PDA

View Full Version : Will Blaine Gabbert be a bust?

mattrock123
03-24-2011, 01:16 PM
http://whotheman.com/battle/456192/Blaine-Gabbert-will-be-a-bust-in-the-NFL

IMO, stay farrrrrr away from this guy!

ckparrothead
03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
He's got a chance to be a bust. I think he's definitely a 50/50 type of prospect, same way I considered Matt Stafford.

Chubby
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
He's got a chance to be a bust. I think he's definitely a 50/50 type of prospect, same way I considered Matt Stafford.

If we could end up with a Stafford minus the injuries we are golden.
Chubbs

BostonPhin4
03-24-2011, 01:45 PM
He could bust, he no doubt has a lot of work to put in if he wants to be a solid NFL starter.

I can tell you who will bust tho. Cam Newton I would say has about a 90% chance of turning into a career backup or at most a sub par starter. I just don't think the guy has the tools to be a franchise qb in the NFL.

Also, Kaepernick has a very high chance to bust in my opinion, being nothing more than a decent back up or marginal starter. But that might not count as a "bust" depending on where in the draft he goes. But something tell me we are going to get to watch his bust in person.

TedSlimmJr
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
The young man with his hat turned around backwards won the short debate...

Gabbert is a 50/50 shot to succeed IF he's allowed to sit and develope. Throwing any quarterback into the NFL as a starter during his rookie season with no pocket presence, lack of downfield accuracy, and penchant for throwing ill advised passes and he's going to look like Jimmy Clausen as a rookie... especially if he's leading the charge on a bad football team with a lame duck coaching staff...

Gabbert shouldn't come off the board any earlier than the latter portion of the 1st round... and he's my #2 quarterback.. If that tells you anything about how I view this quarterback class...

TrinidadDolfan
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
http://whotheman.com/battle/456192/Blaine-Gabbert-will-be-a-bust-in-the-NFL

IMO, stay farrrrrr away from this guy!

Really did not expect much from the "whotheman" website, but it is pretty clear that there are valid arguments on both sides of the fence r/e Gabbert.

What is also clear is that the case can be made for/against any QB to come out in the past 10 years.

The draft is like a poker game. Each player represents a couple of cards, and you have to decide how much you want to risk on the hand before the "flop". If your hand represents a high % success rate, then you will be more prone to risk a 1st rounder on the guy. If your player is a Jack+9, then you may want to wait until the lower rounds before the price becomes low enough for you to gamble a lower-value pick.

Nothing is certain, it is just about playing the odds with the risk/reward in the front of your mind.

If you want to spice it up a bit, you can always get away from the "safe" picks, and be agressive with the more boom/bust type of players. For me, I would tend to pick boom/bust players for my QB position. Why??? Well, it is just that, as a Fins fan, I would not want to see us with a medoicre (not exciting, but "do-able") QB. I would rather have "do-able" men in the non-skill positions. The QB is the leader of the team, and most of the success is in his hands.

Why settle on "average" when you have a chance to be "great"???

Gimme Mallett at 15.

j-off-her-doll
03-24-2011, 01:52 PM
I thought the first guy seemed slow. When he said he's a Bills fan, started making sense.

Aqua and Orange
03-24-2011, 01:57 PM
I think this depends largely on who drafts him. That factors in a ton. You have to consider things like if he is managed well, brought along slowly, has a good mentor, plays in a good system, and doesn't have to have the entire team on his shoulders (affording the ability to be a 'game manager' type).

Elliott 1
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
I think Gabbert will be good as long as he get's his chance. If they do to him what they did to Jimmy Clausen, he may end up having to go to the bottom of the NFL or even the UFL to work his way back into a starting NFL gig.

The thing is, if he is drafted in the top five, he will most likely be the opening day starter, and that is one heavy burden to bear.

I could be wrong. Maybe the Panthers will give Clausen another shot and draft DL, but it looks like one and done for Jimmy and maybe in five years tou will get another chance if your lucky.

This contemporary NFL has very little patience.

tylerdolphin
03-24-2011, 01:59 PM
Brb, checking my crystal ball. Ill get back to you.

spydertl79
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
If Carolina takes him... yes

spiketex
03-24-2011, 02:22 PM
There is real risk in any high QB draft selection. He could be a bust but he could also be the QB that turns around a franchise. I don't understand why he is considered so highly based on his on-field achievements to date.

TrinidadDolfan
03-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I think this depends largely on who drafts him. That factors in a ton. You have to consider things like if he is managed well, brought along slowly, has a good mentor, plays in a good system, and doesn't have to have the entire team on his shoulders (affording the ability to be a 'game manager' type).

agreed

Who knows how Aaron Rodgers would have panned out if he did not have the time to sit and absorb.
Remember also Steve Young, Brett Favre etc...

The good-old-days when QB's sat and learned. I will say this though, our approach with Henne was to let him sit & learn. He was given every opportunity to succeed and... he didn't.

This means to me that Henne could never have succeded, in ANY system. His final product after "easing" into the position only proved the fact that he sucks

Kdawg954
03-24-2011, 02:37 PM
I think Gabbert is the best QB in this draft for Miami. I have been debating about it, but I am comfortable that this is a good enough situation because we don't have to throw him in right away. Intelligent kid, mobile, great arm, ideal size, he has the accuracy, quick release. I have him and Locker as my 1/2 combo for Miami. What Locker lacks in accuracy he makes up with experience and familiarity with the pro system. Gabbert does need to sit for a year though, atleast a year, and learn the nuances of the pro game/system. I think learning behind Chad Henne would be a great thing for him in 2011. Unfortunately, I don't see him slipping to us at 15. Same thing with Locker, I don't think he falls to Miami either.

SR 7
03-24-2011, 03:22 PM
when the pocket collapses he looks like Henne.

ckparrothead
03-24-2011, 05:14 PM
The young man with his hat turned around backwards won the short debate...

Gabbert is a 50/50 shot to succeed IF he's allowed to sit and develope. Throwing any quarterback into the NFL as a starter during his rookie season with no pocket presence, lack of downfield accuracy, and penchant for throwing ill advised passes and he's going to look like Jimmy Clausen as a rookie... especially if he's leading the charge on a bad football team with a lame duck coaching staff...

Gabbert shouldn't come off the board any earlier than the latter portion of the 1st round... and he's my #2 quarterback.. If that tells you anything about how I view this quarterback class...

Generally I'm a believer in on-the-job training. I think that if you're not strong enough to handle a little adversity as a rookie, and still throw some punches that have people interested in coming back to you, the chances are you're just not good enough for this league anyway. However, Blaine Gabbert's not the type I'd feel an urgency to get on the field right away. He's the type I'd sit for half the year, getting him into the game in certain situations to get his feet wet, and if he's playing really well then by the end of the year I'm starting him.

TedSlimmJr
03-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Generally I'm a believer in on-the-job training. I think that if you're not strong enough to handle a little adversity as a rookie, and still throw some punches that have people interested in coming back to you, the chances are you're just not good enough for this league anyway. However, Blaine Gabbert's not the type I'd feel an urgency to get on the field right away. He's the type I'd sit for half the year, getting him into the game in certain situations to get his feet wet, and if he's playing really well then by the end of the year I'm starting him.

The cream will always rise to the top... If a guy is going to succeed, he's going to do it regardless of circumstances. A quarterback worth his salt is going to prevail in the end no matter what...

However, my point was I would expect Blaine Gabbert to experience a miserable go of it if he's asked to start as a rookie, particularly on a bad team if he were to be selected with a top 5-10 pick. That doesn't mean he won't ever make it... I've seen some pretty good quarterbacks look like they didn't even belong in the NFL as rookies...

The point is that if you're going to take a quarterback with that high of a pick, you're expecting him to start for you as a rookie at some point. I don't think Gabbert is ready to play as a rookie, therefore the earliest I would take a quarterback like him is late in the 1st round, with the understanding that I'm doing it for the potential payoff down the road.

Which is basically the tale with virtually this entire quarterback class, with Ryan Mallett being the exception as a guy who I think would experience the least amount of struggle learning the position while receiving on-the-job training... provided he has an offensive line capable of protecting him.

If a team takes Gabbert with a top 15 pick or so, they might as well throw him in there and see how he responds... same for any quarterback that gets drafted in the top 20 picks of this draft.

fins_rock
03-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I went on youtube and watched some of his highlights , and I wasn't very impressed with what I saw. Gabbert doesn't look like much to me and I'
m not sure why all the guys on TV are so high on him. Maybe they think he has the most upside because of his measurables.?
If you watch videos of Gabbert and then watch Mallett, it's very clear who is going to be successful in the NFL and who is not.