PDA

View Full Version : The Patriots Offensive Line

Finlawyer
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
They give Brady so much time it's insane. Our line is barely a turnstile. We need to get Mankins.

dr.jake
01-16-2011, 06:41 PM
great player but too expensive imo. we do need to draft some better interior lineman. i'm thinking rt and a g/c combo to this year.

joenhre
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
They haven't looked too impressive the last two seasons in the playoffs. The Ravens smacked them around like rag dolls last year. So far today the Jets have done a good job against them. Yes the Ravens and Jets have good defenses, but still makes you think the Patriots O-line and overall team may be slightly overrated. I'd still take Mankins but at the right price.

quasi
01-16-2011, 07:41 PM
What are you talking about? They've given up 4 sacks and the Jets have pressured Brady the majority of the time.

jlfin
01-16-2011, 07:42 PM
They are a well coached blue collar group. Not overly talented IMO, but solid. BB gets the most out of his players at all positions.

Fudge 101
01-16-2011, 08:08 PM
They haven't looked too impressive the last two seasons in the playoffs. The Ravens smacked them around like rag dolls last year. So far today the Jets have done a good job against them. Yes the Ravens and Jets have good defenses, but still makes you think the Patriots O-line and overall team may be slightly overrated. I'd still take Mankins but at the right price.

Anybody would take Mankins at the "right price". That is why its the RIGHT price.

TKAllDay
01-16-2011, 08:13 PM
5 sacks and counting

Finlawyer
01-16-2011, 08:15 PM
5 sacks and counting

Revis island leads to sacks.

Vertical Limit
01-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Game over. Patriots drained too much time off the clock for nothing. Really pathetic game plan and their defense sucked today. Oh yeah, Branch is trash and so is Welker.

Pinkboy
01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Their center and RG have sucked royally today.

What the hell are you watching ?

joenhre
01-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Anybody would take Mankins at the "right price". That is why its the RIGHT price.

I know but what would your "right price" be for an above average starting guard. He's good but not great. So how much of the Phins salary cap (if there is one next season) would you tie up with Mankins? How much will Ireland be willing to tie up and how much will Mankins be asking for. Guess we will have to wait to find out.

Pinkboy
01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I know but what would your "right price" be for an above average starting guard. He's good but not great. So how much of the Phins salary cap (if there is one next season) would you tie up with Mankins? How much will Ireland be willing to tie up and how much will Mankins be asking for. Guess we will have to wait to find out.

Sorry bud. But Mankins is the definition of great. He's absolutely awesome in every sense of the word.

He's the best guard in the league (has been for the last few years) and he has no weaknesses as he's elite in both the running and passing game, along with being a fantastic puller. He's been hiding their center's weaknesses and their LT Matt Light's weaknesses since he returned.

Put Mankins next to Jake and it has the potential of being the best left side in NFL history.

Fudge 101
01-16-2011, 08:38 PM

The way our guard play has been. Give him whatever it takes to get him here. Our OL interior was abysmal and the reason we could not run the ball last year. Mankins changes that for the better.

joenhre
01-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Sorry bud. But Mankins is the definition of great. He's absolutely awesome in every sense of the word.

He's the best guard in the league (has been for the last few years) and he has no weaknesses as he's elite in both the running and passing game, along with being a fantastic puller. He's been hiding their center's weaknesses and their LT Matt Light's weaknesses since he returned.

Put Mankins next to Jake and it has the potential of being the best left side in NFL history.

Well you are more impressed with him than I am. I think he's good but I wouldn't call him great, I don't think his run blocking is as good as you believe it to be.

Still he's far superior to any guard the Dolphins have on their roster right now. So if you were Ireland you would outbid every other team for his services? Do you think this front office will go out and do that? I mean they did it for Dansby , they made the big deal and payed Marshall. Will they do it again this year with Mankins?

I doubt that they will pay that much for a guard, even if he is the best in the league. Just not seeing it happening.

twg76
01-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Jets won the game today. Looks like they will be in the AFC Championship back-to-back.

What the playoffs should teach us is that your record doesn't necessarily define your success in the playoffs. HOWEVER, you have to deserve to be there. Seattle was 7 - 9, I think, this season and some how got in. They upset the Saints and then looked like chumps against the Bears.

You have to play good football in the regular season. And that means beating other good teams that will likely make the playoffs.

The Dolphins just need to start making the playoffs every season with a good looking team. It's that simple. Get in because you deserve to be there. Then you never know what might happen.

sharp
01-16-2011, 08:53 PM
they are all white, I like to call them the lumberjacks. Hell Bryan Hoyer would look like Brady behind that O-line like we wittnessed. The pressure on brady was due to elite coverage because those WRs suck.

joenhre
01-16-2011, 08:55 PM
The way our guard play has been. Give him whatever it takes to get him here. Our OL interior was abysmal and the reason we could not run the ball last year. Mankins changes that for the better.

He is the best Guard available and the Dolphins are desperate for starters at both Guard spots. Still I would like to see them upgrade at Center too. Will Long/Mankins make up for he weakness of either Berger/Incognito at center. I would love to see this team have a dominant Offensive line. The Defensive front 7 is already pretty good but I'd also like to see them upgrade at ILB.

Being able to dominate the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense is the first step to becoming an elite team. Yeah I know you need at least an average QB, that's another subject for a different thread.

TKAllDay
01-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Revis island leads to sacks.

One guy doesn't make a defense.

Pinkboy
01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Well you are more impressed with him than I am. I think he's good but I wouldn't call him great, I don't think his run blocking is as good as you believe it to be.

First off, Mankins on a play-per-play basis has the best metrics of any guard in the league THIS YEAR in the 2010 season.

In 2008 his +29.9 run blocking grade was significantly higher than any other guard, and in 2009 he was right up there as the best as well. In 2009 he was rated metrics-wise as the #1 guard in the league overall, and it was by a wide margin.

As a run-blocker, Mankins finished sixth in positive blocks made in the run game (80 total in 510 attempts.). Alan Faneca (91 positive blocks on 729 attempts) and Carl Nicks (91 positive blocks on 582 attempts) had more, but Mankins’ ratio was best.

His pass protection is also excellent. As is his pulling ability which is at an elite level. He excels with the short screen plays the Patriots are known to use, and ranked as the best (+5.0) screen-blocking guard in the league.

You need to pay closer attention because the guy is not only great but dominant.

joenhre
01-16-2011, 09:22 PM
You need to pay closer attention because the guy is not only great but dominant.

Ok the stats back up what you said, so I admit, Mankins is better than I had thought. I knew is was a great in pass protection just didn't know he was as dominant a run blocker.

Do you believe the Dolphins will go all out to bring him to Miami? Lets say if there is new CBA agreement with a higher salary cap. Will the Dolphins go out and sign a proven dominant Guard like Mankins or will they solely go the draft route again? Just looking for opinions on what people believe the Dolphins will do.