PDA

View Full Version : The Kenny McKinley Memorial Thread

FinAtic8480
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Fox 31 in Denver is reporting that Broncos WR Kenny McKinley has committed suicide.
McKinley is the third Broncos player to pass away suddenly in the past four years. CB Darrent Williams was killed in a drive-by shooting, and RB Damien Nash collapsed suddenly at a charity basketball event. McKinley was on injured reserve for a recurring knee ailment at the time of his death. Our thoughts and prayers go out to McKinley's family and friends and the entire Broncos organization.

www.rotoworld.com

Real sad news. My thoughts and condolences go out to McKinley's family, teammates, and friends.

RIP Kenny McKinley

Ilovemyfins4eva
09-20-2010, 09:44 PM
R.I.P. that is terrible news. i hope his family all the best during this tough time, and may our prayers be with them at this tough time.

Miamifins2381
09-20-2010, 09:45 PM
wow, r.i.p. Just saw this on twitter and it made me sad
RT @PostBroncos: I was just looking at his locker today and was wondering how he was doing. Noticed a lot of pictures of him with his young son.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 09:47 PM
I know, I'm a sick and heartless *******, but I have 0 sympathy for folks who kill themselves.

PhinsPhan11
09-20-2010, 09:49 PM
That's terrible news. RIP

Vaark
09-20-2010, 09:54 PM
RIP and condolences to the family (who are even more so victimized by a suicide, doomed to spend a good part of their lives tormented and wondering what they might have seen or done to prevent it).

X-Pacolypse
09-20-2010, 09:58 PM
Rest In Peace.

dolpns13
09-20-2010, 10:00 PM
no note?

Fin_Frenzy_84
09-20-2010, 10:01 PM
R.I.P. Prayers go out to him and his family

DphinBillkiller
09-20-2010, 10:02 PM
RIP Kenny McKinley

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 10:11 PM
I know, I'm a sick and heartless *******, but I have 0 sympathy for folks who kill themselves.

I'd like to say some stuff right now but il hold back. R.i.p mckinley whoever u are.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd like to say some stuff right now but il hold back. R.i.p mckinley whoever u are.

Feel free to pm me your thoughts.

Dolfan1000
09-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

hooshoops
09-20-2010, 10:19 PM
thats some sad stuff...my thoughts and condolences to his family

you never know what someone is going thru in their lives...

lucid22
09-20-2010, 10:22 PM

you got to at least feel for his family and friends.

R.I.P. This is always sad sad news.

SRM
09-20-2010, 10:24 PM
RIP buddy. Wish he could have continued to see the light of life.. just couldn't find it.

Ricky4Life
09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Rest in peace.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
sure, but whats that got to do with him? He was obviously a selfish and weak human being. I can feel for his friends and family.....him, not so much.

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 10:26 PM
sure, but whats that got to do with him? He was obviously a selfish and weak human being. I can feel for his friends and family.....him, not so much.

yo bro, the dude passed away, can u show some respect and not say anything negative bout mckinley in this thread? Classless...

jree
09-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Death is always hardest on the living. I hope you find mercy at your judgment

madmic21
09-20-2010, 10:27 PM

I don't think a lot of people understand that suicide is a sickness. These people are not themselves at these times. I coach high school baseball and 1 of my kids killed himself a couple years after he graduated. During the time I coached him he was one of the best kids I had ever had the pleasure to coach. A++++ kid. His mom died in a freak accident and he suffered with this and other issues obviously. The mind is so complex that you can't imagine the directions it will lead. I coached his younger brother and he handled the circumstance so differently. To suggest that you don't have sympathy is ignorant. You need to understand the depth of this reality before you can really feel sympathy. The sad part is that someone can get so removed from the real self that they would be compelled to take such a drastic measure. That is were the sympathy lies. Life can be so cruel that someone can not be saved or led a different direction. RIP to another soul that was seriously ruined by this sad circumstance.

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't think a lot of people understand that suicide is a sickness. These people are not themselves at these times. I coach high school baseball and 1 of my kids killed himself a couple years after he graduated. During the time I coached him he was one of the best kids I had ever had the pleasure to coach. A++++ kid. His mom died in a freak accident and he suffered with this and other issues obviously. The mind is so complex that you can't imagine the directions it will lead. I coached his younger brother and he handled the circumstance so differently. To suggest that you don't have sympathy is ignorant. You need to understand the depth of this reality before you can really feel sympathy. The sad part is that someone can get so removed from the real self that they would be compelled to take such a drastic measure. That is were the sympathy lies. Life can be so cruel that someone can not be saved or led a different direction. RIP to another soul that was seriously ruined by this sad circumstance.

well said bro

Mogwai
09-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Edit: Forget it. RIP

dolpns13
09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
yo bro, the dude passed away, can u show some respect and not say anything negative bout mckinley in this thread? Classless...

there always has to be at least one.. Some people simply do not know when not to speak, or keep thier thoughts to themselves, unfortunately

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Our minds probably couldn't grasp how many horrific tragedies are taking place in this world every single second. What connection does McKinley have to any of us that makes his suicide of unique importance? I'm not trying to be heartless and it's a terrible thing to have happen to his family. I'm just curious about the rationale behind a thread like this. Did any of you have any idea who he was before this?

some people are just classless...

j-off-her-doll
09-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Heard about this, and my heart sunk. There are no words of comfort for something like that.

lucid22

Although I know what your saying I can't completely agree. I mean you don't know what the guy is feeling, the things he's thinking, and what he's been through. Maybe he had some kind of self esteem issue or whatever it may be, but the fact of the matter is he took the unfortunate path and maybe he felt like he didn't have any options left. And I am in no way endorsing this tragic event but I am just saying don't assume everyone who commits suicide is a coward because sometimes people cannot overcome certain bumps in the road without help.

Dr. Mookie
Rip

Mogwai
some people are just classless...
The only response I have to that, pal, doesn't belong in a thread like this. And I already changed my post. This isn't a debate I feel like getting into.

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 10:35 PM
I kinda have to agree with Armyfin here. He killed himself, he left a young son and a family behind during his selfish act. His family didn't deserve that and he acted selfishly. But my condolences to his family, my prayers go out to them.

dolfan94
09-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Bro. People dont have suicidal thoughts just cause they feel like it. Something must have happened or they have a special gene that makes them prone to it. How do you know he was selfish? He probably was weak, but that's not his fault. I do feel for him as he obvously had problems up in his brain that most likely weren't his fault. They were natural or came by what may have hapenned during his life.

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 10:37 PM
I kinda have to agree with Armyfin here. He killed himself, he left a young son and a family behind during his selfish act. His family didn't deserve that and he acted selfishly. But my condolences to his family, my prayers go out to them.

heartless....

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 10:39 PM

For 1, this is a message board, not a funeral.Having spent 9 yrs in the military (where the suicide rate is well above civilian life) having been through 3 deployments, going for #4 next month, I've seen my fare share of suicides.I have 0 respect or remorse for people who feel life is so bad they decide the only thing left to do is make life worse for everyone that knows them.Our chaplains assistant blew his brains out all over his living area...why? bc his gf broke up with him. Get ****ing real.I've been through a lot and seen a lot of ****, why would I take the easy route for me and make everything worse for everyone around me? No thanks, it's just not in me. I'm sorry if my feelings or views are not in line with yours, but at least we can both hate the Jets.

Lefthanded24
09-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Im from Mableton GA Kenny's home town.. This is crazy RIP Kenny McKinley its a sad day.

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 10:44 PM
heartless....

I never killed myself when 2 of my best friends did in my arms after being **** at during a drive by. Or my brother who was part of the Charleston 9. It's a sad story, but to take your own life is a selfish act.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 10:45 PM
But maybe that's not as bad as what he was going through...

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
For 1, this is a message board, not a funeral.Having spent 9 yrs in the military (where the suicide rate is well above civilian life) having been through 3 deployments, going for #4 next month, I've seen my fare share of suicides.I have 0 respect or remorse for people who feel life is so bad they decide the only thing left to do is make life worse for everyone that knows them.Our chaplains assistant blew his brains out all over his living area...why? bc his gf broke up with him. Get ****ing real.I've been through a lot and seen a lot of ****, why would I take the easy route for me and make everything worse for everyone around me? No thanks, it's just not in me. I'm sorry if my feelings or views are not in line with yours, but at least we can both hate the Jets.

this. My cousin tried to kill herself 2+ times over boyfriends that left her. It's the worse thing you can do to your family and friends.

Travis34
09-20-2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81ab496e/article/sheriff-broncos-wr-mckinley-23-found-dead-at-his-home?module=HP_headlines

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos (http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) wide receiver Kenny McKinley (http://www.nfl.com/players/kennymckinley/profile?id=MCK403564) was found dead in his home Monday, authorities said. He was 23.

Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said authorities were called to McKinley's home in Centennial and found his body. Robinson said he couldn't provide any more details because detectives were investigating and in the process of notifying relatives.

Lefthanded24
09-20-2010, 10:50 PM
You people could atleast respect the friends and family involved in all this...you bring shame to being a dolphins fan or a human being for that matter.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
ummm....the only person who had no consideration for his family and friends was him...

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
You people could atleast respect the friends and family involved in all this...you bring shame to being a dolphins fan or a human being for that matter.

I 100% am sad for his family and friends. They didn't deserve this, shut nobody does. I hope his son will be ok.

SQuinn17
09-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Lay off ArmyFin. The guy made his choice and took his own life. Nobody has to be sorry for him taking his own life. Is it a sad situation, yes. But don't think that anybody has to have sympathy for someone who would take their own life.

Lefthanded24
09-20-2010, 10:58 PM
I 100% am sad for his family and friends. They didn't deserve this, shut nobody does. I hope his son will be ok.
I read there was no note..yea man its a sad story I wish them well.

#1Phins
09-20-2010, 10:58 PM
R.i.p.

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I understand u all have gone threw **** but so what, thats no reason to disrespect mckinley? say r.i.p to the guy and end it at that. Its hes life, if he wanted to end it than its hes choice.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
I understand u all have gone threw **** but so what, thats no reason to disrespect mckinley? say r.i.p to the guy and end it at that. Its hes life, if he wanted to end it than its hes choice.

So, I should have compassion and respect for a guy who willingly and knowingly decides to put his family and friends through hell??? No thanks, I'll pass.

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 11:04 PM
So, I should have compassion and respect for a guy who willingly and knowingly decides to put his family and friends through hell??? No thanks, I'll pass.

i give up, u win. Tear him to shreds.

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 11:05 PM

Then its my choice to not respect that he killed himself. What about his son? I could never leave m daughter like that. No way in hell.

SebasMiamiFan
09-20-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59kFCmOyZOo

R.I.P.

SQuinn17
09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
i give up, u win. Tear him to shreds.
Can u be any more of a drama queen? My goodness, you act like he's happy about the situation. Get a grip dude.

MarshallFin1
09-20-2010, 11:13 PM
Can u be any more of a drama queen? My goodness, you act like he's happy about the situation. Get a grip dude.

Have u read my posts in this thread? i have been nothing but the peacemaker. So u get a grip.

ArmyFin7
09-20-2010, 11:14 PM
peacemaker? Where was the war?

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 11:15 PM
It's a random guy. Why do you care so much? You didn't know him did you?

Patrick_Bateman
09-20-2010, 11:19 PM
you got to at least feel for his family and friends.

R.I.P. This is always sad sad news.

Yup Yup, RIP and my thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

madmic21
09-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Then its my choice to not respect that he killed himself. What about his son? I could never leave m daughter like that. No way in hell.

In regards to all posts like this. Sure all of us could never imagine leaving our loved ones behind like this. But there are two points that we should think of this in this place.
1. If you don't have a respectful offer of condolence it might be best to choose silence. Of course we don't agree with the choice. I know. But the choice is not made with your mind or your clearness. And there are family left behind that need support and we should make sure that our efforts are only in support of those left behind. And bashing does not support.

2. This is obviously a circumstance that no one can understand. It is completely uncomprehendable by us so imagine the depths of the mind of a person willing to take this step. You can't? Either can I. We don't understand it because this is not a normal functioning mind. Thats why I am sympathetic.

I mentioned earlier the suicide of a former player that I coached. At his Funeral the sermon was so powerful. It dealt with suicide and how God and us should handle our questions. God does not permit these actions. But the sermon suggested our relationship with god and his forgiveness. I will not try to even discuss the priests ability to offer a way for us to understand but it was powerful. This world is greater than our understanding and his touch is greater than that. We cannot understand but we can trust in his care. I wish I could better express the sermon because it gave me comfort and the ability to see past the sad act.

Phinatic8u
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM
In regards to all posts like this. Sure all of us could never imagine leaving our loved ones behind like this. But there are two points that we should think of this in this place.
1. If you don't have a respectful offer of condolence it might be best to choose silence. Of course we don't agree with the choice. I know. But the choice is not made with your mind or your clearness. And there are family left behind that need support and we should make sure that our efforts are only in support of those left behind. And bashing does not support.

2. This is obviously a circumstance that no one can understand. It is completely uncomprehendable by us so imagine the depths of the mind of a person willing to take this step. You can't? Either can I. We don't understand it because this is not a normal functioning mind. Thats why I am sympathetic.

I mentioned earlier the suicide of a former player that I coached. At his Funeral the sermon was so powerful. It dealt with suicide and how God and us should handle our questions. God does not permit these actions. But the sermon suggested our relationship with god and his forgiveness. I will not try to even discuss the priests ability to offer a way for us to understand but it was powerful. This world is greater than our understanding and his touch is greater than that. We cannot understand but we can trust in his care. I wish I could better express the sermon because it gave me comfort and the ability to see past the sad act.

I know man. My full condolences go out to his family.

I understand completly about this. Ive lost more loved ones than the average person does. I've dealt with it and never even thought of taking my life. His whole entire family is now completly ****ed up becuase he decided to kill himself. I for one don't understand how you can kill yourself. The most selfish and lame act anybody can do.

darth_stryder79
09-20-2010, 11:43 PM
RIP brother. Till all are one

dolfan19
09-20-2010, 11:47 PM
R.I.P. Kenny McKinley...

All Gamecock fans know what a great human being Kenny was. He was revered by his teammates and coaches for both his talents on the field, as well as his personality off of it. He was a leader on that team, and all of our fans loved him, cheered for him, and are now crying for him. Nobody is condoning what he did, but this is a thread and a period for mourning the loss of his life. Nobody expects you all to share the same opinion...just try to realize that he is more than "some random person" to some of us. Yes, he was a Bronco. Yes, he was a Gamecock. You may not have been a fan of either, but try to remember - first and foremost, he was a human being, a person, and a loved one to many. Just please try to respect those that care about this situation, and if you don't have an interest in this thread...please care enough for your fellow Dolfans to leave this thread to those who wish to mourn his loss.

Peace to you all. We're all family when it comes to moments like this.

darth_stryder79
09-20-2010, 11:49 PM

As people we tend to view the world through our narrow point of view. We are not here to judge our fellow human brothers.
That's not Your job.
I would go off but I don't want to disrespect this thread.

I love the support on this forum.

darth_stryder79
09-20-2010, 11:55 PM

I feel for your circumstances as well. Pain is a natural emotion. It is the ultimate teacher. Pain should bring us together.
Not lead to enforcing your point of view on everyone else.

I am a die hard dolphin fan. I am a human being first. I feel proud that this thread is on finheaven. If it bothers you just stay off this thread.

I don't want to argue with you. Can't you just let people show some love? Why does it bother you so much when people are showing compassion? Learn something about unconditional love. That's what real love is.

darth_stryder79
09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
ummm....the only person who had no consideration for his family and friends was him...

Please man. There is nothing respectful, loving, or compassionate to these posts.
This thread is for people who want to give their condolences.

If you want to push forth your personnel beliefs then lets start a new philosophical thread, I'm down. And I'll argue with you all day.

I don't know why it bothers you so much when fellow human beings are showing some unconditional love.

darth_stryder79
09-21-2010, 12:07 AM

That's fine man I'M NOT going to judge you for that and nobody else is either. I respect your life experiences and I'm sure you came to that conclusion yourself.

But I get the feeling YOU ARE judging people who do have compassion. I could be wrong, but it's just the feeling I get from your posts.

We all are shaped by our own life experiences. How could you possible have the slightest clue to everything going on in everyone elses life. It's judging somebody from a very narrow perspective.

Wisdom=wider perspective

darth_stryder79
09-21-2010, 12:10 AM
It's a random guy. Why do you care so much? You didn't know him did you?

I like to think that sports brings people together. True, I didn't know him. But there is so much apathy in the world. Check that, society. The world is beautiful place. Society in 2010 is not.
It has to start somewhere. Compassion for him. And for everyone else in the world period. It has to start somewhere.

FinAtic8480
09-21-2010, 12:18 AM
Can we be respectful and keep our comments to ourselves. As someone who has had a close friend commit suicide, I ask of all to be respectful. If you do not agree with McKinley's decision please reserve your thoughts. This thread is meant as a memorial, not a trial.

MarinePhinFan
09-21-2010, 12:22 AM
Damn. That's horrible. I wonder if he had some pain med/management problems?

Prayers to his family...

Ricky_Fan34
09-21-2010, 12:27 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to the McKinley family. As one who has had a friend commit suicide, I will say it sucks, and it just makes everyone who knew the person wonder if there was anything more they could've done. Suicide certainly isn't something many of us can understand, but sometimes a person gets so lonely and down, that they do what they consider, their only escape.

Again, thoughts and prayers out to the McKinley family, I cannot imagine what they are going through in this time of grief.

RIP Kenny McKinley.

FinAtic8480
09-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Thoughts and prayers go out to the McKinley family. As one who has had a friend commit suicide, I will say it sucks, and it just makes everyone who knew the person wonder if there was anything more they could've done. Suicide certainly isn't something many of us can understand, but sometimes a person gets so lonely and down, that they do what they consider, their only escape.

Again, thoughts and prayers out to the McKinley family, I cannot imagine what they are going through in this time of grief.

RIP Kenny McKinley.

It is a sickness. I don't even like to talk about it, I had a close friend of mine completely lose his mind and commit the act. This guy was one of the most nicest and thoughtful persons I have known, but he almost became possessed like when he decided to take his life. Definitely a touchy subject, I truly feel for his families and peers.

MP-Omnis
09-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Josh McDaniels is bad juju for that club.

Did McKinley kill himself because his knee injury was career-ending?

JCane
09-21-2010, 12:38 AM
Suddenly? That's usually what happens when you take your own life.

Mako
09-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Fine, that's your views.. You're entitled to them.

However, I think it's in pretty low class to put them on a MEMORIAL THREAD for the guy.

I understand everyone has to put their two cents out there in this day and age, especially on a public forum, yet in circumstances like this, I wish you would live by the mantra our parents once tought us -- "If you can't say anything nice......."

Mako
09-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Also, to understand suicide, you have to understand depression as a whole.

While I refuse to divulge in my life stories, I can tell you that I've lived with clincal depression since I was 10 years old, and I assure you it is the most misunderstood illness out there.

Imagine living with life carrying a 6,000 pound anvil on your shoulders--- every waking moment of the day. When your days are good, it's a life line of survival. When days go bad, that 6,000 pound anvil becomes a 10,000 pound anvil.

Once in awhile, people can overcome this. I have. Not that the depression has gone away by a long shot.. However, I've got a wonderful support system. My wife is also the best friend I've ever had, I'm one of the lucky ones who can say they married their best friend, she's truly been an anchor for me; and my daughter makes me externally and internally smile every day. Between the two of them, they've built my confidence and my spirit in ways they NEVER had been built before 2000 (when I met my wife). Because of them, I live every day, and they've taught me to overcome and to live life, not to allow life to live you.

While I'm one who DID overcome, others can't and never do. You can't fault them.. You've never lived their life.

I do hope that Kenny McKinley found the peace in death that he never had in life. It's a sad, unfortunate story of life overwhelming yet another young soul before his time should have been up.

Rest in Peace.