PDA

View Full Version : atheism:what if it were the worlds primary belief?

dreday
12-16-2010, 03:43 PM
this may have been done before, but I will take a chance with it. there is the suggestion that if religion and the notions of god was non-existent that the world would be a better place. if atheists got their wish, what would the world look like?how would atheism deal with the issues of life?

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 04:37 PM
I believe the world would be a far better place. Let's face it, religions have started wars. Whether it be the Crusades, or Islamic extremists waging jihad against the Western world. Priests, men who are entrusted with many parish members darkest secrets (Sacrament of Reconciliation) abuse the trust of the people and rape the children of that parish unbeknownst to the parents. Think about the Salem Witch Trials held in the early settlement of Massachusetts. Young women getting drowned, stoned, or burned at the stake for believing in something different or suffering from a mental illness. Look at the Middle East, it's the year 2010 and men treat the women of those countries as if they were lesser than dogs. Covered from head to toe in a burqa with little to no rights whatsoever. Oh, and if they do happen to do anything deemed unfavorable by the "powers that be" in said countries they get sentenced to death. It's disgusting.

Nazi Germany, look at what Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich did to thousands of people just because they were members of the Jewish faith. In my honest opinion, I tend to believe that many folks turn to religion because they need something to believe in, which I feel derives from a lack of belief in self. Because some people tend to have such little self confidence that they feel the need to turn to a fictional deity for "inspiration and guidance." I was raised in the Catholic faith, but when I left home at 19 years old, joined the Navy, and moved back to California I had the time necessary to truly go through and reexamine everything I had been taught since birth.

For 18 years, I had been told that Catholicism was the way to live your life, believe in God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit and through them all good things shall come. Well, more often than not, the "power of prayer" didn't do a damn thing. As the years went by I learned that greatest belief that one can have is the belief in self. Believe in yourself, truly believe that you are good enough to take on any challenge and become everything that you've dreamed of being and it can happen. No "deity" can give you the kind of hope, inspiration, and personal joy that the simple power of self belief can give you. Religion is a poison, it clouds judgement, it clouds rational thinking, and if you don't think that it does look at the state of American politics as it stands today. Marijuana is illegal, even though it's a natural substance. Abortion is a hot topic issue, even though there is nothing wrong with giving a woman the freedom to decide whether she wants to give birth to a baby or not. Gay marriage, another hot button issue that really shouldn't be one, but yet these insane religious zealots seem to believe that marriage should only be defined as "one man, one woman."

Bottom line, everybody wants world peace, but as long as there is religion you'll never see it happen.

dreday
12-16-2010, 06:21 PM
not alot would change quickly, but in time it will have a trickle down effect on everything.

a lot of irrational thought would be gone, this means while you may have the timothy mc Veighs still, you don't have multiple groups consisting of 1,000s of members blowing things up because they believe so and so is going against their god and it's in the divine plan for them to do so. i don't think it would completely end all corruption ,but it will cut the amount of attacks drastically, and with that comes governments and people who can build the land, who can take the time and pick someone they believe is right to lead their nation and not have to be careful because choosing the wrong one will get him assassinated and get 3/4 of the cities blown up.

then you will have people who will have to take responsibility for their actions and not blame the devil, not blame a deity, they will be solely responsible for what they do. this will make people more aware of their actions, more aware of others actions. climate control will be in effect because people will wake up and say "well nothing is going to save us but ourselves". did anyone watch the climate conference reviews on CNN? some bald man on there was talking about how it's in gods will, if he doesn't want it to happen it won't. that train of thought wouldn't exist.

if a large organization was found guilty of molesting children, hiding it, and covering it up, and on top of that dabbling with dirty money they would go down. right now the vatican can do as it pleases because people think some magical man is going to throw a temper tantrum if something happens to this place.and i like your post x-pac...

Locke
12-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Amazing post X-pac. I couldn't agree more...

tylerdolphin
12-16-2010, 07:36 PM
not alot would change quickly, but in time it will have a trickle down effect on everything.

a lot of irrational thought would be gone, this means while you may have the timothy mc Veighs still, you don't have multiple groups consisting of 1,000s of members blowing things up because they believe so and so is going against their god and it's in the divine plan for them to do so. i don't think it would completely end all corruption ,but it will cut the amount of attacks drastically, and with that comes governments and people who can build the land, who can take the time and pick someone they believe is right to lead their nation and not have to be careful because choosing the wrong one will get him assassinated and get 3/4 of the cities blown up.

then you will have people who will have to take responsibility for their actions and not blame the devil, not blame a deity, they will be solely responsible for what they do. this will make people more aware of their actions, more aware of others actions. climate control will be in effect because people will wake up and say "well nothing is going to save us but ourselves". did anyone watch the climate conference reviews on CNN? some bald man on there was talking about how it's in gods will, if he doesn't want it to happen it won't. that train of thought wouldn't exist.

if a large organization was found guilty of molesting children, hiding it, and covering it up, and on top of that dabbling with dirty money they would go down. right now the vatican can do as it pleases because people think some magical man is going to throw a temper tantrum if something happens to this place.and i like your post x-pac...
The sad thing is, if the guy had cancer he would be doing everything the doctor told him to do. Im almost sure he wouldnt be leaving it in God's hands.

dreday
12-16-2010, 07:39 PM
The sad thing is, if the guy had cancer he would be doing everything the doctor told him to do. Im almost sure he wouldnt be leaving it in God's hands.

yeah,cause why leave it in somebody's hands that isn't even there...i'll need to see amputees healed or something proving there is some sort of existence here...

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Funny you mention that. Does anybody recall, and I don't recall the specifics of the story exactly, so bear with me. A couple of years ago there was a news story that came out about teenage girl dying even though her condition was very treatable. Why did she die? Well, turns out her family turned down the medicine that would help her. Instead, they felt that their daughter could only get better through the "power of prayer." Well, needless to say the "power of prayer" didn't work and a young girl lost her life to a very treatable condition. I think the story ended with talk of possible charges of child abuse/child neglect.

Anyways, this is just one of MANY examples of the kind of harm that religion can do. Most religious people will tell you about how "awesome" the power of prayer can be, but when it's a matter of life and death it doesn't mean a thing. Trust me, I stood beside my father's hospital bed as many people came by and prayed for a miracle recovery. However, if you listened to the doctors, the nurses, and all of the medical staff who were watching him throughout the night, I knew that there was nothing that could save him. Lo and behold, I lost my father the next morning. So, much for having the priests come in and all the prayers.

dreday
12-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Funny you mention that. Does anybody recall, and I don't recall the specifics of the story exactly, so bear with me. A couple of years ago there was a news story that came out about teenage girl dying even though her condition was very treatable. Why did she die? Well, turns out her family turned down the medicine that would help her. Instead, they felt that their daughter could only get better through the "power of prayer." Well, needless to say the "power of prayer" didn't work and a young girl lost her life to a very treatable condition. I think the story ended with talk of possible charges of child abuse/child neglect.

Anyways, this is just one of MANY examples of the kind of harm that religion can do. Most religious people will tell you about how "awesome" the power of prayer can be, but when it's a matter of life and death it doesn't mean a thing. Trust me, I stood beside my father's hospital bed as many people came by and prayed for a miracle recovery. However, if you listened to the doctors, the nurses, and all of the medical staff who were watching him throughout the night, I knew that they was nothing that could save him. Lo and behold, I lost my father the next morning. So, much for having the priests come in and all the prayers.

yeah, as a matter of fact i think it was either bama or myself that posted the story.my dad died slowly but surely too.none of the prayer helped.

tylerdolphin
12-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Anyways, this is just one of MANY examples of the kind of harm that religion can do. Most religious people will tell you about how "awesome" the power of prayer can be, but when it's a matter of life and death it doesn't mean a thing. Trust me, I stood beside my father's hospital bed as many people came by and prayed for a miracle recovery. However, if you listened to the doctors, the nurses, and all of the medical staff who were watching him throughout the night, I knew that there was nothing that could save him. Lo and behold, I lost my father the next morning. So, much for having the priests come in and all the prayers.
The thing that always got me about prayer is that when the prayer is answered, its proof of God and how great he is, but when it isnt answered its just Gods will.

1Hawdolfin4L
12-16-2010, 08:17 PM
In reply to:

In my honest opinion, I tend to believe that many folks turn to religion because they need something to believe in, which I feel derives from a lack of belief in self.

A very small sampling of people with a "Lack of belief in self."

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Muhammad Ali

Deion Sanders

Reggie White

Tony Dungy

Joe Gibbs

Dan Reeves

Kurt Warner

Tom Landry

Pete Maravich

Dave Robinson

Orel Herschiser

John Smoltz

George Foreman

Evander Holyfield

Merry Christmas

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 08:19 PM
The thing that always got me about prayer is that when the prayer is answered, its proof of God and how great he is, but when it isnt answered its just Gods will.

Basically, you have a "God" that "picks and chooses" on who he wants to help. Yet, when going through Catholic school you're always taught that "God loves you" and "Jesus loves you." Really? You know, if these cats REALLY loved us all SOOOOO much then don't you think that they would want to help as many of their "children" as they can? Seems to me like Catholic doctrine needs to change their teachings from: "God loves you" to "God loves everybody.... except you. Because whatever bad things happen to you is just God's will. Sorry!"

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 08:25 PM
In reply to:

In my honest opinion, I tend to believe that many folks turn to religion because they need something to believe in, which I feel derives from a lack of belief in self.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Muhammad Ali

Deion Sanders

Reggie White

Tony Dungy

Joe Gibbs

Dan Reeves

Kurt Warner

Tom Landry

Pete Maravich

Dave Robinson

Orel Herschiser

John Smoltz

George Foreman

Evander Holyfield

Merry Christmas

Happy Holidays.

tylerdolphin
12-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Basically, you have a "God" that "picks and chooses" on who he wants to help. Yet, when going through Catholic school you're always taught that "God loves you" and "Jesus loves you." Really? You know, if these cats REALLY loved us all SOOOOO much then don't you think that they would want to help as many of their "children" as they can? Seems to me like Catholic doctrine needs to change their teachings from: "God loves you" to "God loves everybody.... except you. Because whatever bad things happen to you is just God's will. Sorry!"
Further than that...I dont blame God for not feeling bad for me. Ive had some crappy things happen, but overall Ive had it good. I had two parents who cared about me. Im not homeless. I have friends. I know where my next meal is coming from. ****, God should put me on the back burner. Look at Africa. There are billions of people in FAR worse shape than you or I will ever be in and if God cares he does a poor job of showing it. You know how many kids could be saved every day if God just sent a rain cloud their way?

1Hawdolfin4L
12-16-2010, 08:47 PM
When a football team loses,
They say the team needs to build character.

That is what God is doing, building character.

Believing in God as the Supreme, not yourself or mankind as the supreme.

God lets everything hang because he needs to let everything hang,
to show man and the Universe that man and Satan cannot control their destiny and that ONLY God
know all the answers.

God allows us and mankind to fail, especially when God is not in our lives.
Like the alcoholic and the drug user, we need to hit bottom.
We are not there.

If you have faith, you know that in the end everything will work for the better.
If you believe in Jesus, you will live AGAIN.

dreday
12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Further than that...I dont blame God for not feeling bad for me. Ive had some crappy things happen, but overall Ive had it good. I had two parents who cared about me. Im not homeless. I have friends. I know where my next meal is coming from. ****, God should put me on the back burner. Look at Africa. There are billions of people in FAR worse shape than you or I will ever be in and if God cares he does a poor job of showing it. You know how many kids could be saved every day if God just sent a rain cloud their way?

not only that, why are there so many people in africa or in the back woods who have never even heard of god?isn't one of the requirements to get into heaven to "know god"?

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM

to show man and the Universe that man and Satan cannot control their destiny and that ONLY God
know all the answers.

We are not there.

If you have faith, you know that in the end everything will work for the better.

So God took a page ot of the book of Cam Cameron? That's his philosphy for all mankind? Fail, Forward, Fast? Well, if that's the case you religious folk are screwed.

tylerdolphin
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I just noticed I got thanks #666 on a post in a thread about atheism :lol:

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 10:35 PM
not only that, why are there so many people in africa or in the back woods who have never even heard of god?isn't one of the requirements to get into heaven to "know god"?

Sure is. That's why a lot of these missionaries hand those poor people a Bible before they hand them a loaf of bread, a glass of milk, or medicine to cure their sickness. Here's a real knee slapper, for you. Get this, apparently there can be no such thing as "world hunger." Because, if you believe in the Bible then you know of a story where Jesus fed a crowd of 5,000 people with five loaves of bread and two pieces of fish. So, for a God that's so "loving" and "all powerful" why hasn't the "savior" bestowed this "miracle" upon the world?

Don't you think those families in Haiti, Africa, Dominican Republic, and other third world countries where many go hungry everyday sure could use this "miracle?" WOW, what a God you guys have. A God that's so loving that he lets his own "children" starve to death when it's so easy for he/she/it to cure all of their ills. Yeah, God sure does love his people. :rolleyes2:

dreday
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
or he could at least come down and visit every now and then to let everybody know things are going to be ok.not so sure of the evidence that a man named jesus ever even existed.

X-Pacolypse
12-16-2010, 11:37 PM

know all the answers.

We are not there.

Guess what? If you leave one of your teeth beneath your pillow a magical fairy will fly into your window and give 25 cents in an exchange for your tooth. Get this, if you leave out cookies and a glass of milk, and if you've been good all year then a jolly fat man, with a beard, wearing a red suit will fly onto the top of your house with a sleigh powered by magic reindeer. This man will then climb down your chimney and bestow your household with lots of presents!

What's the point of this? Simply this, when I was a child I used to believe in these fictional characters. Eventually, as I got older I realized that these characters were simply a fantasy. Several years after that discovery, I realized that Jesus Christ, God, the Holy Spirit, and every other religious character are all works of fiction much like Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, the Great Pumpkin, etc. I grew out of this phase. Isn't it about time you do the same?

dreday
12-17-2010, 01:23 AM

know all the answers.

We are not there.

explain how religions that contradict each other can have the same meaning. for example christianity says jesus is the ONLY way to heaven

islam says jesus is NOT the only way to heaven..explain away please..

JCane
12-17-2010, 01:35 AM
I have a question about this Jesus character. He was gay?

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/12/RainbowJesus-1.gif

Locke
12-17-2010, 01:15 PM
I have a question about this Jesus character. He was gay?

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2010/12/RainbowJesus-1.gif

:lol:

This is a good way to get your house bombed...

LouPhinFan
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
How would it be, well from a non-Christian view there wouldn't be the following:

music of any kind
a great many priceless works of art

There's no arguing that religion has caused war, not as many as land and resources, but still some war. Religion, however, is also responsible for music, specifically polyphonic music, the ancestor of that hip hop tune playing on your iPod right this instant. Many of the greatest composers would have never even been known: Bach, Hayden, Handel, Rutter, etc

How would your world look without Michelangelo's statue of David or his painting on the Sistine Chapel or many of da Vinci's paintings? You are even able to read this because some monks decided to keep writing and reading alive during the dark ages.

I believe in your haste to condemn all religion, you forget about the many countless good works that are done in religion's name.

Tunaphish429
12-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I am not sure that things would change? I do not believe in god..But I think ppl find any difference they can to start confrontation and wars..

Even tho the biggest wars and problems maybe over religion..

Its sad but ppl often unite with each other and motivate themselves against others because they are different..

Sad to say nothing would change..Ppl would just fight over everything else..The world is a messed up place..It always has been too..Dont you love how older ppl say things used to be different...Well no ppl were killing each other of anything since the start of time..Its never going to change.

Jesus or No Jesus.

1Hawdolfin4L
12-17-2010, 06:28 PM
The fact that everyone of you is alive today despite all the evil around us is proof of God,s mercy, grace and love for you.

God can kill anyone of us here and now or whenever. BTW Satan also might have that ability, but with our faith in Jesus we will come back to life and that is the difference.

Enjoy whatever fruits that you have now and be thankful for tomorrow God may take them back.

God is merciful in that he has given you another chance or day or days and years to acknowledge God and Jesus that you might have eternal life.

God could wipe out all living things in a second, but he is waiting until all that is saved, will be saved.

As for the tooth fairies etc. that is all the work of Satan. He wants to deceive you and misinform you in any which way YOU want. He has existed since the earth was created and has all of that knowledge in storage; he is a smooth operator, cunning and will kill you. He doesn’t care about you, never did, never will.

I cannot give you all the answers, it will take too much time, and some, I only have faith, of which I know many of you don’t understand.

Just know this, believe in Jesus and you will be saved.

Satan is prowling around like a lion looking for people to devour. He even comes looking like an angel of light, a priest, your best friend, your girl friend, your advisor. Your only defense is to know the WORD and Jesus.

Phinatic8u
12-18-2010, 04:01 PM
SO my daughter will be decived by satan because she gets a quater for losing a tooth? Or wanting a gift from santa? or getting chocalate from the easter bunny?

:lol:

Jesus is santa clause for adults

X-Pacolypse
12-18-2010, 09:30 PM
The fact that everyone of you is alive today despite all the evil around us is proof of God,s mercy, grace and love for you.

God can kill anyone of us here and now or whenever. BTW Satan also might have that ability, but with our faith in Jesus we will come back to life and that is the difference.

Enjoy whatever fruits that you have now and be thankful for tomorrow God may take them back.

God is merciful in that he has given you another chance or day or days and years to acknowledge God and Jesus that you might have eternal life.

God could wipe out all living things in a second, but he is waiting until all that is saved, will be saved.

As for the tooth fairies etc. that is all the work of Satan. He wants to deceive you and misinform you in any which way YOU want. He has existed since the earth was created and has all of that knowledge in storage; he is a smooth operator, cunning and will kill you. He doesn’t care about you, never did, never will.

I cannot give you all the answers, it will take too much time, and some, I only have faith, of which I know many of you don’t understand.

Just know this, believe in Jesus and you will be saved.

Satan is prowling around like a lion looking for people to devour. He even comes looking like an angel of light, a priest, your best friend, your girl friend, your advisor. Your only defense is to know the WORD and Jesus.

Now I've heard it all..... and you call us "non believers" insane?

dreday
12-18-2010, 09:49 PM
the sad thing is,he probably REALLY believes everything he typed.

jnewmant
12-29-2010, 03:38 AM
How would it be, well from a non-Christian view there wouldn't be the following:

music of any kind
a great many priceless works of art

There's no arguing that religion has caused war, not as many as land and resources, but still some war. Religion, however, is also responsible for music, specifically polyphonic music, the ancestor of that hip hop tune playing on your iPod right this instant. Many of the greatest composers would have never even been known: Bach, Hayden, Handel, Rutter, etc

How would your world look without Michelangelo's statue of David or his painting on the Sistine Chapel or many of da Vinci's paintings? You are even able to read this because some monks decided to keep writing and reading alive during the dark ages.

I believe in your haste to condemn all religion, you forget about the many countless good works that are done in religion's name.
i've heard on more than one occasion that more people have been killed in the name of religion than any other cause since the dawn of humanity as we know it. I'm not really inclined to believe it because I tend to rely on empirical data to prove or disprove bold statements like this but if it's not true it's def. not far from the truth. Religion has poisoned our species since it's inception and will continue to do so until people start to use logic as their primary means of thinking. The problem I have with most religious people is they unknowingly rely on the texas sharpshooter fallacy to prove the notion that their supreme being exists. without god the world would def. be a far better place. there would be far less hate and prejudice, governments would run more efficiently, and people could devote the countless hours they spend worshiping an idea to doing something positive and meaningful. da vinci would have still been da vinci without the last supper. He was the most brilliant man of his time and maybe even the most brilliant man that ever walked the face of the planet. Michelangelo's best statue wasn't even david btw it was his genius of victory statue and once again he would still be michelangelo without david or the sistine chapel because he would have been considered one of the most famous and sought after arcitects and artists of his time he just wouldnt have been getting paid to paint religious mythology. I don't know a whole lot about the history of music so I will leave it be for someone that does but i'm pretty sure us heathens could have figured out how to belt a tune on a pipe organ without singing swing low sweet chariot.

Locke
12-29-2010, 03:30 PM
i've heard on more than one occasion that more people have been killed in the name of religion than any other cause since the dawn of humanity as we know it. I'm not really inclined to believe it because I tend to rely on empirical data to prove or disprove bold statements like this but if it's not true it's def. not far from the truth. Religion has poisoned our species since it's inception and will continue to do so until people start to use logic as their primary means of thinking. The problem I have with most religious people is they unknowingly rely on the texas sharpshooter fallacy to prove the notion that their supreme being exists. without god the world would def. be a far better place. there would be far less hate and prejudice, governments would run more efficiently, and people could devote the countless hours they spend worshiping an idea to doing something positive and meaningful. da vinci would have still been da vinci without the last supper. He was the most brilliant man of his time and maybe even the most brilliant man that ever walked the face of the planet. Michelangelo's best statue wasn't even david btw it was his genius of victory statue and once again he would still be michelangelo without david or the sistine chapel because he would have been considered one of the most famous and sought after arcitects and artists of his time he just wouldnt have been getting paid to paint religious mythology. I don't know a whole lot about the history of music so I will leave it be for someone that does but i'm pretty sure us heathens could have figured out how to belt a tune on a pipe organ without singing swing low sweet chariot.

The church didn't invent any of the instruments, but they pretty much started music as a major component of human life. That's not to say music wouldn't have found it's way into society without it, but simply stating that the church did play an important part in early musical history. Without the church, music may have taken longer to grow into what it eventually became, but I do think it would have gotten there eventually...

canesandbhoys
12-29-2010, 11:55 PM
In reply to:

Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Muhammad Ali

Merry Christmas

These people say hello: http://brainz.org/50-most-brilliant-atheists-all-time/

Also, the first two (Ali quite prominently) are Muslim.

Happy Festivus.

canesandbhoys
12-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Oh by the way, does the bible not say the devil is very deceptive? What if everyone has god and Satan confused?

He even comes looking like an angel of light, a priest, your best friend, your girl friend, your advisor.

By this logic, anyone could be the antichrist. The pope, jesus, the Queen, George Washington, Obama...