PDA

View Full Version : No "it" for Henne

TX-Fin
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about Chad Henne, and whether he should be our starting quarterback or not. Those in favor of him ask for more time for him to show development, and even mention great quarterbacks who struggled during their early years, as if that is proof that he will develop.

First, this is ridiculously flawed logic, and proves nothing. I could probably find a list of terrible quarterbacks that started great, and ended poorly, or a list of quarterbacks that struggled early, and never amounted to much either. Listing a few that did well after starting poorly does not prove that Henne will do the same.

Second, Chad Henne started all four years in a major college program, and has now been in the NFL for three years. Don’t forget too, that during this time, he has had the privilege of sitting the entire first year, and has had the best QB coach and mentor any new quarterback could ask for, Chad Pennington. Henne is not straight off the streets; he has had plenty of time to show if he is going to be the future or not.

Lastly though (and I think most importantly), is what I call the “it” factor. When you watch Henne play, he does not seem to be all comfortable in the game. Many of the times, he hesitates too long with his decisions. He seems to be so afraid of throwing the pick (and he’s thrown a lot) that he is waiting for what he thinks is a safe separation of the receiver before he throws. In the NFL, this does not have to be very much if you are a good QB and have trust in your reciver. While Henne is known for his gun arm, his accuracy is very suspect, so needs bigger “windows” to throw into. This is why I think he hold the ball for so long, and why he ends up going to the “safe” check-down.

The other part of this is the decision making ability. Of course, we can’t know what plays are actually being called, but all plays are fluid in nature, and don’t always develop the way it was called/practiced. It is then left to the quarterback (as leader of the offence and guy holding the ball) to make the decision of what to do. Henne does not seem to do well in this decision making process, and I don’t mean just how fast he processes it either.

I by no means am trying to compare Henne to any of these guys, but when you look at the likes of Marino, Montana, and even the hated Brady, you see guys that can make leadership decisions in an instant. They were all late draft picks, but someone saw that they had something special. They don’t hesitate, and don’t panic and check down. I believe that this is instinctual; a God given talent, and what I mean by the “it” factor. This is not something that can be coached, learned or gained over time either. You simply have it, or you don’t, and I just don’t see it in Henne, and that is why I don’t buy into the argument that he just needs time.

I hope that I’m wrong, and that it’s just nerves or something else right now, but then again…

Vaark
10-12-2010, 06:04 PM
The FH search function is your friend.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/10/28218q0-1.jpg

finnns2000
10-12-2010, 06:05 PM
Cliffnotes: Chad Henne blows.

NYPhin24
10-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Fail

Nawledge
10-12-2010, 06:41 PM
First, this is ridiculously flawed logic, and proves nothing. I could probably find a list of terrible quarterbacks that started great, and ended poorly, or a list of quarterbacks that struggled early, and never amounted to much either. Listing a few that did well after starting poorly does not prove that Henne will do the same.

hows it flawed logic? whether you find terrible qbs who started great or qbs who are great now who started poorly how does it make any difference? You still have to give Henne some time before you can tell. Can he start a full season first? He had one BAD game because he threw 3 picks but our ST was the reason the game was out of reach, not Hennes. Henne drove us down the field against the Jets to try and tie the game. He tried to force a ball in on 4th down n got picked and people say he cant win games...so if he throws the ball to Marshall on that play and Cromartie knocks the ball away out of Marshalls hands is it still Hennes fault? Im not saying Henne is the next Dan Marino, Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. Im just saying ALOT of people here are really blowing this out of proportion, like they do with just about everything.

Lastly though (and I think most importantly), is what I call the “it” factor. When you watch Henne play, he does not seem to be all comfortable in the game. Many of the times, he hesitates too long with his decisions. He seems to be so afraid of throwing the pick (and he’s thrown a lot) that he is waiting for what he thinks is a safe separation of the receiver before he throws. In the NFL, this does not have to be very much if you are a good QB and have trust in your reciver. While Henne is known for his gun arm, his accuracy is very suspect, so needs bigger “windows” to throw into. This is why I think he hold the ball for so long, and why he ends up going to the “safe” check-down.

Ive seen Henne make some beautiful throws, notably 2 to Camarillo against the Jets or Pats last year that i can remember. Ive seen him make alot of good throws and a good amount of bad ones too. I think what your saying in this part that i quoted is due to the fact that he has one of the most conservative OCs ive seen in a long time and Chad Pennington as a mentor who is the king of dink n dunks. Hes constantly getting dont turn the ball over, dont turn the ball over, dont turn the ball over drilled into his head so it seems like he hesitates and second guesses himself before every throw causing him to release the ball late or check down. This is just my opinion but its based on the fact that ive heard and read several times about not wanting Henne to turn the ball over from Sparano and Henning. I understand wanting to limit turnovers but if you make your young QB afraid to throw the ball because hes so afraid of throwing an occasional pick were never gonna see him try for a throw that could wind up being a big play when he can check down and definately not turn it over. It seems to me that hes thinking about this too much instead of just playing the game which makes him seem uncomfortable when he drops back.

Strangeworld
10-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Bravo!

Henne won't be starting next season... I doubt he makes it to week 12.

Casas9425
10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
he can make throws that many quarterbacks can't make but he does seem uncomfortable on the field and he was an underachiever at Michigan. His mechanics are ugly, his accuracy is up and down and he doesn't have much pocket awareness, if he gets pressure the play is dead.

67Stang
10-12-2010, 06:55 PM
MODS, please move this to one of the other 1000 Henne bashing threads by people who are more interested in popularity than performance and have no clue that Henne has played well enough for us to be 4-0 and don't have the ability to see past their tunnel vision that Defense and Special teams have cost us the last 2 games.....Thank you!

Casas9425
10-12-2010, 06:57 PM
the teams that we beat have combined for 1 win. Henne was a non factor against the Bills and Vikings.

67Stang
10-12-2010, 06:59 PM
There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about Chad Henne, and whether he should be our starting quarterback or not. Those in favor of him ask for more time for him to show development, and even mention great quarterbacks who struggled during their early years, as if that is proof that he will develop.

Second, Chad Henne started all four years in a major college program, and has now been in the NFL for three years. Don’t forget too, that during this time, he has had the privilege of sitting the entire first year, and has had the best QB coach and mentor any new quarterback could ask for, Chad Pennington. Henne is not straight off the streets; he has had plenty of time to show if he is going to be the future or not.

The other part of this is the decision making ability. Of course, we can’t know what plays are actually being called, but all plays are fluid in nature, and don’t always develop the way it was called/practiced. It is then left to the quarterback (as leader of the offence and guy holding the ball) to make the decision of what to do. Henne does not seem to do well in this decision making process, and I don’t mean just how fast he processes it either.

I by no means am trying to compare Henne to any of these guys, but when you look at the likes of Marino, Montana, and even the hated Brady, you see guys that can make leadership decisions in an instant. They were all late draft picks, but someone saw that they had something special. They don’t hesitate, and don’t panic and check down. I believe that this is instinctual; a God given talent, and what I mean by the “it” factor. This is not something that can be coached, learned or gained over time either. You simply have it, or you don’t, and I just don’t see it in Henne, and that is why I don’t buy into the argument that he just needs time.

I hope that I’m wrong, and that it’s just nerves or something else right now, but then again…

Um Marino was a first round pick.

67Stang
10-12-2010, 07:02 PM
the teams that we beat have combined for 1 win. Henne was a non factor against the Bills and Vikings.
If you want to say scoring enough to win (even with D help) and not turning the ball over is a non factor, then Pennington has been a non factor for almost every win he had....ESPECIALLY in 2008.

Nawledge
10-12-2010, 07:11 PM
if he gets pressure the play is dead.

how so? the certain play i was talkin about before from last year was when the Jets were bringing the heat and Henne threw a perfect ball to Camarillo where only he could get it....with the Jets bringing the house. The Jets were blitzing 2 weeks ago and Henne threw for 300+....yes i know we still lost but what you said isnt necessarily true. Are you saying this because he doesnt scramble and just tucks the ball and takes a hit?

He was a non factor just like our whole offense was but he was barely asked to throw the ball in those 2 games, which our defense played outstanding. Our defense and special teams killed us the past 2 weeks and Henne was asked to throw the ball and had 300+ yards both games and he did throw costly INTs in the Pats game but its gonna happen from time to time. So now its Hennes fault that our defense couldnt stop the Jets and that our special teams let up 2 tds (kick return, blocked kick return) and gave the Pats the ball on our 20 (blocked punt)? I mean cmon now, if your blaming these 2 losses on Henne your just absolutely ****in crazy.

Wildbill3
10-12-2010, 07:18 PM
moved to spam because you messed up a comment about Marino. I award you no points.

Emil305
10-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Bro people like you sux... All you do is criticize ... If you are so good go try out and show us how its done.