PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins could be wildcard for Mallett at 15

TheBow305
03-27-2011, 05:44 PM
RT @ChrisSteuber (http://twitter.com/ChrisSteuber) #HeardThis (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23HeardThis): #Dolphins (http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Dolphins) could be wildcard for Mallett at 15. Ingram is popular pick, but Mallett & Pouncey MIA targets?

http://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP (http://twitter.com/BenVolinPBP)

phinfan33
03-27-2011, 05:46 PM
I'd be totally fine with us getting Mallett..

X-Pacolypse
03-27-2011, 05:50 PM
Good. I hope they do take Mallett at #15. End this miserable monotony of using 2nd round picks to find a franchise quarterback.

sinPHIN
03-27-2011, 06:04 PM
man i hope we get mallett.

JC
03-27-2011, 06:14 PM
Good. I hope they do take Mallett at #15. End this miserable monotony of using 2nd round picks to find a franchise quarterback.

So just because Mallett is taken in the first round rather than the second means that he will be that much better or worse? Miami needs to be more aggressive getting the guy they want, whether that player be available in the first, second, or third. I just want them to go out and get their guy rather than wait to see if he is available.

BostonPhin4
03-27-2011, 06:18 PM

^^^ this

It's time end this "value" **** when it comes to qb's we need to go out and get a guy with the ability to turn this team around.

I could not care any less about his character issues at this point. He would be a top 10 pick if it wasn't for "rumors" so #15 sounds like good enough value to me. He has the most NFL ready arm, and played in a pro style offense.

Marino had character issues and supposed cocaine use in his past as well, but we took a chance because he had all the physical tools to play qb in this league. How did that turn out for us again?

Ricky_Fan34
03-27-2011, 06:42 PM
I'd be ok with Mallett at 15. Obviously I'd prefer to trade down and get either him or Ponder, but if we can't find a trade partner and he is on the board, why not take him?

At some point you have to take a risk on greatness.

giz
03-27-2011, 06:51 PM
he seems too much like henne: heavy footed, strong arm, poor accuracy, and a bit of a prick...... from what i've heard.

Nublar7
03-27-2011, 06:56 PM

Unless that talent(Mallett) would still be on the board in the second round. You don't reach for a player just so you can say you have a first round quarterback.

Wishfishin
03-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Pass. I'm just not sold on the presumption that Mallett is a franchise QB. I'd rather we draft Ponder in the 2nd after a trade down. And if we don't get Ponder, grab Andy Dalton in the later rounds.

Aqua and Orange
03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
This sounds strange, but I am finding myself with the irrational feeling of wanting the team to draft a QB in the first round, regardless of whether it is Ponder, Mallett or Newton.

I feel like it's been forever since this team made a strong approach towards addressing the QB position, and it would be nice to see them actually place the proper amount of weight on it.

TedSlimmJr
03-27-2011, 09:29 PM
The bottom line is you can't be afraid to fail... A front office cannot be afraid of failing at the quarterback position. It simply can't be the reason why you're always afraid to pull the trigger on a quarterback in the 1st round.

Stockpiling mediocre quarterbacks in the 2nd round is not going to get you anywhere...

Even if Miami flops on the pick, they're not going to be any worse off than they've been for the past decade. If they take a quarterback at #15 and he busts, Miami is still going to be a mediocre or bad football team... just as they've been for the past decade by AVOIDING busting out on a quarterback.

If they stockpile a bunch of 2nd round quarterback prospects because they're afraid to pull the trigger, they're still going to be a mediocre or bad football team... just as they've been for the past decade. With the only difference being you're not giving yourself much of a chance by going this route...

The reward for hitting on a franchise quarterback FAR outweighs the risk and consequences of busting on the pick...

I will always forgive a front office for busting out on a quarterback in the 1st round a helluva lot more than I'll forgive constantly passing up quarterbacks in favor of drafting off "percentage", and going the safe route. They know THAT'S how you keep snowing over a fanbase and buying yourself another year...

"Well at least they may have gotten a decent player with so-and-so instead"... "Maybe they'll take a quarterback next year", etc., etc..

That is not the type of drafting that has the best interest of the franchise long term in mind. It's the kind of drafting that has the best interest of your job security on a year by year basis in mind...

A front office has to prove that they understand the importance of the quarterback position, and how critical it is to build your franchise around the quarterback position for better or worse... at least you tried. At least you showed you understand that's how you turn around a stagnant franchise.

The kicker for this regime is the fact that they've already shown two very critical flaws. They don't really have a keen understanding on how to evaluate the quarterback position, and secondly... they don't know how to develope a young quarterback even if they had one worth a piss.

The quarterback position is more important now in the NFL than it's EVER been, and it's always been the most important anyway. The way the rules are set up in the NFL now make it that way. If a quarterback can't experience success in the current era of the NFL with the way the rules are set up, it's mostly all on him.

If you're going to get fired or run out of town on a rail, have it be because you used all the resources at your disposal and exhausted all efforts trying to get the quarterback position solidified longterm... and it just didn't work out...

You don't ever want your legacy to be that you couldn't get the job done because you either failed to recognize the importance of the position, or were just too damn scared to pull the trigger. You're not going to short-cut your way to success in this league, or smoke and mirror your way to being a legitimate contender with gimmicks like the Wildcat..

Don't be afraid to fail... or you already have.

phinfan33
03-27-2011, 09:32 PM
This sounds strange, but I am finding myself with the irrational feeling of wanting the team to draft a QB in the first round, regardless of whether it is Ponder, Mallett or Newton.

I feel like it's been forever since this team made a strong approach towards addressing the QB position, and it would be nice to see them actually place the proper amount of weight on it.It has been forever since the team has made a strong approach towards addressing the QB position...drafting Marino was the last time i can recall us making a strong approach,and that worked out well for us...it's WAYYYYY past time to do it again,and we might as well take that chance...

newlownorder
03-27-2011, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't complain but would rather trade down and still pick up RM.

3rdandinches
03-27-2011, 11:01 PM
C.Ponder, R.Mallett, M.Ingram, M.Pouncy, G.Carimi......

trade back, add the extra pick and grab whats' still there!

hooshoops
03-27-2011, 11:11 PM
The bottom line is you can't be afraid to fail... A front office cannot be afraid of failing at the quarterback position. It simply can't be the reason why you're always afraid to pull the trigger on a quarterback in the 1st round.

Stockpiling mediocre quarterbacks in the 2nd round is not going to get you anywhere...

Even if Miami flops on the pick, they're not going to be any worse off than they've been for the past decade. If they take a quarterback at #15 and he busts, Miami is still going to be a mediocre or bad football team... just as they've been for the past decade by AVOIDING busting out on a quarterback.

If they stockpile a bunch of 2nd round quarterback prospects because they're afraid to pull the trigger, they're still going to be a mediocre or bad football team... just as they've been for the past decade. With the only difference being you're not giving yourself much of a chance by going this route...

The reward for hitting on a franchise quarterback FAR outweighs the risk and consequences of busting on the pick...

I will always forgive a front office for busting out on a quarterback in the 1st round a helluva lot more than I'll forgive constantly passing up quarterbacks in favor of drafting off "percentage", and going the safe route. They know THAT'S how you keep snowing over a fanbase and buying yourself another year...

"Well at least they may have gotten a decent player with so-and-so instead"... "Maybe they'll take a quarterback next year", etc., etc..

That is not the type of drafting that has the best interest of the franchise long term in mind. It's the kind of drafting that has the best interest of your job security on a year by year basis in mind...

A front office has to prove that they understand the importance of the quarterback position, and how critical it is to build your franchise around the quarterback position for better or worse... at least you tried. At least you showed you understand that's how you turn around a stagnant franchise.

The kicker for this regime is the fact that they've already shown two very critical flaws. They don't really have a keen understanding on how to evaluate the quarterback position, and secondly... they don't know how to develope a young quarterback even if they had one worth a piss.

The quarterback position is more important now in the NFL than it's EVER been, and it's always been the most important anyway. The way the rules are set up in the NFL now make it that way. If a quarterback can't experience success in the current era of the NFL with the way the rules are set up, it's mostly all on him.

If you're going to get fired or run out of town on a rail, have it be because you used all the resources at your disposal and exhausted all efforts trying to get the quarterback position solidified longterm... and it just didn't work out...

You don't ever want your legacy to be that you couldn't get the job done because you either failed to recognize the importance of the position, or were just too damn scared to pull the trigger. You're not going to short-cut your way to success in this league, or smoke and mirror your way to being a legitimate contender with gimmicks like the Wildcat..

i don't know slimm...i'm not afraid to fail...but if you were asking me who i think is gonna be the better pro and who i trust a whole lot more to be a difference maker for our team mallet or ingram i'm gonna go ingram all day long...so even 3 years from now unless mallett becomes a franchise qb along the caliber of at least a joe flacco i'm gonna be bummed...

but i don't go for a rb like this every year...if mallet and even ryan matthews who was my top every down back in the draft last year were on the board instead of ingram i would go mallet all day...i just think ingrams SPECIAL...

WaxOn WaxOff
03-27-2011, 11:13 PM
The problem I see with pretty much all the mocks, is that they don't have us drafting any corn-fed lineman. And we all know how they like the corn-fed linemen!

Valandui
03-27-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm down with Mallett or Ponder. Ponder is growing on me more and more.

hooshoops
03-27-2011, 11:37 PM
rumors that ryan mallets days at michigan have him tumbling down boards and potentially out of round 1...evidently character and personality issues the culprits...

don't shoot the messenger

Dogbone34
03-27-2011, 11:45 PM
i still take mallet at #15

beanh8er
03-28-2011, 01:19 AM
rumors that ryan mallets days at michigan have him tumbling down boards and potentially out of round 1...evidently character and personality issues the culprits...

don't shoot the messenger
So rumors about someone from ~3 years ago are affecting someone today. Anyway I know someone that goes to Arkansas and he's partied with Mallet and Mallet has done some booger sugar as a recreational thong. But what else is there to do in Arkansas?

Kdawg954
03-28-2011, 01:57 AM
I mean c'mon guys, Ryan Mallet just doesn't fit what this team is trying to do. First off, he has just too many off the field "issues/rumors" flying for some of it not to be valid. He isn't any kind of athlete and that reflects who he is as a leader. He has choked in big moments.

And despite all of that, we had a pocket passer in Chad Henne and this regime has no clue how to develop him or anybody else for that matter. Mallet is a better prospect than Henne, no question, but do we have the horses to make him a better QB than what Henne is right now? I dunno . . . these guys need a QB that can improvise, a QB that can move around and make plays with his legs. A good athlete, strong work ethic, leader on and OFF the field and keeps his "nose" clean. Ryan Mallet just doesn't fit that description. Whether passing on Mallet because he "lacks" this stuff is an indictment of our front office and what they expect from a QB is definitely up for debate . . . but these are the guys right now, and we need a QB can fit what they want to do. I find it almost impossible to think they would take Ryan Mallet in this draft.

I can see Gabbert, Newton, Ponder, Locker, Kaepernick (hopefully not at 15 or anywhere in the first 4 rounds but I digress) . . . I can't see Mallet. I mean imagine if he is hanging around at 79? People would slander the Dolphins for not making that happen . . . but why would he drop 78 picks??? in a League that has atleast 10 teams that could use upgrades at QB??

Somebody is going to take him, but like Hoops pointed out . . . I'm getting the feeling this guy may drop big time . . . round 3 . . . to a team that already has an established QB in place and can afford to use that draft pick on a guy like Mallet and hope to straighten him out and get value for him later or take over when their QB starts their downhill slide.

Or maybe he goes #1 to Carolina, like PFT suggests he is in the running for. Who really knows, we sure don't . . . all we can do is speculate. The talent is there, but don't underestimate the off the field stuff.

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 09:31 AM
So rumors about someone from ~3 years ago are affecting someone today. Anyway I know someone that goes to Arkansas and he's partied with Mallet and Mallet has done some booger sugar as a recreational thong. But what else is there to do in Arkansas?

evidently issues that started at michigan and have followed him even now...don't you guys think its odd that none of the main draft prognosticators have mallet as a 1st round pick??? why not...he's plenty physically talented enough...there's got to be some underlying issues there

Roonnette
03-28-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't think the rumors are hurting him out of the first round. The lack of athleticism hurts him in draft stock and desirability to teams.

Mallett's first read throws are as good as anyone. It's the second read throws that are suspect, when pocket is collapsing, pressure gets to him, his legs are taken, he is a gamer, has a big arm, and will force throws.

Teams, like Miami, are of the belief that it is better to have a scrambling QB who can buy time and gain yards with legs, or escape the pocket and look down field, rather than a QB who will force throws. On the other side of spectrum are people like me who believe that he makes big plays with his arm, and that's good enough.

So I think athleticism hurts him in draft stock, not the rumors.

TrinidadDolfan
03-28-2011, 10:48 AM

I nominate this for the "perfect post of the year"

Geforce
03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I don't think the rumors are hurting him out of the first round. The lack of athleticism hurts him in draft stock and desirability to teams.

Mallett's first read throws are as good as anyone. It's the second read throws that are suspect, when pocket is collapsing, pressure gets to him, his legs are taken, he is a gamer, has a big arm, and will force throws.

Teams, like Miami, are of the belief that it is better to have a scrambling QB who can buy time and gain yards with legs, or escape the pocket and look down field, rather than a QB who will force throws. On the other side of spectrum are people like me who believe that he makes big plays with his arm, and that's good enough.

So I think athleticism hurts him in draft stock, not the rumors.

I think what Peter King wrote on his Monday Morning QB would have people disagreeing with you on this.

2. The quarterback order is confounded by Ryan Mallett. Some teams, including one with a major quarterback need, are deathly afraid of all the off-field noise about Mallett. Much of it is unsubstantiated, but I was read a report by a personnel man on Mallett the other day, and it was scathing. I think he has just as much of a chance to go in the second round as in the first, and most people in the know think Washington's Jake Locker will be the third quarterback picked, after Gabbert and Newton. After these four? "Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder, or Ponder and Dalton,'' said Mayock. More about Dalton in my Tuesday column. I think he could go anywhere from 25 to 75, and probably more toward the 25 end of things.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/03/27/mmqb/index.html

Roonnette
03-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Teams with QB needs are picking in top 10, save for Vikes who are at 12. First round is 32 long. Of course teams picking in top 10 would be worried about spending top 10 money on an unknown, which rumors essentially are--lack of reliable information. That is especially the case with Panthers, but Ron Rivera openly said they are considering Mallett at #1 overall.

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 11:16 AM
i've heard dalton in the top 40...i'm not seeing it but evidently some teams really like him

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 11:18 AM
Teams with QB needs are picking in top 10, save for Vikes who are at 12. First round is 32 long. Of course teams picking in top 10 would be worried about spending top 10 money on an unknown, which rumors essentially are--lack of reliable information. That is especially the case with Panthers, but Ron Rivera openly said they are considering Mallett at #1 overall.

of course he said that...he's trying to drum up interest and what better way than by naming names

Roonnette
03-28-2011, 11:19 AM
of course he said that...he's trying to drum up interest and what better way than by naming names

Why would he do that if no one is interested in Mallett at #1 overall? Why drum up interest that you may select Mallett at #1?

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Why would he do that if no one is interested in Mallett at #1 overall? Why drum up interest that you may select Mallett at #1?

i think there's a 0.0 percent chance that the panthers would actually take mallet #1 overall...i think he's just keeping the 3 qbs who all have elite physical tools in play...hell throw them all out there as possibilities and see if someone comes fishing for one

thats my read on it anyways...

ckparrothead
03-28-2011, 12:18 PM
I think Ron Rivera says he's thinking about Mallett at #1 overall because he's actually thinking about Mallett as their QB option rather than Newton or Gabbert. You have to. If Cam Newton can have horrible things happen (all of his own doing) in Gainesville, but then turn things around and mature through his year at Blinn College and at Auburn, why is Ryan Mallett not afforded the same courtesy? Is there some dirt to dig up in Mallett's past at Michigan? Absolutely. But the details are important. WHEN those things happened is very important.

TedSlimmJr
03-28-2011, 12:49 PM
i don't know slimm...i'm not afraid to fail...but if you were asking me who i think is gonna be the better pro and who i trust a whole lot more to be a difference maker for our team mallet or ingram i'm gonna go ingram all day long...so even 3 years from now unless mallett becomes a franchise qb along the caliber of at least a joe flacco i'm gonna be bummed...

but i don't go for a rb like this every year...if mallet and even ryan matthews who was my top every down back in the draft last year were on the board instead of ingram i would go mallet all day...i just think ingrams SPECIAL...

You're not the only one who feels that way about Mark Ingram...

However, my point still stands. Ingram could literally turn out to be Emmitt Smith, and have a Hall of Fame career... and he's STILL not going to make a team like Miami a legitimate contender as long as they're trotting out Chad Henne's and Tyler Thigpen's at the quarterback position. It's not going to matter...

Ryan Mallett could turn out to be Drew Bledsoe or Joe Flacco, and THAT'S what's going to make Miami a legitimate contender for the next 10+ years. Mallett is actually a better quarterback prospect than Joe Flacco was... period... for several reasons. Will he be at least the NFL quarterback that Flacco is? That's the chance you have to take if you want to get this turned around. Even if he doesn't, you're still going to be right where you were if Ingram turns out to be Emmitt Smith anyway...

The real issue is that this regime has already chosen the path they want to take. They've already chosen to build this team around a left tackle, and not the quarterback position. They chose to build this team around Jake Long, now all of the sudden it appears they want a quarterback who can move around and play behind a suspect offensive line... it just doesn't make sense.

They'll be getting a terrific football player and surefire prospect if they're smart enough to take Mark Ingram.. and I'd be glad to have him. It's the pick that fits and goes along with the way they chose to build this team from the moment they arrived...

But none of it will ever matter unless they hit on a quarterback. The regime that succeeds is going to be the one that comes in here and hits on a quarterback... doesn't matter what else they do.

All these teams picking ahead of Miami that NEED a quarterback are picking at the top of the draft for a reason...they're bad football teams for a reason, and it's because they don't have a quarterback... Miami is no different.

Flip Tanneflop
03-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Mallett is not only the best player in this draft, he is the only QB worth taking in the 1st round IMHO. If we get him at 15 its a steal. If he is there and we dont take him, I might be finished with this organization until they bring in new people to run this team.

hooshoops
03-28-2011, 01:21 PM
You're not the only one who feels that way about Mark Ingram...

However, my point still stands. Ingram could literally turn out to be Emmitt Smith, and have a Hall of Fame career... and he's STILL not going to make a team like Miami a legitimate contender as long as they're trotting out Chad Henne's and Tyler Thigpen's at the quarterback position. It's not going to matter...

Ryan Mallett could turn out to be Drew Bledsoe or Joe Flacco, and THAT'S what's going to make Miami a legitimate contender for the next 10+ years. Mallett is actually a better quarterback prospect than Joe Flacco was... period... for several reasons. Will he be at least the NFL quarterback that Flacco is? That's the chance you have to take if you want to get this turned around. Even if he doesn't, you're still going to be right where you were if Ingram turns out to be Emmitt Smith anyway...

The real issue is that this regime has already chosen the path they want to take. They've already chosen to build this team around a left tackle, and not the quarterback position. They chose to build this team around Jake Long, now all of the sudden it appears they want a quarterback who can move around and play behind a suspect offensive line... it just doesn't make sense.

They'll be getting a terrific football player and surefire prospect if they're smart enough to take Mark Ingram.. and I'd be glad to have him. It's the pick that fits and goes along with the way they chose to build this team from the moment they arrived...

But none of it will ever matter unless they hit on a quarterback. The regime that succeeds is going to be the one that comes in here and hits on a quarterback... doesn't matter what else they do.

All these teams picking ahead of Miami that NEED a quarterback are picking at the top of the draft for a reason...they're bad football teams for a reason, and it's because they don't have a quarterback... Miami is no different.

i got ya...maybe i just want to take a ingram this year and go get my qb in 2012...but i get where your coming from and it makes sense...no doubt

twg76
03-28-2011, 01:58 PM
trade back, add the extra pick and grab whats' still there!

That's the best option. But if Ingram is there at #15, you can't pass on him. If he gets taken for some reason and you can't trade back, then you have to reach for a QB at 15. But that's the only scenario I see Miami reaching for a QB at the 15th pick. Well, I guess there is the long shot that one of the top two QBs drops to 15th. But that is very unlikely.