PDA

View Full Version : My Journey

Arsenal WV
02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm starting back in the gym tonight. Getting ready to head out now

I'll be updating this weekly to let yall know about my weight loss and what've i've been eating, and what I do in the gym to help me out. By June, I expect to be back in the 200's.

Starting weight as of Feb 7th- 349

edit: I started at 349, not 344. Sorry

CedarPhin
02-07-2011, 08:16 PM
Best of luck man. I was 220 or so, now I'm down to 155.

Good luck.

Arsenal WV
02-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Just got back from my first day back in the gym. I think it went pretty well.

I started off by lifting some weights. Worked on my chest area by bench pressing.

Then got on the eliptical for 5 minutes just to warm up.

Then moved to the tredmill, I walked for 3/4 mile on 3 speed (a mile in 20 min). Then the last 1/4 I ran it out. Not too bad at all.

Then went and sat in the sauna for 15 min.

SpurzN703
02-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Good luck WV. Stick with it and in a few months it'll pay off. It sucks all the way up until then but it'll be worth it.

I went from 240 to 178 (and holding steady) over about 8-9 months. The biggest thing you need to do is not quit. Keep it going. It's a sloooow process but as I said before, it's well worth it.

X-Pacolypse
02-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Good luck bro! I've lost 30 lbs since starting my workout regimen, it can be a grind but the results are well worth it.

Ricky4Life
02-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Good luck man. I just started back up a few weeks ago, make sure you keep us updated.

shula_guy
02-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I'm starting back in the gym tonight. Getting ready to head out now

I'll be updating this weekly to let yall know about my weight loss and what've i've been eating, and what I do in the gym to help me out. By June, I expect to be back in the 200's.

Starting weight as of Feb 7th- 349

edit: I started at 349, not 344. Sorry

Best of luck to you in reaching your goal.

shula_guy
02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Best of luck man. I was 220 or so, now I'm down to 155.

Good luck.

I use to be 220 then I went ahead and got the penis reduction. Trimming that anaconda down shed 30lbs off my weight. I had to do it for health reasons it was giving me back problems. :lol:

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the support.

For you guys that are still losing weight, and or have already met your weight goal. What foods do you sugges I eat during the day, and for dinner? I've been eating just salads and light dressings. Any suggestions?

JCane
02-09-2011, 02:01 AM
Thanks guys! I really do appreciate the support.

For you guys that are still losing weight, and or have already met your weight goal. What foods do you sugges I eat during the day, and for dinner? I've been eating just salads and light dressings. Any suggestions?

If you want to know what I eat on a daily basis...

Morning

1 cup fat free yogurt
Half cup oatmeal. Teaspoon Earth Balance butter. Organic sugar. Organic blueberries.
Two slices of Arnold 10 grain bread

Snacks

Two whole wheat flour tortilla shells smeared with Smart Balance peanut butter, banana slices, sprinkled with granola.
Tuna sandwiches. Spectrum Veganaise on Arnold 10 grain bread.
Apples, bananas, strawberries, various other fruits.
Green beans

Dinner

Three baked pieces sliced chicken breast with lemon pepper
Steamed asparagus
Three cage-free brown organic eggs, add three teaspoons of Texas Pete, pepper, one teaspoon of Earth Balance butter, cup of shredded cheese.

That's pretty much my daily diet as far as food goes. I also take 5 35g protein shakes daily. Four whey protein, one casein before bed. Drinks lots of water as well. For dinner you can switch up the chicken with fish or salmon. Maybe a hamburger as long as it's a lean meat.

It all begins with a healthy diet. Gotta watch what you're putting into your body.

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 02:19 AM
I was reading on one website that I should eat small healthy things every few hours to boost my metabolisim, is that true?

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 02:22 AM
I'm just tired of eating salads every damn night. Even last year when I lost around 50 pounds. I'd eat a salad for dinner every night :feelsbadman:

JCane
02-09-2011, 02:26 AM
I was reading on one website that I should eat small healthy things every few hours to boost my metabolisim, is that true?

Yes, that's why I listed snacks. And if you notice, the only BIG meal I eat is dinner. Everything else is rather small and snack size. Salads are good but you don't HAVE to eat that everyday. You need things your body can use. You need protein and grains. Vegetables and fruits. You can't have a steady diet of McDonald's and alcohol.

Alcohol should be the first thing you cut back on. And I mean a drastic cut back.

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 02:31 AM
I'm done with Alcohol JCane. I won't be drinking until I reach my goal weight.

But yeah, I'm going to the grocery store tomorrow. I'm just not sure what I should buy to eat. Thanks for the pointers.

JCane
02-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Eat what I eat.

Shop at Whole Foods or EarthFare if you have one.

If you buy butter, buy Earth Balance. Tastes just like butter without all of the bad stuff in it. Same with sugar, mayonnaise, etc.

If you're gonna lose weight, you're gonna have to read labels. Buy things that are low in fat, high in protein, low in sugar, high in fiber, etc.

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 02:44 AM
Thanks man. I'm going to buy a **** load of those lean cuisine's. Most of them only have around 350 calories. I burn that in the gym on the tredmills alone. I'll just start eating little stuff every 2 hours. Like carrots,bananas,cucumbers.

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Eat what I eat.

Shop at Whole Foods or EarthFare if you have one.

If you buy butter, buy Earth Balance. Tastes just like butter without all of the bad stuff in it. Same with sugar, mayonnaise, etc.

If you're gonna lose weight, you're gonna have to read labels. Buy things that are low in fat, high in protein, low in sugar, high in fiber, etc.

What's considered low in fat, and sugar in your opinion, under X amount?

JCane
02-09-2011, 02:54 AM
What's considered low in fat, and sugar in your opinion, under X amount?

Look at DV% against the serving size on the labels. The lower the number the better. If you buy cereal, Cap'n Crunch will be real high in sugar. Don't buy anything from the frozen foods section unless it's lean meats, etc. Those frozen dinners that have vegetables and everything are about 48% of your daily value in sodium alone. Stick with fresh foods. That's why I say shop at Whole Foods or EarthFare. They've done the majority of the label reading for you.

Arsenal WV
02-09-2011, 02:56 AM
We don't have one of those up here I don't believe. But I will deffinetly keep my eyes open and read the labels more often.

Thanks for all your help J. You da man!

Arsenal WV
02-14-2011, 10:41 PM
After one week, I'm down to 342. Lost almost 8 pounds in a week!

Ricky4Life
02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
How we doing arsenal?

Arsenal WV
02-20-2011, 10:32 PM
Good man. Lost 8 pounds last week

I weigh myself again tomorrow afternoon.

Ricky4Life
02-22-2011, 11:20 PM
How did the weigh in go?

Ricky_Fan34
02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm a bit late, I guess. But good luck and I hope everything is going well.

Arsenal WV
02-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Sorry guys.

I'm down to 339 now.

WeVie
03-11-2011, 01:56 AM
I hope you are still looking in on this thread cause I think I may be able to help you out a bit.

Here is the first think you should do if you haven't yet. Find out what your Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is. This is how many calories your body burns if you are watching TV all day. Use the the formula below.

66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Mine is 1992 BTW.

So now that you know what, you know what you should be eating to lose, gain, or maintain. Keep in mind that if you are exercising, this number will go up. So say if your BMR is 2000, then if you only eat 1700 a day, then you should lose weight even without exercise, but of course exercise is best.

Try to never drink any calories. Drinks lots of water and try to stay away from soda. If you must have soda, drink diet and still try to keep it at a minimum. Remember, even things you may think are healthy and good for you like orange juice or Gatorade are still full of sugar. They say you should drink at least 64 oz of water a day.

To answer a question you asked, it is best to try to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day as it keeps your metabolism going, or at least that is what the experts say. I try to keep mine between 250 to 300 calories and then my dinner is around 600 or 700

Do you have a smart phone like an iPhone or Droid or any other one that has all the cool apps. If so find an app that keeps track of whatever you eat. I use MyNetDairy on iPhone but it's possible there may be a better one.

Now let us talk about food. I would suggest getting a food scale if you don't have one. Serving sizes are a lot smaller than you think they are sometimes. You don't have to eat salads all the time. That gets boring fast. Eat things like boneless, skinless, chicken breast, turkey breast or ground turkey, tuna fish, or salmon. You could have some brown rice or sweet potatoes with it for some good complex carbs. Then you can pile your plate full of broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans. You can east regular potatoes too but in moderation.

That was for dinner of course. For breakfast, have some oatmeal, eggs(minus all the yolks but one), turkey bacon, non fat yogurt, etc. Just try to keep it healthy.

Below is a great tasting omelet that I eat all the time. It has around 210 calories.

1 whole egg-large
3 egg whites-large as well of course
few mushrooms
2 oz of deli sliced turkey breast
green peppers
onions
tomatoes if you wish but I don't care for them much

Throw in a piece of whole wheat toast and you are still under 300 calories for breakfast.

Now for lunch. A couple of things I eat a lot are are deli turkey breast wraps and ground turkey burgers. Both are yummy.

Wrap

4 oz turkey deli turkey breast for 100 calories
I use the a brand called Flatout light whole grain for only 90 calories each
Slice of provolone cheese for about 80 calories
lettuce for maybe 5 calories
1/2 tablespoon light ranch dressing for 30 calories I think or you could use mustard for a big 0
you can also add onions or tomatoes

Turkey Burger

Whole wheat bun for 140 cal
4 oz ground turkey for 170 cal
provolone cheese for 80 cal again or you can skip this and save a few calories for later
of course you can go with ketchup and or mustard for little to no calories or half serving of light mayo for about 30 cal
again, lettuce, tomatoes, onions for very little calories. 4 bread and butter pickles have about 30 cal.

Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you too much with this but that is pretty much how my meals go. Eating the same stuff all the time stinks so you gotta be creative sometimes. As JCane said, always look at labels and know what you are eating and try to stay away from eating a ton of sodium. Not only is it not good for you, but it will make you retain water weight.

SpurzN703
03-24-2011, 02:40 PM
I hope you are still looking in on this thread cause I think I may be able to help you out a bit.

Here is the first think you should do if you haven't yet. Find out what your Basal metabolic rate (BMR) is. This is how many calories your body burns if you are watching TV all day. Use the the formula below.

66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)

Mine is 1992 BTW.

So now that you know what, you know what you should be eating to lose, gain, or maintain. Keep in mind that if you are exercising, this number will go up. So say if your BMR is 2000, then if you only eat 1700 a day, then you should lose weight even without exercise, but of course exercise is best.

Try to never drink any calories. Drinks lots of water and try to stay away from soda. If you must have soda, drink diet and still try to keep it at a minimum. Remember, even things you may think are healthy and good for you like orange juice or Gatorade are still full of sugar. They say you should drink at least 64 oz of water a day.

To answer a question you asked, it is best to try to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day as it keeps your metabolism going, or at least that is what the experts say. I try to keep mine between 250 to 300 calories and then my dinner is around 600 or 700

Do you have a smart phone like an iPhone or Droid or any other one that has all the cool apps. If so find an app that keeps track of whatever you eat. I use MyNetDairy on iPhone but it's possible there may be a better one.

Now let us talk about food. I would suggest getting a food scale if you don't have one. Serving sizes are a lot smaller than you think they are sometimes. You don't have to eat salads all the time. That gets boring fast. Eat things like boneless, skinless, chicken breast, turkey breast or ground turkey, tuna fish, or salmon. You could have some brown rice or sweet potatoes with it for some good complex carbs. Then you can pile your plate full of broccoli, cauliflower, or green beans. You can east regular potatoes too but in moderation.

That was for dinner of course. For breakfast, have some oatmeal, eggs(minus all the yolks but one), turkey bacon, non fat yogurt, etc. Just try to keep it healthy.

Below is a great tasting omelet that I eat all the time. It has around 210 calories.

1 whole egg-large
3 egg whites-large as well of course
few mushrooms
2 oz of deli sliced turkey breast
green peppers
onions
tomatoes if you wish but I don't care for them much

Throw in a piece of whole wheat toast and you are still under 300 calories for breakfast.

Now for lunch. A couple of things I eat a lot are are deli turkey breast wraps and ground turkey burgers. Both are yummy.

Wrap

4 oz turkey deli turkey breast for 100 calories
I use the a brand called Flatout light whole grain for only 90 calories each
Slice of provolone cheese for about 80 calories
lettuce for maybe 5 calories
1/2 tablespoon light ranch dressing for 30 calories I think or you could use mustard for a big 0
you can also add onions or tomatoes

Turkey Burger

Whole wheat bun for 140 cal
4 oz ground turkey for 170 cal
provolone cheese for 80 cal again or you can skip this and save a few calories for later
of course you can go with ketchup and or mustard for little to no calories or half serving of light mayo for about 30 cal
again, lettuce, tomatoes, onions for very little calories. 4 bread and butter pickles have about 30 cal.

Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you too much with this but that is pretty much how my meals go. Eating the same stuff all the time stinks so you gotta be creative sometimes. As JCane said, always look at labels and know what you are eating and try to stay away from eating a ton of sodium. Not only is it not good for you, but it will make you retain water weight.

Mad props to what you've been able to do Wevie. The only problem is that since we're all different, there's no real correlation between what works you and what would work for anyone else.

Example: For me, all I did to lose 65 lbs was calorie count like a mother****er. After a while, you become really familiar with the sort of foods you should have and which ones you shouldn't. Following a specific or detailed diet from a magazine, celeb show, or even just any of us regular joes doesn't really even need to happen.

You're going to kill Arsenal's spirit by suggesting what he shouldn't eat. Hell you're depressing me even though I think your suggestions are wrong or at least not necessary for all.

WeVie
03-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Mad props to what you've been able to do Wevie. The only problem is that since we're all different, there's no real correlation between what works you and what would work for anyone else.

Example: For me, all I did to lose 65 lbs was calorie count like a mother****er. After a while, you become really familiar with the sort of foods you should have and which ones you shouldn't. Following a specific or detailed diet from a magazine, celeb show, or even just any of us regular joes doesn't really even need to happen.

You're going to kill Arsenal's spirit by suggesting what he shouldn't eat. Hell you're depressing me even though I think your suggestions are wrong or at least not necessary for all.

For you guys that are still losing weight, and or have already met your weight goal. What foods do you suggest I eat during the day, and for dinner? I've been eating just salads and light dressings. Any suggestions?

That is what he asked so I was simply giving him some alternatives to eating salads all the time. That is what is great about what I was trying to say too. You can pretty much eat anything you want to eat as long as you are counting and know what you are eating everyday. the only thing that I suggested him not to do was drink calories but if you want OJ in the morning, drink it. Just be aware that is has a lot of calories even though it is somewhat healthy. One of my rules that I made for myself what to not drink any calories that way I can eat more during the day. It's easy to drink 300-400 calories and not even realize it.

I was only trying to tell him what some of the healthier things are that he could eat. Those examples of the omelet and the wrap I gave are things that I eat and they are good by the way.

If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you do not want to "go on a diet". You want to change the way you eat. You can still eat cake, chips, and ice cream, or whatever else you want. You just can't do it everyday.

Losing weight is pretty easy if you follow the number one rule. Eat less and move more.

Arsenal WV
04-02-2011, 07:43 AM
Back into the 330's now :feelsgoodman:

WeVie
04-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Back into the 330's now :feelsgoodman:

Way to go! Keep at it

Arsenal WV
04-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Okay this is one thing I don't understand.

We got this new kid at work tonight. He probably weighs close to 380 or so. Can't be but a few years older than me. But he was literally mopping and had to sit down after 3 swipes of the broom, breathing hard and everything.

Okay, Like i'm a big guy, I know I am. But to be honest, I'm very athletic for my size. I've played Soccer,Baseball,Basketball,Football like my entire life could be the reason why. But I mean, I can jog a mile and be fine. How can somebody like that, 50 pounds heavier than me do 3 swipes with a mop and be down for the count. I just don't understand that.

WeVie
04-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Okay this is one thing I don't understand.

We got this new kid at work tonight. He probably weighs close to 380 or so. Can't be but a few years older than me. But he was literally mopping and had to sit down after 3 swipes of the broom, breathing hard and everything.

Okay, Like i'm a big guy, I know I am. But to be honest, I'm very athletic for my size. I've played Soccer,Baseball,Basketball,Football like my entire life could be the reason why. But I mean, I can jog a mile and be fine. How can somebody like that, 50 pounds heavier than me do 3 swipes with a mop and be down for the count. I just don't understand that.

Think about it. Say two people are the same size and the same weight. now take 50 pounds and strap it to there back and let them go through the day with that extra weight. That is essentially what he is doing. That would be very tough. If he is not a naturally big guy like it sounds like you are, then he may be lugging around 150-200 extra pounds. That would make anyone tired after merely walking from say one end of the store to the other or whatever.

Now add to the fact that this guy most likely only eats, sleeps, and watches TV or plays video games all day if he is not working and that makes him way out of shape.

One of my best friends is a big guy. He has weighed as much as 330 but at that weight you couldn't call him fat but very chubby. He lost weight down to 280-290 range and a couple of pants sizes and was still big but not really overweight, or at least not by much.

Arsenal WV
04-15-2011, 02:43 PM
down to 332 now :feelsgoodman:

Steveo 90
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
good job man,one thing to remember is that the tortoise won the race......slow and steady every time

WeVie
05-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Are you still at it?

Arsenal WV
05-10-2011, 04:08 PM
As often as I can. I'm still in the high 320's. But it's staying there. I havent been in the gym but have been eating healthy, and that's half the battle. On Thursday i'll be back in the gym again. walking on the treds, bikes etc..

WeVie
05-10-2011, 04:36 PM
As often as I can. I'm still in the high 320's. But it's staying there. I havent been in the gym but have been eating healthy, and that's half the battle. On Thursday i'll be back in the gym again. walking on the treds, bikes etc..

The treadmill and the bike will help for sure. Which gym are you joining?

Arsenal WV
05-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I live the street right above the community center on college. So I usually just yog down there, count it as my warmup.

Here is my question. I work most nights from 10pm-7am. What would be the best time to go workout? Right after I get off at 7am? I'm just tired as piss when I get off. Or whenever I wake up from sleeping (probably 5-6ish), the only problem with that is I don't want to drag balls in work and be tired the whole night.

WeVie
05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I live the street right above the community center on college. So I usually just yog down there, count it as my warmup.

Here is my question. I work most nights from 10pm-7am. What would be the best time to go workout? Right after I get off at 7am? I'm just tired as piss when I get off. Or whenever I wake up from sleeping (probably 5-6ish), the only problem with that is I don't want to drag balls in work and be tired the whole night.

Everything I have read says it best to workout in the morning after waking up. It says that if you workout in the morning, it kicks your body into gear and helps burn more calories throughout the day.

In your case, that would be in the evening after you wake. If I were you, I would do it then. It will not tire you out as much as you think. I always feel great after I workout.

If you are like me, when I worked nightshift all time, I couldn't wait to hit the bed as soon as I got off.

WeVie
05-11-2011, 12:59 AM
I should add though that the best time to workout really is whenever you want to. Whatever works for you. I workout at night, come home, hang out for a bit, and then go to bed. That is what fits my schedule right now so that is what I do. The important thing is that you just do it, whenever it is.

NY8123
05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
I should add though that the best time to workout really is whenever you want to. Whatever works for you. I workout at night, come home, hang out for a bit, and then go to bed. That is what fits my schedule right now so that is what I do. The important thing is that you just do it, whenever it is.

You have hit the nail on the head. They say morning because it burns up more calories throughout the course of the day because you are not resting 4 or 5 hours after you workout however I am not a morning person one bit. I sucked it up, got my *** out of bed earlier then normal and lifted for two straight months in the morning and was MISERABLE. My body seems to sleep the hardest right before day break and being from NY that is usually 5am to 7am. If I miss those hours I am a miserable SOB.

So I went back to working out at lunch or after work most of the time. It is all about what your body needs and 1 workout a day is better then no workouts a day!

So in WV's case I would suck it up and go right after work for a few weeks and see how your body reacts.

WeVie
05-11-2011, 10:21 AM
You have hit the nail on the head. They say morning because it burns up more calories throughout the course of the day because you are not resting 4 or 5 hours after you workout however I am not a morning person one bit. I sucked it up, got my *** out of bed earlier then normal and lifted for two straight months in the morning and was MISERABLE. My body seems to sleep the hardest right before day break and being from NY that is usually 5am to 7am. If I miss those hours I am a miserable SOB.

So I went back to working out at lunch or after work most of the time. It is all about what your body needs and 1 workout a day is better then no workouts a day!

So in WV's case I would suck it up and go right after work for a few weeks and see how your body reacts.

I am the same way as far as sleeping goes. I could go to bed a 8pm and if I have to wake up before 7am, I feel like total trash all day. No matter how many years I do it, I cannot get used to getting up early but if I go to bed at even 2am and wake up between 8am and 9am, I feel great all day even on less sleep. Weird how that seems to work.

Arsenal WV
05-11-2011, 05:48 PM
So basically, I should go right after I get off work at 7am?

Or right after I wake up around 6pm?

WeVie
05-11-2011, 09:43 PM

Yeah that would be best I think but like I said, just do it whenever you feel your best. Hell, you can go workout right before work if you want. If you are not too tired after you get off work, then go then. If you are like me when I am on nightshift, (I hit the bed as soon as I get home), then it would be better to go after you wake.

Just go at different times and see what works best for you.

NY8123
05-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Yeah I would try both and see which one your body seems to like better. Like I said my body hates morning (your 6pm) but you never know you might respond better to a morning workout.

Arsenal WV
06-30-2011, 01:13 AM
322 when I weighed in after a round of golf and a day at the pool.

Getting closer to the 200's...

WeVie
06-30-2011, 02:51 AM
322 when I weighed in after a round of golf and a day at the pool.

Getting closer to the 200's...

Keep at it. You will be there before you know it.