PDA

View Full Version : SI.Com Top-25 with team breakdowns

TedSlimmJr
08-17-2010, 04:11 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/08/13/preseason-top-25/index.html?eref=sihp

Discuss/

BobDole
08-17-2010, 07:12 PM
i don't know what's funnier - UF at 10 or georgia at 20. what a joke.

TedSlimmJr
08-17-2010, 07:19 PM
i don't know what's funnier - UF at 10 or georgia at 20. what a joke.

Georgia at #20 is funnier.... I'd have Auburn and Georgia flip-flopped...

I'd also have Oregon St. and Penn St. flip-flopped...

BobDole
08-17-2010, 08:15 PM
i wouldn't have georgia or uconn in there at all - i'd slide LSU and WVU in there over those catastrophes. it will take georgia at least a year or two before they're back - did you watch that defense last year? they were abysmal - with talent.

and florida at 10? are you honestly gonna tell me that teams like iowa, oregon, and wisconsin have any chance of being better than us? alabama and ohio st are the only two teams that have a chance of possessing the talent that UF has. anything past 3 for UF is absolutely laughable.

1. alabama
2. florida
3. ohio st
4. texas
5. boise st
6. va tech
7. tcu
8. iowa
9. oklahoma
10. oregon

come on.

TedSlimmJr
08-17-2010, 08:53 PM
I think it's pretty easy to see how this particular poll is basing it's top 10.... they're not falling for the hype of Florida's recruiting class... but rather basing it on the fact that the teams ranked above UF in the top 10 have more PROVEN talent, (especially at key positions) that performed in the post season last year....

I could get with LSU in over Georgia... not only is Georgia starting a freshman QB, they also don't have anything behind him if he gets hurt...literally nothing. While also going through a complete scheme transformation on defense (going to the 3-4)...

Miami is as talented as any team in the country talent for talent....

I think Texas is ranked too high, I'd put Florida above Texas... basically I'd have the top 10 like this:

1. Bama

2. Ohio St.

3. Boise St.

4. Florida

5. Virginia Tech

6. USC

7. Iowa

8. Nebraska

9. Oklahoma

10. Texas

I think Oregon St. is actually a better team than Oregon... therefore I can't have Oregon in the top 10..

JCane
08-17-2010, 09:01 PM
i wouldn't have georgia or uconn in there at all - i'd slide LSU and WVU in there over those catastrophes. it will take georgia at least a year or two before they're back - did you watch that defense last year? they were abysmal - with talent.

and florida at 10? are you honestly gonna tell me that teams like iowa, oregon, and wisconsin have any chance of being better than us? alabama and ohio st are the only two teams that have a chance of possessing the talent that UF has. anything past 3 for UF is absolutely laughable.

1. alabama
2. florida
3. ohio st
4. texas
5. boise st
6. va tech
7. tcu
8. iowa
9. oklahoma
10. oregon

come on.

You have a new QB in the SEC. You're not getting in the top three.

JCane
08-17-2010, 09:03 PM
I think it's pretty easy to see how this particular poll is basing it's top 10.... they're not falling for the hype of Florida's recruiting class... but rather basing it on the fact that the teams ranked above UF in the top 10 have more PROVEN talent, (especially at key positions) that performed in the post season last year....

I could get with LSU in over Georgia... not only is Georgia starting a freshman QB, they also don't have anything behind him if he gets hurt...literally nothing. While also going through a complete scheme transformation on defense (going to the 3-4)...

I think Texas is ranked too high, I'd put Florida above Texas... basically I'd have the top 10 like this:

1. Bama

2. Ohio St.

3. Boise St.

4. Florida

5. Virginia Tech

6. USC

7. Iowa

8. Nebraska

9. Oklahoma

10. Texas

I think Oregon St. is actually a better team than Oregon... therefore I can't have Oregon in the top 10..

I'm flip flopping Iowa/Nebraska and Oklahoma/Texas. Love that Pelini defene and I think Gilbert proved a lot against a stout Alabama team.

There was an interesting thread on the Mainboard this morning. Question was asked what if Nick Saban were the coach of Texas and Mack Brown the coach of Alabama in that title game...who wins. Silly hypothetical question, yes, but I'm rolling with Saban and Texas lol.

TedSlimmJr
08-17-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm flip flopping Iowa/Nebraska and Oklahoma/Texas. Love that Pelini defene and I think Gilbert proved a lot against a stout Alabama team.

There was an interesting thread on the Mainboard this morning. Question was asked what if Nick Saban were the coach of Texas and Mack Brown the coach of Alabama in that title game...who wins. Silly hypothetical question, yes, but I'm rolling with Saban and Texas lol.

Do you think Urban Meyer is a better coach than Mack Brown? Also, do you think that Florida was more talented last year than Texas?

I see the theory that they're trying to work there involving swapping the coaches.... and yes, Saban is a better coach than Mack Brown...

However, it wasn't so much that Alabama's roster, depth and talent was 16 points better than Texas'... what happened was that Alabama was a more physical team than Texas... and they just couldn't hold up.

Texas defense was the "#1 ranked rushing defense in the country" heading into the NC game.... both Bama's running backs rushed for over 100 yards on them....

It was a skewed stat.. because nobody in the Big-12 runs the football anyway... certainly not like Bama does...

Mack Brown didn't get outcoached..... his team just got out-physicalled (is that a word?)

In fact, Mack Brown was outcoaching Saban at first with the onside kick calls, etc... but once everybody began to settle down... Bama's power was too much to handle.

For one thing, Mack Brown couldn't throw it 50 times with McElroy... he was playing with 3 broken ribs... so Brown would've been forced to run Ingram/Richardson.. just like Saban did.

I think Bama still wins the game with Mack coaching... but it would've been closer IMO.

Saban called off the dogs in the 3rd quarter up 24-6 and Gilbert was making plays with Shipley matched up on a safety... after they realized that the game was getting too close again, Saban cranked it back up in the 4th quarter and went ahead and put 'em to sleep..

BobDole
08-17-2010, 09:27 PM

1. Bama

2. Ohio St.

3. Boise St.

4. Florida

5. Virginia Tech

6. USC

7. Iowa

8. Nebraska

9. Oklahoma

10. Texas

4 isn't terrible. i'll never be sold on boise st until they have a real schedule - which isn't their fault - it is what it is. beating one really good team a year ain't doing it for me. i just can't bring myself to rank them ahead of us.

you think the recruiting class has that much to do with it? those guys won't hardly see the field this year - let alone start. if this recruiting class was so important to these rankings i'd think LSU and auburn would get more love. but i get it - we lost tebow, strong, and most of the defense. i just don't agree.

if USC didn't have barkley i wouldn't even put them in the top 25. i'd almost feel bad for them if i didn't hate kiffin so much.

i said oregon st would take the pac 10 - but oregon has so much talent on defense. losing masoli was the killer - but that team is still stacked on the defensive side of the ball. top 10 talent w/o a QB - sucks for them.

JCane
08-17-2010, 09:31 PM
I think Mack Brown is a great coach. I think he's a great coach in practice and I think he's a great coach on gameday. A lot of people don't understand that those are two different things. Randy Shannon is a great practice coach but a terrible gameday coach. Maybe you can make the same argument for Bob Stoops. I think Mack Brown is one of the best coaches in the nation. I think he and Urban Meyer are about the same.

But Urban has this fire in him that I don't see in Mack. Granted Mack is a little older, Urban just has this look in his eyes at all times. He's in your face. He deals well with kids from a motivation standpoint. He knows how to kickstart kids coming off the sideline and into the game. I see Mack talking to kids and using calm hand motions to convey his message. Urban is finger pointing, his face is turning red, he's raising his voice and kids are maintaining eye contact. I love that about Urban.

I know I'd have Nick Saban at the top of my list. I'd put Urban in there second. Mack Brown is definitely top five. And call me crazy, but I'm putting Lane Kiffin up high as well. He hasn't proven anything yet but I can see it. The dude is just hype. He knows how to relate to kids and motivate kids. Tennessee was a scrub *** team last season and they gave the two best teams in the SEC all they could handle. I don't think there's any doubt that Kiffin wins a title at USC. But that's just me. I like the guy a lot.

TedSlimmJr
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
4 isn't terrible. i'll never be sold on boise st until they have a real schedule - which isn't their fault - it is what it is. beating one really good team a year ain't doing it for me. i just can't bring myself to rank them ahead of us.

you think the recruiting class has that much to do with it? those guys won't hardly see the field this year - let alone start. if this recruiting class was so important to these rankings i'd think LSU and auburn would get more love. but i get it - we lost tebow, strong, and most of the defense. i just don't agree.

if USC didn't have barkley i wouldn't even put them in the top 25. i'd almost feel bad for them if i didn't hate kiffin so much.

i said oregon st would take the pac 10 - but oregon has so much talent on defense. losing masoli was the killer - but that team is still stacked on the defensive side of the ball. top 10 talent w/o a QB - sucks for them.

I'm totally with you on Boise... but I think they deserve to be ranked in the top 5 for sure... I hope VT goes ahead and buries them the first week so we can proceed...

I'm also a FIRM believer in Matt Barkley... legitimate top 20 NFL pick at quarterback in a year or so... but that's not all. USC is loaded... Ronald Johnson, Kris O'Dowd, Tyron Smith, Allen Bradford, Stanley Havili, Jurrell Casey, Michael Morgan, Chris Gallippo, Shareece Wright, C.J. Gable, Rhett Ellison, Nick Perry, and freshman sensation Dillon Baxter...

That's about 8-9 potential 1st round picks I just named... with the rest being early-mid round picks... I'm just glad that Kiffen has to suffer through the sanctions with that much talent...

BobDole
08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
yeah i gave boise the benefit of the doubt and put them at 5. this conversation will happen after every season - but it might not matter come this time next year ...

barkley is a stud. no doubt. there are so many good QB's in college football right now it isn't even funny. for their sake i hope they go to a halfway decent NFL team - unlike bradford who is stuck behind that hideous o-line and will have david carr syndrome by about week 8. claussen is the only one who stands a chance. and tebow in 2 or 3 years when he gets mechanics and footwork down.

i just hate USC a lot for whatever reason. crazy hyped every year and always lose to some nobody at the end of the season. i'm sorry, you can't be the best team if you're getting beat by stanford and UCLA in crunch time. getting kiffin was the last nail in the hate coffin for me - love that he's stuck with that situation he created. and he'll be fired the year the sanctions have run their course - 100% on that one.

chrisbaucom
08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
While Brantley is a first year starter, he is hardly a rookie to the league. He will be fine, the defense is the part of that team that should be a little worrisome. A lot of guys to replace. 10 is probably a good starting point. They should finish 11-1 or 10-2.

Georgia will be fine as well. As stated in the article, Richt has never posted back to back single digit winning seasons. He is as good at getting a team to "bounce back" as anybody in the country after a down year. They drew the less brutal side of the west, which works in their favor.

I personally think the Canes should be around 14-15. They have to prove they can play with the big boys. Ted is right, they have as much talent as anybody in the country, they just have to prove it. And they will get alot of national tv opportunities early in the year to do it. Start 4-1 or 5-0 and they will quickly be in the top 5-10.

And Bob....I agree with you. As soon as possible, Pat Hayden will have Kiffin out of there. He wants no part of more sanctions. And Kiffin is another NCAA sanction waiting to happen. Guy can coach, that UT team was garbage last year and somehow they won 7 games.

Bama should be #1, but they are getting shafted this year. It's something like 7 games vs. teams coming off a bye week. That's just unfair. But Saban is Saban and they will be playing for the Nat'l title again this year barring any major injuries or suspensions.

JCane
08-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Am I the only one who thinks Boise State will whack Virginia Tech?

TedSlimmJr
08-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't think it happens JC..... just the opposite as a matter of fact..

JCane
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Virginia Tech is a better team I think. Better athletes. But Boise State in ONE game with all off-season to prepare is a handful. If Boise State can prevent Beamerball punt blocks I think they have a very good chance.

TedSlimmJr
08-19-2010, 12:08 AM
It's not going to surprise me if Boise squeaks it out... they're good at that... But if you give ol' leatherface an entire offseason to prepare for you, it's not exactly going to be a cakewalk... Hell they played Bama tooth and nail until the 4th quarter in the first game last year...

And I've noticed that a couple of you are quite high on Lane Kiffen's coaching ability.... Ol' leatherface had a month to prepare for Tennessee in the bowl game and stomped them 37-14.... just sayin'...

I think VT can run the football well enough to keep the ball out of Kellen Moore and that offenses hands... they can wear them down with that physical, smashmouth, no-nonsense, beat-you-to-a-pulp style and win it in the 4th quarter if necessary... and VT's defense matches up well with Boise St.'s offense...

That's how I see it anyway.... it's definitely going to separate the pretender from the contender one way or the other...

chrisbaucom
08-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Ol' leatherface is a hell of a coach. I by no means am saying Kiffin is as good as him. Just stating that I think Lane Kiffin did a helluva job with a terrible team last year. They won 7 games, which is about 5 more than they should have.

Boise St. scares the crap out of me and should scare the crap out of VA Tech. They essentially play a 1 game season. They are going to be playing up the underdog, nobody respects us role. However, Ol' leatherface is as good as anybody at getting ready for a big game. Should be a helluva game. ACC needs UNC and VA Tech to win those games.

hooshoops
08-21-2010, 02:37 PM
is boise really worthy of being the #2 team in the country??? ugh...

Namor
08-21-2010, 02:50 PM

No different than the way Ohio State gets a high ranking.

X-Pacolypse
08-21-2010, 03:51 PM
I know there are a lot of people that hate Kiffin, but he's going to win at USC, like it or not. Jonathan Crompton was one of the worst quarterbacks not just in the SEC, but in the entire country and Lane managed to pull some respectable numbers out of him and turn him into a late round pick. The sanctions are going to hurt SC, but eventually they're going to be the SC of the last decade again because Lane can recruit with the best of them.

Also, I have an issue with Pitt being ranked over Cinncinatti. Other than Dion Lewis, Greg Romeus, and Jonathan Baldwin who else do they have? Let's not forget that Wanny is still the head coach and he completely choked away the Big East Championship last season. Cincy may not have Brian Kelly anymore, but they're still going to be a respectable team. Georgia Tech and that goofy offense is too high for my liking as well.

TedSlimmJr
08-21-2010, 04:35 PM
I know there are a lot of people that hate Kiffin, but he's going to win at USC, like it or not. Jonathan Crompton was one of the worst quarterbacks not just in the SEC, but in the entire country and Lane managed to pull some respectable numbers out of him and turn him into a late round pick. The sanctions are going to hurt SC, but eventually they're going to be the SC of the last decade again because Lane can recruit with the best of them.

Also, I have an issue with Pitt being ranked over Cinncinatti. Other than Dion Lewis, Greg Romeus, and Jonathan Baldwin who else do they have? Let's not forget that Wanny is still the head coach and he completely choked away the Big East Championship last season. Cincy may not have Brian Kelly anymore, but they're still going to be a respectable team. Georgia Tech and that goofy offense is too high for my liking as well.

I think you make a good point about Cincy...However, Pitt has a few other very good players.... Jason Pinkston is a 1st team All-Conference tackle and a 3rd team All-American... but throw all that out the window.... the kid can flat out play. Lucas Nix on the other side makes up what is IMO the two best bookend tackles in the conference... and they're the keys to Dion Lewis' ability to be productive...

The Hynoski kid at FB/TE/H-back, etc. is a terrific player....and Jabaal Sheard is a beast at the other DE spot opposite Romeus...

They also have a 6'3", 230 pound senior All-Conference at safety in Dom DeCicco and arguably the best kicker in the conference...

I think it'll come down to Pitt and Cincy again for the title, both teams play about the same SOS.... but Pitt isn't exactly a 3 man show... all these guys mentioned are legitimate NFL talent..

TedSlimmJr
08-21-2010, 04:40 PM

Not really... but the problem you run into is neither is anybody else... You can ask the same question about any team you put there...

The AP Poll came out today and has the top 4 as I had them (Bama, Ohio St., Boise, Florida).. the only place where the AP's top 10 is different from how I had mine is where they have TCU I would have USC...

X-Pacolypse
08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
I think you make a good point about Cincy...However, Pitt has a few other very good players.... Jason Pinkston is a 1st team All-Conference tackle and a 3rd team All-American... but throw all that out the window.... the kid can flat out play. Lucas Nix on the other side makes up what is IMO the two best bookend tackles in the conference... and they're the keys to Dion Lewis' ability to be productive...

The Hynoski kid at FB/TE/H-back, etc. is a terrific player....and Jabaal Sheard is a beast at the other DE spot opposite Romeus...

They also have a 6'3", 230 pound senior All-Conference at safety in Dom DeCicco and arguably the best kicker in the conference...

I think it'll come down to Pitt and Cincy again for the title, both teams play about the same SOS.... but Pitt isn't exactly a 3 man show... all these guys mentioned are legitimate NFL talent..

Fair points all around. Unfortunately, their biggest weakness is the guy that is in charge.

HurriPhin
08-21-2010, 07:33 PM
...............:rotfl1:
:puke:Florida #4..... :sidelol:
.................:lol2:

bigchub22
08-23-2010, 09:52 PM

1. alabama
2. florida
3. ohio st
4. texas
5. boise st
6. va tech
7. tcu
8. iowa
9. oklahoma
10. oregon

come on.

Iowa I believe deserves to be ranked ahead of you the other 2 NO, Oregon without Masoli def. not with him maybe. Wisc. should be pretty good as they should have the best or second best O-line next to or ahead of the Noles according to a lot of analysts but NO they aren't better than florida. I do think Iowa is legit ahead of you