PDA

View Full Version : Deron Williams to NJ

Ferretsquig
02-23-2011, 12:21 PM
From Wojo:

Favors will go to Jazz with Harris, two first-round picks. Nets wlll send Troy Murphy to Golden State, and Warriors send Gadzuric to Nets.

'Melo turns 'em down and they go out and get a much better player. Not too shabby.

dreday
02-23-2011, 12:55 PM
doesn't seem like a great deal for the nets because its hard for me to believe that he will resign after 1 year...that said the defection to the east is getting fun to watch...

uga3406
02-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Nets were desperate, they had to make a big move. Williams is good but I would be shocked if he signs a long term contract to stay in Jersey.

jree
02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Come on down to Miami after this season D-Will.

nyjunc
02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Come on down to Miami after this season D-Will.

:lol: yeah, Lebron doesn't have enough around him to win now.:lol2:

Adam First
02-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Why even bother with this move?

Deron's going to make a killing on the free agent market, I doubt he stays anywhere.

Ferretsquig
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
doesn't seem like a great deal for the nets because its hard for me to believe that he will resign after 1 year...

If Favors is the next Stoudamire then they made a bad move. Seeing as they were so willing to shop him I highly doubt that's the case.

They've got a year to convince him and a bunch of cap space to spend on someone to run with him, Lopez and Morrow. Worst case is they fall flat on their faces, Williams makes it clear hes leaving, and they trade him. Its worth the risk.

jree
02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
:lol: yeah, Lebron doesn't have enough around him to win now.:lol2:

Couldn't hurt to get a little more

dreday
02-23-2011, 06:01 PM
If Favors is the next Stoudamire then they made a bad move. Seeing as they were so willing to shop him I highly doubt that's the case.

They've got a year to convince him and a bunch of cap space to spend on someone to run with him, Lopez and Morrow. Worst case is they fall flat on their faces, Williams makes it clear hes leaving, and they trade him. Its worth the risk.

dreday
02-23-2011, 06:32 PM
thing is, none of these trades guarantee anything but ticket sales. some of these guys will be left out in the cold as far as chips/ accolades when its all said and done.. grass isn't always greener...

nets better hope they can sign him...

i will say this ....the lakers holding on to bynum until next year to try and get howard isn't looking too good anymore in my opinion..this is of course if the nets do get gallo from the nuggets like whats being talked about.the nets also have a shooter in morrow ... the nets would have more to work with to trade for howard than la ....they could trade lopez and a shooter and maybe something else. orlando would get a center,(one that isn't injury prone),and also get shooters because that system is built for that....

jree
02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
I understand that D-Will is an upper echelon pg but these teams that are getting rid of their young guys and pretty much their future trades are a little ridiculous. And its not like devin harris was a bad player.

PhinsPhan11
02-23-2011, 07:57 PM
This move was made by the Nets to try to lure other free agents there. I doubt he stays there when his contract is up.

jree
02-23-2011, 09:00 PM
This move was made by the Nets to try to lure other free agents there. I doubt he stays there when his contract is up.

I understand that. What I'm trying to say is that trading away all those players and draft picks for one guy is a little insane. Especially if his last name isn't James, Bryant, Wade, Rose, etc....

Devin Harris was a more than capable PG. It was everything else that they lacked. This move stinks of desperation by the Russian mobster. NJ was already going to be a lottery team with the chance at making a run at Jared Sullinger but that just goes out the door now. And I don't know what was going on behind closed doors in Utah but they are ****ing stupid for giving away their best player.

nick1
02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
I think Utah needed to make this move Deron Williams was becoming a problem in that locker room, I like Deron Williams but he disliked the Utah front office and made that clear. Utah has a capable PG now and a young guy in Favors who could end up being good. NJ will have a year to get Deron Williams players around him and get him to stay. Brook Lopez is a very good player. if NJ can add some more peices they can easily make the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seed maybe even this year they could catch fire and get the 8th seed they are 9 games back not impossible

kud
02-23-2011, 11:05 PM
I disagree that D.Will is better than Melo. I'd say they're about even if not Melo is a tad better. Besides that, Melo plays a more crucial position. PGs are not as valuable as they used to be back in the day. Especially when you got guys 6'6 plus handling the ball from the 2 3 and 4 position as if they were points.

Of course, I'm not dissing this move, that is great for them, that said Utah is my second favorite team! so that sucks for Utah.

kud
02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
I understand that. What I'm trying to say is that trading away all those players and draft picks for one guy is a little insane. Especially if his last name isn't James, Bryant, Wade, Rose, etc....

Devin Harris was a more than capable PG. It was everything else that they lacked. This move stinks of desperation by the Russian mobster. NJ was already going to be a lottery team with the chance at making a run at Jared Sullinger but that just goes out the door now. And I don't know what was going on behind closed doors in Utah but they are ****ing stupid for giving away their best player.

Rose? If Rose is even more talented than D.Will it's extremely marginal. I would say Rose, Deron, Paul in that order are the top 3 PGs. But as I said in my last post, I personally think it's dumb to start building your team on a PG. But you take what u can get I guess. Nets want a star so they can start putting ***** in the seats again.

jree
02-24-2011, 12:48 AM
The answer of who's better between the two is going to change depending on who you ask. I think Rose is a much better player just b/c of the rumors thats surrounding Williams about the Sloane firing and the rift with the front office. I would never do a mid season trade and give away half my team and picks for player that acts like a brat. Melo isn't worth it and D-Will isn't worth it. All those players along with a few others are the only exception, not just b/c of skill.

Utah pretty much gave up the playoff race by getting rid of their best player. I have a ton of respect for Ludacris jr. but coming into a team and trying to run a new offense is going to be extremely hard to try to do. I just think it was a really bad move on both parts

Ferretsquig
02-24-2011, 07:06 AM
I don't think you can put Rose in the discussion until he starts playing defense. For all the talk about his enormous potential hes a lousy defender....then again so was DWade at that point in his career so it'll probably come in time.

Teams are tossing away lottery picks this year because they think the draft is going to suck. Barnes was supposed to be the overwhelming favorite to go #1 and I don't the kid is even going to declare. With the threat of a lockout I think a lot of kids that are borderline lotto picks and think they can improve will return to school. It wouldn't shock me if Irving decides to come back even if hes the consensus top overall prospect.

Both players are worth it. The draft is a complete crapshoot, even in a good year and the probability of drafting a star even in the 6-10 range is very low. Getting one with the Lakers' pick in the late 20s happens about .3% of the time.

I don't care how much faith you have in these coaching idols.....you don't win in the NBA without stars. Aside from that Piston's squad, when was the last time you saw a champion without a hall of famer leading the way? Its just the nature of the sport that highlights individual talent. So even if there is little chance of them resigning Deron, you have to take the chance. Brooklyn doesn't want to see the Pacers, 76ers, Bobcats, Bucks, etc.... teams that went out and got a bunch of average talents to build an average team that might squeak into the playoffs and win a couple games.

nyjunc
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM

Williams is probably the best PG in the NBA and the Nets gave up relatively little. draft picks are crapshoots especially in the NBA(this draft isn't going to be a great draft) and Harris was being moved either way. The Nets did not give up much to get a player the caliber of Williams. If he doesn't re-sign it was a bad move but assuming he does(and he liekly will) it's a great move.

Clipse
02-24-2011, 11:28 AM
Deron Williams isn't resigning with that crap team.

Kdawg954
02-24-2011, 12:52 PM
It is unquestionably a better move by NJ IFFFF Deron signs the extension. Worth the risk and DWill's stock is going to rise being in a bigger spotlight in New Jersey. I wonder how he is going to take to it.

nyjunc
02-24-2011, 01:08 PM
Deron Williams isn't resigning with that crap team.

I would expect he will re-sign, the team is moving into a brand new Arena in NYC(Brooklyn) after next season, they have a new owenr not afraid to spend and they will be making more moves going forward.

Clipse
02-24-2011, 01:20 PM
I would expect he will re-sign, the team is moving into a brand new Arena in NYC(Brooklyn) after next season, they have a new owenr not afraid to spend and they will be making more moves going forward.

They better make moves. Deron Williams isn't happy with the trade, and who can blame him. He has 1 person worth a damn to pass the ball to.

nyjunc
02-24-2011, 01:23 PM
They better make moves. Deron Williams isn't happy with the trade, and who can blame him. He has 1 person worth a damn to pass the ball to.

Utah got something before it was too late, He should be upset right now as it came out of left field but I'm confidnet they can smooth things over. If not it was a bad move but they sucked anyway so either way it was worth a gamble.

Cleetus
02-24-2011, 02:51 PM
Maybe the Nets can Franchise him, the year after the work stoppage. Otherwise he will be leaving.