PDA

View Full Version : God

studsatele
09-01-2010, 01:32 AM
If you believe in God, but not in the man made religions, that have been created, to distort and hijack God, like i do. Does that make me ignorant? I believe mankind has used God to gain power over the masses. Basically, you better be good and follow what the bible,quaron etc, says or your going to hell. But i dont believe in hell. I do believe in a superior being. I agree with Billy Jo Armstrong, religion is bullsh!t. But i do believe in God. What do you guys classify that as?

1Hawdolfin4L
09-01-2010, 06:11 PM
A start.

studsatele
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
A start.
Bad start? Good start?

1Hawdolfin4L
09-01-2010, 09:07 PM
But i do believe in God.

Why?

NYCBillsFan
09-01-2010, 10:33 PM
If you believe in God, but not in the man made religions, that have been created, to distort and hijack God, like i do. Does that make me ignorant? I believe mankind has used God to gain power over the masses. Basically, you better be good and follow what the bible,quaron etc, says or your going to hell. But i dont believe in hell. I do believe in a superior being. I agree with Billy Jo Armstrong, religion is bullsh!t. But i do believe in God. What do you guys classify that as?

Illogical reasoning........

X-Pacolypse
09-06-2010, 01:14 PM

:err:

Locke
09-08-2010, 05:08 PM

There's a name for it, but I can't recall it at the moment. I follow the same line of thinking. I don't think there is an anthropomorphized deity in the sky watching us. I do think there might be something we don't understand quite yet. I have my own theory about the basic archetype of what that is, but that isn't something I feel like discussing here. Don't need anyone labeling my belief system as religious like they do with atheism...

Dolphan7
09-09-2010, 01:03 AM
If you believe in God, but not in the man made religions, that have been created, to distort and hijack God, like i do. Does that make me ignorant? I believe mankind has used God to gain power over the masses. Basically, you better be good and follow what the bible,quaron etc, says or your going to hell. But i dont believe in hell. I do believe in a superior being. I agree with Billy Jo Armstrong, religion is bullsh!t. But i do believe in God. What do you guys classify that as?You are a Deist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

Dolphan7
09-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Everyone (in context to this discussion) has their own idea or belief of what God is, or what the universe is made of etc....

But what is the truth?

If we all potentially have 6 billion (and growing) different beliefs of a greater spiritual being, with varying degrees of omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience....then which one is right? Which one is the right one? Which one is the accurate view? Which one is the truth?

What is the belief based on? It has to be based on something tangible and measurable. I can believe anything I want, but that doesn't mean it is true. It has to pass muster.

Either all the belief systems in the world are wrong, or only one of them is right....but there can't be anything in between.

If someone believes in God, then they really need to find out which religions God is the right one, because if not...that person has a one in 6 billion shot at being right. Not very good odds.

Rafiki
09-09-2010, 01:47 AM
You are a Deist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism

Beat me to it. Some of our founding fathers were of that ilk.

NYCBillsFan
09-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Everyone (in context to this discussion) has their own idea or belief of what God is, or what the universe is made of etc....

But what is the truth?

If we all potentially have 6 billion (and growing) different beliefs of a greater spiritual being, with varying degrees of omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience....then which one is right? Which one is the right one? Which one is the accurate view? Which one is the truth?

What is the belief based on? It has to be based on something tangible and measurable. I can believe anything I want, but that doesn't mean it is true. It has to pass muster.

Either all the belief systems in the world are wrong, or only one of them is right....but there can't be anything in between.

If someone believes in God, then they really need to find out which religions God is the right one, because if not...that person has a one in 6 billion shot at being right. Not very good odds.

That would assume God only accepts those that are right. A truly loving God would accept all.

Dolphan7
09-18-2010, 11:20 PM
That would assume God only accepts those that are right. A truly loving God would accept all.Based on what?

X-Pacolypse
09-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Agnosticism

WVDolphan
09-23-2010, 01:52 AM

Confused.

newlownorder
11-04-2010, 11:45 PM
I was just reading something about this. Basically, it states that you can't make God into the God you want. You have to accept God based on what he demands. His demands and reasoning being from the Bible btw. So, according to this, you can't say that you believe in God but not organized religion because organized Christian religion is based on the Bible. I think the counter to this argument is that the Bible is not technically written by God, but by man, therefore flawed. Not saying this is what I believe but I thought it was an interesting read.

In reference to you not believing in Hell:

The Bible can be very confusing in regards to Hell. Many scholars believe that Hell was an idea later introduced that evolved into something very real. For example, does the idea of a Hell make it real? I've always gone under the assumption that there is a heaven and hell, like two different sides of a coin. Wherever the understanding of God is, or good, there is the understanding of Hell, or evil. By the set ideas of what good is, to do the opposite of what is good, is then evil.

emeraldfin
11-05-2010, 06:57 AM
In reference to you not believing in Hell:

The Bible can be very confusing in regards to Hell. Many scholars believe that Hell was an idea later introduced that evolved into something very real. For example, does the idea of a Hell make it real? I've always gone under the assumption that there is a heaven and hell, like two different sides of a coin. Wherever the understanding of God is, or good, there is the understanding of Hell, or evil. By the set ideas of what good is, to do the opposite of what is good, is then evil.

I'm not 100% clear on the position of the Christian faith regarding hell, but from what I know and read in the Bible, its not very far off Dualism.

1Hawdolfin4L
01-11-2011, 03:23 AM
http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SAF13v5_WS

(http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SAF13v5_WS)
Back from the Dead, Reborn Into the Light

They called a time of death on Jeff. Then, his doctor heard the Lord say, 'Pray for him.'

dreday
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
person 1 - god exists.

person 2 - wheres your proof?

person 1 - well if there was a bunch of proof laying around it wouldn't be much of a question now would it?

person 2 - so it's pretty much just a theory then?

person 1 - until they start handing out proof I guess so.

person 2 - okay, guess i'll wait until then before considering it.

Alter2Ego
08-07-2012, 12:27 PM
ALTER2EGO -to- STUDSATELE:
I classify your attitude as that of a believer who is justifiably wary of religion. And why shouldn't you be, considering false religions' long history of wrongdoing?

But notice I said "false religion." There is a true religion. Our duty is to familiarize ourselves with what Yahweh/Jehovah/YHWH says in his inspired Word, the Judeo-Christian Bible, and then compare that with what people are doing in the name of religion. If their religious practices are in opposition to what's written in the Judeo-Christian Bible, then that's your clue that it's a false religion.

Alter2Ego
08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
That would assume God only accepts those that are right. A truly loving God would accept all.
ALTER2EGO -to- NYC BILLS FAN:
What you're actually describing is: "a truly loving God," according to your personal opinion of what "truly loving" should mean. Of course you're entitled to your opinion, flawed as it is.

God's inspired Word, the Judeo-Christian Bible, gives example after example of God destroying or punishing people for disobeying his instructions. A God of orderliness does not lower his standards to accommodate everyone because that amounts to chaos—which is what we see in the world around us because of everybody doing their own thing.

"For God is a God, NOT of DISORDER, but of peace." (1 Corinthians 14:33)

Gonzo
08-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Holy old thread godman.

phins_4_ever
08-07-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SAF13v5_WS

(http://www.cbn.com/media/player/index.aspx?s=/vod/SAF13v5_WS)
Back from the Dead, Reborn Into the Light

They called a time of death on Jeff. Then, his doctor heard the Lord say, 'Pray for him.'

:lol:

DisturbedShifty
08-07-2012, 03:01 PM
I personally believe that there is a God and distrust all religions because of what gets carried out in their names. I also believe that each of the major religions of the world all have a piece of the truth. But are to busy fighting over which idea is right to figure it out.

Forgive my spelling. This was sent from my phone.