PDA

View Full Version : TCU to join Big East

Deep2Evans
11-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Good for them. The Big East isn't an amazing conference but it's much better for TCU to play better teams and try and be more legit.

It looks like TCU will get its chance to play in a BCS automatic qualifying conference.

The Horned Frogs have accepted an invitation to join the Big East as an all-sports member, sources told ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett on Monday morning. An official announcement is expected at 1 p.m. CT.

TCU is currently third in football in the BCS standings and has a chance to play in the national championship, but the winner of the Mountain West does not automatically qualify for a BCS bowl. The Big East does qualify for the 2012 and 2013 seasons and will be bolstered by the Horned Frogs' three consecutive top 11 BCS finishes. Fanhouse.com reported that TCU will join the Big East for the 2012-13 school year.

The Big East will now have 17 members, with nine in football. The conference has extended an invitation to Villanova to become the 10th football member.

Connecticut at 7-4 will likely represent the Big East in a BCS bowl this season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=5862368

X-Pacolypse
11-29-2010, 01:17 PM
That's a move I didn't expect.

utahphinsfan
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
That's a move I didn't expect.

Gary Patterson was awfully coy back when (BYU AD) Holmoe was trying to be clever back in late Aug/early Sept

Rumors about TCU gained traction earlier this month (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898)

TedSlimmJr
11-29-2010, 05:33 PM
Travel expenses just went way up for TCU... especially since they're going to be an all sport member...

I can see the benefit for the Big-East adding TCU (gets a toe into the Texas recruiting base).. but I don't really see the benefit for TCU football... going to the Big-12(-2) makes much more sense to me...

LouPhinFan
11-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Travel expenses just went way up for TCU... especially since they're going to be an all sport member...

I can see the benefit for the Big-East adding TCU (gets a toe into the Texas recruiting base).. but I don't really see the benefit for TCU football... going to the Big-12(-2) makes much more sense to me...

Travel expenses aren't going to be any higher than they were going to be. Traveling to Storrs or New Jersey isn't much further than San Diego or any of the schools in it current conference.

TedSlimmJr
11-29-2010, 06:31 PM
Travel expenses aren't going to be any higher than they were going to be. Traveling to Storrs or New Jersey isn't much further than San Diego or any of the schools in it current conference.

San Diego St. is the only team in the MWC that TCU has had to travel to California to play inside the conference... all the MWC teams are in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Nevada... they're all right there in the backyard...

Traveling to Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio, South Florida, New York, etc... just became a lot more expensive... especially when you're sending your women's sports on the road along with your football team as an all sport member... it's a huge difference..

Dolfan3773
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't know why but I like the TCU logo lol

LouPhinFan
11-29-2010, 11:29 PM
San Diego St. is the only team in the MWC that TCU has had to travel to California to play inside the conference... all the MWC teams are in Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Nevada... they're all right there in the backyard...

Traveling to Pennsylvania, Connecticut, New Jersey, Ohio, South Florida, New York, etc... just became a lot more expensive... especially when you're sending your women's sports on the road along with your football team as an all sport member... it's a huge difference..

Sorry I meant in their new, realigned conference. Traveling to Boise and Wyoming is just as far. If Hawaii joins the Mountain West for football then that saves travel money for TCU because they won't have to go the islands.

utahphinsfan
11-30-2010, 04:27 PM

There are only 3 major airports (Denver, SLC, & Las Vegas) to schools not named TCU or San Diego St. Getting to BYU in Provo from the SLC airport is 45 minutes. However, Getting to Laramie, Wyoming from Denver is quite a Trek.

Dallas/Ft Worth is a major airport. So, it might not be too bad getting to Pitt, UConn, & Rutgers. The others I don't know about. Then, there is losing an hour everytime TCU goes east.

TedSlimmJr
11-30-2010, 04:38 PM
There are only 3 major airports (Denver, SLC, & Las Vegas) to schools not named TCU or San Diego St. Getting to BYU in Provo from the SLC airport is 45 minutes. However, Getting to Laramie, Wyoming from Denver is quite a Trek.

Dallas/Ft Worth is a major airport. So, it might not be too bad getting to Pitt, UConn, & Rutgers. The others I don't know about. Then, there is losing an hour everytime TCU goes east.

It's still not about JUST football... TCU is joining the Big-East as an ALL SPORT member... which dramatically increases the cost of travel expenses for the University...

San Diego St. is irrelevent because their women's sports don't even compete in the MWC... so travel expenses there didn't even exist...

Mako
11-30-2010, 04:59 PM

Not really. Honestly, distance-wise they're no different now than they were in the MWC. The closest "geographic" rival to them in the Mountain West was New Mexico, which is over 10 hours away. In contrast, Louisville (their closest Big East rival now) is 11.

Agreed, but the Big 12 is on such shaky ground right now, the chances of them expanding were slim. It's a big benefit for TCU just in the mere sense that they now are in an AQ conference. 11-1 in the Mountain West gets you sent to the Hula Bowl. 11-1 in the Big East likely gets you sent to the BCS.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

It's still not about JUST football... TCU is joining the Big-East as an ALL SPORT member... which dramatically increases the cost of travel expenses for the University...

San Diego St. is irrelevent because their women's sports don't even compete in the MWC... so travel expenses there didn't even exist...

Yep, you again are correct but football is the big kingpin in all the expansion talks.

TedSlimmJr
11-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Not really. Honestly, distance-wise they're no different now than they were in the MWC. The closest "geographic" rival to them in the Mountain West was New Mexico, which is over 10 hours away. In contrast, Louisville (their closest Big East rival now) is 11.

Agreed, but the Big 12 is on such shaky ground right now, the chances of them expanding were slim. It's a big benefit for TCU just in the mere sense that they now are in an AQ conference. 11-1 in the Mountain West gets you sent to the Hula Bowl. 11-1 in the Big East likely gets you sent to the BCS.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Yep, you again are correct but football is the big kingpin in all the expansion talks.

My point about San Diego St.'s women sports not competing in the MWC has nothing to do with expansion.... it has to do with travel expenses...

Geography has nothing to do with the travel expenses.... it's the fact that they're going to be sending every sport they play to the east coast now that dramatically increases the cost...

For example....traveling from Dallas to New York may cost me roughly the same expense wise as traveling from Dallas to San Diego... but not if I have to travel from Dallas to New York 15 more times a year...

I mean... either you grasp it or you don't...

Moving on... TCU joining the Big-East is still only short term gain in my opinion... once Gary Patterson is gone TCU will be irrelevant again... the Big-East conference already is...

The Big-East gets a pinky toe in Texas recruiting... and opens up the Dallas/Ft. Worth tv market... problem is, there's not THAT many TCU fans to begin with...

LouPhinFan
12-01-2010, 09:12 AM
My point about San Diego St.'s women sports not competing in the MWC has nothing to do with expansion.... it has to do with travel expenses...

Geography has nothing to do with the travel expenses.... it's the fact that they're going to be sending every sport they play to the east coast now that dramatically increases the cost...

For example....traveling from Dallas to New York may cost me roughly the same expense wise as traveling from Dallas to San Diego... but not if I have to travel from Dallas to New York 15 more times a year...

I mean... either you grasp it or you don't...

Moving on... TCU joining the Big-East is still only short term gain in my opinion... once Gary Patterson is gone TCU will be irrelevant again... the Big-East conference already is...

The Big-East gets a pinky toe in Texas recruiting... and opens up the Dallas/Ft. Worth tv market... problem is, there's not THAT many TCU fans to begin with...

It does another thing. It guarantees the Big East keeps their AQ spot for another 4 years while Louisville rebounds from the Kragthorpe era (Charlie Strong is the man) and Syracuse rebounds from the funk they were in. The Big East was down last year and this year, but the BE will trend back up. Will they ever be the SEC? No. But they will be on par with the ACC again.

What makes you think Patterson will leave TCU? He makes $1.3 million (second highest amoung non-BCS coaches). With BCS conference money, TCU can increase that with a new contract. He now can compete for an AQ spot in a BCS conference and he'll now pull in better recruits. Its not a given that he's going to leave TCU.

Bumpus
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Welcome aboard.