PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dolphins, Jets rise fueled by attention to turnovers

BAMAPHIN 22
10-13-2010, 02:06 PM
While the Dolphins have failed to produce a single takeaway in their past two outings, both losses, the Jets have tied an NFL record by going four straight games without a turnover.

For a team with a quarterback coming off a 20-interception debut as a rookie, that is truly remarkable.

That's not to say Mark Sanchez wasn't shaky at times in Monday night's 29-20 win over Brett Favre's Vikings.

Antoine Winfield dropped what should have been Sanchez's first pick of the year in the third quarter, and "The Sanchise" badly mishandled the clock while nursing a two-point lead in the final two minutes.

But the bottom line is the Jets are taking care of the ball while using a ballhawking, pressure defense to produce nine takeaways in their four-game win streak.

The Dolphins? Their turnover margin has sagged to minus-3, which leaves them in the middle of the NFL pack.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano would never admit to being jealous of the Jets, but "that other team" is doing exactly what he'd like his team to do (and did in 2008).

"I think that you look at the teams that are having some success right now that are creating turnovers every game," Sparano said this week. "We want to force disruptions out there, and I think we've had our hands on a few footballs but have not made the play or finished the play in the last couple of ballgames, particularly the game against the Jets. We're hoping to get more of those."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-1013-20101012,0,2066051.story

dolpns13
10-13-2010, 02:10 PM
"We're hoping to get more of those." how about a little less hoping and a little more doing!

oasis
10-13-2010, 02:11 PM
That opportunistic mindset was something I thought we'd have this year, but haven't seen it yet. I don't understand why our guys don't seem to go for the strip as much as other teams do. Maybe it's the idea if you're going for a strip you won't make a "fundamentally sound" tackle, but I see other teams agressively punch the ball out while our defenders don't seem to bother. Just an observation.

datruth55
10-13-2010, 02:15 PM
That opportunistic mindset was something I thought we'd have this year, but haven't seen it yet. I don't understand why our guys don't seem to go for the strip as much as other teams do. Maybe it's the idea if you're going for a strip you won't make a "fundamentally sound" tackle, but I see other teams agressively punch the ball out while our defenders don't seem to bother. Just an observation.

We haven't been good at creating fumbles, outside of the occasional sack that creates a fumble, for a while now. I haven't seen anybody on this team try to punch a ball out, club a ball down or yank it like a lawn mower since Jim Bates was here.

Bumpus
10-13-2010, 02:15 PM
:bobdole:

Repeat after me: It's not Jets week anymore.

(waits patiently)

... Can we please keep the damn Jets threads out of the main forum?!?

Moving.

nyjunc
10-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Antoine Winfield dropped what should have been Sanchez's first pick of the year in the third quarter, and "The Sanchise" badly mishandled the clock while nursing a two-point lead in the final two minutes.

Keller(I think it was keller) was pushed in the back and interfered w/ causing the ball to get by him and go through the Minny DBs hands. That almost pick wasn't his fault and I always hear about almost picks for sanchez but never for other QBs- I wonder why that is? EVERY QB has a scare or 2 in a game w/ dropped INTs.