PDA

View Full Version : Who Knows the Most About Religion (CNN)

WSE
09-28-2010, 12:54 AM
In fact, although the United States is one of the most religious developed countries in the world, most Americans scored 50 percent or less on a quiz measuring knowledge of the Bible, world religions and what the Constitution says about religion in public life.
The survey is full of surprising findings.
For example, it's not evangelicals or Catholics who did best - it's atheists and agnostics.
It's not Bible-belt Southerners who scored highest - they came at the bottom.
Those who believe the Bible is the literal word of God did slightly worse than average, while those who say it is not the word of God scored slightly better.
Barely half of all Catholics know that when they take communion, the bread and wine literally become the body and blood of Christ, according to Catholic doctrine.
And only about one in three know that a public school teacher is allowed to teach a comparative religion class - although nine out of 10 know that teacher isn't allowed by the Supreme Court to lead a class in prayer.

Its honestly not too surprising to me imo. I always consider it "smarter" to think about what you do, rather than just taking it from a book.

it seems like the article agrees with me also

Smith has a theory about why atheists did so well on the quiz - they have thought more about religion than most people.
"Very few people say that they were raised as atheists and agnostics," he explains.
About three out of four were raised as Christians, he says.
"They were raised in a faith and have made a decision to identify themselves with groups that tend to be fairly unpopular," atheists and agnostics, he says.
"That decision presupposes having given some thought to these things," which is strongly linked with religious knowledge, he says.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/28/dont-know-much-about-religion-youre-not-alone-study-finds/?hpt=C1

1Hawdolfin4L
09-28-2010, 01:38 AM
I scored 9 out of 10, with my wrong answer being that of the agnostic.

That is a good article because most Christians and I say over 90%(IMO) cannot even quote 1 scripture, and do not know many elements of the Bible as well.

Which leads me to this point.

Many Muslims cannot do the same for the Koran. Thus many do not know about all the VIOLENCE that is prescribed and advocated, and that is why I recommend that Muslims be educated about their Koran and see for themselves the TRUE intent and Ideology of Mohammad.

Locke
09-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I scored 9 out of 10, with my wrong answer being that of the agnostic.

That is a good article because most Christians and I say over 90%(IMO) cannot even quote 1 scripture, and do not know many elements of the Bible as well.

Which leads me to this point.

Many Muslims cannot do the same for the Koran. Thus many do not know about all the VIOLENCE that is prescribed and advocated, and that is why I recommend that Muslims be educated about their Koran and see for themselves the TRUE intent and Ideology of Mohammad.

Source? Link? Or just a wild guess...?

1Hawdolfin4L
09-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Hello Locke

It is a wild guess, but a logical one.

If you knew about all the commands to do violence, would you convert or even remain?

Or does all the silence on the subject suggest that they know?

X-Pacolypse
09-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I scored a 9 out of 10. Missed the last question.

tylerdolphin
09-30-2010, 01:25 AM
10/10. The result of being brought up in a religious community I guess.

Vaark
09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
LOL.. cruising in overdrive up until the final Supreme Court question.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/09/vscg75-1.jpg

Locke
09-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Hello Locke

It is a wild guess, but a logical one.

If you knew about all the commands to do violence, would you convert or even remain?

Or does all the silence on the subject suggest that they know?

A wild guess and a logical one? Those seem like opposing ideas to me.

Please don't tell me what Muslims do or do not know. My father is an immigrant from Iran, and speaks with his family over there weekly. While he is currently atheist and very much Americanized, he was raised Muslim and has forgotten more about the faith than you will ever know. During his weekly conversations with his family over there, he talks about all of the nonsense spread by people like you. They hate the generalization of all Muslims by Americans, but they hate the terrorists even more for being the fuel to the fire.

Muslims are not told to be violent. The passages in the Koran that describe violence are treated like Christians treat the violence in the old testament. You need to stop assuming you know more about Islam than Muslims do. You would flip out if anyone of another faith had the audacity to tell you that they knew more about your religion than you do. So why are you doing the same...?

1Hawdolfin4L
10-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Muslims are not told to be violent. The passages in the Koran that describe violence are treated like Christians treat the violence in the old testament. You need to stop assuming you know more about Islam than Muslims do. You would flip out if anyone of another faith had the audacity to tell you that they knew more about your religion than you do. So why are you doing the same...?

"to tell you that they knew more about your religion than you do." WHEN did I say I know MORE?

Anyway here are some works that I have come across which say that the peaceful verses are canceled. This is NOT MY work.

Peace or Jihad? Abrogation in Islam

by David Bukay
Middle East Quarterly
Fall 2007, pp. 3-11

http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-jihad-abrogation-in-islam
Abrogation and Jihad

Excerpts:

For many Islamists and radical Muslims, abrogation is real and what the West calls terror is, indeed, just.

Chapter 9 of the Qur'an, in English called "Ultimatum," is the most important concerning the issues of abrogation and jihad against unbelievers. It is the only chapter that does not begin "in the name of God, most benevolent, ever-merciful."[54] (http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-jihad-abrogation-in-islam#_ftn54) Commentators agree that Muhammad received this revelation in 631, the year before his death, when he had returned to Mecca and was at his strongest.[55] (http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-jihad-abrogation-in-islam#_ftn55) Muhammad bin Ismail al-Bukhari (810-70), compiler of one of the most authoritative collections of the hadith, said that "Ultimatum" was the last chapter revealed to Muhammad[56] (http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-jihad-abrogation-in-islam#_ftn56) although others suggest it might have been penultimate. Regardless, coming at or near the very end of Muhammad's life, "Ultimatum" trumps earlier revelations.

Because this chapter contains violent passages, it abrogates previous peaceful content. Muhsin Khan, the translator of Sahih al-Bukhari, says God revealed "Ultimatum" in order to discard restraint and to command Muslims to fight against all the pagans as well as against the People of the Book if they do not embrace Islam or until they pay religious taxes. So, at first aggressive fighting was forbidden; it later became permissible (2:190) and subsequently obligatory (9:5).[57] (http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-jihad-abrogation-in-islam#_ftn57) This "verse of the sword" abrogated, canceled, and replaced 124 verses that called for tolerance, compassion, and peace.[58] (http://www.meforum.org/1754/peace-or-jihad-abrogation-in-islam#_ftn58)

http://schnellmann.org/PIG_abrogration_naskh.pdf

(http://schnellmann.org/PIG_abrogration_naskh.pdf)
The Qur'an's tolerant verses: "canceled"

What's more, the Qur'an's last word on jihad is not defensive, but offensive.
The suras of the Qur'an are not arranged chronologically, but according
to length. However, Islamic theology divides the Qur'an into
"Meccan" and "Medinan" suras. The Meccan ones come from the first
segment of Muhammad's career as a prophet, when he simply called the
Meccans to Islam. Later, after he had fled to Medina, his positions hardened.
The Medinan suras are less poetic and generally much longer than
those from Mecca; they're also filled with matters of law and ritual-and
exhortations to jihad warfare against unbelievers. The relatively tolerant
verses quoted above and others like them generally date from the Meccan
period, while those with a more violent and intolerant edge are
mostly from Medina.

Why does this distinction matter? Because of the Islamic doctrine of
abrogation (naskh).This is the idea that Allah can change or cancel what
he tells Muslims: "None of Our revelations do We abrogate or cause to be
forgotten, but We substitute something better or similar: knowest thou not
that Allah Hath power over all things?" (Qur'an 2:106).According to this
idea, the violent verses of the ninth sura, including the Verse of the Sword
(951, abrogate the peaceful verses, because they were revealed later in
Muhammad's prophetic career: In fact, most Muslim authorities agree that
the ninth sura was the very last section of the Qur'an to be revealed.
In line with this, some Islamic theologians have asserted that the Verse
of the Sword abrogates no fewer than 124 more peaceful and tolerant
verses of the Q~ r ' a n
Another mainstream
and respected Qur'an commentator,
Isma'il bin 'Amr bin Kathir a1 Dimashqi
(1301-1372), known popularly as Ibn Kathir,
declares that sura 9:s "abrogated every agreement
of peace between the Prophet and any idolater, every treaty, and every term.. ..

1Hawdolfin4L
10-04-2010, 04:26 AM
The passages in the Koran that describe violence are treated like Christians treat the violence in the old testament. You need to stop assuming you know more about Islam than Muslims do. You would flip out if anyone of another faith had the audacity to tell you that they knew more about your religion than you do. So why are you doing the same...?

Thus from the above post, the later more violent passages cancel the earlier peaceful passages.

This is counter to the Bible where Jesus teach peace in the New Testament which then annuls the Old Testament.

Eph. 2:15
Good News for Modern Man
He abolished the Jewish Law, with its commandments and rules, in order to create out of the two races(Jew and Gentile/infidel) one new people in union with himself, in this way making peace.

Living Bible
By his death he ended the angry resentment between us, caused by the Jewish laws which favored the Jews and excluded the Gentiles(infidel), for he died to annul that whole system of Jewish laws.

New King James
Having abolished in His flesh the enmity, that is, the law of commandments contained in ordinances, so as to create in Himself one new man from two, thus making peace.

1Hawdolfin4L
10-04-2010, 04:31 AM
Locke

Sorry if I offended you or your father, that was not my intention.

Locke
10-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Locke

Sorry if I offended you or your father, that was not my intention.

I'm not offended. I'm not Muslim nor have i ever been. My father is also atheist, so I doubt he would care.

Frankly, you're being narrow. You would chastise anyone who quoted the old testament and used it's violence as proof that Christians are violent. Why are you doing the same thing here...?

Locke
10-04-2010, 11:05 AM
"to tell you that they knew more about your religion than you do." WHEN did I say I know MORE?

This isn't saying you know more?

Thus many do not know about all the VIOLENCE that is prescribed and advocated, and that is why I recommend that Muslims be educated about their Koran and see for themselves the TRUE intent and Ideology of Mohammad.

What are you saying here if you aren't claiming to know more about the true teachings if Islam...?

1Hawdolfin4L
10-04-2010, 01:14 PM
You would chastise anyone who quoted the old testament and used it's violence as proof that Christians are violent. Why are you doing the same thing here...?

See post #9 With the Koran where the violent passages cancel out the earlier peaceful passages.

See post #10 Where Jesus abolishes the old Jewish laws and ordinances.

Thus in the New Testament Jesus unites the Jews with the Gentiles/Infidels.

With the Koran Mohammad comes along and creates an entirely new spiritual race that goes against what Jesus had just created as one.

1Hawdolfin4L
10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
What are you saying here if you aren't claiming to know more about the true teachings if Islam...?

The survey or poll validates my observation, that most people don't know the beliefs about their own religion.

I tell you the truth, many Christians have a Bible in their homes, and they do not read it, and by the same token, many Christians also DON'T have a Bible in their homes.

Using that observation, I felt that ALL religions must be going thru that very same situations. Then if that is true, it would mean that many Muslims do not know about the violence.

That's all.