PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for dan henning

miamiron
11-19-2010, 11:23 PM
At least he would have more of a brain than what Henning has

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/mugshot2athumb400x519-1.jpghttp://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/muuugshot2bthumb400x519-1.jpg

Cops have a way with language. So when Miami police arrested the man whose extremely bizarre booking photo made him the star of Mugshots Friday (http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2010/11/yes_that_flattened_head_mugsho.php), who was trying to purchase "street slang for vaginal" for $80 from an undercover detective, they didn't hesitate when filling out the "unique physical features" box of the police report. Click on the report to enlarge. We're redacting the name, published elsewhere, until we get a hold of the guy.
Yes, that says: "Half a Head".

HALF A HEAD IS BETTER THAN "NO HEAD HENNING"

vagrantprodigy
11-19-2010, 11:26 PM
My three year old could call a better game than Henning.

In all honesty, I really do think some of the fans could do a better job than he has.

johngarry
11-20-2010, 12:26 AM
oooookaaaaaay... nice suggestion... it's a start... but how'bout, saaaaaay... Brian Billick?

josekareh
11-20-2010, 12:35 AM
How about 90% of the college OC....

Vaark
11-20-2010, 12:51 AM
Mike Leach - especially considering how Henne looked after The Fossil uncharacteristically spread out the formation last week.

Tigers2003
11-20-2010, 01:13 AM
Leach's offense will not work in NFL. Billick,mehhhh maybe. A College OC?

Nick13
11-20-2010, 01:15 AM
I do like the idea of going to a more spread style. We'd need more good receivers to begin with, but with the way our RB's catch the ball out of the backfield it could be a very good option. Also, having power backs like Ricky and Ronnie would thrive in the spread because there is a lot more running room and much smaller players on the field.

People say that the spread won't work in the NFL, but I'm not convinced. The spread is predicated on high percentage quick reads in lieu of a traditional running game. My favorite college team, University of Arizona, runs the spread offense and while it's not always the most exciting thing to watch 4 yard completions, it moves the ball. I mean, you can't take the whole playbook, like for example, bubble screens would definitely be less effective in the NFL because of the physical attributes of Pro defenders, but I think it's something that is certainly worth attempting.

tylerdolphin
11-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Mike Leach - especially considering how Henne looked after The Fossil uncharacteristically spread out the formation last week.
Joking? Leach runs a gimmick offense.

tylerdolphin
11-20-2010, 10:12 AM
I do like the idea of going to a more spread style. We'd need more good receivers to begin with, but with the way our RB's catch the ball out of the backfield it could be a very good option. Also, having power backs like Ricky and Ronnie would thrive in the spread because there is a lot more running room and much smaller players on the field.

People say that the spread won't work in the NFL, but I'm not convinced. The spread is predicated on high percentage quick reads in lieu of a traditional running game. My favorite college team, University of Arizona, runs the spread offense and while it's not always the most exciting thing to watch 4 yard completions, it moves the ball. I mean, you can't take the whole playbook, like for example, bubble screens would definitely be less effective in the NFL because of the physical attributes of Pro defenders, but I think it's something that is certainly worth attempting.
You mentioned the problem though. Its not going to work if you cant run a bunch of screens and short passes instead of runs. It might work against bad defense, but good ones will expose that one dimensional crap in a heartbeat.

Nick13
11-20-2010, 12:20 PM
I think you CAN run those plays, but their effectiveness won't be the same. Short routes are still effective, quick outs and quick slants are run often in the NFL and have success. Bubble screens occur from time to time in the NFL, and have limited success, it's a major component of the spread, but not a make or break play, especially since it's used in lieu of running to take advantage of the spread out defense and get a playmaker in space quickly. There are other ways to accomplish that through traditional screens and swing passes to RB's. Also, since the Wildcat is essentially a spread formation/concept, it would fit in well and allow for more variety and help disguise the formation a little bit...of course, to truly disguise the formation you need a running QB that can effectively operate as the 'trigger' man and/or you need Ronnie to show some proficiency in throwing the ball.

I don't think it's something that is necessarily 'destined to fail' in the NFL, I think it's something that can be used effectively, but will have to be done so in a more cagey manner than it is in college. There are some college coaches who have NFL experience and run spread style offenses, such as June Jones, perhaps someone like him would be an interesting choice for offensive coordinator.

finfan1927
11-20-2010, 12:48 PM
It will be David Lee unless they can get someone better over the offseason like they did with Mike Nolan for the D. Lee might be best actually since Henne has already worked with him in this system. If you bring in a new guy, Henne will have to learn a whole new style of offense and that could slow down his development even further.

Nick13
11-20-2010, 12:50 PM
It will be David Lee unless they can get someone better over the offseason like they did with Mike Nolan for the D. Lee might be best actually since Henne has already worked with him in this system. If you bring in a new guy, Henne will have to learn a whole new style of offense and that could slow down his development even further.

This is true and fair...however, if they think that an outside O-Coordinator is what the doctor ordered, the new guy might want his own QB. It's not a knock on Henne, but depending on what system the new coordinator runs, he might want a guy he feels fits his system better.