PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins awarded compensatory 7th-round pick

DKphin
03-25-2011, 07:33 PM
The pick, which will be the 34th selection in the seventh round and the 234th overall, was earned by a net gain/loss of free agents for the 2010 season. Last year the Dolphins signed linebacker Karlos Dansby and lost defensive end Jason Taylor (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/topic/sports/football/jason-taylor-PESPT008445.topic) and cornerback Nate Jones.http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-miami-dolphins-extra-draft-pick-0326,0,3836846.story?track=rss

Nublar7
03-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Good news. Even though it is the 34th selection in the 7th round and most will call it useless, this extra pick has much more value then past years. Mostly because if the lockout is still going on after the draft, teams can not sign undrafted free agents. So, think of it like Miami gets to have one undrafted free agent.

Roman529
03-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Don't we have back to back picks earlier in the 7th round? Maybe we could package these up and move up to a 6 or 5th rounder?

justdev7
03-26-2011, 02:52 AM
The more picks the merrier

Valandui
03-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Patsies didn't get any for once.

D-bolt
03-26-2011, 07:14 AM
Good news. Even though it is the 34th selection in the 7th round and most will call it useless, this extra pick has much more value then past years. Mostly because if the lockout is still going on after the draft, teams can not sign undrafted free agents. So, think of it like Miami gets to have one undrafted free agent.

And as far as I know the UFL is looking to clean up with the UDFA's this year.

greasyObnoxious
03-26-2011, 07:20 AM
more important than usually, since there probably won't be any UDFA signings until the labour deal has been agreed on.

Nublar7
03-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Don't we have back to back picks earlier in the 7th round? Maybe we could package these up and move up to a 6 or 5th rounder?

Yes, they have back to back picks earlier in the 7th because of the trade that sent Smiley to Jacksonville. They could try to package them to move up, but they can not include the compensatory pick. That pick is not able to be traded.

uga3406
03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
great, we can take another worthless offensive lineman with that pick :chuckle:

JerryD
03-27-2011, 08:46 PM
IF (big IF lol) our scouts are good ... 7th Round picks are gold.

A good gamble can be locked up without having to bid & MORE IMPORTANTLY the guy logically choosing a team where his position is thin & he has a chance to stick. AND, at a cheap price for several years.

There's always a few stars who mushroom up as Un-Drafted Free Agents ... just like the past, some stars came from Rounds 8-12 (or was it 15). Draft was cut to 7 rounds for several reasons, primarily to save money & make bad teams more compettive as rosters were cut.

One of the few advantages one can gain in the NFL is to have top-notch Scouts ... their worth is often in their networked-connections to coaching staffs, where a little team-'value' can be spread around as well. If I were an owner, this is where I would expend beacoup energy & resources. I don't think teams are limited by budgets or rules to spend alot on scouts ... anyone know??

MRojas4
03-27-2011, 09:01 PM
So now we have 3 7th round picks? I is confused....

WHAA????

Ricky_Fan34
03-27-2011, 09:19 PM
The more picks you have, the better your chances are of getting good players. An extra pick is always welcome. A 7th round pick doesn't sound like much, but remember, Tom Brady was a 6th. Sometimes guys fly under the radar. For all we know, this compensatory pick could be our franchise QB. Weird to think about it like that, but that is why every draft choice is important.