PDA

View Full Version : CNNSI: Confessions of an Agent....Must Read

tylerdolphin
10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I will never forget the first time I paid a player.
There are moments you will always remember, like your first kiss or your first home run or the day you met your wife. For me, the first time I broke an NCAA rule to try to land a client is just as indelible.
It was before the 1990 football season, and I flew from Los Angeles to Denver and drove to the University of Colorado to try to meet with Kanavis McGhee. He was a big, pass-rushing linebacker who was expected to be a high pick in the 1991 NFL draft. I was 20 years old -- the youngest agent ever certified by the NFL Players Association -- and had less than a year's experience, but for whatever reason I convinced myself that I had a shot with him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp

Holy crap. Discuss.

WISfinfan13
10-12-2010, 05:26 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp

Holy crap. Discuss.

This surprises you why?

Namor
10-12-2010, 05:31 PM
This surprises you why?

My thoughts excatly!

TedSlimmJr
10-12-2010, 05:42 PM
This guy is trying to make out like the agents are suddenly the victim.... and in the same breath disreguarding the kids as such, even though he CLEARLY mentions the kid's families being right along side with their hands held out as well, which is what happened to Andre Smith just 2 years ago. I've mentioned several times that Smith was surrounded by family members giving him bad advice and standing there with their hands out....

..the end result was going to be: Smith gets rich. The agent gets rich. The school and all the kids left behind get punished and suffer the consequences of Smith, his family, and the agents behavior. Chalk up a win/win for the agent and Andre Smith.

Agents arranging to acquire clients has been going on for decades... I remember all that came down on Bama in the early 90's when all Antonio Langham did was sign his name on a napkin in a restaraunt agreeing to let a particular agent represent him.

It's going to be a great discussion and a great thread, I'll have more to add when I have time.

WISfinfan13
10-12-2010, 05:46 PM
This is exactly why college kids should get some type of compensation for representing the university. These big football programs make plenty of money.

tylerdolphin
10-12-2010, 05:48 PM
This surprises you why?
It doesnt. Everyone KNOWS this happens. What makes this article awesome is that the "insiders" never talk about it as openly as this. It was very interesting. The part about the NC coach was especially interesting.

TedSlimmJr
10-12-2010, 07:11 PM
It doesnt. Everyone KNOWS this happens. What makes this article awesome is that the "insiders" never talk about it as openly as this. It was very interesting. The part about the NC coach was especially interesting.

You can't expect to swim with the sharks and not get any blood on you... even if you consider yourself one of the "good guy" sharks...

That's a lesson this guy learned the hard way, and it cost him a lot money in the process...

He put his long term vision of getting rich off of athletes he was friends with over his own integrity... he knew he was doing wrong at the time. There's an ol' saying that goes...

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have any, nothing else matters"...

The convenient excuse to break rules, laws, and any other structure put in place to protect amateur athletes because "Everyone else is doing it" isn't what he wanted his children to learn about him.... which is apparently the only reason he's as candid as he is about it.