PDA

View Full Version : Dont make the mistake.

Chubby
03-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Every year prior to the combine and Prodays all your hear from the experts is the grade we have for the prospect comes from what we see in the tapes, and the combine and Prodays are only used to validate what we have seen on film.

Yet every year without fail, the "experts" post combine/pro days start over valuing players or heavily downgrading players.

They start falliong in love with players like Vernon Gholtson, JPP, Tyson Jackson etc....

They start knocking players like Nick Fairley, our very own D. Bess etc......

So what do the fans do? They start falling in love with the wrong guys. Dont fall into this trap. I dont see how a player like Ponder, who was barely a 2nd round value prior to the combine is now being considered value anywhere in the 1st round yet guys Fairley are being said he is barely top 10 value and a huge bust potential.

Hell I even saw one mock here with Mallet being the 1st QB taken, I like Mallet but WTF? Best Qb?
Chubbs

Aqua and Orange
03-24-2011, 01:54 PM
So you do not like Christian Ponder then? I think some guys just need to step away from systems, heal from injuries, and lose their underperforming teammates to let their true skill show.

Tunaphish429
03-24-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey they all make mistakes..Tom Brady was suppose to go undrafted and be a scout team qb at best....All it takes is one team to like a player...They draft him and the rest is history..The thing is if you want to believe somone else go right ahead..But if you wanna know for youself you have to do the research otherwise its just heresay..I dont have alot of time to watch multiple players play multiple games...So I like to read about it...What else can I do? Sometimes all it takes is one or two times to know if a player is going to be good or not...

There are so many factors that go into how a player will develop...Money, Loaction, Scheme, Weather in general..Who really knows? The only person that has control over all of this is the player himself.

Elliott 1
03-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I think Mallet is a top ten talent if he he is an intelligent guy with high character and integrity.

Some organizations don't value those attributes, so ya, he could go in the top 12, and maybe even to the Bengals.

TedSlimmJr
03-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Every year prior to the combine and Prodays all your hear from the experts is the grade we have for the prospect comes from what we see in the tapes, and the combine and Prodays are only used to validate what we have seen on film.

Yet every year without fail, the "experts" post combine/pro days start over valuing players or heavily downgrading players.

They start falliong in love with players like Vernon Gholtson, JPP, Tyson Jackson etc....

So what do the fans do? They start falling in love with the wrong guys. Dont fall into this trap. I dont see how a player like Ponder, who was barely a 2nd round value prior to the combine is now being considered value anywhere in the 1st round yet guys Fairley are being said he is barely top 10 value and a huge bust potential.

Hell I even saw one mock here with Mallet being the 1st QB taken, I like Mallet but WTF? Best Qb?
Chubbs

I hear what you're saying and there's some truth to the point you're trying to get across..

However, being dominant on film doesn't preclude you from having high bust potential... Fairley is the prime example. Defensive tackles taken in the top 10 picks are always risky, and they bust at an extremely high rate. They were selected in the top 10 in the first place because they were dominant on film and in games..

Fairley is a one year wonder... he wasn't even a full time starter just a year ago. He takes plays off, which is something you'll never see out of a guy like Marcell Dareus, for example. Nick Fairley is also very "raw" in his mentality, something scouts liked to refer to as being "JUCO to the core". He doesn't anchor consistently against the run.... right now he's a very streaky defensive lineman who tends to show up and dominate in spurts during the most critical spots of big games, but the motor, effort, and desire just isn't there for 4 quarters. He's either making "splash" plays, or he's completely invisible for long stretches...

It's something you have to consider...

As for Mallett, why shouldn't he be the first QB taken? More importantly, which quarterback is better and WHY is he better?

3rdandinches
03-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Chubbs

Funny that you mention N.Fairly, he's is my highest rated bust player. One year wonder, only relies on athletic ability, has no work ethic and in my opinion he isn't very smart on or off the field.