PDA

View Full Version : Don't look for Fins to Draft QB in Round 1

Finfanforever
03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
I know some of you will argue this point...and I hope I am wrong. I just do not think this regime has the balls to draft a QB in the 1st round. I can see Gabbert and Newton gone by #15. The Dolphins are staring at Mallett dead in the face....and pass :confused:....they either draft Ingram or trade down in the 20's to a team desprate for a DE. I think the Dolphins will get that 2nd rounder they are hell-bent on getting but will lose out on the top 3 QB's in this draft. I think they go RB in the first round because neither RW or RB will be back. Ponder will go quick in the 2nd round so Miami will be left with what I think are a QB field (at least at that point) with a bust-or-or-boom back ups. We don't need a backup...we already have Henne. God I hope I am wrong but Ireland and Sparano don't strike me at QB-lover types. Feel free to argue your point.

Built2Win
03-23-2011, 08:16 PM
with the 15 selection in the draft the dolphins select "tyrod taylor"

Sparanos take " we got a bigger faster stronger michal vick today"

"I told u we are a pound it first team
and tyrod will keep the defenses honest with his arm and scrambling ability.."

"just kidding " :P

Nawledge
03-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I wouldnt mind picking Ingram at 15

HurriPhin
03-23-2011, 08:22 PM
No argument here. Draft Ingram @`#15. Screw Mallett.

* I would be fine with Ponder. Don't care about were he grades as far as if 15 is too early. You either like him or not.

BostonPhin4
03-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Mallet is the best player available at #15 by far, it's just about where his head is at.

If we don't leave this draft with Mallet, Ingram, or Ponder it will be an epic failure IMHO. You have a chance at 3 great players. Ponder and maybe even Mallet could be had by trading back into the mid 20's and picking up a second or third rounder. There is absolutely no excuse for this regime to not leave this draft with an impact player, and by impact player I mean year one or two. Not this Kaepernick 3-4 year project stuff.

We need impact, those three provide it at a place in the draft where you aren't going to find it every year.

Trade back to the late 20's and pick up a second rounder, take Mallet or Ponder depending on preference and availability, then do what it takes to get Ryan Williams in the 2nd even if it involves trading again to move up into position, and giving up a later pick.

footsteps_falco
03-23-2011, 08:46 PM
I think just because the mock drafts aren't saying it doesn't mean that mallett can't go. 8 of the top 10 teams need a QB. then like 2 teams between 10 and 15 do as well. Teams that need a franchise QB i just don't think will be scared enough to not take mallett once gabbert and newton come off the board.

I have no problem with miami taking christian ponder at 15. i think he or ingram NEED to be that pick. forget trading down. its either ingram/oline and maybe a later QB like stanzi in the 4th or if hes gone someone else, or ponder/RB/Oline . no trade downs. take one of these 2 guys with conviction at 15. perferably ponder.

MRojas4
03-23-2011, 09:27 PM
I still say trade down, pray Ingram is still available in the mid 20's or take Leshoure/Williams in 2nd round.

Finfanforever
03-23-2011, 09:28 PM
The need for the Dolphins to get a QB...I mean a legitament QB in this draft to contend with Henne is paramount and over shadows every other need in this draft. If Mallett is sitting there at #15 and we trade down or take a RB...I WILL PUKE! :puke:

MRojas4
03-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Also look at this Helu kid, under the radar beast.

Finfanforever
03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I still say trade down, pray Ingram is still available in the mid 20's or take Leshoure/Williams in 2nd round.

I'drather have Jay Fiedler back than to trafe for Kyle Orton!

houtz
03-23-2011, 11:57 PM
As long as we end up with a Top 3 RB, Ingram/Leshoure/Williams and a QB like Mallet/Ponder/Kaepernick I will be extremely happy with this draft.

Kdawg954
03-24-2011, 12:06 AM
I think Miami is definitely looking at their QB options, and they have a few guys in mind . . . however I don't want them to be desperate for a QB just for taking a guy and miss out on a guy like Ingram. It has been 28 years since we drafted a first round QB . . . yes it's time to break that mold . . . but if you are going to break that mold, do it right, and go after the guy you covet, even if it means trading up to get him (don't know how possible that is, but it would really mean Miami likes a guy for them to trade up for him).

With so many QB needy teams, this isn't the time to play with the position, and whoever you like, if anybody . . . you better take him at 15.

spydertl79
03-24-2011, 01:32 AM
I'd be happy with one of three guys:

Ingram
Mallet
Ponder

Fin Thirteen
03-24-2011, 06:14 AM
If you look at who's being tried out in personal workouts, it's starting to point to a QB in R1 to me. Very few O-line guys (no 1st rounders so far? is that right?), no TEs, they're pretty high on LeShoure which maybe points away from Ingram (tho' he's also getting a workout), no serious interest in the top WRs (afaik). The one position they're consistently tracking first round talent in is QB. Mallett, Ponder, Kaepernick, Newton all getting workouts and they went to check out Gabbert at his ProDay.

fins_rock
03-24-2011, 06:20 AM
There is no way Ireland and Sparano pick a QB at #15. Even if Andrew Luck was in this draft and slid to 15, Ireland would try to trade back or pick a linemen or defensive player. These guys will try to get a project QB in the 2nd or 3rd rd and try to develop him, which they have shown they suck at developing QBs.

I think Mallett will definitely be there at 15, and it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone when we pass on him.

BostonPhin4
03-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Lol at all of us morons (myself included) hoping our front office will make a splash and finally get us something other than a 2nd or 3rd tier QB in this draft.

That's why this is probably my favorite time of year, I get to come on here and talk to all of you fine Gents about what the Phins should be doing in the draft this year. All of us full well knowing that we aren't going to get a Mallet, Ingram or Ponder. It's the Stanzi, and Kaepernicks of the world for us, always will be with this front office unfortunately. We will trade out of #15 and either end up with 2 second rounders or a late first ans a third. By the time we pick Mallet and Ingram will def be off the board, and even if Ponder isn't we will spend our pick on a Lineman or something.

But these few months we get to have hope, we get ourselves all excited and worked up about the prospects available. Who will fall to us, who are we targeting. Knowing full well we are going to come out of this draft weekend with the same WTF nausea we do 9 out of 10 times.

What masochists we all are setting ourselves up for disappointment and heart break every year as we pass on Impact players for 2nd rate "value" scrubs.

BlueFin
03-24-2011, 01:03 PM
If we draft a runningback with the 15th pick it just exposes again how this regime doesn't get it. Running backs can be had in so many other ways that a runner taken in the top half half of round 1 better be a very special back indeed. Didn't passing on Aaron Rodgers for Ronnie Brown make that perfectly clear?

I agree, I have no faith in this regime doing the right thing, and sadly that will saddle us with even more years in mediocrity as a bottom feeder and at best a pretender.

But it's out of our hands and all we can do is sit back and watch the train wreck that the Miami Dolphins have become since Shula left.

greasyObnoxious
03-24-2011, 01:13 PM
come on, we all know they are going to pick Gabe Carimi or J.J. Watt :-)

Kdawg954
03-24-2011, 01:51 PM
If we draft a runningback with the 15th pick it just exposes again how this regime doesn't get it. Running backs can be had in so many other ways that a runner taken in the top half half of round 1 better be a very special back indeed. Didn't passing on Aaron Rodgers for Ronnie Brown make that perfectly clear?

I agree, I have no faith in this regime doing the right thing, and sadly that will saddle us with even more years in mediocrity as a bottom feeder and at best a pretender.

But it's out of our hands and all we can do is sit back and watch the train wreck that the Miami Dolphins have become since Shula left.

Taking Ronnie at 2, is much different from taking Ingram at 15. If we had the #2 pick in this draft, and we took Ingram . . . that would be a definite indictment that this front office "doesn't get it". At 15, with atleast 8 teams looking at QB, if a guy slips through that gauntlet, there is a good chance that guy could fall right by us as well. I don't want a QB for just saying "we drafted a QB in the first round" . . . I want to get this right.

The biggest indictment of this front office would be trying to trade down and still getting a QB they "covet" later in the first. That IMO, wouldn't make any sense. Just take the guy and be done with it.

You also have to factor in that Chad Henne is still on the team, who did they have going into 2005? AJ Feeley? Henne is still an invested draft pick and he very much will be in the running to start next season. The Fins need to make sure they are confident that they have a guy who they STRONGLY feel is an upgrade from Chad Henne.

I have them taking Ponder in a trade down in my most recent mock, but that is because I feel they would go BPA . . . whether they think that is a QB, is another story . . . but if they TRULY love Ponder, or Mallet, or even Locker . . . take him at 15 and be done with it. I don't know if that necessarily is the case though.

Also, I think Mark Ingram is a very special back . . . worthy of the 15th pick in this draft. Factor in this regime's WANTING to run the ball, and both of your feature RB's are free agents . . . it is a real GREAT fit. That is why you see people wanting him at 15.

But it is in the hands of our regime, and they ultimately need to decide what is best for the team. I am in the minority that Henne needs another year, and with the potential of a limited training camp, drafting a QB may not be the best way to approach this season. I also like the prospects of next years QB class . . . so I would be getting IMO a stud RB this year, allow Henne to QB this year around a new OC and worse case scenario he is a FA next year and our hand is forced to getting a QB in a more solid class, and maybe even a better pick to do that with.

Best case scenario, Henne thrives under Daboll and we get him resigned, we have our stud RB from this draft and our first round pick next year can be BPA on either side of the football.

HybridPHIN 23
03-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I just don't want to take the next QB off the board out of need. We are unequipped for moving upwards in the draft this year.... and banking our future on another leftover, misfit QB like Ponder, Mallet is a recipe for (another) disaster.

Next year's QB Class is going to be much more top-heavy. We'll be decided on Henne by then, loaded for a trade up (if necessary), etc. etc.

Finfanforever
03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I just don't want to take the next QB off the board out of need. We are unequipped for moving upwards in the draft this year.... and banking our future on another leftover, misfit QB like Ponder, Mallet is a recipe for (another) disaster.

Next year's QB Class is going to be much more top-heavy. We'll be decided on Henne by then, loaded for a trade up (if necessary), etc. etc.

Since when is Mallett or even Ponder a "leftover"? Some draft guru's even think Mallett might be the best QB in this draft. QB is a need and dare I say THE NEED of this team. THis leaque has proven time and time...season after season...Superbowl anfter Super bowl...if you don't have a QB..you don't have a prayer! So yes it's a need. Yes...there is an argument against every QB in this draft..so do we play it safe and not draft one at #15??? HELL NO! There is 3 QB IMO worth drafting at #15...Gabbert, Newton, and Mallett. Ponder IMO is a mid 2nd rounder but his stock is rising. After that...that's when you get into MAJOR projects and the "leftovers" you mentioned.

NorFlaFin
03-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I'd bet they take Pouncey