PDA

View Full Version : Mallet in the mix for #1 overall pick

Roonnette
03-23-2011, 09:25 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/21/ron-rivera-insists-ryan-mallett-still-in-mix-for-top-overall-pick/

"Rivera told Joseph Person of the Charlotte Observer Sunday that the Panthers are still considering roughly eight players to take with the first pick. That list includes three quarterbacks, including Ryan Mallett of Arkansas. Asked if Mallett was on a level below Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, Rivera blanched (http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2011/03/rivera-panthers-looking-at-more-than-qbs.html).
“I wouldn’t necessarily say that. Because as far as throwing the ball, you’ve really got to evaluate each guy’s strengths and weaknesses,” Rivera said. "

ckparrothead
03-23-2011, 09:36 PM
This and the controversy it will likely cause is a good way to set the stage for our next week's Draft Winds, which will focus on Ryan Mallett.

Finfanforever
03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
This and the controversy it will likely cause is a good way to set the stage for our next week's Draft Winds, which will focus on Ryan Mallett.

If he is sitting there at #15...THE FINS HAVE TO TAKE HIM!

BobDole
03-23-2011, 09:42 PM
why would the dolphins take the best pro ready QB at #15 when we can wait until rd 3 and take a never-will-be like kaepernick? our strategy of mediocrity at the QB position is bound to work at some point ...

MP-Omnis
03-23-2011, 09:59 PM
Well if we take Mallet, I just hope he's a dope in the Dan Marino way, and not the Jamarcus Russell way.

justdev7
03-23-2011, 10:15 PM
If he is sitting there at #15...THE FINS HAVE TO TAKE HIM!

If we pass on Mallet we'll be cursed for another 15 years!!!!

kvado16
03-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Mallett i cant see him going no. 1 im still not sure if i would take him with the first if he was just slightly more mobile i would like him.

j-off-her-doll
03-23-2011, 10:41 PM
For me, the QB's go:

1. Newton
2. Ponder, Mallet, Gabbert
5. Locker
6. Nobody you'd take if you actually need a QB.

Kdawg954
03-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Everybody knows the guy is the best passer in this draft. It is the other things that you have to factor in. Off the field issues, work ethic, lack of mobility, lack of athleticism, potential attitude issues?

A #1 overall prospect shouldn't have THAT many issues. He needs to be able to fit what you want out of your QB, and I don't necessarily feel like he does that for Miami. Obviously you are going salivate over his arm and at some of the throws he is capable of making, so if you pull the trigger you better make sure you know what the hell you are getting into by drafting this kid and be confident you can make that kid your franchise guy for the next 12 to 15 years.

For a guy with this much talent to be consistently mocked in the 2nd and even 3rd round by experts with "respected" opinions . . . says alot about whats going on off the football field, and even a little bit of what goes on, while on the football field. I dunno, I like Mallet, I would LOVE if this front office had the confidence in selecting him in the upcomming draft, but I wouldn't be a bit suprised if we passed for another option. 8 other teams, atleast, need a QB ahead of us, if all 8 of those teams pass on this extremely talented young man. . . is that really that much of an indictment of our front office if we are the 9th team to do so?

Despite what the experts have said, I still have him going 12th to Minnesota, and have had him there for a while.

MadDog 88
03-24-2011, 02:01 AM
I think the selection of Mallet will be a non decision because I expect him gone somewhere in the top 10. My biggest concern is that the Bills take Mallet at #3. Not only do we lose out but I don't like the thought of facing Mallet over the next 12-15 years.

Tureo
03-24-2011, 02:30 AM
I don't quite see Mallett going in the top 10 picks. If he does someone else falls to us. Some mocks have him going late 1st to early 2nd so there's no real consensus.

DefensiveEnd76
03-24-2011, 02:58 AM
When Mallett is drawing comparisons to Ryan Leaf it scares the hell out of me.

Fin Thirteen
03-24-2011, 06:05 AM
Well, the Fins don't seem to be trying out as many Tackles/Guards or TEs as they are other positions and they don't usually pick someone they haven't worked out a fair bit. They've got a lot of interest in LeShoure, so that might indicate they won't go for Ingram. The linebackers they've tries are mostly mid-rounders.

It's starting to look pretty like they're going for a QB in Round 1. Whether that's a tradeup, stick or tradedown scenario, who knows. But, the list of workouts so far is pointing towards a R1 QB.

Ed Norton
03-24-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't blame the Panthers if they take Mallet but my gut feeling is it will be somebody else.

ckparrothead
03-24-2011, 12:12 PM
As I said, this is setting the stage well for our piece on Mallett which should be out Tuesday.

Ever wonder what people thought of Mallett coming out of high school? What his interviews were like, what people thought of his personality, etc? Curious about the nature and efficiency of his sense for pressure in the pocket? Curious about his release, how quick it is in relation to other quarterbacks? Ever wonder what he's like on 3rd downs, or against the blitz?

If so, should be an interesting read.

Havanese
03-24-2011, 12:56 PM
I look forward to reading your piece on Mallett. I used to have some pretty good conversations with you, Boomer, and someone else (the name escapes me, jim maybe) three or four years ago in regards to the draft before some things happened in my life and I had to get away from both breaking down film and posting on this site. I'm back under a new name and looking forward to being more involved in both aspects moving forward.

Hopefully I will have the ability to start actual threads before too long....that must be a new security feature since I left. The same type of feature that made restarting my old username impossible (kept getting error messages about not be ableto email members).

Anyway, I look forward to it because Mallett is the guy I prefer for Miami for a myriad of reasons...all of which are too lengthy to talk about here.

MarSly
03-24-2011, 01:47 PM
No players now adays don't last 12-15 years on one team.

BobDole
03-24-2011, 04:02 PM

QB's still do - if they're good at least. you think the colts would ever let manning go - or the patriots with brady? not a chance. if he's the real deal in the NFL then he'll stick. ray lewis and ronde barber come to mind as well - not to mention a few kickers. it's not real often but it does happen.

Kdawg954
03-24-2011, 04:53 PM

I'll tell you like this, at the QB position . . . I am willing to bet the "elite" QB's . . . Rivers, Manning, Brady, Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Brett Favre, Dan Marino . . . all remained with their teams for years upon years and will continue until they get too old and their contract is up and they may go to a team in hopes to win a ring. I think every team hopes that the QB they draft in round 1 is a guy they can have for atleast 10 years, but more specifically 12 to 15 years. Manning is 12 years in . . . if a team drafts Blaine Gabbert . . . you can bet that team is looking to keep him as long as the Colts kept Manning.

Finfanforever
03-24-2011, 07:29 PM
As I said, this is setting the stage well for our piece on Mallett which should be out Tuesday.

Ever wonder what people thought of Mallett coming out of high school? What his interviews were like, what people thought of his personality, etc? Curious about the nature and efficiency of his sense for pressure in the pocket? Curious about his release, how quick it is in relation to other quarterbacks? Ever wonder what he's like on 3rd downs, or against the blitz?

If so, should be an interesting read.

Ck...your reads always are. Thanks for your insight. It is always appreciated!