PDA

View Full Version : RUMOR: Rich Rodriguez to be Fired

ChambersWI
11-26-2010, 10:56 PM
No real links, and I personally don't believe it, but there are rumors starting to circle that Michigan Athletic Director David Brandon has made his mind up to fire Rodriquez after the Ohio State game. The rumors are strong enough that Brandon said earlier this week that "no changes, if any, will be made until after the new year".

If the rumors are true, I don't know how I feel. Rod has not been a great fit at Michigan for a couple reasons, the biggest being his undying loyalty to Tony Gibson (who is an awful coach, and an ok recruiter) and his insistence on running the 3-3-5 (which WONT work in the Big 10), and the other being his recruiting. Recruiting hasn't been bad under Rod, just lazy. A lot of the big time prospects Rod has gotten have ties to Michigan, or were fans, OR they were guys that he offered early before Rivals/Scout evaluated them (so they became 3* guys at best maybe 4*). He REALLY doesn't try to recruit a lot of top notch guys unless they are from Michigan. The one guy he did recruit, Demetrius Hart, he has been recruiting for 3 years.

That being said, Rod's offense is really starting to come together, and he has done a great job conditioning the team. He really needs to either let Robinson run HIS D, or get a new DC and let him run his D. I honestly think that the only reason these rumors are coming out are that a former Michigan QB (Jim Harbaugh) and a former Michigan Assistant (Brady Hoke) are proving to be very capable head coaches, and they would excel at what Rod has really failed; understanding the BIg Ten and Michigan culture and mentality.

Again, I don't believe the rumors, but they are circulating

Bumpus
11-26-2010, 11:45 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/cheshirecat5-1.jpg

BTW ... Rich Rodriguez & the phrase "undying loyalty" have no business being in the same universe, let alone sentence.

ChambersWI
11-27-2010, 02:30 AM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/11/cheshirecat5-1.jpg

BTW ... Rich Rodriguez & the phrase "undying loyalty" have no business being in the same universe, let alone sentence.

lol with Gibson it does. I remember WVU fans coming onto Michigan boards and saying how bad Gibson was as a safety coach, and he has been bad. He was put in charge of ST this year, and it sucked. Darryl Stonum set a Big Ten record in return yards last year, and we put Jeremy "I can't field a kick to save my life" Gallon back on return.

Also, with an almost 100% promise loss to Ohio State tomorrow, Rod will have gone winless against MSU,OSU,PSU, Northwestern, and Iowa while only having one win against Illinois, Purdue, and Wisconsin. Going undefeated against Indiana and Minnesota (only 1 game) is not going to cut it.

Ricky4Life
11-27-2010, 02:03 PM
I heard rumors a while back that jim harbaugh would like to coach michigan.

COphinphan89
11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
RichRod would have no one but himself to blame. That said, I would love to see him hired on as an OC at UF. Nothing is worse than Steve Addazio.

ChambersWI
11-27-2010, 05:34 PM
REALLY sounds like Rod is out. David Brandon was not a fan of him, but was willing to give him a chance this year in good faith. Thing is, Brandon PLAYED at Michigan. He was a QB for 2 years and a DE for 2. I have no doubt how the team played in Big Ten play ate him alive. That and he was talking with other alumni from Michigan, and Rod is NOT well liked.

Rod has a good offensive mind, and he DID/DOES preach hard work, but he doesn't/refuses to grasp the Big Ten culture. His offense works fine, but he doesn't understand that the 3-3-5 won't work. He also doesn't understand how important recruiting is.

Also plays a lot of guys out of position.

chrisbaucom
11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Maybe Rich Rod and Randy Shannon can call each other and cry.

X-Pacolypse
11-28-2010, 08:43 PM
Rich Rod sucks.

utahphinsfan
11-29-2010, 04:45 PM
but he doesn't understand that the 3-3-5 won't work.

Really? A 3-3-5 in the Big 10? There was a time when there were 4 teams in the Mtn West running it and it wasn't successful there or then.

Arsenal WV
12-03-2010, 03:29 PM
WVU runs the 3-3-5 defense and is ranked #3 nationally. You just need to get the right personnel to run it. And it will work.

ChambersWI
01-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Whelp after today I don't think Rodriquez can even be a fall back option. There needs to be change. Whether it's Jim Harbaugh, Brady Hoke (who wants the job), or somebody else Rodriquez can no longer be the head coach at Michigan. He tried hard, but he just couldn't adapt to the Big 10. At this point I would take Ron English and his 2 career wins at EMU over Rod.

Team was just too undisciplined and the offense could not do anything against above average teams. The defense regressed every year, we kicked 4 FGs ALL YEAR, could barely do anything in the return game, and he really hasn't been a good recruiter. Most of the players he has gotten that were above average prospects were either from Michigan, areas the Wolverines have success recruiting from (Ohio and PA), or have some connections to Michigan (Craig Roh and Tate Forcier). Only reason we got Denard Robinson was because we were the only school that said he could play QB.

Rod just was in over his head.

CedarPhin
01-01-2011, 09:42 PM
Hoke just signed an extension with SDSU, so he may be out of it. I don't know if Harbaugh wants to leave Stanford, being that he's gotten them ranked at #4 and has a Top 5 recruiting class coming in.

I can't see Dick Rod hanging on after this mess. Maybe he can go and coach Pitt. Haha.

ChambersWI
01-01-2011, 10:00 PM
yes Hoke DID sign an extension, but rumors are Hoke sent David Brandon a list of assistants he would get for Michigan 2 weeks ago. Hoke has openly said he is interested in the job (he said it at Ball State and at SDSU).

And Harbaugh has said in the past that Michigan is his dream job. He lived the first part of his childhood there, went to school at Michigan. He loves the school and the school loves him. BUT the question is $$$.

X-Pacolypse
01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
yes Hoke DID sign an extension, but rumors are Hoke sent David Brandon a list of assistants he would get for Michigan 2 weeks ago. Hoke has openly said he is interested in the job (he said it at Ball State and at SDSU).

And Harbaugh has said in the past that Michigan is his dream job. He lived the first part of his childhood there, went to school at Michigan. He loves the school and the school loves him. BUT the question is $$$.

This is absolutely true. Despite the extension, Hoke made it clear to SDSU's AD that he wants the Michigan job. So if Harbaugh goes pro (hopefully to the Dolphins) then Hoke is Ann Arbor bound. Which sucks for SDSU because he's got them headed on the right path.

MadDog 88
01-02-2011, 01:54 AM
Hoke said he "would crawl to Michigan" to be the coach. Harbaugh is the first choice of the fans obviously but they'll have to pony up big money to keep him from the NFL. Harbaugh would be the better hire but Hoke is an awfully nice consolation prize.

CedarPhin
01-02-2011, 02:23 AM
Hoke would bring a pretty good staff with him to Michigan too. Al Borges and Rocky Long are great coordinators.

ChambersWI
01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Hoke would bring a pretty good staff with him to Michigan too. Al Borges and Rocky Long are great coordinators.

he said he'd bring guys with a Michigan background. The rumors are he has reached out to Chuck Heater, Corwin Brown, Vance Bedford, and a few other guys to be part of a staff.

One of Rodriguez's big issues is that he didd't surround himself with a good staff. His best move was keeping Fred Jackson on the staff