PDA

View Full Version : Mock 3.0

3rdandinches
03-25-2011, 05:16 AM
Free Agency
B.Edwards WR 6'3 214
Big play receiver that will be the odd man out in NY with all of their high priced FA's. Edwards has a career average over 15yards a reception and was over 17yards per reception in 2010. Braylon is a tough run blocker who makes big plays happen in the passing game.

V.Leach FB 6'0 255
Beast of a FB, who is one of the best, if not the best blocking FB in the league while flashing some decent hands out of the backfield.

Cuts
C.Crowder ILB and L.Polite FB
Two guys that make too much money while not producing the results to warrent those salaries. Crowder is solid in run defense but provides little else, Polite is a great short yardage back but wiffs on way to many run blocks really hurting our run game results.

Draft
1(15) to SD for 1(18) and a 3rd
1(18) to Denver for 2nd(36) and 2(46)

2. K.Rudolph TE 6'6 260
Great all round TE with elite potential, will improve our run blocking instantly and is a very good receiver.

2. R.Williams RB 5'9 212
Very athletic, powerful runner, great vision, makes people miss with his "cuts on a dime" ability. TS spoke of having a RB that can make bigger plays by himself and R.Williams elusive ability in the open field makes him a strong choice.

3. D.Moch OLB 6'1 250
Absolute monster of a pass rusher, will improve our passing rushing depth and give M.Nolan our own version of E.Dummervil.

3. W.Rackley OG/OT 6'3 310
Excellent power blocking guard who is versatile enough to play tackle, Rackley will come in and compete with J.Jerry and N.Garner for the two starting Guard positions.

4. G.Jones ILB 6'0 242
Tackling machine but with speed, solid blitzer and coverage skills something Crowder sucks at. Jones would make a wonderful compliment to K.Dansby and be a major upgrade to Crowder.

5. R.Housler TE 6'5 250
Seam busting TE our offense has lacks, runs pretty good routes and would be great fit for setting up mismatches splitting him wide.

6. A.Bradford RB 5'11 242
Punishing runner who is also a good blocker, would be a nice compliment to R.Williams and could take over our short yardage runs.

7. A.Gray NT 6'0 330
Excellent run stuffing NT that commands a double team. Real strong kid benching 225 39 times, can get up field disprupting the pocket.

7. R.Bartholomew C 6'1 302

Since there's no rookie that is worth hanging our hat on where we pick or decent enough FA QB's the CS/FO decides to vastly improve the run game to help C.Henne out. We make these improvements with better run blocking from adding OG W.Rackley, TE K.Rudolph, FB V.Leach and WR B.Edwards. If Henne still fails then both he and the CS/FO will be gone in 2012. Then the new CS/FO can sell the farm to move up in the draft to get one of the top QB's coming out. That rookie will have a greater chance of success right away with a top defense and a solid amount of talent on offense surrounding him.

This draft also improves what should be a great defense in 2011. We get more pass rush depth out of G.Jones and most importantly D.Moch, then add the fact G.Jones easily replaces Crowders tackling ability but also adds coverage skills to this defense. Also adding to the defense is a healthy J.Odrick, W.Allen, P.Merling and AJ.Edds, they will go along way to making this really good defnse into a great one.

I do think the FO/CS staff will explore trading for C.Palmer but I highly doubt Cinci trades him. When you had an offer of two 1st round picks for a diva in WR C.Ocho and turn it down then I can't see any reasonable offer being accepted for a 31 year old decent QB. K.Kolb hasn't proven anything to make anyone believe he would be a major upgrade from Henne let alone the asking price so far is a joke. Therefore the CS/FO hand gets forced into trying Henne out for another season hoping a new OC and much improved run game will be enough to allow Henne to flourish and save everyones behinds.

This draft and FA signings could easily happen whether a CBA is done before or after the draft.

TraderJoe
03-25-2011, 06:36 AM
I would be quite happy with that draft but wonder why San Diego AND Denver need to move up? Any rational for that or are you just trying to find ways to move down. Also I could do without B. Edwards.

3rdandinches
03-25-2011, 08:56 AM
I would be quite happy with that draft but wonder why San Diego AND Denver need to move up? Any rational for that or are you just trying to find ways to move down. Also I could do without B. Edwards.

One of SD's top needs is passrush, one of NE's top needs is passrush therefore jumping ahead of NE to get the player they want and not the left over guy is worth a 3rd round pick.

I believe Denver is in the market for a franchise QB and to ensure they get their guy they'll move back into the 1st to get him. Gabbert will be gone with the 1st pick and they'll get a stud defensive player with their 3rd overall pick. If Denver (Elway) really believed in Tebow they would have already said he's their future but they've danced around the issue. J.Locker would be a great fit in Denver, he could sit behind Orton for two years and then be ready to take over that franchise.

You may not like B.Edwards but he is exactly what this FO wants, a guy that can stretch the field, make big impact plays and can block well in the run game. Having Marshall, Edwards, Rudolph, Leach and R.Williams on the field at the same time would make it virtually impossible for defenses to over play the run or pass game. If the safeties came up or played cover 3 Marshall or Edwards would destroy their 1 on 1 coverage, if they play off (cover 4) you have 4 great run blockers that will allow Williams to tear apart the defense on the ground.

RockyMtnPhinfan
03-25-2011, 09:24 AM
I have a hard time believing this front office is going to hang their hats, and ultimately the coaches job on Chad Freakin Henne. I appreciate the effort and enjoyed reading your mock, but i can't agree with it. San Diego has picks to negotiate with and i am hoping with trade back with them and take the BQA (best quarterback available) in the first round and then a RB in the second. Thats my hopes.....rd1/rd2 = Qb/Rb or even Rb/Qb.
This team can not stand pat at the most important position in the NFL, and no team in the NFL currently respects Chad Henne as a passing threat.

Kdawg954
03-25-2011, 09:28 AM
If Denver wants a franchise QB, they better take him at 2. Denver can't honestly expect to pass on their choice of franchise QB's at 2, and expect their guy to be there at 18. I am starting to feel that the top 5 QB's in this draft will be gone by the 16th pick and I think by draft day, that will look much realer than it may look today.

Problem with Braylon Edwards is the dollar amount he is going to request. I think that is too much invested into the WR position. MSW SHOULD be alot cheaper, has a lifelong bond with Brandon Marshall and has even more speed than Braylon. I would look into that first IMO. For some reason I could see Braylon and Brandon not getting along. For a team that uses the FB position like Miami, Leech would be an understandable pickup . . . but I think they are real good with Polite. I don't understand cutting Crowder who is only due 1.9 million. He has always been well liked by every regime that has come thru and he is more than capable of starting next to Dansby. I wouldn't feel comfortable starting a rookie opposite of Dansby, unless my hand was forced. Just like Chad Henne, he is under contract for 1 more year at a low price . . . he is more than serviceable. Plus we still have Edds coming back and Dobbins.

As for the draft, love the Kyle Rudolph pick . . . would give us an ideal combo at TE. Both guys are real versatile. I think it is a bit of an overkill by drafting Housler later on . . . there will be Housler's in later drafts, I think you can draft a QB at that point. I also like Ryan Williams, never been a huge fan because of the injuries . . . but when healthy he is the second best back in this draft IMO. Obviously I like the Dontay Moch pick . . . I think we are in desperate need of a real good 3rd down pass rusher, and you are getting a guy who can do that. I think you are spot on with the Will Rackley pick . . . if not him, it will be somebody who is versatile and can play more than one spot on the line. I personally like Orlando Franklin but Rackley also fits the bill. I still believe we are fine at ILB this year . . . and with the draft real deep next year at that position, we can grab Crowder's replacement then. This team needs to do a better job of setting themselves up in drafts, and positions of need should be addressed in drafts that have better prospects at those positions. Love the combo you have set up with Bradford and Williams . . . don't know if Miami resigns Ricky or Ronnie, but that thunder and lightning will be nice for the future. Something I regretfully didn't do in my mock draft was address the NT position with a late round pick . . . I'm glad you did that with A. Gray. Don't know much about him, but looks like he had a real good pro day. We definitely need to groom a guy behind Soliai. Obviously the Bartholomew pick I am on board with, great value and fills a need late.

I definitely could live with this draft . . . the only real change I would make is instead of Housler I would take TJ Yates. Miami should not exit this draft w/o selecting a QB somewhere. Even if we sign a FA, we need a 3rd string guy and a PS guy. I would also probably get our speed WR instead of Jones in the 4th round and not sign Edwards, but since you cut Crowder I see why you did that.

Good job

Kdawg954
03-25-2011, 09:32 AM
I have a hard time believing this front office is going to hang their hats, and ultimately the coaches job on Chad Freakin Henne. I appreciate the effort and enjoyed reading your mock, but i can't agree with it. San Diego has picks to negotiate with and i am hoping with trade back with them and take the BQA (best quarterback available) in the first round and then a RB in the second. Thats my hopes.....rd1/rd2 = Qb/Rb or even Rb/Qb.
This team can not stand pat at the most important position in the NFL, and no team in the NFL currently respects Chad Henne as a passing threat.

You gotta remember, we are looking at a shortened offseason potentially and I don't think anybody knows what QB's will be available at 15. Miami's best option this season might be to finish off the defense, get some offensive talent around Henne and take a chance that way and worse comes to worse, they will have the ability to sell the farm next year to get a better signal caller in what is looking like a deeper QB class. Whether they draft a guy or not, Miami in the end will still probably hang their hat on Henne so your best bet may be to work on other parts of the offense.

I don't agree that people "don't respect" Henne . . . I don't think they respected Miami's offense last year . . . and that had more to do with Dan Henning IMO. People know Chad Henne has a gun and can beat them throwing the football.

hooshoops
03-25-2011, 09:39 AM
if marcel dareus gets to denver at #2 he'll be a bronco

3rdandinches
03-25-2011, 02:51 PM
If Denver wants a franchise QB, they better take him at 2. Denver can't honestly expect to pass on their choice of franchise QB's at 2, and expect their guy to be there at 18. I am starting to feel that the top 5 QB's in this draft will be gone by the 16th pick and I think by draft day, that will look much realer than it may look today.

Problem with Braylon Edwards is the dollar amount he is going to request. I think that is too much invested into the WR position. MSW SHOULD be alot cheaper, has a lifelong bond with Brandon Marshall and has even more speed than Braylon. I would look into that first IMO. For some reason I could see Braylon and Brandon not getting along. For a team that uses the FB position like Miami, Leech would be an understandable pickup . . . but I think they are real good with Polite. I don't understand cutting Crowder who is only due 1.9 million. He has always been well liked by every regime that has come thru and he is more than capable of starting next to Dansby. I wouldn't feel comfortable starting a rookie opposite of Dansby, unless my hand was forced. Just like Chad Henne, he is under contract for 1 more year at a low price . . . he is more than serviceable. Plus we still have Edds coming back and Dobbins.

As for the draft, love the Kyle Rudolph pick . . . would give us an ideal combo at TE. Both guys are real versatile. I think it is a bit of an overkill by drafting Housler later on . . . there will be Housler's in later drafts, I think you can draft a QB at that point. I also like Ryan Williams, never been a huge fan because of the injuries . . . but when healthy he is the second best back in this draft IMO. Obviously I like the Dontay Moch pick . . . I think we are in desperate need of a real good 3rd down pass rusher, and you are getting a guy who can do that. I think you are spot on with the Will Rackley pick . . . if not him, it will be somebody who is versatile and can play more than one spot on the line. I personally like Orlando Franklin but Rackley also fits the bill. I still believe we are fine at ILB this year . . . and with the draft real deep next year at that position, we can grab Crowder's replacement then. This team needs to do a better job of setting themselves up in drafts, and positions of need should be addressed in drafts that have better prospects at those positions. Love the combo you have set up with Bradford and Williams . . . don't know if Miami resigns Ricky or Ronnie, but that thunder and lightning will be nice for the future. Something I regretfully didn't do in my mock draft was address the NT position with a late round pick . . . I'm glad you did that with A. Gray. Don't know much about him, but looks like he had a real good pro day. We definitely need to groom a guy behind Soliai. Obviously the Bartholomew pick I am on board with, great value and fills a need late.

I definitely could live with this draft . . . the only real change I would make is instead of Housler I would take TJ Yates. Miami should not exit this draft w/o selecting a QB somewhere. Even if we sign a FA, we need a 3rd string guy and a PS guy. I would also probably get our speed WR instead of Jones in the 4th round and not sign Edwards, but since you cut Crowder I see why you did that.

Good job

My point with Denver is that they would take Gabbert but want nothing to do with Newton, so when Gabbert goes #1 they take the best defensive player and get their Locker/Ponder later.

The Crowder move would be more because he's a one trick pony and that trick isn't hard to replace plus between Jones and Edds you get coverage and solid blitzing adding more to our defense. Then you also have to look at as we're only replacing one player on the entire starting defensive line up.

Polite is aweful in run blocking, he's a part of the overall problem last season. History shows us the FO/CS is willing to replace players in a hurry if need be. V.Leach is a great run blocker, which again is an instant improvement to the run game.

I looked at FA and don't see many real good options that would make a huge impact. QB - has nobody that would put us in better position to win over Henne. RB - D.Williams would be great but the money would be almost the same as B.Edwards but his production can easily be covered by a drafted RB. I don't think you can truely say the same thing with a rookie WR unless you're talking about AJ.Green or J.Jones but we won't get a shot at them. OL - Unless C.Nicks will be available we will have to overpay for slightly above average OG's. TE - I would love Z.Miller but so does Oakland. Then I put defense in one group and unless there's some real stud safety I see us as going statis quo but getting help at depth.

MSW brings similar traits as Braylon except the run blocking ability and I believe that is really important to this FO. I don't think B.Edwards contract will be too excessive and I do see your point of having to much mooney invested in one postion but I see the most impact that this CS wants and needs to save their behinds. You make valid points with MSW's speed and friendship with Brandon, I certainly see a veteran WR being added to the mix and I would be fine with MSW.

TJ.Yates would be a fine pick but a player that will pay off in 3/4 years. My point of no QB is that if Henne struggles then the only real hole we have is there at QB. So after everyone is more then likely fired the new CS/FO can make a splash by trading "everything" to move up and get our franchise QB. Therefore making Yates a future back up at best and we have Thigpen or can get another FA to do that.

Thanks for your input, I just thought I'd respond with a little more of my reasoning behind the moves you pointed out.

Elliott 1
03-25-2011, 03:00 PM
If Housler was there in the fifth and the Dolphins drafted him, I think the Dolphins should convert him to an OLB.

This kid just can't catch the ball.

He is a fantastic athlete and probably should have converted while still in school.

I love the double trade down and here is why: The Chargers are rumored to love Kerrigan as a 3-4 OLB, but, Kerrigan is being mocked to the Jags in the majority scenarios out there. So, ya, the 1st trade down is a distinct possibility. As far as Denver goes, it will depend on who they draft with their 1st pick, but if they did go DT or Patrick Peterson, they may trade up if Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith are still on the board. I doubt the Broncos draft a QB before the 4th round, if at all.

Dontay Moch may still be there in the 4th. I doubt he ever becomes an NFL starter. Good depth and special teams. I hope you are right though. Actually I wouldn't mind drafting him at all, even if it was only for depth and ST's. Depth and ST's are valuable and he could become a great ST's guy.

I think a high priced WR in FA is very unrealistic. Edwards,Sims-Walker,Sydney Rice, just not happening.

Leach is 29 and coming off knee surgery. He has been very open about wanting to return to the Texans. The Texans are also on record saying re-signing him is a high priority.

I don't know what to think about Crowder. I think it may be likely he gets cut, but then again, guys with his experience and age are rare. He has played OLB succesfully early in his career and has had one great year when he was healthy all year. He isn't highly paid at 2.5 mil. He may yet have some trade value to 1 of the 32 teams out there.

dr.jake
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
miss the playoffs and not pick til 36? no thanks. i'll take a starter at 15. but i'm all for jettisoning clammy chowder. greg jones would be an upgrade.