PDA

View Full Version : Tim Brewster Fired as Gophers HC

ChambersWI
10-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Not surprisingly, Tim Brewster was fired by the University of Minnesota. The hire itself was a weird choice in the first place as he had never even been a coordinator, Brewster was hired because of his recruiting abilities. While he has gotten some good recruits, he has been an awful HC, and has routinely changed systems.

Minny has already said they will not make a cheap hire like they did with Brewster.

tylerdolphin
10-18-2010, 01:13 AM
I hope Miami is taking notes

ChambersWI
10-18-2010, 10:55 AM
I hope Miami is taking notes

I know Cane fans hate Shannon, but this situation was BAD. As a Michigan fan in Big 10 country let me explain it.

1.Glenn Mason, a decent HC that had the Gophers going to bowl games, was fired because he didn't even bother recruiting. His 2 best recruits were Marion and Dominique Barber; both guys came to Minny because of their dad.

2.Brewster had a huge reputation as Mack Brown's best recruiter at both North Carolina and Texas, but it was still a bad hire because he had never been a coordinator, and was at the time Denver's TE coach.

3.He talked a big game about keeping the in-state recruits home after Mason let some studs like James Laurenitis leave, but Mason didn't do that. He didnt even try to get Malcolm Floyd and lost out on Seantrel Henderson nor could he get his own son Nolan, who was a 5 star safety, to go there with the promise of early PT. He got some talented players like MarQuis Grey, Michael Carter, and a couple other players but he is not recruiting like he said he would.

4.He constantly is changing systems. His second year at Minny, Adam Weber showed A LOT of potential in a spread offense. The next year they change to a pro system, and the only guy who could make an impact was Eric Decker, who practically got killed his senior year by Brewster's playcalling.

5. Zero wins in rivalry games.

Vikings DC Leslie Frazier, who is always an NFL HC candidate, has already expressed interest in the job as have a few respected assistants. They need a guy who knows the local area. Brewster did not.

X-Pacolypse
10-18-2010, 02:18 PM
I know Cane fans hate Shannon, but this situation was BAD. As a Michigan fan in Big 10 country let me explain it.

1.Glenn Mason, a decent HC that had the Gophers going to bowl games, was fired because he didn't even bother recruiting. His 2 best recruits were Marion and Dominique Barber; both guys came to Minny because of their dad.

2.Brewster had a huge reputation as Mack Brown's best recruiter at both North Carolina and Texas, but it was still a bad hire because he had never been a coordinator, and was at the time Denver's TE coach.

3.He talked a big game about keeping the in-state recruits home after Mason let some studs like James Laurenitis leave, but Mason didn't do that. He didnt even try to get Malcolm Floyd and lost out on Seantrel Henderson nor could he get his own son Nolan, who was a 5 star safety, to go there with the promise of early PT. He got some talented players like MarQuis Grey, Michael Carter, and a couple other players but he is not recruiting like he said he would.

4.He constantly is changing systems. His second year at Minny, Adam Weber showed A LOT of potential in a spread offense. The next year they change to a pro system, and the only guy who could make an impact was Eric Decker, who practically got killed his senior year by Brewster's playcalling.

5. Zero wins in rivalry games.

Vikings DC Leslie Frazier, who is always an NFL HC candidate, has already expressed interest in the job as have a few respected assistants. They need a guy who knows the local area. Brewster did not.

That would be a good hire for them.

Mako
10-21-2010, 03:11 PM
Frazier would be a fantastic hire for them.

I've also heard they're targeting Lou and Skip Holtz, and are pipe dreaming over the possibility of getting Dungy.

tylerdolphin
10-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Frazier would be a fantastic hire for them.

I've also heard they're targeting Lou and Skip Holtz, and are pipe dreaming over the possibility of getting Dungy.
Dungy already turned down the job I think

ChambersWI
12-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Jerry Kill, the NIU HC, is the new Gopher coach. Kill has had success at Saginaw Valley State and Southern Illinois in the 1-AA, and has also gone to 3 straight bowls with Northern Illinois (including a 10 win season this year). Kill and Wisconsin OC/QB coach Paul Chryst were the finalists. Kill isn't a big name hire, but he knows the midwest, and is a decent coach.