PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins showing "significant interest" in Alabama RB Mark Ingram

FinAtic8480
03-28-2011, 05:18 PM
A source tells Profootballtalk.com that the Dolphins, Giants, and Patriots are showing "significant interest" in Alabama RB Mark Ingram.
The Dolphins worked out Ingram on Monday, and he may have workouts or visits set with the G-Men and Pats at later dates. In mock drafts, Ingram is widely sent to Miami as the team risks losing Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams to free agency. If the Fins don't bite on Ingram at No. 15 overall, it's possible he could fall deep into the 20s our out of the top 32 altogether.

www.rotoworld.com

Roonnette
03-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Here is a video collection of RBs in the draft to compare style:

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/play/nfl_draft_runningback/j9Am6DUt0vQXzR0t_SgQXmrzeN29NofU

RockyMtnPhinfan
03-28-2011, 05:36 PM
I'd take the Giant's nineteenth and their second (52nd i think) for the chance to get him at 15...........

Spesh
03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
No harm in doing all your homework. Could really see this as a Jared Odrick situation. Get a great offer to trade down, then grab the highest rated player still left on your board.

Seems to be very little chance of Ingram busting. So why not show interest in a solid and productive player?

BostonPhin4
03-28-2011, 08:09 PM
For once let's just identify the BPA at a position of need and go get him rather than trading back and crossing our fingers that our 2nd or 3rd choice might be there later.

Mallet and/or Ingram or bust

Elliott 1
03-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Why not show interest?? It's the darkest smokescreen in the NFL right now.

Nobody has a clue what the Dolphins are going to do. I seriously doubt if they really do either, but I would bet the farm that they aren't drafting a RB in the 1st round.

They will draft a couple in the mid or late rounds and make a move in the belated free agency period if necessary.

I really think they like either Sheets or Hilliard to compete for the #2 and #3 positions.

With about 30 RB's available in free agency this year, there won't be any problem filling the depth of your roster.

Dolphins are no where near as desperate as the media declares.

There is more and more talk of Ingram sliding right out of the 1st round because the Dolphins are the only team that appears really needy at the position. I have a huge problem with all the analysts talking about how the Dolphins are going to draft Ingram and every one is ignoring the charging Rhino.

What does all this mean?? It means that for the same reasons that Ingram may slide and the Dolphins are supposed to be interested, it also means that the Dolphins are going to have little competition when it comes to signing a free agent.

Who is going to get into a bidding war with the Dolphins for D.Williams or Bradshaw or Bush etc.?? Probably nobody.

There are ton of FA RB's out there this year. Ricky and Ronnie on the market as well just makes it easier for the Dolphins to sign whatever RB they like.

dolfan_101
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Bpa this year or bust.

Kdawg954
03-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Been saying it forever . . . Ingram just FITS what Miami is trying to do and they have a major need at the position. Whether they take him or not is another story . . . but you damn right they better be interested in him.

I think both the Giants and the Patriots interest is legit as well . . . but doesn't mean they will take him at their respective spots. I do believe this is the year New England will pull the trigger on guys they want, and Ingram is a guy I think they want.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 07:57 AM
there's no bigger nightmare in this draft for us that i can think of than mark ingram a new england patriot...

RockyMtnPhinfan
03-29-2011, 09:32 AM
there's no bigger nightmare in this draft for us that i can think of than mark ingram a new england patriot...
Yeh but didn't we get caught in that trap with Pat White? It was rumored we took him because we didn't want the pats to get him later in the second round?
I hope this FO doesn't let "who may draft who" figure into their decision. I hope they take the BPA (as long as it is a RB or QB)

WISfinfan13
03-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Just say no to Ingram...Or any first round RB. Did we learn our lesson with Ronnie?

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Could not disagree more.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Just say no to Ingram...Or any first round RB. Did we learn our lesson with Ronnie?

Apparently not. Nor did we learn from Terrell Davis's success, or Blount in Tampa, or Danny Woodhead and BenJarvus, or Starks at GB, or Michael Turner, or the lack of success of Ryan Mathews or Jahvid Best or Spiller last year. We don't learn.

ChambersWI
03-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Apparently not. Nor did we learn from Terrell Davis's success, or Blount in Tampa, or Danny Woodhead and BenJarvus, or Starks at GB, or Michael Turner, or the lack of success of Ryan Mathews or Jahvid Best or Spiller last year. We don't learn.

Best was actually a HUGE part of the Lions offense, and was looking great before turf toe. Ryan Mathews was also hurt early.

I actually looked it up earlier this year and posted on the forum, that while a first round RB is not a necessity, most of the top RBs in the league are early round picks. But a big part of an RB's success is the system he plays in. The Denver system, for the longest time, was a one cut read. RBs like Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns, and Tatum Bell had success in the system.

I don't think Ronnie is fair as he was a good player for us. Not number 2 good (though he had a couple very good seasons derailed by injuries; 2nd season, 3rd season, and 5th season. The last injury really messed with him as he started dancing again.

You can't complain with Mark Ingram IMO. He's a great kid, has a good worth ethic, extremely smart, and does everything asked of him.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Jahvid Best averaged 3.2 yards per carry and barely cracked over 1000 all-purpose yards, in no small part because of nagging injuries all year long. Injuries? Injuries to Jahvid Best you say? There's a shock!

I think it's a great point bringing up how little guys like C.J. Spiller, Jahvid Best and Ryan Mathews were able to ultimately influence their teams.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 10:34 AM
We don't learn anything. We got Marshall when you need field stretchers to win. The model for winning is Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Giants. We need a first grade QB who can stretch the field, and that's not Henne; we need WRs who can stretch the field and separate in endzone, and those are not Marshall and Bess; we need a large smooth target TE and we whiffed on two last draft: Gronkowski and Graham; and we need good blocking up front for a tough 4-4.5 ypa,and for that you don't need a first grade running back: Willie Parker, BenJarvus, Ahmad Bradshaw, Starks. We don't learn anything. (this is just offense.)

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Could not disagree more.

i'm ok with that...mark ingram makes ben jarvis green ellis and that other kid woodhead look like chump change...ellis ran for 1k this last season in new england put ingram in that offense with those gifts he has which are so much better than ellis and woodhead combined and see what happens...

we get torched...end result

and as for naming these average rbs taken later who make plays for teams everyone you named has a top 10 qb...you give me a top 10 nfl qb i'll be ok with an average talent at rb...til then i won't...

Spesh
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I actually looked it up earlier this year and posted on the forum, that while a first round RB is not a necessity, most of the top RBs in the league are early round picks. But a big part of an RB's success is the system he plays in. The Denver system, for the longest time, was a one cut read. RBs like Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis, Reuben Droughns, and Tatum Bell had success in the system.

I think thats the best point made in this thread. In today's NFL its more important to have a successful system then it is to have a stud player. You pointed out Denver's success, but you can also look at Houston(Denver South) or New York Giants. For Houston: one year Steve Slaton looks like a stud, the next Arian Foster loses his mind, and they still have high hopes for Ben Tate. For the Giants: Tiki Barber tears it up then retires, then Brandon Jacobs runs hard then gets injured/loses a step, and Ahmad Bradshaw easily steps in.

With that in mind, you really have to look at the production of backs drafted late compared to some of the top in the league. When Adrian Peterson runs for 1.3k, Peyton Hillis runs for 1.2k, and LeGarrette Blount runs for 1k(and they all average 4.4 yards per carry or more), Is that extra hundred or so yards worth a top pick?
Other factors due play into account(blocking, pass catching, carrying a game, injury prone, season long workhorse), but at the end of the day its just no longer worth it to burn a high pick on running backs. You can get similar or adequate production elsewhere. You might not get the insane homeruns of a Chris Johnson or the physically throwing off tacklers of Peterson, but if you take the draft picks and money to make a successful system you can have a consistent 5 yard carry back.

I'd be annoyed if we took Ingram at 15, but i wouldnt be boycotting games(as we all know some posts will pop up suggesting that). I'd be less annoyed if we took him later in the first. Overall, none of that says anything about him as a player(more complaining over value), and i certainly wouldnt mind him in Dolphins jersey.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 11:24 AM
and as for naming these average rbs taken later who make plays for teams everyone you named has a top 10 qb...you give me a top 10 nfl qb i'll be ok with an average talent at rb...til then i won't...

That's what I said. The model is to get that QB. Look no further than Carolina or SF or the Rams as far as excellent runners without QB.

The problem with Henne is that which is crucial, which is big plays, stretching the field, even if they draft Ingram and improve Oline and get good running production and limit his turnovers.

Look, if we can get that QB in FA, I am OK with Ingram.

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
I think thats the best point made in this thread. In today's NFL its more important to have a successful system then it is to have a stud player. You pointed out Denver's success, but you can also look at Houston(Denver South) or New York Giants. For Houston: one year Steve Slaton looks like a stud, the next Arian Foster loses his mind, and they still have high hopes for Ben Tate. For the Giants: Tiki Barber tears it up then retires, then Brandon Jacobs runs hard then gets injured/loses a step, and Ahmad Bradshaw easily steps in.

With that in mind, you really have to look at the production of backs drafted late compared to some of the top in the league. When Adrian Peterson runs for 1.3k, Peyton Hillis runs for 1.2k, and LeGarrette Blount runs for 1k(and they all average 4.4 yards per carry or more), Is that extra hundred or so yards worth a top pick?
Other factors due play into account(blocking, pass catching, carrying a game, injury prone, season long workhorse), but at the end of the day its just no longer worth it to burn a high pick on running backs. You can get similar or adequate production elsewhere. You might not get the insane homeruns of a Chris Johnson or the physically throwing off tacklers of Peterson, but if you take the draft picks and money to make a successful system you can have a consistent 5 yard carry back.

I'd be annoyed if we took Ingram at 15, but i wouldnt be boycotting games(as we all know some posts will pop up suggesting that). I'd be less annoyed if we took him later in the first. Overall, none of that says anything about him as a player(more complaining over value), and i certainly wouldnt mind him in Dolphins jersey.

Houston and Denver is the same system. Houston RB's didn't do much until Gary Kubiak took over.

vaneasy2338
03-29-2011, 11:34 AM
i'm ok with that...mark ingram makes ben jarvis green ellis and that other kid woodhead look like chump change...ellis ran for 1k this last season in new england put ingram in that offense with those gifts he has which are so much better than ellis and woodhead combined and see what happens...

we get torched...end result

and as for naming these average rbs taken later who make plays for teams everyone you named has a top 10 qb...you give me a top 10 nfl qb i'll be ok with an average talent at rb...til then i won't...Oh don't worry, Hoops...we don't need the Pats to take Mark Ingham for that to happen.

Aqua and Orange
03-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Once I read "A source tells profootballtalk.com..." I stopped taking this as any sort of legitimate report.

Notice there is literally nothing said in there except that the Dolphins are having him work out. That's called interest. Way to state the obvious and try to fake it as a breaking news story, profootballtalk.com...

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 11:37 AM
the problem is because henne stunk up the joint and proved he isn't the guy we once again have to pass up elite talent at other positions and take a qb...cause let me tell ya if henne was the answer and mark ingram was staring us in the face at #15 and we passed on that kind of player at a position of need i would break my tv into 1000 pieces on draft night...you kidding me...no way mark ingram is bad value at #15...ever

i just HATE the fact that we can't get the qb situation handled once and for all...whoever the guy is he better damn well be bad *** at qb if we're gonna let proven year in and year out contenders have a mark ingram just fall into their laps...period

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Oh don't worry, Hoops...we don't need the Pats to take Mark Ingham for that to happen.

you think its bad now...let him join that team...

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 11:44 AM
i just HATE the fact that we can't get the qb situation handled once and for all so we don't have to keep passing up elite talent elsewhere...i mean when do we stop letting elite talent fall in other peoples damn laps...

I think we can in FA.

For example, Skins owe 4th rounder to Eagles for McNabb. Maybe they will trade him for a third, or third and a player, or a third and fourth. If we are of opinion that next year we can get Pryor, Barkley, Weeden, Landry Jones, then McNabb is a good one-shot signing, kinda like Pennington, who many believed was shot as well.

Now, depending on money, they could get both Dahl and Blalock from Falcons to boost running attack, or at least one of them.

Then, they could get Ingram in first. Being that trading for this year's draft picks will probably not be allowed, we'd still have our third, and maybe even a chance to get DeMarco Murray and Ingram. A double whammy. :-)

Then, I'd say you'd have something that resembles success, with tough Oline, #1 running back, and a veteran QB.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
mcnabb??? hell no...his legs are shot and with his legs going so has his game...mcnabb fixes nothing...he just prolongs the agony

vaneasy2338
03-29-2011, 11:46 AM
you think its bad now...let him join that team...Us staying with Henne scares me a lot more than the patriots with Mark Ingham...If Mallett, Newton, or Gabbert aren't there (which is looking more realistic due to the Bengals situation,) I have no problem with us taking Ingham. I have always been an advocate of not taking a RB in the first but the value would be too good. The people that say Ingham isn't an elite back really bother me too. I mean everything except the speed is elite, not to mention the high character off the field.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 12:13 PM
The people that say Ingham isn't an elite back really bother me too. .

No. You are misunderstanding. People are saying that even if he is elite, we don't need an elite RB to win.

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 12:14 PM
No. You are misunderstanding. People are saying that even if he is elite, we don't need an elite RB to win.

which is true IF you have a top 10 QB.

vaneasy2338
03-29-2011, 12:17 PM
No. You are misunderstanding. People are saying that even if he is elite, we don't need an elite RB to win.no i can understand that. i've heard people flat say ingham isn't which elite just is not true

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
which is true IF you have a top 10 QB.

Which is always a requirement on offense.

datruth55
03-29-2011, 12:19 PM
I think we can in FA.

For example, Skins owe 4th rounder to Eagles for McNabb. Maybe they will trade him for a third, or third and a player, or a third and fourth. If we are of opinion that next year we can get Pryor, Barkley, Weeden, Landry Jones, then McNabb is a good one-shot signing, kinda like Pennington, who many believed was shot as well.

Now, depending on money, they could get both Dahl and Blalock from Falcons to boost running attack, or at least one of them.

Then, they could get Ingram in first. Being that trading for this year's draft picks will probably not be allowed, we'd still have our third, and maybe even a chance to get DeMarco Murray and Ingram. A double whammy. :-)

Then, I'd say you'd have something that resembles success, with tough Oline, #1 running back, and a veteran QB.

We have to forget about FA. We have to assume there will be no FA and go into the draft with that mindset. Players lawsuit against the owners won't even be heard until the 6th of April and it may not be resolved before the draft happens. And if the judge favors the NFL owners, which is very likely given the NFLPA is still acting as an entity despite their claim to having decertified, there will be no FA until a new CBA is in place which could be late summer if we're lucky.

And signing McNabb is not a good idea even if he was a FA, trading for him and giving up picks would be a bigger mistake than trading a 2nd for A.J. Feeley was or a 2nd for Daunta Culpepper. McNabb has been horrible for the past two years. IMO the guy is done and shouldn't be anything more than a backup at best. Trading away picks without recouping them got is in this mess in the first place thanks to Wannstedt and Spielman. Saban just followed their lead and traded away pick after pick for "has been" or "never was" QBs. I'd rather take a chance on a QB in the draft than trade for a known piece of garbage. We lost that 2nd for Culpepper, 5th for Joey Harrington, 2nd for Feeley, 5th for Trent Green, 7th for Thigpen...no different than taking Pat White in the 2nd...all wasted picks and trades.

What we need is better evaluation and player development. At least with a draft pick you have a chance to develop him into something useful...with a trade you have no chance.

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Which is always a requirement on offense.

in today's NFL, yeah

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 12:34 PM
We have to forget about FA. We have to assume there will be no FA and go into the draft with that mindset. Players lawsuit against the owners won't even be heard until the 6th of April and it may not be resolved before the draft happens. And if the judge favors the NFL owners, which is very likely given the NFLPA is still acting as an entity despite their claim to having decertified, there will be no FA until a new CBA is in place which could be late summer if we're lucky.

And signing McNabb is not a good idea even if he was a FA, trading for him and giving up picks would be a bigger mistake than trading a 2nd for A.J. Feeley was or a 2nd for Daunta Culpepper. McNabb has been horrible for the past two years. IMO the guy is done and shouldn't be anything more than a backup at best. Trading away picks without recouping them got is in this mess in the first place thanks to Wannstedt and Spielman. Saban just followed their lead and traded away pick after pick for "has been" or "never was" QBs. I'd rather take a chance on a QB in the draft than trade for a known piece of garbage. We lost that 2nd for Culpepper, 5th for Joey Harrington, 2nd for Feeley, 5th for Trent Green, 7th for Thigpen...no different than taking Pat White in the 2nd...all wasted picks and trades.

What we need is better evaluation and player development. At least with a draft pick you have a chance to develop him into something useful...with a trade you have no chance.

yep...i agree with just about all of this...although i do think think that the judge on april 6th is gonna rule in favor of the players...seems like he's gone the players route on many other issues prior

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
no i can understand that. i've heard people flat say ingham isn't which elite just is not true

yeah...and the only thing they have to base it on is that he doesn't have elite top end speed...i'm sorry but the tape tells me that kids an elite prospect all day long...how anyone can watch that michigan state bowl game even and ingrams play and not think this kids special is beyond me...i was giggling over his footwork balance and vision in that game...it's rediculous

Spesh
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Houston and Denver is the same system. Houston RB's didn't do much until Gary Kubiak took over.

Correct, which is why i put in the jab about Denver South. I included them on the list because they are a different team, though with the same system.

LouPhinFan
03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
yep...i agree with just about all of this...although i do think think that the judge on april 6th is gonna rule in favor of the players...seems like he's gone the players route on many other issues prior

I'm pretty sure its a different judge this time around. Its a lady judge because the other guy recused himself. All bets are off on how she rules.

I think in all likelyhood that if we somehow can't get out of #15 and both Newton and Gabbert are gone then Ingram will be the pick. I'm starting to think that if the regime doesn't take a QB in the first round, then they're not going to take a QB at all (or at least not before the 6th round). They way they've been talking lately about Henne means that if they can't get one of the top tier QBs this year then they'll let Henne play out his contract and try and get a top tier QB next year when we can trade players AND picks.

Its just a feeling I've been getting after recent comments by Sparano and others.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure its a different judge this time around. Its a lady judge because the other guy recused himself. All bets are off on how she rules.

I think in all likelyhood that if we somehow can't get out of #15 and both Newton and Gabbert are gone then Ingram will be the pick. I'm starting to think that if the regime doesn't take a QB in the first round, then they're not going to take a QB at all (or at least not before the 6th round). They way they've been talking lately about Henne means that if they can't get one of the top tier QBs this year then they'll let Henne play out his contract and try and get a top tier QB next year when we can trade players AND picks.

Its just a feeling I've been getting after recent comments by Sparano and others.

is that right??? huh...well i stand corrected than

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 12:50 PM
Correct, which is why i put in the jab about Denver South. I included them on the list because they are a different team, though with the same system.

must have missed that, sorry

ryanosaur2000
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
It does not really matter who we have at RB until whatever was ailing the o-line last year is remedied. In my opinion that is why we need to trade down and pick up a pulling G late in the 1st or in the 2nd. RBs can be gotten in the 2nd and 3rd round and still be very productive. Having said all that, if we cannot trade down then I do see us taking Ingram at 15 and that will change of the complexion of our FA needs.

twg76
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
If Miami trades down, and misses on Ingram, they will likely grab someone like Ponder or Locker first. That means they get their RB in the 2nd or 3rd round. They might still get a shot at Leshoure or Williams. But if not, I like Taiwan Jones and Jordan Todman. Those could be great options.

sinPHIN
03-29-2011, 10:43 PM

ingram is a much better back imo, and better than mathews, and spiller