PDA

View Full Version : please pray about earl

D0lphan72
09-01-2010, 01:02 PM
please me fellow dolfans, pray with me that earl may miss virginia, and many other states, this is a powerfull storm that has to be taken seriously. if it hits us there will be hundreds, maybe thousands of deaths, so please pray that it misses us!

datruth55
09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I would hope that if Earl heads for Viginia the people would heed the warnings and evacuate. No sense in sticking around and "riding it out", that's how people end up dead.

D0lphan72
09-01-2010, 01:16 PM
if it comes im sure as hell leaving, ill miss my dolphins though :(

hooshoops
09-01-2010, 01:17 PM
i'm in richmond va and they're gonna have to send in the national guard to get me to leave my directv behind...

but no one that i talk too in this area has even mentioned this storm...sounds a bit premature...or i'm just very naive...lol

MarshallFin1
09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
oh give me a break, i have survived 5-6 hurricanes in my 15 years of living in south florida, as long as u bunker up ur pretty much safe, i even went outside during one hurricane and ran in the wind.

D0lphan72
09-01-2010, 01:19 PM
hooshoops, bob mcdonnall issued a warning

hooshoops
09-01-2010, 01:26 PM
hooshoops, bob mcdonnall issued a warning

is that something i'd see on the news??? cause i don't watch that

D0lphan72
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
**** i dunno, some kid posted it on facebook lol

Adam First
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
oh give me a break, i have survived 5-6 hurricanes in my 15 years of living in south florida, as long as u bunker up ur pretty much safe, i even went outside during one hurricane and ran in the wind.

You gotta remember something here:
Dade County building codes, which turned into South Florida building codes, are some of the best in the country. Houses are built to withstand hurricanes down here. Houses up north are not. Some houses while still standing strong are 200+ years old, and are plenty suspect to high winds. Plus not many houses can get through a tree falling on them, and there are a TON of trees up north.

MarshallFin, where are you located in VA? Hampton Roads area?

WesternNYDolfan
09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
Yea I was in Orlando in 04 for Hurricane Charlie, going to school, I was staying at a dorm near UCF, we had a keg party, people were eating mushrooms, running in the wind on either end of a held out flag, trying to fly. I thought the whole hurricane experience was fun...although I wasn't a property owner, and the days without power afterword kinda sucked

Patrick_Bateman
09-01-2010, 01:46 PM
Where in VA is this supposed to hit? I live in Northern VA (like 2 minutes from Washington DC), and the last time we had a hurricane was Isabelle in 03' which we were warned and warned and warned about over and over for at least a week or two beforehand. While my house lost power for about two weeks, nothing else really happened that was devastating around here, so I'm just wondering why this is the first I've heard of it? Just trying to figure out what the deal is that's all.

Adam First
09-01-2010, 01:52 PM
Where in VA is this supposed to hit? I live in Northern VA (like 2 minutes from Washington DC), and the last time we had a hurricane was Isabelle in 03' which we were warned and warned and warned about over and over for at least a week or two beforehand. While my house lost power for about two weeks, nothing else really happened that was devastating around here, so I'm just wondering why this is the first I've heard of it? Just trying to figure out what the deal is that's all.

The current track by the National Hurricane Center does not bring the center of the storm on shore, but it gets very very close. The wind field of Earl is very large and it's maintaining extremely high winds. A dropsonde by a Hurricane Hunter aircraft measured 139-knot flight level winds...equivalent to about 160 miles per hour. But that's FLIGHT LEVEL...ground level would translate to about 115 knots, or 135 MPH.

It's going to be nasty for sure up and down the Atlantic seaboard, but it will be particularly nasty for the Outer Banks of North Carolina, the Virginia Beach area and, later on down the line, Cape Cod and Atlantic Canada. Western Long Island and any other land mass sticking out into the Atlantic won't have a great day either.

miamiron
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
**** i dunno, some kid posted it on facebook lol

For all NON floridians ...Direct hit to south Florida by Hurricane Andrew
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/1e1460bf2-1.jpg
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/1992_Andrews_1-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/1992andrew6-1.gif

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/116677main1_plank_palm_t-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/hurricaneandrew_30downsized1-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/BL_andrew073109_78387c-1.jpg

When in doubt ....PLEASE...GET OUT
GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Adam First
09-01-2010, 02:00 PM
From the 2:00 PM intermediate advisory:

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS REMAIN NEAR 125 MPH...205 KM/HR...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. EARL IS A CATEGORY THREE HURRICANE ON THE
SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE. HOWEVER...PRELIMINARY DATA FROM
AN AIR FORCE PLANE INDICATE THAT THE HURRICANE IS BEGINNING TO
STRENGTHEN AND EARL COULD AGAIN BECOME A CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE
LATER TODAY.

EARL IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 90 MILES...150 KM...FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE
WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 200 MILES...325 KM.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT2+shtml/011744.shtml

SamTodd
09-01-2010, 02:14 PM

You haven't been in a major hurricane. If you knew about hurricane Andrew your tone about being super safe and running outside during a cane would be entirely different.

SamTodd
09-01-2010, 02:17 PM
For all NON floridians ...Direct hit to south Florida by Hurricane Andrew

When in doubt ....PLEASE...GET OUT
GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

Yep. My dad was in charge of a lot of the cleanup in kendall and homestead (hardest hit areas), i remember being like 4 years old riding in truck w/ my dad and everything was oblitterated. Crazy.

MarshallFin1
09-01-2010, 02:45 PM
You gotta remember something here:
Dade County building codes, which turned into South Florida building codes, are some of the best in the country. Houses are built to withstand hurricanes down here. Houses up north are not. Some houses while still standing strong are 200+ years old, and are plenty suspect to high winds. Plus not many houses can get through a tree falling on them, and there are a TON of trees up north.

MarshallFin, where are you located in VA? Hampton Roads area?

west palm beach florida.

TXFinFan
09-01-2010, 02:50 PM
I hope the storm misses you guys, but I have to wonder why you would have to ask a good, loving god to please not kill thousands of people.

sharp
09-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Anything 3 or lower can be a fine time. Maybe lose some power for a couple days. Gotta watch out for those mini tornadoes though, thats what made andrew even worse. I was hit with the eye of Jeanne and Frances 3 weeks to the hour of each other and it did some damage. God bless but dont freak out, its not going to be that powerful.

MarshallFin1
09-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Anything 3 or lower can be a fine time. Maybe lose some power for a couple days. Gotta watch out for those mini tornadoes though, thats what made andrew even worse. I was hit with the eye of Jeanne and Frances 3 weeks to the hour of each other and it did some damage. God bless but dont freak out, its not going to be that powerful.

last hurricane in south florida we didnt have power for a month. It sucked lol....

SRM
09-01-2010, 03:03 PM
You'll be fine.. like sharp said, your only concern really is tornadoes from the outer part of the storm. As far as winds go I would imagine you'll be getting maybe 100 mph winds.. not too bad at all.

Chubby
09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Andrew totally screwed me up mentally as a kid, now as an adult I get very panicky and anxious during Hurricane watches etc..

datruth55
09-01-2010, 03:35 PM
And all those houses were devestated in an area where the building codes are much more stringent then anywhere else in the country. North of Florida the houses are made of 2x4 wood instead of the cinder blocks.

CANDolphan
09-01-2010, 03:42 PM
You haven't been in a major hurricane. If you knew about hurricane Andrew your tone about being super safe and running outside during a cane would be entirely different.

You were 4 years old, you don't remember Hurricane Andrew, pops

Phinatic8u
09-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Hugo was the worst stoem I've ever seen, Its still the worst besides Katrina of course, Andrew a very close 3rd..

datruth55
09-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Yep. My dad was in charge of a lot of the cleanup in kendall and homestead (hardest hit areas), i remember being like 4 years old riding in truck w/ my dad and everything was oblitterated. Crazy.

My mom was in real estate down there and she took me to Homestead and we walked through a few houses. It was pretty trashed. Standing water in houses, holes in roofs, drywall coming down...pretty messed up. She hid in the closet when Andrew came through and swore she would never stay in Miami again if another hurricane came through. One of my aunts had her fenced ripped out, part of her roof came off and a few windows broken, another aunt had a few windows broken and her car was totaled, it was flipped when she found it down the street (she lives off of Brickell).

randomname
09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Andrew left me without internet for like 3 months! ****ing comcast! Spent so much time cleaning up crap out in the hot, humid weather, only to have nothing to do but read books, it was miserable. Oh wait, I ran out of books within the first 3 days. Not to say I don't enjoy reading books, I do. They just run out so fast...

I'm prepared for the next one though. Got about 200 hours worth of shows to watch on my computer. Always be prepared!

JCane
09-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Earl had to die.

And for those talking about Andrew...Andrew was a totally different story as far as hurricanes go. Let's hope South Florida never sees another hurricane as devastating as that one. Andrew was just a freakish beast of a natural disaster. Incredible storm that just demolished South Florida. South Florida is built and designed to withstand the beating of hurricanes but even we couldn't prepare for Andrew. I still believe that Andrew drove the first of MANY final nails in the life of the Orange Bowl. Andrew put a hurting on the ol' girl.

vafins
09-01-2010, 06:06 PM
haha forreal what a way to make a introduction

Dolfan3773
09-01-2010, 08:04 PM
I wish the best for everyone...I went through Andrew, in Homestead and damn...that was no joke.

PhinsPhan11
09-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I wish the best for everyone.

tcolli17
09-01-2010, 10:00 PM
You must live close to me then, psl. Went outside during Jeanne for the first half of it, slept thru the rest of it. Couldn't stay awake through the eye. Went driving around during Wilma. Was good times.

DphinBillkiller
09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Prayers that people will be spared sent out.

WVDolphan
09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
please me fellow dolfans, pray with me that earl may miss virginia, and many other states, this is a powerfull storm that has to be taken seriously. if it hits us there will be hundreds, maybe thousands of deaths, so please pray that it misses us!

Pray that it dosent hit one area so that it hits somewhere else?

And why pray? Didnt people pray that there wouldnt be anymore storms like that after each of the countless others that hit places? It didnt seem to work then, why would it work now?

Why are there storms like that in the first place? If whoever it is youre praying to has the power to make the storm not hit a certain area, wouldnt it stand to reason that whoever it is youre praying to would have the power to make it so the storm dosent exist to begin with?

Just trying to be logical. Nevertheless, I certainly hope the storm dosent do any serious damage or take anyones life. Im just not going to pray about it. If I had the power to do something that might actually help out the situation, I would.

SamTodd
09-03-2010, 11:53 AM
You were 4 years old, you don't remember Hurricane Andrew, pops
You don't remember anything from being 4 years old?

my earliest memories are from being 4 years old.. The guys in the neighborhoods came around on trucks helping boarding everyones house up (south plantation), getting in the station wagon and going to my aunts house (and i remember seeing radar on tv of the cane), & driving around kendall and seeing destruction . even remeber my dad walkin' out on our family @ 4. and that is all i remember from age 4-5.

but yeah tell me what i remember.

PhinzN703
09-03-2010, 02:28 PM

1. Praying won't help b/c it isn't like God decides where hurricanes go
2. Why would thousands of people die from a hurricane? Especially in Virginia of all places?

PhinzN703
09-03-2010, 02:29 PM

High five neighbor :d-day:

PhinzN703
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Pray that it dosent hit one area so that it hits somewhere else?

And why pray? Didnt people pray that there wouldnt be anymore storms like that after each of the countless others that hit places? It didnt seem to work then, why would it work now?

Why are there storms like that in the first place? If whoever it is youre praying to has the power to make the storm not hit a certain area, wouldnt it stand to reason that whoever it is youre praying to would have the power to make it so the storm dosent exist to begin with?

Just trying to be logical. Nevertheless, I certainly hope the storm dosent do any serious damage or take anyones life. Im just not going to pray about it. If I had the power to do something that might actually help out the situation, I would.

Didn't Louis Farrakhan claim the U.S. Government created a hurricane to kill black people? I could've sworn that was something I heard about a few years ago

CedarPhin
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Might make for some good surfing waves. Did that back in 2003 when they had a Tropical Storm roll into Cancun.

CedarPhin
09-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a bit of an insanity streak, as you can tell.

PhinzN703
09-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Guess the prayers worked b/c that 'hurricane" didn't do **** to this area