PDA

View Full Version : Salguero -- Jets Still Have A Bright Future With Sanchez

riley513
01-24-2011, 09:45 PM
In my opinion
Never thought Salguero would ever say anything positive about Sanchez.
-------------------

Jets still have a bright future with Sanchez

BY ARMANDO SALGUERO

ASALGUERO@MIAMIHERALD.COM

PITTSBURGH -- PITTSBURGH It started out ugly for the Jets, with quarterback Mark Sanchez picking his nose on national TV and using a teammate as a Kleenex.
Who does that?
The scene proved Sanchez is still young and immature at times. It showed that a guy who was once caught eating a hot dog on the sideline probably forgot the lesson he learned about TV cameras being everywhere.
But if you’re a Dolphins fan, that moment before the AFC Championship Game got interesting in the second half was the last time you mocked Sanchez on Sunday.
Hate on New York coach Rex Ryan all you want because his big-time gasbag predictions ultimately fell short again in 2011. Take solace that the Jets are again unable to get to the Super Bowl and now face the loss of key veterans.
Celebrate that 24-19 Pittsburgh victory, if you must South Florida. Live vicariously through a team that stole a home game from your Dolphins earlier this year.
But if you are a Miami fan, and you’re feeling good or satisfied with this title game result, you are missing the point.
TAYLOR IMPRESSED
This game, these playoffs, should bother you regardless of this result because, right there, clear as day, Sanchez delivered bad news for the Dolphins.
“Seeing the young quarterback grow and mature the way he has to where he’s able to the take over games and win for you, I’ve seen a lot,” former Dolphin Jason Taylor said following the game.
The 24-year-old quarterback’s play strongly suggest the Jets have a quarterback of the future. And as a Dolphins fan, you better get used to the idea that we don’t.
Not yet.
Sanchez is for real, folks. He’s coming.
Those people comparing Chad Henne and Sanchez and telling you they’re the same guy because their statistics look similar and both are young and flawed miss the truth.
Sanchez improved this year over last year. Henne did not.
Sanchez played well in the playoffs, finishing with five touchdowns and one interception against the best competition the AFC could muster.
We have no idea what Henne would do on that kind of stage. None. All we know is he wasn’t good enough to get his team here. All we know is he wasn’t good enough to keep from being benched twice in 2010.
All we know is we’re still looking for a quarterback.
The Jets? All they have to do is look at what Sanchez did against Pittsburgh and feel good about him. He completed 20 of 33 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns. He did not throw an interception.
The caretaker quarterback the Jets had under center at the beginning of the year didn’t look like one at season’s end. He looked like a guy threatening to rally his team from a 24-0 deficit.
THE BAD NEWS
That’s good news for the Jets. Here’s some bad news for the New Yorkers: “You don’t know what’s going to happen but I do know one thing,” Taylor said, emotion in every word. “This team, as you see it tonight, will never be together again.”
This might have been the last game for Taylor, the former Dolphins great who signed with New York last offseason. Taylor was certainly acting and talking as if this could be the end.
“There are so many emotions going through me right now, when you get to this point losing,” Taylor said. “We’ll cross that bridge. We’ll see if Rex and [general manager] Mike [Tannenbaum] even want me back. We’ll see.”
Nothing is truly certain for Taylor now. Maybe that was all pain from the game welling in his eyes and forcing him to take deep breaths as he spoke.
But this much is certain: Taylor will discuss his future with his family. He will contemplate whether the pounding is worthwhile when measured against an easy life away from the game.
The Jets minus Taylor would be lessened. They may find his handful of sacks and all his tackles in some other player, some other body. But they won’t easily replace his leadership and experience nurtured during his 14 seasons in anyone else.
That, at least, is one thing not even a swiftly improving Mark Sanchez will be able to provide the Jets in 2011.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/01/23/2030657/jets-still-have-a-bright-future.html#ixzz1C0XWnsZL

SecondhandJet
01-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I didn't need yesterday's game to validate Sanchez. His boxscore might be ugly at time and his press conferences doofy but he's a gamer. He gets better when the pressure mounts. He takes hits and he gets right up. He's a long way from being elite, but he's on his way. I guess Obama will have to wait one more year to meet him. :o)

Valandui
01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
I'm glad they traded their whole draft to get Dirty. If they had stayed put and drafted Josh Freeman on top of keeping all of their picks/players we would have been screwed.

archer101
01-24-2011, 10:17 PM
I am still unconvinced about Sanchez. Like Henne he is fundamentally inaccurate and misses countless throws he should be able to make. He also has a great supporting cast which really help him out when he is playing poorly. However, he is a gamer and unlike Henne doesn't get rattled and is always looking to make a play.

I suspect his upside is limited. I wonder if he will actually be the 'nightmare' QB - not good enough to ever win you the Superbowl, but good enough to hold his place. The Jets are going to be shedding players soon and he will not have such great talent to back him up - will be interesting to see how he performs. My guess is that he will be a top 10-15 QB but not better than that.

circumstances
01-24-2011, 10:36 PM
i think the jury is still out. and i think armando is a tool for writing this article at this time (as well as other things).

SecondhandJet
01-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm glad they traded their whole draft to get Dirty. If they had stayed put and drafted Josh Freeman on top of keeping all of their picks/players we would have been screwed.

LMAO our whole draft? To acquire Sanchez, the Jets traded their first and second-round choices (17 and 52), plus three marginal players - defensive end Kenyon Coleman, quarterback Brett Ratliff and safety Abram Elam.

SecondhandJet
01-24-2011, 10:39 PM
I am still unconvinced about Sanchez. Like Henne he is fundamentally inaccurate and misses countless throws he should be able to make. He also has a great supporting cast which really help him out when he is playing poorly. However, he is a gamer and unlike Henne doesn't get rattled and is always looking to make a play.

I suspect his upside is limited. I wonder if he will actually be the 'nightmare' QB - not good enough to ever win you the Superbowl, but good enough to hold his place. The Jets are going to be shedding players soon and he will not have such great talent to back him up - will be interesting to see how he performs. My guess is that he will be a top 10-15 QB but not better than that.

Denial is a river in Egypt Dolphin fans LOL.

Jetsfan89
01-24-2011, 10:42 PM

Traded our whole draft? We traded a bunch of "Mangini Guys" to the Browns. Those guys consisted of names like Kenyon Coleman, Abram Elam, and Brett Ratliff (great players right?) and gave up a second along with our first to get the Browns first and our Franchise QB. And in that same draft we drafted Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson who started for us at LG this year. Thats not a bad draft at all.

Valandui
01-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Traded our whole draft? We traded a bunch of "Mangini Guys" to the Browns and gave up a second along with our first to get the Browns first and our Franchise QB. And in that same draft we drafted Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson who started for us at LG this year. Thats not a bad draft at all.

Fair enough, but if it were me I would have rather had Freeman and those picks/ players. My dislike of Sanchez isn't just that he is a Jet, but that I don't think he is a good QB. Josh Freeman in your offense would have been scary good.

SecondhandJet
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Fair enough, but if it were me I would have rather had Freeman and those picks/ players. My dislike of Sanchez isn't just that he is a Jet, but that I don't think he is a good QB. Josh Freeman in your offense would have been scary good.

Hindsight is 20/20. Freeman FAR exceeded expectations.

rev kev
01-24-2011, 10:52 PM
I didn't need yesterday's game to validate Sanchez. His boxscore might be ugly at time and his press conferences doofy but he's a gamer. He gets better when the pressure mounts. He takes hits and he gets right up. He's a long way from being elite, but he's on his way. I guess Obama will have to wait one more year to meet him. :o)

According to Rex a future HOF he said it on a taped interview right before the game kicked off - wow now I know why Rex threw his head set and hat on the ground so hard

rev kev
01-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Denial is a river in Egypt Dolphin fans LOL.

Good one

Valandui
01-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Hindsight is 20/20. Freeman FAR exceeded expectations.

True, although I did still like him ahead of Sanchez. My favorite of the three was Stafford, although I'm a Georgia fan so I may be biased.

MadDog 88
01-25-2011, 01:16 AM
The good about Sanchez is that he can keep a big play alive and improvise. He is able to make a big play something Henne can't do. The bad is that his ball placement is just as bad as Henne's. As often as he hit's a WR in stride, he either throws one way out of his reach or in a spot that slows his momentum the same as Henne. He'll be a good QB for the Jets for years. He will never be elite.

Dimitri_0515
01-25-2011, 03:03 AM

They traded their 2nd rounder for Sanchez. They traded all scrubs after that. Nice to know Dolphin fans like to make things up to make themselves feel good.

ohall
01-25-2011, 04:32 AM
lol the media loves this guy. I know why they do, but it's sad.

Valandui
01-25-2011, 04:55 AM
They traded their 2nd rounder for Sanchez. They traded all scrubs after that. Nice to know Dolphin fans like to make things up to make themselves feel good.
I'm sorry, but if you have three picks left after your trades, you basically traded you whole draft for two players (Sanchez and Greene). I forgot about the trade up to get Greene, so I apologize for that.

JCane
01-25-2011, 05:13 AM

Had the Jets drafted Freeman, there would be 40 threads a day on FinHeaven about how overhyped Josh Freeman is and how he's never going to win the Jets anything. We'd also read thread after thread about how great Mark Sanchez is and how the Bucs got themselves a great one.

Dimitri_0515
01-25-2011, 05:43 AM
I'm sorry, but if you have three picks left after your trades, you basically traded you whole draft for two players (Sanchez and Greene). I forgot about the trade up to get Greene, so I apologize for that.

You're talking about a totally different topic now. You're smart.

Valandui
01-25-2011, 06:45 AM
You're talking about a totally different topic now. You're smart.
I'm correcting myself and admitting a mistake on my part. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't think Sanchez is good, I didn't during the draft, and that I was happy when the Jets traded up for him.

Valandui
01-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Had the Jets drafted Freeman, there would be 40 threads a day on FinHeaven about how overhyped Josh Freeman is and how he's never going to win the Jets anything. We'd also read thread after thread about how great Mark Sanchez is and how the Bucs got themselves a great one.
You're probably right. Honestly, any QB drafted in the first round by a New York team is immediately the second coming according to the media, so overhyped would be a given. However, if they did take Freeman, it would have been somewhat justified. For Dirty to have that much talent around him with a ridiculous OL and still just look OK most of the time shows that he isn't as amazing as everyone seems to think.

ohall
01-25-2011, 08:44 AM

You don't know that. I know I wouldn't have, Freeman has a future. And trust me I hate the Bucs as much if not more than the Yets.

nyjunc
01-25-2011, 09:03 AM

We stole Sanchez, giving up virtually nothing for him. We didn't give up a whole draft, we essentially traded a 2nd rd pick for Mark Sanchez. It was a heist and he continues t prove we made the right decision. Sanchez has been getting better each year and he should be ready to take that next step into the upper ecehlon next year.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 AM ----------

You are 100% correct.

SpurzN703
01-25-2011, 11:48 AM
We stole Sanchez, giving up virtually nothing for him. We didn't give up a whole draft, we essentially traded a 2nd rd pick for Mark Sanchez. It was a heist and he continues t prove we made the right decision. Sanchez has been getting better each year and he should be ready to take that next step into the upper ecehlon next year.

His second year was better than his first. Yes. Does it mean next year will be better than this year? It's possible. No guarantees for anyone

Dimitri_0515
01-25-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm correcting myself and admitting a mistake on my part. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't think Sanchez is good, I didn't during the draft, and that I was happy when the Jets traded up for him.

That's fine. You can think whatever you want it doesnt mean it's true. You can even thin Henne is better than Sanchez for all I care. Jealousy is a terrible thing

nyjunc
01-25-2011, 02:02 PM
His second year was better than his first. Yes. Does it mean next year will be better than this year? It's possible. No guarantees for anyone

If I was a betting man I'd bet he'll be much better next year and if not the man is a winner and finds ways to lead us to wins so I'll take his '10 performance going forward w/ his play in clutch spots.

Valandui
01-25-2011, 04:30 PM
That's fine. You can think whatever you want it doesnt mean it's true. You can even thin Henne is better than Sanchez for all I care. Jealousy is a terrible thing
I'm not jealous of you guys having Dirty by any means. I'd rather have Ryan Fitzpatrick than him. To be honest, when I saw you guys moving up I was worried that it was going to be for Freeman. Will Sanchez always suck, maybe not. Does he have the upside of Stafford or Freeman, definitely not.

Jetsfan0099
01-27-2011, 11:28 AM

I have a hard time believing that considering no QB has had great numbers in our system with Brian Schottenheimer as OC... Freeman has not played in a bad weather game yet in his career, hes been in warm weather and in domes... Sanchez QB rating in warm weather this season was over 100... Its harder to throw in cold windy weather, Sanchez has played in a lot of rainy and snow games last year...

So far Sanchez has been great in the playoffs, Freeman has yet to play with pressure as Tampa isn't a good sports town and there is no pressure there unlike NY...

Joe Flacco-98/184 53.3% 1050 yards 4 TD 7 INTs 61.6 QB rating 5.71 YPA

Matt Ryan-46/69 66.7% 385 yards 3 TD 4 INTs 71.2 QB rating 5.58 YPA

Mark Sanchez-95/157 60.5% 1155 yards 9 TD 3 INTs 94.3 QB rating 7.36 YPA

Jetsfan0099
01-27-2011, 11:30 AM

Agreed, an example would be when Brandon Marshall was being rumored to being traded to the Jets people here were saying they wanted him to be traded here how hes not that good and a cancer, then once he was traded to the Dolphins those same people went on how hes the greatest and was going to destroy Revis..

nyjunc
01-27-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm not jealous of you guys having Dirty by any means. I'd rather have Ryan Fitzpatrick than him. To be honest, when I saw you guys moving up I was worried that it was going to be for Freeman. Will Sanchez always suck, maybe not. Does he have the upside of Stafford or Freeman, definitely not.

I'm sure you can get a job in the Miami front office, you evaluate talent as well as they do:lol:

Agreed, an example would be when Brandon Marshall was being rumored to being traded to the Jets people here were saying they wanted him to be traded here how hes not that good and a cancer, then once he was traded to the Dolphins those same people went on how hes the greatest and was going to destroy Revis..

The best example was Calvin pace. Remmeber when there was an article stating Pace had signed w/ Miami and the board was talking about him like he was Lawrence Taylor then he signs w/ us and he sucks.:lol: