PDA

View Full Version : The mock draft

wildvillage519
03-26-2011, 04:30 PM
1st Round (trade 15th overall for 22nd and 53rd overall from the Colts)-Ryan Mallett (6ft-7inch 205lbs 5.3 forty) –Mallett has the strongest arm in this draft and his accuracy was much improved in 2010 completing over 65% of his passes. He does have a few red flags off the field, but the chance of getting the next Joe Flacco is to good for the Dolphins to pass up this late in the 1st round. He will compete to start as a rookie.

2nd Round (53rd overall)-Kendall Hunter RB, Oklahoma St.(5ft-7in 200lbs 4.48 forty)-I believe the Dolphins resign Ronnie Brown and draft Hunter to be the change of pace back the Dolphins haven’t had in the past. I believe this kid is going to be a dynamic player in the NFL.

3rd Round (79th overall)-Stefen Wisniewski C, Penn St. (6ft-3inch 300lbs 5.15 fory)-The Dolphins run to get this pick in when they see Wisniewski fall into there laps in the 3rd round. I believe he drops because some teams believe he is only fit for a zone scheme. I believe he is going to only get stronger and will fit well into any scheme. The steal of the draft.

4th Round (110th overall)-Edmond Gates WR, Abliene Christian (6ft 195lbs 4.35 forty)-The Dolphins need speed at Gates has plenty of it. Gates is to good to pass up at this point. He reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings of the Packers. This will assure that Marlin Moore will not be on the Dolphins roster in 2011.

5th Round (143rd overall)-Virgil Green TE, Nevada (6ft-3inch 250lbs 4.54 forty)-The Dolphins continue to add speed at all the offensive skill positions and Virgil Green has a lot of it for the TE position. Is also a willing blocker, but could use coaching on his technique. He will eventually pass Anthony Fasano as the starting TE within 2 years.

6th Round (174th overall)-Julius Thomas TE, Portland St (6ft-5inch 249lbs 4.63 forty)-Thomas has a lot of potential and this late in the draft the Dolphins take a shot on this athletic TE. A bit raw, but knows how to catch over the middle of the field. Drafting 2 TE's give the Dolphins a better chance at hitting on one.

7th Round A (207th overall)-Mike Mohamed ILB, Cal (6ft-3inch 239lbs 4.7 forty)-Played in a 3-4 defense at Cal and notched 111 tackle, 8 TFL, 3 pass defensed, and 3 INT’s as a junior. He’s very instinctive and is being overlooked by many teams for some reason.

7th Round B (208th overall)-Frank Kearse NT, Alabama A&M (6ft-4inch 315lbs 5.30 forty)-Will spend a year on the practice squad to get stronger and learn the pro game. He could develop into a rotational player by 2012.

7th Round C (234th Overall)-Alex Green RB, Hawaii (6ft 225lbs 4.52 forty)-He will have a chance to make the team as the third RB. I personally think this kid could be an every down back one day.

Buff
03-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Not a fan of the 1st 2 picks. Mallett has too many red flags - Hunter isnt big enough to be an 3 down back. If we were picking at 22, and did trade with the colts, I would think that we would be selecting an O lineman - Ingram may end up with the Pats or maybe the Colts.

At 53, Ryan Williams may still be available and would be a better pick than Hunter.

I like the Virgil Green pick but I dont see him lasting till the 4th round.

Roman529
03-26-2011, 06:05 PM
[ Even though the Dolphins select Torrey Smith in the 1st round, Gates is to good to pass up at this point. He reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings of the Packers. This will assure that Marlin Moore will not be on the Dolphins roster in 2011.[/FONT][/SIZE]

Not bad, but we cannot draft both Mallett and Torrey Smith in the first round.

#1dolphinsfan
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Not a fan of the 1st 2 picks. Mallett has too many red flags - Hunter isnt big enough to be an 3 down back. If we were picking at 22, and did trade with the colts, I would think that we would be selecting an O lineman - Ingram may end up with the Pats or maybe the Colts.

At 53, Ryan Williams may still be available and would be a better pick than Hunter.

I like the Virgil Green pick but I dont see him lasting till the 4th round.

Maurice Jones-drew is 5'7 208 pounds and is a three down back and Hunter is 5'7 200 pounds i doubt 8 pounds is going to make a huge difference

dr.jake
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM
mallett won't start anywhere next year.i want a starter (future probowler) round 1 and round 3 (like the wiz pick). but the rest is always a crap shoot.

Roonnette
03-26-2011, 07:32 PM
mallett won't start anywhere next year.i want a starter

Mallett's already better than 20 starting QBs in the league.

Here, plug in your QB and compare to rest of NFL:

AFC:

East: Brady, Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, Henne (Mallett)
West: Rivers, Campbell, Cassel, Orton
North: Ben, Flacco, Palmer, McCoy
South: Peyton, Garrard, Schaub, Collins

NFC:
East: Vick, McNabb, Romo, Eli
West: Hasselbeck, Bradford, Anderson, Alex Smith
North: Rodgers, Cutler, Stafford, Travaris
South: Ryan, Freeman, Brees, Clausen

Buff
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Maurice Jones-drew is 5'7 208 pounds and is a three down back and Hunter is 5'7 200 pounds i doubt 8 pounds is going to make a huge difference

How many starting running backs in the NFL are that size? One. MJD is a freak. A one off at that size. Sproles is the same height & not a 3 down back, and this league basically requires a bigger rb.

PhinsTD
03-26-2011, 08:43 PM
You won't get a 2nd rounder for dropping from 15 to 22, you'd get a 3rd.

I'm ok with Stefan, but I hate the Gates pick. He's a linear athlete who doesn't play to his speed.

The late picks are all throwaways.

PhinsTD
03-26-2011, 08:47 PM

Using an outlier to make your case is always a dangerous proposition.

That said, we don't need Hunter to be an every down back, we'll also grab a thumper. I'd much rather Ryan Williams if he made it to early 3rd, but I'm not holding my breath.

Swapping out Green for Bilal Powell and using the earlier spot elsewhere would work also.

miamirw
03-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Perfect draft WildVillage519!

I wouldn't change a thing. If Wisnewski falls to the third I would be elated, but if he doesn't we can take the best guard available. Or the kid from TCU if he's there. But overall I pray the draft breaks down like this. Mallett is going to be a franchise QB. I know a lot of folks are down on him because of the media hype surrounding his off the field life, but to me, that's all BS. He's going to be great and everyone that passed on him that needed a QB is going to kick themselves two years from now.

I hope Mallett's stock doesn't rise heading into the draft. Being able to trade down, pick up a second rounder and still get Mallett is ideal. I like the reasoning behind the Hunter, Gates and two tightends picks. We would be making a HUGE mistake if we let Ronnie Brown go. The team blew up the interior of a solid offensive line and guess what? Every back that played for miami had a difficult year. With a solid offensive line and a nice compliment in Hunter, Ronnie's game will rebound big time.

Good mock though.

Finfan4lyfe91
03-26-2011, 10:52 PM
You won't get a 2nd rounder for dropping from 15 to 22, you'd get a 3rd.

I'm ok with Stefan, but I hate the Gates pick. He's a linear athlete who doesn't play to his speed.

The late picks are all throwaways.

Actually to get their second we would need to give like a 4th round pick according to the draft point value chart. 15th pick worth 1,050 points and 111th pick worth 72 oints and the 22nd pick is worth 780, combined with the 54th (360 points) equals 1,140. That could work if they wanted somebody enough to move up for him.

Tureo
03-26-2011, 10:56 PM
If Mallet is better then 20 NFL QBs, he won't be there when we pick.

PhinsTD
03-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Actually to get their second we would need to give like a 4th round pick according to the draft point value chart. 15th pick worth 1,050 points and 111th pick worth 72 oints and the 22nd pick is worth 780, combined with the 54th (360 points) equals 1,140. That could work if they wanted somebody enough to move up for him.

That chart is rubbish and needs to be junked. You aren't getting a second for trading from 15 to 22. You'll get a third if someone is willing to give it up in a very deep draft. To think otherwise is doing the same as basing your argument on an outlier. Even last year we didn't get a 2nd for trading down 15 spots (we got less than a simple 2nd).

We need to use the pick and get a guy we really want, unless someone is foolish enough to give us a great deal.

beanh8er
03-27-2011, 11:07 PM
That chart is rubbish and needs to be junked. You aren't getting a second for trading from 15 to 22. You'll get a third if someone is willing to give it up in a very deep draft. To think otherwise is doing the same as basing your argument on an outlier. Even last year we didn't get a 2nd for trading down 15 spots (we got less than a simple 2nd).

We need to use the pick and get a guy we really want, unless someone is foolish enough to give us a great deal.

Lol. We did get a 2nd and a player for going down 15 spots and it was a very high second.

hooshoops
03-27-2011, 11:49 PM

mjd's got tree trunk lower half thighs and buttocks...a lot like ingram in that regard...hunters bodies pretty good but its not the same...i don't see every down nfl back with kendall hunter

j-off-her-doll
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I have Hunter as my 2nd rated RB. He's plenty big to play full time. He's thicker than Chris Johnson or Jamal Charles (two of the top 3 RB's in the NFL).

Wis won't last until the 3rd. He's the best Center in the draft by a comfortable margin.

Basically, the draft is pretty unrealistic (though, you should recoup a late 2nd for that scenario - questioning that is silly), but it'd be pretty close to ideal.

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 09:43 AM
jamaal charles isn't an every down back...and chris johnson to date is that rare exception...i keep waiting for him to break down physically from all that load

greasyObnoxious
03-28-2011, 10:24 AM
jamaal charles isn't an every down back...and chris johnson to date is that rare exception...i keep waiting for him to break down physically from all that load

yeah, me too. IMO he's going to hit that RB wall well before 30

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 10:35 AM
yeah, me too. IMO he's going to hit that RB wall well before 30

it's gonna be dangerous territory when tennessee has to extend him to some motherload contract...they''ll never see full return on the investment in the deal...a 5 year contract extension for him considering how much pounding he's already taken on his undersized by nfl terms body is an awful lot of risk...

greasyObnoxious
03-28-2011, 10:38 AM
it's gonna be dangerous territory when tennessee has to extend him to some motherload contract...they''ll never see full return on the investment in the deal...a 5 year contract extension for him considering how much pounding he's already taken on his undersized by nfl terms body is an awful lot of risk...

true. kinda happy that's not our problem lol