PDA

View Full Version : How I became a dolfan

B.Sebo
03-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Though I know that none of you care I became a dolfan on Thanksgiving when I was little, I was undecided on what team I should go for, the Cowboys or the Phins. My entire family has always been boys fans, but my cousin was a Phins fan, but i decided to go with the Cowboys:cry: :( :cry: . Well when Leon Lett"it go" gave us the game I decided to be a Dolfan:D :D :D , and I have been since!!!!!!!!!

Let me know your stories about becoming a Dolfan (or Bills, Steelers, or whoever your team is, I will not be discriminitory<like Nolan Richardson:fire: :( :yell: :fire: >), I would like to here them, and I am sure others would to.

iceblizzard69
03-23-2002, 09:36 AM
Arkansas is dumb for letting Richardson go, he was one of the great college coaches and never got respect.

My story isn't quite as long as yours, I knew someone who knew someone who knew Dan when I was 7 and thats how I became a fan. I actually once got to meet Dan and he was so nice that he gave me a helmet he wore in a game and he signed it. He is a really nice guy.

dolphan39
03-23-2002, 10:32 AM
I really do not remember and it happened before paper was invented, but I guess when I was 9 years old in 1971 and becoming a big sports fan I started liking the better teams in sports and chose the Long Island/NY Nets, the Oakland A's and the Miami Dolphins. That's as much as I remember, though I would love to over dramatize and say that it was watching the double-overtime win ag. KC in the '71 playoffs

dolfan06
03-23-2002, 12:07 PM
Let me know your stories about becoming a Dolfan (or Bills, Steelers, or whoever your team is, I will not be discriminitory<like Nolan Richardson > ), I would like to here them, and I am sure others would to.
i became a dolfan back in 1966. i live in southern california and followed the chargers, actually john hadl! when the chargers traded him to the rams and the rams sent him to green bay, i was looking for a new team, because southern california teams sucked, i got hooked on the fins. you can imagine how excited i got 6 years later! UNDEAFEATED my friend! and nobody, i mean nobody can boast that record!:D :D :D :D :D :D

scotgif
03-24-2002, 01:20 AM
I became a dolfan in 1967, I think it was.
I won a contest from the Velda Farms Huddle Club.
I got to sit on the bench, got my picture taken with Jerry something or other(backup lb from So. Miss).
I also got to go up to the radio booth and be on the air with Henry Barrow.
Can you imagine the thrill for an 11 year old kid?
Needless to say, that made me a fan for life.

Frank-n-Furter
03-24-2002, 01:31 AM
I was born on July 2nd, the start of "full training camp" in 1972. My folks are from Miami, as is my Grandmother. So, of course, I'm a DIEHARD Hurricane as well as a Freakazoid Dolphins fan. I was brought up in Orange and Teal (aqua, 06:cool: ) jammies, and my first football uniform at 6 was of course, a Dolphins uniform. It was kinda cool, apparently my Grandma told may dad a ways back that one of her favorite pics was of her and me when I was 5, us holding a" Dolphins '72, 17-0" crochet that she made. It was the first picture that caught my eye on the wall at her memorial service. My grandma said I was Dolphin bound cause of when I was born, so I'm goin with it, cause I've never met cooler people, had a better time, and enjoyed life as much as when I was with Phins fans!:cool:

dolfan06
03-24-2002, 01:42 AM
of how someone became a finfan. i think my son became one or he would have to find another place to live. now we go to games together, we even went to superbowl 17, which they lost. good grief, if they had had marino instead of that worthless woodley, they would have won!:(

Dolfan984
03-24-2002, 02:51 AM
Was a 49ers/Dolphins fan, then watched more Dolphins games with my dad until he moved to Georgia. Ditched the 49ers. Became a HARDCORE fan in 1999 but been a fan all my life.

fin fan 808
03-24-2002, 04:06 AM
I became a dolfan in Dan Marino's first Superbowl in '85. Right in front of my dad's 49er eyes, and Pops was "Pissed", when i sayed "YEAH" as the Dolphins scored, i thought he would slap the Yeah! out of my mouth. So to make a long story short the ride home was very quiet considering his team won because he knew i was a DOLFAN 4-LIFE!!

iceblizzard69
03-24-2002, 11:20 AM
When I was like 8, I used to like some other teams a little bit but not as much as I liked the Dolphins. When I turned 11, I just started to only like one football team. Now basketball is the only sport where there are more than one team that I like a small bit. I am a hardcore Dolphins and Mariners fan.

dolfan06
03-24-2002, 11:24 AM
i'm not the only one in southern calif. i've been to several charger games and there is more aqua and orange in the stands than the blue and gold!

Scrap
03-24-2002, 11:47 AM
When I was about 5, my brother got me liking Fins, and then the most horrific thing happened.....he switched to the Raiders.I always have felt like I was smarter than he is. :D

dolfan06
03-24-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by va dolfan
When I was about 5, my brother got me liking Fins, and then the most horrific thing happened.....he switched to the Raiders.I always have felt like I was smarter than he is. :D some of those fans wear the skulls and stuff, their intelligence has definately been in question!:D

Marino1983
03-24-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by dolfan06

i became a dolfan back in 1966. i live in southern california and followed the chargers, actually john hadl! when the chargers traded him to the rams and the rams sent him to green bay, i was looking for a new team, because southern california teams sucked, i got hooked on the fins. you can imagine how excited i got 6 years later! UNDEAFEATED my friend! and nobody, i mean nobody can boast that record!:D :D :D :D :D :D I have been a fan since they were franchised too, a little bit young but non the less a fan, where I went to school you were a steelers fan or a Steelers fan :). But I can remember when the Phins drafted Griese,, and wanted Spurrier,, that was one of many lessons learned about football. Csonka was one of my heros as a kid, nothing flashy or athletic about him, Larry was like a D-8 Cat Dozer,, get in his way and you would feel the rath of his power.. In 93 my wife and her family were at the Eagles game when D- Shula broke G- Halas's record,, I sent the ticket stub to him to be autographed and low and behold I got it back signed... I was offered $200.00 for the stub and laughed at the guy,, that stub will be buried with me :D :D Marino1983

dolfan87
03-24-2002, 04:30 PM
Monday Night Football, undefeated Bears come to the O.B. to play our Dolphins. I HATED the Bears. Miami cranked em, I was hooked.

dolfan06
03-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by dolfan87
Monday Night Football, undefeated Bears come to the O.B. to play our Dolphins. I HATED the Bears. Miami cranked em, I was hooked. that has to be about the sweetest game i eversaw, everything, including thet tipped pass that clayton caught for a TD! :D :D :D

phinsphan4ever
03-25-2002, 04:47 AM
that has to be about the sweetest game i eversaw, everything, including thet tipped pass that clayton caught for a TD! :D :D :D

us generation x'ers didn't have the PRIVELAGE of being able to see the glory years, ala '72,'73, etc. I'm only 23 and have yet to see the 'phins advance past the AFC championship in '92, which seems like ages ago. :cry:

dolfan06
03-25-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by aqua&orange54

us generation x'ers didn't have the PRIVELAGE of being able to see the glory years, ala '72,'73, etc. I'm only 23 and have yet to see the 'phins advance past the AFC championship in '92, which seems like ages ago. :cry: all the crap you guys are getting is because of guys my age. after the jets won the superbowl in 69, when the dolphins had their perfect season in 72 and won back to back superbowls, we really laid in on thick!
no wonder the jets fans are pissed, ONE superbowl championship, 33 years ago, what a waste!:p

Marino1983
03-25-2002, 06:09 PM
that has to be about the sweetest game i eversaw, everything, including thet tipped pass that clayton caught for a TD! :D :D :D I made a considerable amount of $$$ on that game!!! The Phins were 12 & 4 that year and lost to the Patsies in the AFC Championship game,, but it didn't matter, Grogan and company never showed up at the S-B.. Gee I wonder what Miami could have done different against da Bears,, considering the Dolphins were the ONLY team to beat Chicago that year ? Marino1983;) :confused:

dolphan39
03-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Marino1983
I made a considerable amount of $$$ on that game!!! The Phins were 12 & 4 that year and lost to the Patsies in the AFC Championship game,, but it didn't matter, Grogan and company never showed up at the S-B.. Gee I wonder what Miami could have done different against da Bears,, considering the Dolphins were the ONLY team to beat Chicago that year ? Marino1983;) :confused: worst memory ever as a dolphan - the 1985 AFC Championship - which I call the fumble bowl since we fumbled something like 6x s

Dan and Co. would have beat the Bears again :eek: :cry: :fire:

:monkey: Tony Collins

:monkey: Steve Grogran

:monkey: Raymond Berry

Marino1983
03-25-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by aqua&orange54

us generation x'ers didn't have the PRIVELAGE of being able to see the glory years, ala '72,'73, etc. I'm only 23 and have yet to see the 'phins advance past the AFC championship in '92, which seems like ages ago. :cry: Believe me, it is really not fair to the Dolphin fans that have waited to get back to the S-B since the loss to the 49ers in 1985 S-B! When I was a kid I remember watching the Phins against Dallas and thinking, man next year we will be here again (and they did go the next 3 years) but when the Dolphins lost that playoff game to the Raiders in 1974 --- it was like this can't be happening,, we are supposed to win,, the Raiders don't deserve to go to the Championship game !!! That was a very tough loss that I still have not gotten over .... Marino1983 :( :o

dolfan06
03-26-2002, 12:17 PM
is that 8 yd pass, the "immaculate reception," from stabler to clarence davis, with 26 seconds remaining, in the AFC semi final!:cry: that pass killed our chance to have 4 super bowl appearances in a row!:fire:

Marino1983
03-26-2002, 04:45 PM
is that 8 yd pass, the "immaculate reception," from stabler to clarence davis, with 26 seconds remaining, in the AFC semi final!:cry: that pass killed our chance to have 4 super bowl appearances in a row!:fire: You got it man, if I am not mistaken - the game was played the week of Christmas,,, completely ruined mine ! It was a real depressing Holiday, my parents (who were never into sports) could not understand how I could get so upset over a football game. I even started to hate the raiders but, well met a girl that loved Stabler and VanEgan and I had to lie just a bit, but boy that lie was well worth it :p :D :) Marino1983:p

dolfan06
03-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Marino1983
You got it man, if I am not mistaken - the game was played the week of Christmas,,, completely ruined mine ! It was a real depressing Holiday, my parents (who were never into sports) could not understand how I could get so upset over a football game. I even started to hate the raiders but, well met a girl that loved Stabler and VanEgan and I had to lie just a bit, but boy that lie was well worth it :p :D :) Marino1983:p dec 21 1974, and it was a lousy christmas!:p