PDA

View Full Version : Go Blue Michigan Wolverines Thread....

SA_BUTTA
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
I really feel good about this revamped team. Denard Robinson seems to have all things clicking on offense and the only thing I see lacking is our defensive secondary. Im looking forward to the next few games which SHOULD be easy wins until our matchup against the Spartys. Its funny to see the top three guys on the Heisman watch right now all have ties to Michigan.
1. Denard Robinson - current player
2. Terrell Pryor - picked OSU over Michigan when committing
3. Ryan Mallet - transferred out of Michigan

I am as excited about this team as I have been in a long time, after a few grueling seasons it seem we may have something here. I also like the fact that we have Devin Gardner sitting back there to devolop right after the "shoelace" era.

I still feel like Rich Rod is in the hotseat and he must beat OSU and/or win a bowl game
to keep his job this season.

LETS GO BLUE!!!!

LETS GO BLUE!!!

MadDog 88
09-15-2010, 03:48 PM
We need to see how the defense performs against the power running teams in the Big 10. They should start 6-0 which qualifies them for the bowl but then the tough part of the schedule begins against, you guessed it, power running offenses.

I don't see a victory over Ohio State this year. They need another year to develop the defense and the game is in Columbus. I do think they win 8 games and RichRod should be given another year if they do. It's easy to see that his offense is completely installed with a QB that can run it and just how lethal it is.

TedSlimmJr
09-15-2010, 04:28 PM
"Shoelace" may have single handedly saved Rich Rod's job...

"Shoelace" currently has more yards from scrimmage than 87 division-1 schools.... amazing statistic..

ChambersWI
09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Shoelace has been amazing, but it's not just him. Our OL looks very strong. The tackle positions aren't great, but we got 2 very good prospects in Taylor Lewan (aka Jake Long 2.0) and Michael Schoefield waiting in the wings, and Martvavious Odoms and Roy Roundtree have been good receving options (Darryl Stonum has also been solid). Still need a big play threat at RB.

Defense still needs work. Mike Martin is the best NT in the Big 10, Craig Roh is, and will continue to develop, into a beast. Jonas Mouton is having a good senior year. Ryan Van Bergan is solid. Obi Ezeh well... kind of sucks. CBs have looked ok, but still scare me, and Cam Gordon has given up some big plays at safety (willing to let that slide though cause he's a RS Frosh who was a WR last year that thought he'd be a LB not a FS so he's learning on the fly).

Oh and we need a kicker.

ChambersWI
09-17-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAGM5c5wsWY&feature=player_embedded

SA_BUTTA
09-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh and we need a kicker.
Definitely, especially when we start facing some tougher defenses and it will be harder to get into the endzone...We cannot afford to be missing kicks at all.

I think our run defense will be ok, but the way Crist picked us apart scares me when we face someone better than ND.

ChambersWI
09-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Definitely, especially when we start facing some tougher defenses and it will be harder to get into the endzone...We cannot afford to be missing kicks at all.

I think our run defense will be ok, but the way Crist picked us apart scares me when we face someone better than ND.

eh... our pass D was pretty good for the most part. All 3 Big plays came from a RS Freshmen FS who recruited as a WR and expected to play LB this year. Cam Gordon is still learning. Brian Kelly's offense allows QBs to find an open man.

Namor
09-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Hey Mich...always remember..the best move is alot of times the one you don't make.
You better give RichRod more of a chance...
I'm glad he is not at Bama and we got Saban,but look at what you guys almost went
after...Les "Buggs Bunny" Miles.

Bumpus
09-18-2010, 03:44 PM
My hatred for Michigan shall continue until Coach Rod gets ****canned.
(dammit, they're even making me root for the Buckeyes once a year)

MadDog 88
09-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Shoelace has been amazing, but it's not just him. Our OL looks very strong. The tackle positions aren't great, but we got 2 very good prospects in Taylor Lewan (aka Jake Long 2.0) and Michael Schoefield waiting in the wings, and Martvavious Odoms and Roy Roundtree have been good receving options (Darryl Stonum has also been solid). Still need a big play threat at RB.

Defense still needs work. Mike Martin is the best NT in the Big 10, Craig Roh is, and will continue to develop, into a beast. Jonas Mouton is having a good senior year. Ryan Van Bergan is solid. Obi Ezeh well... kind of sucks. CBs have looked ok, but still scare me, and Cam Gordon has given up some big plays at safety (willing to let that slide though cause he's a RS Frosh who was a WR last year that thought he'd be a LB not a FS so he's learning on the fly).

Oh and we need a kicker.The OL will be hurting next season because David Molk moves on to the NFL. Hopefully Miami drafts him because he is a difference maker. After getting injured last year, the OL fell apart.

I can't believe they can't find a student from the Soccer Club that would be willing to play football. 1-5 on FGs is pathetic.

MadDog 88
09-19-2010, 11:40 AM
My hatred for Michigan shall continue until Coach Rod gets ****canned.
(dammit, they're even making me root for the Buckeyes once a year)

I can only imagine how deep your seething for Rod runs but from what I have read, your anger should be directed at the Governor and University President. My understanding is that some promises were made to Rod and didn't get followed through because they never thought he would resign.

Quite honestly, I'm not real happy with Rod. I thought it was a mistake for Bill Martin to not bring in Jim Harbaugh. Hell, he didn't even consider him that douchebag. If Rod goes, I am sure the Alumni will be expressing their interest in Harbaugh to the new AD,Dave Brandon, who is also a Michigan grad and played for Bo.

MadDog 88
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Although they suffered a let down against UMass, the defense is going to struggle with the run. They are to small to contend with the mammoth sized OL that some of the Big 10 teams have.

On a bright note, over the last 10-15 years Michigan teams would have lost that game.

ChambersWI
09-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Mich...always remember..the best move is alot of times the one you don't make.
You better give RichRod more of a chance...
I'm glad he is not at Bama and we got Saban,but look at what you guys almost went
after...Les "Buggs Bunny" Miles.

Rod has the support of the new AD, and the whole school. I've become frustrated because of all the defensive transfers the last year and a half, and losing in general, BUT I'll give him credit where credit is due he has improved the program in certain ways. But he has to let G-Rob run his defense not this crap 3-3-5 from West Virginia. And he also has to stop offering all the scholarships and take the first 30 guys to accept. With all due respect to Bumpus and West Virginia, Rod does not have to recruit like he did down there. The thing I've noticed in Rod's 2 full recruiting classes is that he'll offer lesser guys early and then he will get lucky and pull better prospects in late for different reasons (Denard Robinson and DeMar Dorsey come to mind). Now I like our classes, and I think our class this year has started off pretty well, and I think that's cause Rod finally gets it.

I also think Rod is finally getting that playing strictly like he did at West Virginia, or even as the OC for Tulane with Forcier/Threet at QB, is not gonna cut it in the Big 10. Again, with all due respect to the Big East, the Big 10 is a different monster. Even though our offense finally has Rod's type of guy and it looks very similar to WVU, it's a bit different as well (more balanced passing and less crappy bubble screens). I think Brian Kelly is going to go through a similar thing at Notre Dame. Great offensive mind, but doesn't have much experience against better talent. He's gonna have to adjust.

That being said, if Rod has another losing season he's out. While looking back now I'm glad we don't have Les Miles as our HC, one of the most popular Wolverines of all time is proving himself to be a very very good HC at Stanford and both parties would jump at the idea of bringing Jim Harbaugh back to Ann Arbor.

As for our team now Ted... I think the OL, Shoelace, and Odoms/Stonum/Roundtree/Koger are good enough to keep us in Big 10 games now, but we need a running game (1 good game for Shaw isn't going to convince me), and anybody not named Craig Roh or Mike Martin (ESPECIALLY Mike Martin) need to be more consistent. I don't think JT Floyd has been too bad at CB, and Mouton has had 2 good games out of 3. Jordan Kovacs isn't that athletic but he goes all out, and as long as he isn't the deep safety he's ok. Obi Ezeh needs to be off the field. Cam Gordon needs to keep improving, and James Rogers needs to get consistent.

The Big 10 schedule will be tough, but as long as we limit all the big pass plays we've given up the last 2 years I'm ok.

ChambersWI
09-29-2010, 05:38 PM
For all you draft nicks, Taylor Lewan has now won the starting LT for Michigan. Lewan has been nicknamed Jake 2.0 because of his uncanny resemblance of Jake Long in look, stature, and style of play.

Also, Patrick Omameh is a STUD at guard.

SA_BUTTA
10-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, in typical Michigan fashion we lost to MSU after a 4-0 start. Ted you were right about the Big Ten and it does not get any easier this week against Iowa. I actually thought we could beat MSU and probably lose to Iowa, but boy was I wrong...Now I am really worried about even getting to decent Bowl game.

Redemption starts saturday

ChambersWI
10-15-2010, 12:49 PM
The MSU game was on Shoelace. Yeah the D struggled, but it's mostly the LBs and Cam Gordon. Even with the D's struggles, Shoelace hits on 2 throws that were bad INTs, and it's tied at 31 entering the 4th quarter.

SA_BUTTA
10-15-2010, 01:32 PM
True, and allowing 536 total yards of offense didnt help either...

ChambersWI
10-15-2010, 04:42 PM
like I said, the D is bad, but I see improvement in some areas. Mike Martin, Ryan Van Bergan, and Craig Roh could start 9 out of 11 Big 10 teams. Jordan Kovacs has become a good player, and the CBs are improving. They still suck at tackling, but they're becoming damn good in coverage, and not giving up YAC.

Problem continues to be LBs and deep safety. Cam Gordon is taking horrible angles and is doing poor tacking, but he's young. He's improving in coverage, but a lot of big plays have come because he just dives shoulder first or takes bad tackling angles. Jones Mouton has been good at times horrible at others, and Obi Ezeh is just BAD. And for a team that plays a lot of 3 man fronts, poor LB play isn't a good thing

ChambersWI
10-18-2010, 01:08 PM
word on the street is that AD David Brandon is putting together a potential list of HC candidates. He doesn't want to fire Rich Rod, but he knows what Michigan should be. It is said that Brandon would prefer to tell Rich Rod to let Greg Robinson chose his own defensive staff or get a new DC and let him pick his staff.

I'm not totally on the fire Rich Rod band wagon yet, but he's gotta let Robinson run his own defense. The 3-3-5 does not work in the Big 10. If we do go after a new HC my top 5 would be.

1.Jimmy Harbaugh- No explanation needed/
2.Greg Schiano- turned Rutgers into a good program has national experience from his days in Miami.
3.Brady Hoke- Former Michigan assistant, has midwest ties
4.Kevin Sumlin- Has Midwest ties, and also runs a spread offense so not much of a transition
5.Randy Edsall- A guy a lot of Wolverine fans like because he coaches to his players strengths.

If we replace Rich I also want somebody whose a decent recruiter.

ChambersWI
11-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm still kind of on the fence about firing Rod or not. His offense has looked great even in Big Ten Play (problem has been Robinson has been inconsistent as a passer), but the defense has been awful. Even with giving up all those points against the Illini, that was when we went 3-3-5. When we played a 4-3 or 3-4 in the 3rd quarter, we didn't give up any points.

The talent on defense is there (especially since we finally put Kenny Demens in at MLB), but we can't play that stupid 3-3-5 in the Big 10. IMO we either need to let GRob hire his own staff and run his D, or get a new DC and let him run his D. RichRod wants to run his West Virginia D, and it just can't work in the Big 10, and Rod's refusal to change could cost him his job.... that and going 0fer against MSU and OSU

ChambersWI
01-08-2011, 10:44 PM
For the news only a couple of us care about

Once again, the rumor is Les Miles is getting the job. Unlike the first time around (which was premature and Miles wasn't contacted about the job) Michigan has contacted people close to Miles. The feeling is Miles will take the job if offered (he wanted it bad last time).

Biggest thing is getting somebody who can bring the recruiting class together. Several prospects like Michigan but aren't gonna commit until they see the new coach.

4* Athlete Kris Frost committed to Auburn today, but was planning on Michigan until the reality of having no coach yet sinked in. He will probably commit to another school shortly cause Auburn contacted Frost after his commitment and said they had no room.

CedarPhin
01-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Jimbo Fisher to LSU then?

ChambersWI
01-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Jimbo Fisher to LSU then?

he just signed a huge extension with FSU. Bo Pelini on the other hand has been throwing out feelers to different jobs (Miami and Michigan for sure) so I could see him goin back to LSU IF Miles comes home.

chrisbaucom
01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Interesting. Could still see jimbo get that job if buyout is right.

chrisbaucom
01-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Looks like Brady Hoke is the guy at Michigan. If true, that's a great hire.

ChambersWI
01-11-2011, 05:39 PM
It's true. A lot of fans aren't happy (mainly because Hoke could have been had a long time ago) and many feel like we lost a whole recruiting class. HOWEVER, a bunch of the alumni have come out and supported the hire. Hoke is loved by everybody he has coached and been around, and was a great recruiter when he was an assistant (he recruited Larry Foote, Glen Steele, Charles Woodson, and Tom Brady).

Harbaugh would've been nice, and I would have supported Miles (but he burnt WAY too many bridges to come here), but Hoke was a good choice. Not sexy, but hires like Jim Tressell, Pete Carroll, and Butch Davis were not seen as great hires either

CedarPhin
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Hoke's a great hire. Better than Miles would have been, IMO.

ChambersWI
01-11-2011, 06:32 PM
Hoke's a great hire. Better than Miles would have been, IMO.

MIles wasn't offered according to insiders. Brandon was told to atleast interview the guy. But the big thing is that I'm finding out is that Hoke is loved by everybody in the Michigan family

X-Pacolypse
01-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Hoke is a damn good hire. In a couple of years, Michigan is going to start making noise again on the national scene with this guy. The real tragedy in this is what the Aztecs COULD HAVE been if Hoke stayed at SDSU. Regardless, it will be interesting too see where SDSU goes for it's next head coach. The SDUT mentioned Rocky Long taking over on an interim basis, but we'll see how things shake out.

ChambersWI
01-11-2011, 08:34 PM
well the Michigan alumni are VERY supportive of this, and a lot of current players have voiced their pleasure big difference from when Rod came. Rod had a very messy divorce with WVU and it sank in with a lot of players on that Michigan team. NOBODY has anything bad to say about Hoke ever.

ChambersWI
01-11-2011, 10:32 PM
not for sure, but here is the RUMORED Brady Hoke Coaching Staff (again RUMORED)

OC- Al Borges
DC or Secondary- Jon Hoke
QB- Scot Loeffler
RB-DeAndre Smith
WR- Erik Campbell
TE/ST-Dan Ferrigno
DL-Keith Gilmore
S&C-Aaron Wellman

Once again, this is all based on rumblings, but it sounds VERY VERY likely that Forrigno, Gilmore, and Smith are coming

I personally have no problems, but a lot of Michigan fans are bitching.

ChambersWI
01-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Greg Mattison has left the Ravens to return to Michigan. Only reason he did it (besides love for the University) is because of Brady Hoke.

Mattison was one of the best recruiters in the nation wherever he coached when in college, and is well respected. And no more 3-3-5.

Mattison also is known as a fundamentalist. Which is what we need

MadDog 88
09-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Well it wasnt pretty but they showed flashes of pre Rich Rod Michigan, beating Western Michigan in a lightening shortened game. Mattisons defensive scheme and aggresiveness was a great relief to see but I am especially pleased with the physicality they showed on both sides of the ball.

They have a long way to go but this is the first step moving in the right direction. Somewhere Bo and Mandich are celebrating.

MadDog 88
09-17-2011, 03:27 PM
A nice win over Eastern Michigan but they have a tough game next week hosting San Diego State. Lindley will be the best QB they see this year.

3 quick observations that they have improved immensely from Rich Rod. Penalties, in game adjustments and takeaways not giveaways.

MadDog 88
10-02-2011, 08:20 AM
The defense is improving at an accelerated pace. Real test at Northwestern against a good QB , if he in fact plays. Also nice to see a lot more to the offense then just Denard.

ChambersWI
10-10-2011, 05:59 PM
The entire staff is doing a great job. Hoke, Mattison, and Borges are getting the credit they deserve as are the offensive assistants, but Mark Smith (LB coach) Curt Mallory (secondary coach and former Wolverine player) and Jerry Montgomery (DL coach) have done an AMAZING job transforming this defense