PDA

View Full Version : Finsiders Blog: 15 Possibilities at #15

BAMAPHIN 22
03-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Good Chance

*The Dolphins draft Mark Ingram: It seems like every mock draft out there has the Fins taking the Alabama running back. While I donít think itís what will happen, it is a logical fit: the Dolphins need a running back and Ingram is the best available.

*The Dolphins draft Torrey Smith: This is what I came up with in the first version of my mock draft. A wide receiver who can stretch the field and contribute in the return game, Smith is a tougher, more ďfootball playerĒ version of Ted Ginn, Jr.

*The Dolphins trade down to the 20′s: This is probably what I think is the most likely scenario. The Fins, who do not have a second round choice (last yearís Brandon Marshall trade), look to trade back in the first round and pick up a second rounder while doing so. This of course requires one of the teams in the 20′s wanting to trade up, which I think is a possibility. In the 20′s, I see Miami looking to grab an interior offensive lineman like Mike Pouncey or perhaps a running back.

Possible Chance

*The Dolphins trade out of the first round for future picks: Like the last option, Miami could look to trade out of the first round altogether and instead of trying to pick up picks in 2011, just try and collect picks for 2012. This probably wouldnít be the most popular thing to do (we fans love instant gratification) but might make sense.

*The Dolphins draft a defensive player: Speaking of unpopular. There is an absolute chance that Miami looks to help their top-ranked defense with their first round pick. With no elite interior offensive linemen or QBís expected to be available at #15, Jeff Ireland may just look to take the best available player. That player could be a defender.

*The Dolphins draft an offensive tackle: There are several big-name tackles that are expected to be drafted in round one this year and while Miami doesnít seem to need one, this regime has never been one to shy away from a serious change on draft night. Plus, thereís the chance that one of the big-name tackles could have a future at guard, though Iím not entirely sure thatís realistic.

Slim Chance

*The Dolphins get lucky and draft either Cam Newton or Blaine Gabbert: If one of the top two quarterbacks in the draft somehow falls to #15, Iíd be shocked if Miami didnít jump all over them and make a play. That said, with the number of teams looking for help at QB, the odds arenít with the Fins.

*The Dolphins trade up to draft AJ Green or Julio Jones: If the first ten picks or so have gone by and one of the two stud, first round receivers is still available, itís possible that the Fins make a play to try and trade up and grab one of these guys.

*The Dolphins draft Jake Locker: One of the most polarizing figures in this yearís draft, the Washington QB is an interesting name. While I donít think he fits what Miami is looking for at that position, he will more than likely be there when they get set to pick.

For more: http://thefinsiders.com/blog/15-possibilities-at-15/

newlownorder
03-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Could totally see Miami trading out of the 1st round all together depending on how the draft goes.

Say we trade down into the lower part of the 1st round, there are going to be teams that are willing to trade up to grab their QB, again depending on how the draft goes. For example, say a team like Washington (who has been linked with man-crushing Jake Locker and liking Kap) looks at the teams ahead of them in the 2nd round who have not yet taken a QB, and feels it needs to jump ahead of those teams to make sure they lock down the QB of their choice, not saying it will be Locker or Kap, but you get the idea. We could be prime candidates to trade out of the 1st round completely and pickup an early 2nd, two 2nd round picks, a 2nd and a mid round pick, a future draft pick, etc. There is a ton of talent that Miami could use in the 2nd round and 3rd round. Gaining more of those picks and possibly some future picks would make sense to me.

Aqua and Orange
03-28-2011, 04:04 PM
They forgot to mention what I think has an increasing chance of happening: Dolphins select Christian Ponder.

Who am I kidding? They'll trade down and go defense or offensive line.

AZStryker
03-28-2011, 07:30 PM
They forgot to mention what I think has an increasing chance of happening: Dolphins select Christian Ponder.

Who am I kidding? They'll trade down and go defense or offensive line.

If they do that I'd expect a full on riot in South Florida. The cops will probably even let it go on a little while to help send the message.

Kdawg954
03-29-2011, 08:03 AM
DLine is just unacceptable unless they have found a way to trade Starks and Langford for 1st round picks/high 2nd round picks or better.

j-off-her-doll
03-29-2011, 08:54 AM
With the way everything is shaping up - lockout and all - I think I'd be most comfortable trading the 1st for a 1st and 2nd next season.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 09:02 AM
by trading for picks next year your not guaranteeing yourself anything...unless you plan on being the worst team in the league this year (which with sparano and these crappy hires anything is possible i guess) i don't think you'll even sniff andrew luck regardless of what you offer...that may be the cleanest qb prospect to come out in quite a while...

not to mention sparano can't afford to wait til 2012...he's got to find ways to win asap

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Agreed, but I think if you trade out of the 1st round all together you need to recoup at least 2 2nd round picks, or a 2nd, 3rd and high future pick. If you look at the top part of the 2nd round, there is going to be some decent value (til about pick 50 or so). IMO Miami needs to trade down, pick up Mallett (assuming he doesn't go before then) and recoup a 2nd round pick. If Mallett is gone, trade back again, take Kap (who I think he's Sparanos fav at this point) and recoup more picks for this year and next.

datruth55
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
With the way everything is shaping up - lockout and all - I think I'd be most comfortable trading the 1st for a 1st and 2nd next season.

I'd be onboard with that. Stock pile some high draft picks for next year maybe give us a chance at a QB in what will be a better QB class than this IMO.

Chubby
03-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I'd be onboard with that. Stock pile some high draft picks for next year maybe give us a chance at a QB in what will be a better QB class than this IMO.
Definately the next Regime will be excited to have extra picks.
Chubbs

Roman529
03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
I think we will trade down for a later first round pick and a 2nd rounder. I think a team like the Eagles would be a good trade partner. Andy Reid seems to like to move up. I think we will take a RB like Mikel LeShoure and then go after a QB like Ponder or Kaepernick in Round 2.

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
I think we will trade down for a later first round pick and a 2nd rounder. I think a team like the Eagles would be a good trade partner. Andy Reid seems to like to move up. I think we will take a RB like Mikel LeShoure and then go after a QB like Ponder or Kaepernick in Round 2.

i don't think Ponder would make it to that (fictional) 2nd-round pick. i'd probably pick Ponder at #23 and then go with Kendall Hunter or Jordan Todman in round 2.