PDA

View Full Version : Randy Shannon reportedly on Minnesota's short list of candidates to replace Brewster?

Mako
11-08-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.footballrumormill.com/2010/11/03/phil-fulmer-to-minnesota-randy-shannon-mike-leach-mark-mangino-scott-linehan-jeff-jagodzinski-marc-trestman/

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer has emerged as a possible candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Minnesota, according to several media reports. “Minnesota has great potential, and with its new facilities it’s a place you could recruit to,’’ Fulmer told the News Sentinel on Tuesday night. “I believe it’s a place where you can compete.’’ Fulmer, who was forced to resign near the end of the Vols’ 5-7 season in 2008, was non-committal when asked if he was interested in the Gophers’ position or if he has had contact with the school. Former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster was fired more than two weeks ago. Since then, NBCsports.com has reported that Randy Shannon, Mike Leach, Mark Mangino, Scott Linehan, Jeff Jagodzinski and Marc Trestman have “popped up” as potential candidates. On Tuesday, The Sporting News reported Fulmer is the latest name on that list.

I'm truly stunned that Minnesota has any interest whatsoever in Shannon. He's been mediocre in the ACC, he'll get swallowed alive in the Big Ten.

Truthfully, if Minnesota has any interest whatsoever, I volunteer to personally drive Randy Shannon to Minneapolis to make sure he makes his press conference.

chrisbaucom
11-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Drive him? Hell, I will carry him on my back all the way to Minnesota!!

And we couldn't get this lucky.......somebody at Minnesota is playing a cruel joke on Miami fans right now.

Mako
11-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Haha, I hear you there Chris.. I'd carry the whole family one by one to Minnesota.

I just can't see why they'd have ANY interest in Shannon whatsoever. There's plenty of coaches out there, why they'd have even a fleeting interest in Shannon is beyond me.

ChambersWI
11-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Here's the thing with Minnesota, they fired Glen Mason because he couldn't/didn't want to recruit. He got 3 recruits worth a damn during his time as Head Coach; Lawrence Maroney, and Marion & Dominique Barber. The Barber brothers came to Minny because of their dad.

Brewster was hired because he could recruit (was Mack Brown's best recruiter at Texas and UNC), and he did a good job bringing talent to the Gophers. Not Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State talent, but about the same level of talent Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State normally get. Brewster however, had never been more than a position coach. The one winning season he had in 4 years was when the Gophers scheduled a bunch of cupcakes. They never competed in Big Ten games, and Brewster had no idea how to run a program.

The Minnesota boosters want the Gophers to compete in the Big Ten. They aren't expecting the Gophers to be what Ohio State, Michigan (until the last 3 years), and Penn State are. But they do expect what Iowa,Wisconsin,Michigan State, and Purdue (until recent years) have been; consistent winning programs that get good to occasionally great recruits that are battling in the top 25 most years, with the occasional contention for Big 10 title. MSU and Purdue don't really fit in the next issue(Purdue hasn't really been great since Orton left), but Iowa and Wisconsin do. The Badgers and Hawkeyes keep good players in state, compete for the Big Ten title for 2-3 years, kind of hover around .500 when that group graduates, and then they repeat.

I know Shannon hasn't been a great coach at Miami, but the pressure of coaching the Hurricanes is probably too big for him right now. At Minny, going 7-5 consistently with the occasional 8-4, 9-3, maybe 10-2 seasons while also bringing in good recruiting classes is exactly what MInny wants.

Dolfan3773
11-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Take him please

X-Pacolypse
11-08-2010, 07:18 PM
If Minnesota is OK with mediocrity, then Shannon is their guy.

tylerdolphin
11-09-2010, 02:16 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

JCane
11-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

Mako
11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Here's the thing with Minnesota, they fired Glen Mason because he couldn't/didn't want to recruit. He got 3 recruits worth a damn during his time as Head Coach; Lawrence Maroney, and Marion & Dominique Barber. The Barber brothers came to Minny because of their dad.

Brewster was hired because he could recruit (was Mack Brown's best recruiter at Texas and UNC), and he did a good job bringing talent to the Gophers. Not Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State talent, but about the same level of talent Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan State normally get. Brewster however, had never been more than a position coach. The one winning season he had in 4 years was when the Gophers scheduled a bunch of cupcakes. They never competed in Big Ten games, and Brewster had no idea how to run a program.

The Minnesota boosters want the Gophers to compete in the Big Ten. They aren't expecting the Gophers to be what Ohio State, Michigan (until the last 3 years), and Penn State are. But they do expect what Iowa,Wisconsin,Michigan State, and Purdue (until recent years) have been; consistent winning programs that get good to occasionally great recruits that are battling in the top 25 most years, with the occasional contention for Big 10 title. MSU and Purdue don't really fit in the next issue(Purdue hasn't really been great since Orton left), but Iowa and Wisconsin do. The Badgers and Hawkeyes keep good players in state, compete for the Big Ten title for 2-3 years, kind of hover around .500 when that group graduates, and then they repeat.

I know Shannon hasn't been a great coach at Miami, but the pressure of coaching the Hurricanes is probably too big for him right now. At Minny, going 7-5 consistently with the occasional 8-4, 9-3, maybe 10-2 seasons while also bringing in good recruiting classes is exactly what MInny wants.

Chambers, you have a valid point however keep this in mind.. The brass at Minnesota is stopping short of BEGGING Tony Dungy to take the job. In their ideal, perfect, best case scenario, he's their coach from this point forward.

Thus far, Dungy has (not surprisingly) rejected all overtures but is helping with the coaching search and reccomending candidates.

I do think Shannon may be good for the 6 or 7 win season here and there, but is that enough for the Gophers? When you look at the names that were immediately linked to the job (Dungy, Mike Leach, Mike Belotti, Tony Dungy), Shannon seems like a major step backwards.

Let's be honest too.. Recruiting in Miami, or to Miami really isn't too hard of a gig. Recruiting to Minneapolis? Not as easy or plum.

Tunaphish429
11-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I dont think Randy Shannon is gonig anywhere..Canes just signed him long term..

All tho he may not be a great football coach I think the U likes how he relates to the players and has been thru what alot of the players have been thru..

He is still getting good recruits even tho Florida is the powerhouse in the state and maybe even in the country.

This is Randy's dream job. I dont think he leaves unless Miami fires him.