PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins shiould draft Mike Pouncey with #15 pick

Quadfather
03-27-2011, 04:28 PM
Look, everyone wants a qb, a rb, or wr with this pick, but what position could help all three of these positions currently on our team? Thats center. And Mike Pouncey is a big physical center that can handle the nose tackles in the Afc east and the rest of the league. Look what his brother did for pittsburgh and the impact he had on that oline. We desperatly need a center, and Mike Pouncey should be the pick.

TrinidadDolfan
03-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Look, everyone wants a qb, a rb, or wr with this pick, but what position could help all three of these positions currently on our team? Thats center. And Mike Pouncey is a big physical center that can handle the nose tackles in the Afc east and the rest of the league. Look what his brother did for pittsburgh and the impact he had on that oline. We desperatly need a center, and Mike Pouncey should be the pick.

The QB position is much more valuable than any other position on the team.

If your team is broken, you fix that FIRST, worry about other positions AFTER.

If not, you will end up with a decade of worries....just like the Fins have had.

DKphin
03-27-2011, 04:50 PM

Being UF fan for as long as I have been a Dolfan, Mike is not as good as Maurkice. He is a better OG prospect than a OC. He is a good player, but his brother is better IMHO.

phinfan33
03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Being UF fan for as long as I have been a Dolfan, Mike is not as good as Maurkice. He is a better OG prospect than a OC. He is a good player, but his brother is better IMHO.I'm thinking the same thing on that.

CW_McGraw
03-27-2011, 05:32 PM
The QB position is much more valuable than any other position on the team.

If your team is broken, you fix that FIRST, worry about other positions AFTER.

If not, you will end up with a decade of worries....just like the Fins have had.

In most cases, that's true, but let's be real. Sparano and Co. will most likely be gone by the end of the year. It'd be better for the team if the current management did what they could to lay down a solid foundation for the next guys. Let whoever's running the team this time next year worry about drafting their own QB rather than being shackled to the previous regime's guy..

Tureo
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
I don't see them going QB in round 1 either but Pouncey at 15 is a reach. We can certainly trade back and take him and if Ingram, Mallet, and a steal of a defensive player is there at 15 and we can't trade back, we have better options than Pouncey.

BostonPhin4
03-27-2011, 06:10 PM
You could have the best o-line in football and give Henne all day and he will still check down and over throw his man by 5 yards. We have a more than servicable o-line we just need depth, which can be found later in the draft. You can also have the best o-line in the game and Lex Hilliard is still Lex Hilliard.

We need players at impact positions, it makes no sense to not draft a position of stronger need. We have to take care of our RB and Qb situations in the first 3 rounds and if Mallet is there when we pick passing on him could be disastrous, putting us in the same situation we are now but instead of us all complaining about how bad Henne is we will be complaining about Stanzi, or Kaepernick.

JC
03-27-2011, 06:15 PM
I think a good fit for Pouncey is the Steelers. Taking him at 15 would be a reach. If we had plans to get a QB outside of the draft, I wouldn't be opposed to getting a lineman in the first round, as long as we didn't reach for a un-sexy pick.

dr.jake
03-27-2011, 06:31 PM
there is no QB fix in this draft. we can however add a couple quality lineman who will improve both henne and our running game.

Kdawg954
03-28-2011, 02:07 AM
I didn't watch ALOT of UF games, not nearly as much as many others have . . . but when I saw Pouncey early on, he seemed to struggle with the shotgun snap from being in the spread. I think putting him in a fulltime pro system with a few spread options may result in him being a better center. He clearly can move well and he has versatility along the interior OLine . . . so he definitely FITS what I think the Fins are looking for in a OL pick. However at 15 . . . blah. If you can trade down to the late 20's, then it becomes more realisitic. Drafting Pouncey at 15 is a reach, even if it fills a need. Much rather Ingram with that pick.

Roman529
03-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Unlke the Sedin twins in the NHL who are both great, Maurkice is alot better than his twin brother Mike. I think we have to go QB, RB or trade down.

JCane
03-28-2011, 02:51 AM
If we're going to draft a center we should at least draft a guy that can PLAY center.

:lol:

Roonnette
03-28-2011, 04:26 AM
If we're going to draft a center we should at least draft a guy that can PLAY center.

lol True. . But if Cog plays center, Pouncey should fit nicely at his side.

j-off-her-doll
03-28-2011, 08:42 AM
If we draft Pouncey, Jeff Ireland will officially be an *** hat.

TrinidadDolfan
03-28-2011, 09:15 AM
In most cases, that's true, but let's be real. Sparano and Co. will most likely be gone by the end of the year. It'd be better for the team if the current management did what they could to lay down a solid foundation for the next guys. Let whoever's running the team this time next year worry about drafting their own QB rather than being shackled to the previous regime's guy..

Do you think that the present Colts coaching staff felt burdened & "shackled" with Payton Manning after Dungy left?

DKphin
03-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Unlke the Sedin twins in the NHL who are both great, Maurkice is alot better than his twin brother Mike. I think we have to go QB, RB or trade down.If you want to say the Maurkice is alot better at the OC position, I would agree. But in terms of the OG, I think he compares favorably and I would be happy to draft him at the position. I would be hesitant to draft at 15 seeing as there is some OL depth in this draft. Saying he is alot better is a little off the mark.

beanh8er
03-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Do you think that the present Colts coaching staff felt burdened & "shackled" with Payton Manning after Dungy left?

That's a completely different situation than the one he was describing.

dr.jake
03-28-2011, 04:20 PM
ok lots of folk here seem to think that ronnie brown is done. but keep in mind vernon carey has even more mileage on him and is having trouble staying healthy lately. if vern goes down again i don't care who's in the backfield we got troubles. drafting a right tackle (we'd have a shot at the best tackle in the draft again) at 15 and moving carey inside to guard makes more sense to me that using another high pick on a RB or QB project.

Clipse
03-28-2011, 04:42 PM
1. You don't draft a ****ing center with the 15th pick. That's dumb. Really damn dumb.

2. Pouncey isn't a Center.

TedSlimmJr
03-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Mike Pouncey isn't a center, he's not as good as Maurkice there... but he has exceptional guard qualities. I don't care if Mike Pouncey played center for the Crocs this year after Maurkice moved on, he's not a center. Period. Forget about it. Mike had to play center because Urban had to get his best 5 offensive lineman on the field and the backup center wasn't ready to play. Go back and watch Mike Pouncey's film prior to his Senior season when he was playing guard if you want to see how he looks as a guard...

Here's a short clip of his best competition this year against Alabama...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv-s8qfuFEw&feature=player_embedded

A few of the positive plays where he puts his talent on display begins right off the bat at (:06).. He gets out in space and absolutely pancakes Dre Kirkpatrick at the second level. Can't quite get his hands on Mark Barron but you can clearly see the speed, quickness, agility, and nastiness he puts on display from the very beginning of the play. Mike moves better than any interior offensive lineman in this draft in my opinion.. he's the prototypical pulling guard who is a monster on the hoof.

Another positive play is at the (2:25) mark. He puts the guy who should be the #1 overall pick in this draft, Marcell Dareus, on the ground. Again he shows his nastiness and strength.

At (2:52) he shows his pulling prowess again by getting to the perimeter and pancaking Courtney Upshaw, who's going to be a 1st round pick next year. The play didn't get anywhere because a lot of other guys didn't do their jobs... however, it's a positive play for Mike if you're grading the tape.

At (2:59) he lets Dareus' brute strength and power get the best of him. Pouncey never got his arms extended despite having good hand placement, which allowed Dareus to drive him back. But Mike does an outstanding job of keeping his position and maintaining leverage to finish the block. Most guys would've committed a holding call right there, in addition to potentially giving up the sack.

A few examples of negative plays are at (3:24)... He just flat out whiffs on Damion Square. No excuse for that one. He got caught lunging and bending from his waist... negative play.

Another negative play is at (4:51) where he fails to recognize the free blitzer (Mark Barron) coming right through his gap. Pouncey had help with Dareus in the form of a double team, he should've recognized that blitzer and come off Dareus to pick up the blitzer. Negative play if you're grading the film.

Overall, what you see with Mike Pouncey is that he's a wrist snapper, that's why he has so many errant snaps. He's not an arm snapper. He tries to snap the football by flicking his wrist rather than moving his arm like a lever. There's no excuse why Mike wasn't coached up on this basic fundamental of snapping the football at the University of Florida.

However, he has some traits that are terrific for an interior offensive lineman. He plays with such an incredible base, which helps him anchor in pass protection. Even if he loses the hand battle from time to time, his solid base will allow him to recover. His feet never get narrow... a wide base is key. He bends naturally from the knees and plays with a flat back.. and locks his arms out when he gets his hands on the defender most of the time. He's a good athlete for an offensive lineman, and a natural knee bender, which is critical.

Bottom line is he's not a center. He's a talented guard who was playing center....

If Miami drafts this kid they can stick him at left guard and he'll be best blocking on the move... pulling and trapping.. getting to the second level and hitting moving targets. Although I don't think you use the 15th pick on a guy like this...

COphinphan89
03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Overall, what you see with Mike Pouncey is that he's a wrist snapper, that's why he has so many errant snaps. He's not an arm snapper. He tries to snap the football by flicking his wrist rather than moving his arm like a lever. There's no excuse why Mike wasn't coached up on this basic fundamental of snapping the football at the University of Florida.
Well said. Fortunately, the guy responsible for that debacle is now gone.

dr.jake
04-02-2011, 04:27 PM
there might just be a reason why maurkice declared last year and twin brother mike stayed. ain't knocking the kid but it makes me wonder.

finfan54
04-02-2011, 04:36 PM
This draft is screaming drop down once again...that much is for sure for #15

miamiron
04-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Dolphins shiould draft Mike Pouncey with #15 pick

I realize he will probably stay at guard but
The last time a center was drafted top 15
was in 1993 with Steve Everitt going to the Browns

18 straight years

Phinatic8u
04-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Hell no, Pouncey is a late 1st early 2nd prospect, you dont take those kind of those players earlier because of need.

Draft is BPA ONLY IMO. dont draft need, you end up reaching. badly

HybridPHIN 23
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
i like the idea of value @ 15, certainly sounds better than reaching on a QB that could, in a best case scenario, turn out to be just good enough to hold down a starting spot for a few years... yall have lost your minds with this ponder talk... Ingram, Carimi, Pouncey, are guys that are certain to be there @ 15 and are better picks than deciding we want to continue to handcuff our team with mediocre QB play for the future. Right now we are supposedly a run first team with no running back and a suspect interior line. The jury is supposedly still out on Henne, so spending another high pick on a QB (with serious questions) is a nail in the coffin for this regime. Sure, lets see if ponder can do any better with no running game and poor protection.... sounds like a brilliant idea !

SCOTTY
04-03-2011, 10:06 PM

You did not just compare any QB from this draft class to Payton coming out did you??? EPIC FAIL!