PDA

View Full Version : Michael Lombardi: Jets to let Cromartie walk

riley513
02-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Citing sources, NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that the Jets plan to let free agent CB Antonio Cromartie walk this offseason.
According to Lombardi, the Jets are more focused on re-signing Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. GM Mike Tannenbaum made it clear he wasn't thrilled with Cromartie's postseason remarks about Tom Brady, the NFL, and the NFLPA, and the Jets may be interested in free agent Nnamdi Asomugha. Ironically, Cromartie could appeal to the Raiders with a ridiculous size/speed combination. He also excels in press-man schemes like Oakland's.
2/16/2011 7:28:00 PM

Man, kind of a waste of a second round pick, but I can't argue with the logic.

riley513
02-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Why is this post getting moved?

foozool13
02-16-2011, 11:55 PM
Why is this post getting moved?

Cuz it has everything to do with the JETS and not the Miami Dolphins.

Roman529
02-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Why would we want a guy who has 9 kids by 8 baby mamas. He can't tackle worth crap. Pass.

UHHS
02-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Raiders will pay him, then cut him and still owe him 15-20 million.

callaway1234
02-17-2011, 12:49 AM
This guy really sucks and is a bad character guy, we don't need him in our locker room.

bigvince75
02-17-2011, 09:38 AM
he gave them a year of good play. If his performance causes them to give up a 2nd rounder instead of a 3rd then they should try and re-sign him.

nyjunc
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
I would like him back but out of Cro, Holmes and edwards I thik we will only be able to keep 2 and I want Holems and Edwards back before Cro so I am happy w/ this news if it is true.

Hopefully Kyle Wilson is ready to step up in year 2.

HurriPhin
02-17-2011, 03:12 PM
How can you justify wasting a 2nd round pick on someone who plays one season? Ah, the pitfalls of trying to buy a Super Bowl.

:jetssuck:

nyjunc
02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
How can you justify wasting a 2nd round pick on someone who plays one season? Ah, the pitfalls of trying to buy a Super Bowl.

:jetssuck:

It would suck wasting a 2nd rd pick but at least we got use out of him unlike all those dolphin 2nd rd QB picks/trades, right?

We have built from w/in and added pieces around the homegrown core but nice try.

Tunaphish429
02-17-2011, 03:21 PM
It would suck wasting a 2nd rd pick but at least we got use out of him unlike all those dolphin 2nd rd QB picks/trades, right?

We have built from w/in and added pieces around the homegrown core but nice try.

Come on, Just because the Dolphins have failed before does not mean this is not failure for the Jets. Drafting Wilson was a great backup plan, but who knows how thats gonna work out...Didnt the Jets give up a 2nd rounder for another guy that played one year? Bert was his name?

X-Pacolypse
02-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Cromartie sucks.

HurriPhin
02-17-2011, 03:59 PM

At least we didn't waste a 1st and still end up with a ****ty QB.

nyjunc
02-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Come on, Just because the Dolphins have failed before does not mean this is not failure for the Jets. Drafting Wilson was a great backup plan, but who knows how thats gonna work out...Didnt the Jets give up a 2nd rounder for another guy that played one year? Bert was his name?

I have criticized Cromartie all year, it turned out to be a bad move but this regime has made so many good moves that it is hard to criticize them for one bad move.

I'm not sure who the Bert is you are referring to, I don't recall any Berts.

At least we didn't waste a 1st and still end up with a ****ty QB.

That's good b/c neither did we. we stole one of the best young QBs in the game that already has more playoff wins under his belt than the Dolphins have as a franchise since 1995.

Tunaphish429
02-17-2011, 04:40 PM
I have criticized Cromartie all year, it turned out to be a bad move but this regime has made so many good moves that it is hard to criticize them for one bad move.

I'm not sure who the Bert is you are referring to, I don't recall any Berts.

That's good b/c neither did we. we stole one of the best young QBs in the game that already has more playoff wins under his belt than the Dolphins have as a franchise since 1995.

Yea they can still be critized..Most of us critize the Dolphins for every little move. Sparano ordered the Cavetelli when he should have ordered the Chicken Rigges..I really hope you got the Brett Farve joke.

HurriPhin
02-17-2011, 04:48 PM
we stole one of the best young QBs in the game that already has more playoff wins under his belt than the Dolphins have as a franchise since 1995.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Your playoff wins have nothing to do with Dirty b/c if he was actually any good you might be able to brag about a lot more than just a couple of postseason wins.

nyjunc
02-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Your playoff wins have nothing to do with Dirty b/c if he was actually any good you might be able to brag about a lot more than just a couple of postseason wins.

I can only imagine what you guys would be saying if he was your QB. You don't win 4 road playoff games in 2 years w/o a quality QB.

nyjunc
02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Yea they can still be critized..Most of us critize the Dolphins for every little move. Sparano ordered the Cavetelli when he should have ordered the Chicken Rigges..I really hope you got the Brett Farve joke.

Oops, I didn't get it.

I HATED the Favre trade at the time and after the '08 season BUT if not for that deal we don't have Rex or Sanchez. If we didn't get Brett we are likely the current Dolphins w/ a 2008 div title and nothing the last 2 years so while it was a bad trade it turned out to be great for us in the long run.

Tunaphish429
02-17-2011, 04:57 PM
Oops, I didn't get it.

I HATED the Favre trade at the time and after the '08 season BUT if not for that deal we don't have Rex or Sanchez. If we didn't get Brett we are likely the current Dolphins w/ a 2008 div title and nothing the last 2 years so while it was a bad trade it turned out to be great for us in the long run.

It was not a bad move then, his heart was just not in it. Yea we stole your qb and he led us on a great run. It was fun while it lasted. Its still wasted picks. Mangini would have been fired pretty much no matter what. Who knows maybe he Henne started as rookie we would have tried to move up and get Sanchez..You never know.

HurriPhin
02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
You don't win 4 road playoff games in 2 years w/o a quality QB.

You can with a great defense and a good running game. Just ask this clown:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/02/alg_dilfer-1.jpg

Spesh
02-17-2011, 06:13 PM

"Recent" Trades(off the top of my head)
Brett Favre: 3rd round pick in the 2009 draft(off team)
Kris Jenkins: 3rd and 5th round picks in the 2008 draft
Lito Sheppard: 5th round pick in the 2009 draft(off team)
Braylon Edwards: 3rd and 5th round pick in the 2010 draft+2 players
Antonio Cromartie: 2nd round pick in the 2011 draft.
Santonio Holmes: 5th round pick in the 2010 draft

Free agent starters:
Calvin Pace
Jason Taylor
Bart Scott
Brodney Pool
LT
Damien Woody
Jim Leonhard

Didnt include Trevor Pryce, as it looked like he didnt do much. Saying the Jets were trying to buy a Superbowl isn't far off. I assume that "build from within" was a reference to the "core group" of Jets: Harris, Brick, Mangold, and Keller(and Sanchez if you must). Even then, those players are slightly less then the 6 players traded for(8 total draft picks). None of this takes into account trading up in the draft.

A quick glance at the Jets depth chart showed that: 4/11 defensive starter positions were "homegrown" and 6/11 starter positions on offense were homegrown. More than half the starters on the main sides of the ball were brought in.
To be fair, for Miami it is: 6/11 offensive starters were homegrown and 9/11 starters were homegrown.

Call it what you will, spin it how you like, Jets have spent a hell of alot of trades and money on free agency in recent years, and they certainly didn't do it to not win the Superbowl.

KlausC
02-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Free agent starters:
Calvin Pace
Jason Taylor
Bart Scott
Brodney Pool
LT
Damien Woody
Jim Leonhard

Didnt include Trevor Pryce, as it looked like he didnt do much. Saying the Jets were trying to buy a Superbowl isn't far off. I assume that "build from within" was a reference to the "core group" of Jets: Harris, Brick, Mangold, and Keller(and Sanchez if you must). Even then, those players are slightly less then the 6 players traded for(8 total draft picks). None of this takes into account trading up in the draft.

A quick glance at the Jets depth chart showed that: 4/11 defensive starter positions were "homegrown" and 6/11 starter positions on offense were homegrown. More than half the starters on the main sides of the ball were brought in.
To be fair, for Miami it is: 6/11 offensive starters were homegrown and 9/11 starters were homegrown.

Call it what you will, spin it how you like, Jets have spent a hell of alot of trades and money on free agency in recent years, and they certainly didn't do it to not win the Superbowl.
Regardless, which franchise would you say has had more success in the past 3 years? Which approach appears to be working better?

And here's a list of home grown guys that are/were significant contributors you need to mention:
D'Brick, Slauson, Mangold, Moore
Cotchery, Keller, Smith
Greene, Sanchez

Devito, Pouha, Ellis
Harris, Thomas
Revis, Lowery, Coleman, Smith

Spesh
02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
Regardless, which franchise would you say has had more success in the past 3 years? Which approach appears to be working better?

And here's a list of home grown guys that are/were significant contributors you need to mention:
D'Brick, Slauson, Mangold, Moore
Cotchery, Keller, Smith
Greene, Sanchez

Devito, Pouha, Ellis
Harris, Thomas
Revis, Lowery, Coleman, Smith

Without a doubt the Jets have had more success the last few years. Regardless, when you trade for veteran players or players on the last few years of a contract and you do not achieve your stated goals, its a bit of a bust. What does going to the AFC championship game do for a team that could lose a handful of starting players the following year? What does being one game away from the Superbowl mean when major contributors are declining in skill due to age?
In the end, even Jets fans must admit that after publically declaring your intent for a Superbowl ring and only getting Championship games(and no trophies at that) is more then a bit distasteful.

The only "core group" names i listed are the ones Mike Tannenbaum has recently indicated as the players to build around(though i completely forgot Revis, probably because he got his contract extension before the others). As well, i just listed the number of starters because i have very little way of knowning "which backup is worthy!" and which isnt. Hardly call it unfair as i did the same for the Dolphins.

Don't get me wrong, if the Jets want to keep trading away draft picks im all for it. They want to keep throwing up monster deals every offseason, im completely for that as well. But when your trading away fairly high draft picks every single season you cannot call that "building from within".

KlausC
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Without a doubt the Jets have had more success the last few years. Regardless, when you trade for veteran players or players on the last few years of a contract and you do not achieve your stated goals, its a bit of a bust. What does going to the AFC championship game do for a team that could lose a handful of starting players the following year? What does being one game away from the Superbowl mean when major contributors are declining in skill due to age?
In the end, even Jets fans must admit that after publically declaring your intent for a Superbowl ring and only getting Championship games(and no trophies at that) is more then a bit distasteful.

The only "core group" names i listed are the ones Mike Tannenbaum has recently indicated as the players to build around(though i completely forgot Revis, probably because he got his contract extension before the others). As well, i just listed the number of starters because i have very little way of knowning "which backup is worthy!" and which isnt. Hardly call it unfair as i did the same for the Dolphins.

Don't get me wrong, if the Jets want to keep trading away draft picks im all for it. They want to keep throwing up monster deals every offseason, im completely for that as well. But when your trading away fairly high draft picks every single season you cannot call that "building from within".

You can call it whatever you like. I haven't been thrilled with all the trades, but we've enjoyed 2 great seasons as fans where we were very close to playing the the superbowl. Of course if you don't win the superbowl you didn't meet your goal, but believe me, those were 2 great seasons to witness as fans. Especially when I've never seen them play in a superbowl.

The Jets have a solid young core and will be able to bring back more guys than most people are assuming IMO (I've analyzed it assuming a 140 cap).

Who are all these aging veterans you talk about? We have a few but every team does.

Jetsfan0099
02-18-2011, 12:49 PM
You can with a great defense and a good running game. Just ask this clown:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/02/alg_dilfer-1.jpg

Except Sanchez has put up really good numbers in the playoffs, he has better numbers than any young QB in the game right now in the playoffs... I would rather have someone who can play in big games than a flashy numbers guy who blows in big games...

Mark Sanchez
95/157 60% 1,155 9 TD 3 INT 94.3 QB rating 7.36 YPA 4-2 record

Trent Dilfer
66 QB rating in the playoffs.

Trying to compare the 2 is dumb, Dilfer only completed 5-9 passes a game in the playoffs towards his SB... The Jets defense wasn't good enough to win this year, they were horrible against the Steelers and blew that game with miss tackles and not being able to get them off the field... Jets need a stud pass rusher badly.

nyjunc
02-22-2011, 09:33 AM
It was not a bad move then, his heart was just not in it. Yea we stole your qb and he led us on a great run. It was fun while it lasted. Its still wasted picks. Mangini would have been fired pretty much no matter what. Who knows maybe he Henne started as rookie we would have tried to move up and get Sanchez..You never know.

It was an awful move as far as winning, if we keep Chad we win the division and there's no way Mangini is fired but it worked out b/c favre sucked and cost us our season which led to Mangini being fired, hiring Rex and drafting sanchez.

So basically, we are the exact same thing as Pitt, UConn, and Notre Dame, except we dont have any nationally ranked recruitment classes and we can't schedule any games against big name schools from other conferences?

Soooo, how many Super Bowl's has baltimore won w/o Trent?

Trent is NOT a great QB but he wasn't a bad QB either and he was perfect for that team. Billick thought he was so smart and brought in a "better" QB in Elvis Grbac the next year- how did that work out?

Free agent starters:
Calvin Pace
Jason Taylor
Bart Scott
Brodney Pool
LT
Damien Woody
Jim Leonhard

Jason Taylor wasn't a starter, he started a few games while Pace was out but he was brought in to be a situational pass rusher.

Of our 22 starters on O and D, the following were all original Jets:

Mangold
Brick
Moore
Slauson
Sanchez
Greene
Keller
Cotchery
Ellis
Pouha
Harris
Thomas
Revis

13 of 22 starters not counting Eric Smith who has started a ton of games through the years. That's not a bad # and most of those 13 are young and the core of the future of this team.

utahphinsfan
03-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Raiders will pay him, then cut him and still owe him 15-20 million.

That will take care of some of his paternity suits.