PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Gates injuries

overworkedirish
11-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Anyone else been starting the amazing #85? I think he might actually not start this week though, hurting the plantar fascia in the opposite foot of his toe problem. Plus, Week 10 is their bye week, so he'll get 3 full weeks to recover if he sits out this Sunday.

I just hope that Patrick Crayton and Philip Rivers (both of whom I'm going to start) can connect on the bunch which Gates may not get...

emeraldfin
11-05-2010, 06:34 AM
I'd be very surprised if he did not play Sunday. Like you said the Chargers have their bye next week so he has a chance to heal those injuries. Alos with the Chargers struggling they badly need Gates in there, so I think they do everything in their power to start him.

overworkedirish
11-05-2010, 07:13 AM
I was reading about the pain from plantar fasciitis, and what specific movements agitate it. He's such a ****ing trooper, I know, but I just don't know if he can muscle through this week (pun intended).

The anatomy of the plantar fascia is such that every time the foot pushes off, the fascia is under stretch. Jenkins points out that it is impossible to perform at Gates' position without repeatedly subjecting the plantar fascia to stress and strain. "When he gets in his stance, the gastroc [calf muscle] is on stretch. It attaches to the plantar fascia and the heel pad so as he pushes off, it will be painful." And it's not just limited to receiving situations. "As a blocker, he has to push hard through that foot against a defender," Jenkins adds.

What can be done? "Not much," says Jenkins. "It is hard to truly anesthetize the area." Beyond masking the pain, there is the functional aspect of what the loss of the plantar fascia means for support of the foot. The natural treatment would be to create a supportive orthotic (foot support) that could be inserted into Gates' shoe. But as Jenkins points out, early on that orthotic can be even more pain provoking as it comes into contact with the arch. "A custom foot orthotic is intended to build up the arch to make sure the soft tissues -- such as other tendons that control the foot and ankle -- are not being overstretched. But as weight bearing occurs through the medial [inner] aspect of the foot, that orthotic is now in direct contact with the arch and it's painful."

http://espn.go.com/sports/fantasy/blog/_/name/bell_stephania/id/5765193/moss-impact-britt-rice-gates-foot