PDA

View Full Version : Building a computer , thoughts please.

Cloudy
09-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Does anyone know a better combination that fits together as far as individual components? I realize i'm going a bit overboard but the funds are there and i've been wanting to do something like this for awhile..

Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

3 SAMSUNG PX2370 Monitors

Processor: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM: 6GB-Corsair CMG6GX3M3A2000C8

Graphic card: EVGA GTX480SC x3

Sound card: ASUS Xonar Essence ST

60 GB SSD: OS/Bootup

3 2TB HDDs

Bumpus
09-25-2010, 04:11 PM
You've gotta be careful about building those super-computers ... Next thing you know, you'll need a secret lair to house it in.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/computer-1.jpg

FinFan 13
09-25-2010, 06:30 PM
Why would you waste that money on the extreme CPU? Get the I7 920 DO, it will clock just as fast as the 980 and save you some bucks. I run an I7 920 DO and i haven't found anything to even tax it a little. Programs are barely utilizing four cores, why buy a six core?

Case: I like mountain mods or Lian-Li. Or at the least a Coolermaster. You look like you want to spend some money, spend it in the right places...

6GB of ram is good, but get Corsair dominators @ 1600

GPU: it's a matter of preference here, but I'd go with a 5870, or two. But that card is nice...Hot as hell though. Are you planning on using H2O to cool your system?

The SSd for boot/OS is good and 6TB's of HD's is killer.

You don't list a power supply, which is the foundation of any high end system, if you stick to your plan get this one: CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014)

Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014) It will power everything you listed and give you enough headroom for a nice OC on your CPU.

Also with those components you are going to need some serious cooling, case with high airflow and lots of large fans, high end CPU cooler are a must. The 480 runs hot, you may really want to look into H2O, but do the research first. H2O is expensive and a little complicated for newbies.

Bumpus
09-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Why would you waste that money on the extreme CPU? Get the I7 920 DO, it will clock just as fast as the 980 and save you some bucks. I run an I7 920 DO and i haven't found anything to even tax it a little. Programs are barely utilizing four cores, why buy a six core?

Case: I like mountain mods or Lian-Li. Or at the least a Coolermaster. You look like you want to spend some money, spend it in the right places...

GPU: it's a matter of preference here, but I'd go with a 5870, or two. But that card is nice...Hot as hell though. Are you planning on using H2O to cool your system?

You don't list a power supply, which is the foundation of any high end system, if you stick to your plan get this one: CORSAIR Professional Series AX1200 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014)

Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014) It will power everything you listed and give you enough headroom for a nice OC on your CPU.

Also with those components you are going to need some serious cooling, case with high airflow and lots of large fans, high end CPU cooler are a must. The 480 runs hot, you may really want to look into H2O, but do the research first. H2O is expensive and a little complicated for newbies.

:lol:

:alert: Geek. :alert:

milldog
09-25-2010, 09:13 PM

With an obvious UPS battery back-up. Maybe a bit extreme but it's what I do.

Cloudy
09-26-2010, 04:43 AM

Didn't list some of the components such as the power supply , sound card , etc.. but I do plan on getting nothing lower then 1200w. I plan on water cooling but i've never assembled one before so i'm more nervous about that then anything else.

FinFan 13
09-26-2010, 10:11 AM

:up::up::up:....when it comes to electronics, you're probably right.:D

FinFan 13
09-26-2010, 10:13 AM
With an obvious UPS battery back-up. Maybe a bit extreme but it's what I do.

I have a back-up on my main system, but it's not really necessary at all. A good surge protector is much more important :)

FinFan 13
09-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Didn't list some of the components such as the power supply , sound card , etc.. but I do plan on getting nothing lower then 1200w. I plan on water cooling but i've never assembled one before so i'm more nervous about that then anything else.

Size is important, but quality is much more important. Stay with high quality PSU's only: Corsair, PC power and cooling, and Silverstone are the best. Get an 80 PLUS or higher rating. Trust me the PSU will make or break your system

As far as H2O, it's not hard but you really need to get a quality system and do a lot of research. If you want PM me and I'll get you some links to quality parts and some step by step instructions from experienced H2Oers.

Also if you're not set on that N'vidia 480, go look at the ATI 5870 GPUs.