PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of Troy (very, very interesting read)

TedSlimmJr
09-15-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.latimesmagazine.com/2010/09/the-fall-of-troy.html

It seems as if the NCAA was willing to bend over backwards in order to let USC off with a slap on the wrist for some reason.... but USC mismanaged this debacle from the moment the cat was out of the bag....

This right here folks, is the reason the NCAA has gone Rambo on programs right now... they hated to have to punish USC... but they were left with no choice...

ChambersWI
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM
to go along with this article, I remember when the sanctions came down. NFLN went more in depth with their coverage. They admitted that USC was punished so harshly because when they were speaking to current and former USC players (players since Bush left USC), the investigators were very angry about how the Trojan players carried themselves. How they acted better than everybody else, and acted self entitled.

People want to blame Reggie Bush, but in reality, this is punishment for Mike Garrett turning a blind eye towards everything and the players buying into the Hollywood lifestyle.

TedSlimmJr
09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Exactly... the arrogance on the part of USC is what got them punished so harshly. Everyone from Mike Garrett, to Pete Carroll, to Guillory...etc..

The fact that USC continued their association with a guy who had already got them in trouble to begin with (Guillory) shows the extent of their arrogance... as if Pete Carroll's refusal to fall on the sword for the good of the program, or Garrett's comments in front of the boosters wasn't enough...

Reggie Bush doesn't care about that Heisman Trophy... he's untouchable in all this. He's a millionaire... a superbowl champion... and he'll make more money off all of that than he ever will that trophy...

The Heisman trust can take the trophy from him physically, and erase his name, etc.. but they can't take away the fact that in their opinion he won it on the field in the first place...

Namor
09-15-2010, 12:56 PM
And the clock is ticking on Lame Kiffen...anyone thinking he is there more than 2 years is fooling themselves...
Haden will want his guy and a new start once the sanctions are over...

ChambersWI
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
And the clock is ticking on Lame Kiffen...anyone thinking he is there more than 2 years is fooling themselves...
Haden will want his guy and a new start once the sanctions are over...

especially since all indications are Haden is nothing like the past regime. He wants a more respectably run program. I forget where I read it, but I remember him saying something along the lines that he wants USC players to realize there is no difference between them and the players at South Texas A&M. And to remember that they are still kids, and football can be taken away from them in a second

X-Pacolypse
09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Mike Garrett deserves most of the blame for this mess. His arrogance ruined an otherwise good program.

MadDog 88
09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
While being on probation, IMO, it's a short list of you don't want to run your program and Kiifin is on that list. His ethics and integrity have been questioned there, in Oakland and Tennessee. He also fits that "self entitled" persona that so many USC players and staff seem to think they have. I can't imagine Hayden keeping him around for long.

Awsi Dooger
09-16-2010, 05:52 PM
I buy the first part. The second is laughable. USC was undeniably arrogant at the top. The NCAA undeniably overcharged, many say by 3 fold or higher, based on how similar incidents have been dealt with. If USC had addressed the issue quickly, I'm convinced the NCAA still would have over charged, based on how they took Lake at face value despite all the shaky and self-contradictory statements he provided, and his less than stellar reputation to begin with. The NCAA had no second source on the majority of his claims. Someone who knows Lake very well said he'd never take anything out of his mouth as gospel.

Besides, every indication I've read indicates USC legitimately did not know, certainly not early, and the first media reports were from less than heavy duty sources. When USC find out, in the Mayo situation, it took self-imposed measures.

The LA Times is commenting on this now in its weekly magazine but that paper, for all its reputation, was incredibly tardy to pinpoint USC and suggest any wrong doing. That's why I doubt the NCAA would have altered its position. The Michigan example is not parallel. Those infractions were very near to the point Michigan addressed them. With USC there would have been a considerable lag even if the university had come forward at the point Baxter Holmes prefers in that piece. The NCAA had plenty of wiggle room and would have seized it, harshly.

This is where you have to use instincts, always peek between the lines. It's in the NCAA's best interests to hint they would have come down less severely, if not all but ignored the situation, upon early submission. The NCAA is a haughty organization with conservative ferocity who plows forward looking for new methods to inject itself, and particularly in football. Witness the continuing ban on celebration of any type despite overflowing examples that similar is tolerated if not championed in so-called lesser sports. In short, it's a group who wants you to beg them for mercy, the higher profile the better. That's their essence. I'm sure they gather in private glee once articles with this theme are printed and quoted.

Yes, bow to us you heathens, submit early and we may consider sparing your head.

Namor
09-16-2010, 09:58 PM
I buy the first part. The second is laughable. USC was undeniably arrogant at the top. The NCAA undeniably overcharged, many say by 3 fold or higher, based on how similar incidents have been dealt with. If USC had addressed the issue quickly, I'm convinced the NCAA still would have over charged, based on how they took Lake at face value despite all the shaky and self-contradictory statements he provided, and his less than stellar reputation to begin with. The NCAA had no second source on the majority of his claims. Someone who knows Lake very well said he'd never take anything out of his mouth as gospel.

Besides, every indication I've read indicates USC legitimately did not know, certainly not early, and the first media reports were from less than heavy duty sources. When USC find out, in the Mayo situation, it took self-imposed measures.

The LA Times is commenting on this now in its weekly magazine but that paper, for all its reputation, was incredibly tardy to pinpoint USC and suggest any wrong doing. That's why I doubt the NCAA would have altered its position. The Michigan example is not parallel. Those infractions were very near to the point Michigan addressed them. With USC there would have been a considerable lag even if the university had come forward at the point Baxter Holmes prefers in that piece. The NCAA had plenty of wiggle room and would have seized it, harshly.

This is where you have to use instincts, always peek between the lines. It's in the NCAA's best interests to hint they would have come down less severely, if not all but ignored the situation, upon early submission. The NCAA is a haughty organization with conservative ferocity who plows forward looking for new methods to inject itself, and particularly in football. Witness the continuing ban on celebration of any type despite overflowing examples that similar is tolerated if not championed in so-called lesser sports. In short, it's a group who wants you to beg them for mercy, the higher profile the better. That's their essence. I'm sure they gather in private glee once articles with this theme are printed and quoted.

Yes, bow to us you heathens, submit early and we may consider sparing your head.

Harsh..yes.but it's only a little worse than what Alabama got and we self -reported our infractions.
Plus we caught the shaft on the back end of a plea deal because of another school(Tennessee and that scum sucking
dog Fat Phil)plus our commissioner at the time (old man Roy Kramer"*******") who long held a old grudge to the "Bear"
finally got his chance to stick it to Bama.
Do most schools bend the rules ..yes...USC blatantly threw it in peoples faces. Plus after Bama took the NCAA to court
over their "secret witness" the NCAA hadn't had the bite they used to...When they finally got the chance to flex
their muscle again...USC was the perfect villian to nail to the wall.