PDA

View Full Version : Got any Madden tips?

Rebar71
12-30-2003, 01:26 PM
Anybody got any tips for a new Madden player?

I just got Madden '04 for the PS2. I've NEVER played Madden before. In fact, about the only football game I have played was Blitz 2000. And, of course, Madden is way more complicated than than Blitz.

My running is getting better, but there seems to be little hope for my passing game. If I drop back and try to watch the receivers, I get sacked sooo quick - like, in about 1 second. If I try to watch the QB so I don't sacked and just try to look at 1 or 2 receivers, I still get hurried and throw a lot of picks.

My defense seems to be OK - so long as I don't try to control anybody. I seem to have a lot of trouble tackling.

Wow - this kinda reads like a "what is wrong with the Dolphins" article, eh? lol

Anyway, for the un-initiated, this game is very tough. It's fun, but can get hella frustrating for the newbie. So, I was wondering if you guys had some general advice for me.

Thanks.

Baz
12-30-2003, 04:22 PM
First and foremost, this is a football simulation. If you have ever played organized ball, you already have an advantage over the average player. The passing game is all about timing. You have to know the route and when to throw the ball. My advice is to go into mini-camps and do those. It'll help you immensely. When being pressured, step up, not back. Don't rush a pass, scramble a little bit, then pass.

As for defense, everyone plays differently. I usually use the DT. I know 984 used the safeties. Some people use the DEs. It depends on what you prefer. Its all about practice. Feel free to ask me any questions. I am very good at Madden and am glad to help you out if you need it......

Prime Time
12-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Bazinet37
I am very good at Madden and am glad to help you out if you need it......

Not good enough to beat me anymore :)

Rebar71
12-30-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Bazinet37
First and foremost, this is a football simulation. If you have ever played organized ball, you already have an advantage over the average player. The passing game is all about timing. You have to know the route and when to throw the ball. My advice is to go into mini-camps and do those. It'll help you immensely. When being pressured, step up, not back. Don't rush a pass, scramble a little bit, then pass.

As for defense, everyone plays differently. I usually use the DT. I know 984 used the safeties. Some people use the DEs. It depends on what you prefer. Its all about practice. Feel free to ask me any questions. I am very good at Madden and am glad to help you out if you need it......
Mini-camps - good call. I'll give those a shot. I have tried stepping up in the pocket already - and it does help. The hard part is having to watch 5 or 6 different things at once. I think I'm also pressing the buttons too hard in my panic, making things worse. I know the PS2 controller does measure how hard you press the button and I think read somewhere today that how hard you press the buttons affects how the ball is thrown.

Scrap
12-31-2003, 09:56 AM
Don't drop back too far when passing. It makes it an easier angle for the DEs to get to you. Mostly, just playing the game will improve your ability to use the controller. Since you aren't used to Madden, you probably still occasionally hit the wrong buttons. I like to move my receivers in motion alot. It helps on running and passing plays. Like Bazinet, I tend to use the DT when I'm on defense. When I first started playing, I would let Madden pick my defensive plays a lot of the time.(warning: his plays will screw you sometimes) Eventually I started catching on to what I needed to do. I call all of my own plays now.

Rebar71
01-01-2004, 02:37 AM
A couple more questions:

#1 - how do you put a guy in motion on the offense?

#2 - how do you call an audible? I understand how to initiate the process for both offense and defense; but how do you then select a play - and know what play you are selecting?

TerryTate
01-01-2004, 03:30 AM
hit down on the controller, and it will select a guy, and keep hitting down until its the guy you want, then move him left or right by hitting left or right....

Ill let someone else explain audibles...

Predaphin
01-01-2004, 06:41 PM
I have lots of tips, but if i told you them all, I would self-distruct!

iceblizzard69
01-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Rebar71
A couple more questions:

#1 - how do you put a guy in motion on the offense?

#2 - how do you call an audible? I understand how to initiate the process for both offense and defense; but how do you then select a play - and know what play you are selecting?

To audible press square. It will then say audible on the screen. You then press another button and the play will change. If you go to coaching strategies (I think that is the section) you can change your audibles. The computer has a few plays set as audibles but I personally don't like them so my audible plays are different than the ones they give me.

breckenridge55
01-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Hey Baz, do you have Madden for the PS2 and can go online? I'm looking to play Maddeners that play a game of Madden like real football, not like... Madden, if you know what I mean. None of that cheap stuff like putting a guy in motion 4 times so that they can get off a bump and run or something. Also, anybody else who plays a real style of football, let me know.

Prime Time
01-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by breckenridge55
Hey Baz, do you have Madden for the PS2 and can go online? I'm looking to play Maddeners that play a game of Madden like real football, not like... Madden, if you know what I mean. None of that cheap stuff like putting a guy in motion 4 times so that they can get off a bump and run or something. Also, anybody else who plays a real style of football, let me know.

Alot of us here well play Madden style of Football. 984 is probably the only one on here who plays straight up. I do not know about TT because I am yet to play him.

Rebar71
01-02-2004, 06:24 PM
I play straight up - but I still suck. :goof:

Thanks for the tips guys. I think I've got enough to chew on for now. I just gotta practice! I'm getting a little better with each game.

Rebar71
01-02-2004, 09:37 PM
One more question:

Is there some nasty butt-love going on with the Raiders in this game? I mean, I thought I was getting better. Then I go and play against the Raiders and they're like some freakin' super team! I couldn't do anything on offense - I think I completed 1 pass the whole game - a long one to Bataglia at that. Ricky got stuffed on just about every play. Meanwhile, they're doing whatever the F they want - the play is busted, Gannon scrambles like he's Mike Vick, the WR comes back, catches the ball and jukes the DBs totally out of their jocks... on every friggin' play! WTF? I suck - but not that bad.

Maybe I'll have to try playing as the Raiders to test my "Super Team" theory.

iceblizzard69
01-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by breckenridge55

A lot of guys here play realistically. I do (although I have a tendency to be repetitive) as long as I am not the Falcons. Whats your Madden online name?

iceblizzard69
01-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Rebar71
One more question:

Is there some nasty butt-love going on with the Raiders in this game? I mean, I thought I was getting better. Then I go and play against the Raiders and they're like some freakin' super team! I couldn't do anything on offense - I think I completed 1 pass the whole game - a king one to Bataglia at that. Ricky got stuffed on just about every play. Meanwhile, they're doing whatever the F they want - the play is busted, Gannon scrambles like he's Mike Vick, the WR comes back, catches the ball and jukes the DBs totally out of their jocks... on every friggin' play! WTF? I suck - but not that bad.

Maybe I'll have to try playing as the Raiders to test my "Super Team" theory.

The Raiders were pretty good in Madden with the original rosters. However, if you have online, you can download updated rosters, and in the updated rosters the Raiders suck. :)

Rebar71
01-12-2004, 12:16 PM
Another question:

Playmaker feature - what is it and how do you use it?

Chambers34Phins
01-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Before the play on offense if you use your left analog I believe (sorry i could be wrong, i do it subconsiously now haha) and it's a run, you move the analog to the right, it will make the run go to the right, and if u move it ot th left, it changes the run ot the left.

If you are currently running, and you have a blocker in front of you, and you use the analog stick, it will tell the blocker to go block whoever you point at.

On defense, as soon as the ball is snapped, if you read run, push down and it will make your guys commit to run, if you push up on the analog becuase you think it's a pass, it will make your guys look pass. It just makes you play better defense, and helps you out on O, hard to get the hang of at first, but it is a great feature.

Predaphin
01-12-2004, 02:16 PM
yeah most definetly...but its the Right anaolog....practice with it before you go out and try it.

Chambers34Phins
01-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Yea I noticed that after I posted it, because I went to go play. LOL

Rebar71
01-12-2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks again, guys.

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Before the play on offense if you use your [right] analog I believe (sorry i could be wrong, i do it subconsiously now haha) and it's a run, you move the analog to the right, it will make the run go to the right, and if u move it ot th left, it changes the run ot the left.
Is this the same as calling an audible and hitting the R2 button to flip the play? Or does this have a different affect?

Does it do anything special for passing plays?