PDA

View Full Version : USA Basketball faces 2012 time crunch

Kdawg954
02-19-2011, 03:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=6138729

LOS ANGELES -- The first hurdle facing the U.S. men's basketball team in defense of its gold medal could be the schedule.
USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo says the earlier start date for the 2012 Olympics could require the Americans to submit a 12-man roster before the NBA season is over.
The rosters will be due on June 18, 2012, forcing Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski to pick their squad without the benefit of having the players together for a training camp.
"Literally what I have to do now is just look at what happens the rest of this season and what happens next season during the year and then we have to submit our roster," Colangelo said Friday.
With the NBA Finals going the full seven games last year, the season didn't end until the early morning of June 18. A seven-game series in 2012 could go as late as June 21.
The London Games open July 27, 2012. Teams still would be able to make changes to the 12-man rosters after the deadline if there is an injury.

I don't think that would be too big of a deal, but just thinking about that potential sqaud here is my 12 going into 2012:

PG: Williams/Paul/Rose
SG: Wade/Kobe/Durant
SF: Melo/Bron
PF: Bosh/Love
C: Howard/Stoudamire

Had to leave off Rondo and Westbrook at the point, but I'm satisfied with the 3 guys there, Williams is a shooter, Paul is tremendous on D, and Rose is the most complete PG in the league. Arguably the most TALENTED PG group we will ever see at the Olympics.

You can't get much more talent at SG, Jordan/Drexler combo was elite in 1992. . . this trio probably tops that one.

Bron/Melo at SF. . . does anything else need to be said?

Bosh/Love . . . I like the type of PF this team will have, they fit the European style of ball real well and Bosh looked good in 2008.

Amare/Howard . . . Stoudamire is going to be fun to watch in these games, might sneak up and be the player of the tournament when they are finished. Howard is the pure big man here, but his defense should dominate.

In the end, this group has the potential to be the greatest team ever assembled when we look back on the history of the Olympic teams. The 1, 2 and 3 spots will never be touched talent wise.

Ferretsquig
02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
I'd go,

PG: Williams
SG: Kobe
SF: Durant
PF: Lebron
C: Chandler

Bench:

Wade
Bosh
CP3
Love

I guess you've gotta invite Howard but I wouldn't play him. 'Melo I wouldn't even invite to camp......he has no business being on the olympic roster.

Invite Westbrook, Rose, Gordon, and Curry and let 'em duke it out. Neither Westbrook or Rose really fit in with the team but at least Westbrook can give you a defensive terror. Still I'd take Curry.

And for the final spot.....LeMarcus Aldridge. Never thought I'd see it, but he grew up this year and is suddenly a monster. I think he'd make a much better international big than Howard or Amare.

Kdawg954
02-19-2011, 05:31 PM
I'd go,

PG: Williams
SG: Kobe
SF: Durant
PF: Lebron
C: Chandler

Bench:

Wade
Bosh
CP3
Love

I guess you've gotta invite Howard but I wouldn't play him. 'Melo I wouldn't even invite to camp......he has no business being on the olympic roster.

Invite Westbrook, Rose, Gordon, and Curry and let 'em duke it out. Neither Westbrook or Rose really fit in with the team but at least Westbrook can give you a defensive terror. Still I'd take Curry.

And for the final spot.....LeMarcus Aldridge. Never thought I'd see it, but he grew up this year and is suddenly a monster. I think he'd make a much better international big than Howard or Amare.

I definitely feel you on Curry, weird they have Durant listed at a guard . . . but Curry brings another big time shooter on a team that needs to be able to shoot the ball and I feel you on the defense with Westbrook, him and Chris Paul would cause nightmares for any ballhandler on the court.

I think Amare is gonna go beast mode at the Olympics, will definitely be his last shot at a medal . . . who is going to guard him? The man is explosive as they come inside and he can hit long jumpers with consistency. I dunno, it is going to be fun.

Aldridge is very interesting but I find it hard for them to leave Melo off . . . they are going to want this team to be GREAT, not only on the court but in name as well . . . 20 year Dream Team anniversary . . . they want stars on this team.

I like your roster though, either way they should be able to dominate with all that talent.

I would also start Williams at the point and Wade made a great 6th man last time, he will do the same this time.

Wish Blake Griffin was eligible . . . that would be fun watching him tower over guys in the Olympics with crazy dunks. Guess we have enough time to watch him do that in the future. Wall to Griffin in the 2016 Olympics . . . mark it down :lol:

Ferretsquig
02-19-2011, 07:09 PM
'Melo didn't play very well the last go around and I don't think coach K wants him back. And Amare has been playing great this year.....I just don't see him being a very good fit. US post players always seem to struggle figuring out international ball. Duncan would never come back after '04 and I don't know if Howard wants to either after struggling in '08.

I think they'll go for balance over star power. Ever since the '04 disaster they've tried to build a team rather than just bring in every star that signed up for it.