...Lets be fair...Ryans BEST seaons 06-08 were BETTER than Nolan's BEST, correct?

Ryans BEST...2006...13-3 record, 201 pts allowed, +17 give/take, 60 sacks, 28 int's....2008...11-5...244 pts allowed...33 sacks..26 int's...+13 give/take
Nolans BEST...2003...10-6...281 pts allowed...+3 give/take...47 sacks...24 int's...2004...9-7...268 pts allowed...39 sacks...21 int's....+11 give/take..

HE compares Nolans BEST year to Ryans WORST....Thats fair?? Heres a look at both coaches best years with Ravens....you be the judge...

Clipse
08-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Owned? This thread was asking, why all the hype? I haven't seen this genius, this great DC in recent years hold a job for more than 3 years...SO, whats so great about him that only fin fans see??

Well for one, he's a massive upgrade over Pasqualoni. If you can't see that you're either blind, a homer, or both. He was great in Baltimore. Bad in San Francisco. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't they run a 4-3 the majority of the time even though Nolan is a 3-4 guy? Also, besides Patrick Willis, those defenses weren't exactly talented. And of course last year, he took one of the worst defenses in the NFL, and made them a top 10 defense in 1 season, despite having to convert from a 4-3 to 3-4. The defense gave up 8 ppg less, and 50 YPG less. The Bronco's defense also went from 13 takeaways and 26 sacks, to 30 takeaways, and 39 sacks.

He's coming to take over one of the most talented defenses in the league. By talented I mean this is a defense full of young players with lots of potential, many being high draft picks. It's also a defense full of versatile players who can play the 3-4 and 4-3, which is great for Nolan since he uses a hybrid defense. This will be the first team since the Jets that Nolan has taken over that already runs a 3-4, and already has 3-4 players. In Baltimore, San Fran, and Denver he took over 4-3 defenses. If his past is any indication, the Dolphins will be among the best year in and year out in sacks/hits/pressures and takeaways.

So there you have it. We're excited because he's a huge upgrade over Pasqualoni, and has the talent to make this a top 5-10 defense.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 10:20 PM

HE compares Nolans BEST year to Ryans WORST....Thats fair?? Heres a look at both coaches best years with Ravens....you be the judge...

I said Ryan's 2006 defense was amazing. My actual point of my post was to show you that Nolan and Ryan aren't far off as DC's, and their defenses very comparable. Also Nolan is the one who paved the way for Ryan. He implemented that 3-4 defense, and brought in a lot of that talent.

vaneasy2338
08-08-2010, 10:28 PM

HE compares Nolans BEST year to Ryans WORST....Thats fair?? Heres a look at both coaches best years with Ravens....you be the judge... If you think that the 2006 team didn't have more talent than any of Nolan's defenses than you're an idiot. You fail to mention his number one ranked scoring defense with the gaints. You ignore turnovers and sacks with most of his defenses. In most posts you use overall defense based on yards not points. Are you kidding me. What is that s***? Scoring defense is what every knowledgable football fan uses, not defense based on yardage. And most of all, you completely ignore the great turnaround he had with the Broncos. HIS MOST RECENT DEFENSE. You are going to countinue to ignore what you want, so no point in argueing.

dolpns13
08-08-2010, 10:33 PM

?

Without even reading further.. do you think PISSqualoni as DC was a good thing? If you believe Nolan is a better DC than PISSqualoni is, youre already ahead of the game.

KlausC
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Mathis, this thread is an embarrassment to Jets fans. Just stop already, you have much more important things in your life to worry about anyway, right?

crashfan
08-08-2010, 10:54 PM

Great research and thought in this post. I have a question though. Do you have a life?

With work and my family I have just enough time to keep up with those two. Let alone going on to the jets, pats, and bills websites and reasearching what I think are their flaws. Yes, you may have a point in some of the research you have done. However, I know that The Tuna and company did their research before bringing on Nolan. I know this sounds crazy but I ( and every Dolphin Fan on this site) trust The Tuna's judgement over yours.
Please do yourself and family (which I hope you have) a favor and spend some quality (positive) time with them. Don't occupy your time which could have been spent with your family and friends on this website.
We don't care what you think.

crashfan
08-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Mathis, this thread is an embarrassment to Jets fans. Just stop already, you have much more important things in your life to worry about anyway, right?

You are right on.

Phinatic8u
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM

So Willie, do you think Nolan is a good Cordinator.

Phinatic8u
08-08-2010, 11:07 PM
And Mathis you fail to realize that Nolan brought in most of the talent that Ryan Coached. Nolan is a defensive guru.

KlausC
08-08-2010, 11:08 PM

Of course he is, and he's from the same coaching tree as Rex to boot. I was not happy at all when the fins managed to land him.

haoleboy
08-08-2010, 11:19 PM
I've got to admit, I agree with some of the skepticism around Nolan. Folks here in Denver were pretty happy to get rid of him, but now that he's with the Fins soem say he's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm taking a wait and see approach with him. He's got some talent on the defensive sidd of the ball, but he'll have his challanges as well.

Looking for the offense to be the major force of this team this year.

Phinatic8u
08-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Well Willie I'm happy your the only sane Jets poster on this site. I went to ganggreen the other day and wow, all they do is jack eachother off and talk about how there going to the superbowl. Its a ****ing hellhole lol.

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Great research and thought in this post. I have a question though. Do you have a life?

With work and my family I have just enough time to keep up with those two. Let alone going on to the jets, pats, and bills websites and reasearching what I think are their flaws. Yes, you may have a point in some of the research you have done. However, I know that The Tuna and company did their research before bringing on Nolan. I know this sounds crazy but I ( and every Dolphin Fan on this site) trust The Tuna's judgement over yours.
Please do yourself and family (which I hope you have) a favor and spend some quality (positive) time with them. Don't occupy your time which could have been spent with your family and friends on this website.
We don't care what you think.

Don't let R&R see this...that guy goes deep

Mathis81
08-08-2010, 11:28 PM

I never said Nolan wasn't good, and I really didn't intend to compare to Rex. I was just curious all the hype. Just wondering considering he hasnt held a job longer than 3 years. Like someone above posted, Denver fans were happy to see him go, yet he turned that D around? He didn't do anything in 3 1/2 years with 9er's. So, was just curious?

Phinatic8u
08-08-2010, 11:31 PM

So, you don't have a life. The only reason I'm still even awake is because my fiancé is in labor, and I'm just waiting for her to pop my baby out lol.

crashfan
08-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Dude, you need to think about things. No offense.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I never said Nolan wasn't good, and I really didn't intend to compare to Rex. I was just curious all the hype. Just wondering considering he hasnt held a job longer than 3 years. Like someone above posted, Denver fans were happy to see him go, yet he turned that D around? He didn't do anything in 3 1/2 years with 9er's. So, was just curious?

What does not holding a job longer than 3 years have to do with anything? He left the Ravens to become a head coach. He did get fired from the 49ers, but he was the head coach. And many Coordinators aren't fit to be head coaches, he's one of them. As for Denver, he and McDaniels weren't in agreement on defensive philosophy. McDaniels wanted less blitzing, Nolan didn't want to do it, so they mutually parted ways. And I have to say I disagree that the majority of Bronco's fans are happy Nolan is gone. I looked on one of the Bronco's message boards after we hired him and the majority were pretty pissed about it actually. Patience is running thin for Bronco's fans right now regarding McDaniels and for good reason.

crashfan
08-08-2010, 11:39 PM
This is BS. Go enjoy the birth of your kid and give this a break. Congrats jets Fan!

Phinatic8u
08-08-2010, 11:42 PM
This is BS. Go enjoy the birth of your kid and give this a break. Congrats jets Fan!

I can't enjoy anything when my fiancé is passed out.

j-off-her-doll
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Mathis is a troll/insert blank.

'Nuff said.

Clipse
08-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Way to prove that old sterotype that New Yorkers are the most classless jackasses isn't true :rolleyes2:

hooshoops
08-08-2010, 11:51 PM
i think mathis was just trying to throw a little humor out there...thats kind of the way i read it...i may be wrong though

anyways its getting hot in here...

crashfan
08-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I can't enjoy anything when my fiancé is passed out.

This is something I would expect a jets fan to post.

Best wishes towards a new kid in this world!

BobDole
08-08-2010, 11:56 PM
i think mathis was just trying to throw a little humor out there...thats kind of the way i read it...i may be wrong though

that was too much of a low blow to be considered a 'little humor.' had to clean that one up.

hooshoops
08-08-2010, 11:59 PM
i think it really depends on your personality...but yeah you'll get no issue from me...

Mathis81
08-09-2010, 12:01 AM

Was just joking with the guy to end the night...I just don't know where those face things are to have made it look like I was just messing with him...Sorry if taken the wrong way. And congratulations to you and your fiance...What hospital you @, i'll send the lil one a JETS ones-EE!! ;)

hooshoops
08-09-2010, 12:02 AM
what??? you're a jets fan??? well then **** off...lol j/k ...maybe

i thought the mathis was for the falcons former wr...

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:04 AM
yeah man - you definitely needed a j/k or smiley thing after a comment like that. i'd shoot him a PM and apologize or something along those lines. definitely a little much. you never know how someone will react to something like that. don't think he picked up on the sarcasm.

j-off-her-doll
08-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Hey, BD, how long have you been a moderator? Congrats if it's recent/sorry if it's been a while. I don't often pay attention to those things, but you're a good poster, and I'm sure you are/will be a good mod.

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Hey, BD, how long have you been a moderator? Congrats if it's recent/sorry if it's been a while. I don't often pay attention to those things, but you're a good poster, and I'm sure you are/will be a good mod.

thanks man. i'm new. you guys sure are throwing me into the fire with this thread. damn. :lol:

hooshoops
08-09-2010, 12:08 AM
dole joined the underworld... sell out... :lol:

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:14 AM
dole joined the underworld... sell out... :lol:

hoops - you want a mod like me on here. you know this. :lol:

hooshoops
08-09-2010, 12:15 AM
well had you joined up earlier i may not be on probation right now...lol...maybe

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:19 AM
well had you joined up earlier i may not be on probation right now...lol...maybe

even i can't prevent you from being an assface. :lol:

SebasMiamiFan
08-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I just got back from a party. This thread is still going on.... WHY!?

hooshoops
08-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I just got back from a party. This thread is still going on.... WHY!?

i'll take it you left "empty handed"

SebasMiamiFan
08-09-2010, 12:26 AM
i'll take it you left "empty handed"

What do you mean? Also, this thread was created by Jet fans saying Mike Nolan is an average DC. How can people still be talking about this?

Clipse
08-09-2010, 12:28 AM
What do you mean? Also, this thread was created by Jet fans saying Mike Nolan is an average DC. How can people still be talking about this?

I enjoy proving Jets fans to be idiots. Not sure about everyone else's motives.

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:31 AM
I enjoy proving Jets fans to be idiots. Not sure about everyone else's motives.

well you accomplished what you set out to do then. but to be fair, he made it really easy for you. don't know if i've ever seen that many copouts in one thread.

hooshoops
08-09-2010, 12:31 AM

no lady friend...thus you're back on the computer right now...

anyways the joke is dead now

SebasMiamiFan
08-09-2010, 12:36 AM
no lady friend...thus you're back on the computer right now...

anyways the joke is dead now

I got it at first, just wanted to clarify. She didn't go. Anyways, I didn't even know the HoF game was today lol.

Clipse
08-09-2010, 12:37 AM
well you accomplished what you set out to do then. but to be fair, he made it really easy for you. don't know if i've ever seen that many copouts in one thread.

Without a doubt. Wasn't even worth the time put in to do the research lol...

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Without a doubt. Wasn't even worth the time put in to do the research lol...

sure it was. you even got jet fans embarrassed to be associated with him. does it get any better? :lol:

Clipse
08-09-2010, 12:42 AM
sure it was. you even got jet fans embarrassed to be associated with him. does it get any better? :lol:

I reckon that's as good as it gets from a proving a Jets fan to be an idiot standpoint.

Mathis81
08-09-2010, 12:44 AM

Come on! Look what I did, I got this to be the hottest thread of the day! Had to keep it going, even if it made no sense! Every Jets board is swarmed with trolls, I just had to see what it was like...not bad for 1st days work. Besides, im away on business and stuck in the middle of nowhere, this was entertaining...

Phintron3000
08-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Come on! Look what I did, I got this to be the hottest thread of the day! Had to keep it going, even if it made no sense! Every Jets board is swarmed with trolls, I just had to see what it was like...not bad for 1st days work. Besides, im away on business and stuck in the middle of nowhere, this was entertaining...

lol, excuses...

16phinsrfast
08-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Come on! Look what I did, I got this to be the hottest thread of the day! Had to keep it going, even if it made no sense! Every Jets board is swarmed with trolls, I just had to see what it was like...not bad for 1st days work. Besides, im away on business and stuck in the middle of nowhere, this was entertaining....
Redundant.

BobDole
08-09-2010, 12:54 AM

entertaining it was. i will give you that.

now that you've had your trolling fun - try to be a real person from here on out. cool beans?

Mathis81
08-09-2010, 01:01 AM
entertaining it was. i will give you that.

now that you've had your trolling fun - try to be a real person from here on out. cool beans?

Yea, ill just chime in from now on. Had to just leave my mark!

Phinatic8u
08-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Lol Mathis haha your a funny dude lmao. No hard feelings everybody me and him resolved it in a PM.

nyjunc
08-09-2010, 10:31 AM

He's not a genius, he's not one of the best DCs in the league BUT he is a good one and an obvious upgrade over what you had. Your D will be alot better b/c of him but I wouldn't expect an elite defense.

Finsfalife
08-09-2010, 11:08 AM

Consensus around football is he is a well above average D coord, but at the end of the day the players will decide how solid a defense is or is not. Hence Balt being sick during and after his tenure there. Hypothetically if you were correct in your assesment of him being average, (based on nothing besides ignorant opinion) it still would be a huge upgrade for us compared to last season. Yes there are pom pom wavers in every fanbase but when football minds, who made a career playing in or coaching football, say it was quite possibley our largest acquisition of the season in Nolan, I may take their opinion over yours. We will have a much better D this year, and no one can prove 100% that is player development or coaching.....but at the end of the day the D being better is all I am concerned with