PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Todman has the skills

JRoX85
03-29-2011, 11:22 AM
This kid is tougher an heck runs between tackles also has the ability to break it outside. Great vision and awareness. I wouldnt mind taking him in rd 3 and go after Mallett in 1.. His best stat 0 fumbles in 616 attempts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y03HQc0xi4Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgIkcHcPz8s&feature=related

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 11:54 AM
watch out for the patriots...if they pass up ingram at #17 for dline i'm hearing that they are giving todman a ton of love...i think he's a 3rd round value but new england may pony up one of those 2nds they have to make sure they get him

JRoX85
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah I have been hearing that a lot as well but wouldn't it be nice to trade down in rd 1 to get mallett an snag this kid in the second. He has full time back potential and good speed

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
i coukd have sworn watching him at uconn that he was a 190 lb guy on a like 5 ft 11 inch frame...his body was much better than i expected at the combine...5 ft 9 and 200 plus lbs...i'm still concerned about all those carries at uconn over 500 in the last 2 years but i feel much better about his physical makeup from a durability stand point

JRoX85
03-29-2011, 12:55 PM
exactly an 0 fumbles is the best part he runs 4.45 40 proved he could catch, and took a beating in college running between the tackles, thats where he earned most of his yards. like it's been said he is tougher than S***. I think he could compete day one for a starting job if he stays healthy, but he has yet to have an injury.. I know your high on Ingram but I can't justify taking a back in Rd 1 when this is a half decent class. I think if we pass on Ingram he may fall to the second where we might be able to trade back up and snag him, but I am very high on Todman.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Todman is my #1 back of the backs I classify as "undersized", "scat backs", or "change of pace" backs.. This is a kid who ran out of the traditional I-Form a substantial amount, as opposed to most of these backs who only ran out of the shotgun playing in these spread offenses.

Running out of the I-Form teaches you how to anticipate holes and read blocks on the pro level, but also how to man up and block in pass protection... which is one of the first things that gets running backs cut in training camp if they can't perform this function. You have to be able to create some yards on your own as an "I-back", which is what you'll have to do in the NFL.

Todman has a leg up on all of the backs in this draft who played in spread offenses before any of them even step on the field... without even factoring in how he stacks up in terms of physical talent and skill.

The main thing I always look at is ball security with running backs... and the 0 fumbles which has already been touched on is what immediately makes him a legitimate fixture on my draft board.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Reminds me of Shady McCoy. I like him a lot.

JRoX85
03-29-2011, 02:47 PM
im Telling you this kid remind me a lot of MJD with a little smaller thighs but more speed

rd 1 Mallett
rd 2 Titus Young
rd 3 Todman

That would put our offense over the top

justdev7
03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
Todman is my #1 back of the backs I classify as "undersized", "scat backs", or "change of pace" backs.. This is a kid who ran out of the traditional I-Form a substantial amount, as opposed to most of these backs who only ran out of the shotgun playing in these spread offenses.

Running out of the I-Form teaches you how to anticipate holes and read blocks on the pro level, but also how to man up and block in pass protection... which is one of the first things that gets running backs cut in training camp if they can't perform this function. You have to be able to create some yards on your own as an "I-back", which is what you'll have to do in the NFL.

Todman has a leg up on all of the backs in this draft who played in spread offenses before any of them even step on the field... without even factoring in how he stacks up in terms of physical talent and skill.

The main thing I always look at is ball security with running backs... and the 0 fumbles which has already been touched on is what immediately makes him a legitimate fixture on my draft board.

I really wonder if he could be more of a starter than a change of pace guy? I am leaning towards yes. If the guy can handle the load that he has then I think you have to consider it. Much Like Quiz Rodgers, just because he's small doesn't mean he can't hang. He's a really interesting guy that could end up being a huge steal.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
I really wonder if he could be more of a starter than a change of pace guy? I am leaning towards yes. If the guy can handle the load that he has then I think you have to consider it. Much Like Quiz Rodgers, just because he's small doesn't mean he can't hang. He's a really interesting guy that could end up being a huge steal.

That wasn't my point... just because a back is smaller doesn't mean I automatically view him as a guy that can't start in the NFL.

I classify running backs into 3 categories on my draft board based on size and skillset in order to get a profile. In other words, two backs of the same stature don't always have the same skillset.. you have to actually watch the player and study the film, which I've done.

Conversely, carrying the load in the Big-East or Pac-10 does NOT equate to carrying the load in the NFL... Nor does sharing carries in college, or failing to even be the starting running back in college doesn't preclude you from being able to carry the load in the NFL or become a team's starting running back..

justdev7
03-29-2011, 04:18 PM
That wasn't my point... just because a back is smaller doesn't mean I automatically view him as a guy that can't start in the NFL.

I classify running backs into 3 categories on my draft board based on size and skillset in order to get a profile. In other words, two backs of the same stature don't always have the same skillset.. you have to actually watch the player and study the film, which I've done.

Conversely, carrying the load in the Big-East or Pac-10 does NOT equate to carrying the load in the NFL... Nor does sharing carries in college, or failing to even be the starting running back in college doesn't preclude you from being able to carry the load in the NFL or become a team's starting running back..

Fair enough. I guess you could classify a guy like Jamal Charles as a change of pace guy as well. What I'm getting at is i think he's a guy who could take the majority of the carries if we have two backs unlike a guy like Dion Lewis(who I really like) or Derick Locke. I don't think he could be a guy like Mendenhal, Foster, or Jackson who caries the ball upwards of 300 times a year.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Fair enough. I guess you could classify a guy like Jamal Charles as a change of pace guy as well. What I'm getting at is i think he's a guy who could take the majority of the carries if we have two backs unlike a guy like Dion Lewis(who I really like) or Derick Locke. I don't think he could be a guy like Mendenhal, Foster, or Jackson who caries the ball upwards of 300 times a year.

Dion Lewis does not have the same skillset as Derrick Locke despite having similar stature, they're two different backs that will have to be used differently. Dion Lewis and Quizz Rodgers are closer to having the same skillset, along with similar stature.

If you're going to approach your running back position with an attack that features a tandem, you want two guys with different skillsets to complement each other. You want a speed back who's a THREAT to the defense when he's on the field, who can hit the homerun for you in a close game, who also serves as a receiving threat out of the backfield... and a power back who can pick up the tough yards inside and bleed the clock when you're trying to protect a lead.

If your running attack is going to be built around a feature back who gets the majority of the carries (upwards of 300+ carries a season), you want a balanced back who is a blend of speed and power, solid pass catcher out of the backfield, who has the skills to remain on the field for 3 downs due to his superb pass protection and ability to pick up the blitz. You can spell this back with a "change of pace" back with the skillset of your choice, be it a speed back, a power back, or another balanced back.

Certain backs are better at running out of single back sets.... other backs are better running with a lead blocker in front of them. Certain backs are one-cut and go runners who fit best in a zone blocking scheme and favor the cutback... other runners are better at reading blocks, and have the ability to anticipate blocks before they happen, which make better runners in traffic...

You have to identify which backs have the skillset you're looking for to fit your individual offense. A back who experiences success in a zone blocking scheme and rushes for 1,500 yards, doesn't mean he'd have that same success for another team or in another system. All of Denver's backs from the Shanahan era are prime examples...

If you have a system that makes the running back, you look for "value" at the position and can get just about any back to produce for you IF he has the skillset to match. If you need a back who needs to create his own yards and rely on elite running instincts and vision, you're not going to get very far value shopping at the running back position.

There's a difference between elite backs and average backs at the running back position just like there is at every other position...

JRoX85
03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Well at least the real draft guru's are on board with my Todman pick.. This kid will be special pending some major injury. Mark my words. I would be much more comfortable with him in the later rounds than Ingram in 1, sry hoops and yes Ingram is special as well just not worth it in rd 1.

beanh8er
03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
im Telling you this kid remind me a lot of MJD with a little smaller thighs but more speed

rd 1 Mallett
rd 2 Titus Young
rd 3 Todman

That would put our offense over the top
2/3 of the way correct. Move Todman into the second (I guess) and Denarius Moore (faster and just overall better player than Titus) in the third.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Well at least the real draft guru's are on board with my Todman pick.. This kid will be special pending some major injury. Mark my words. I would be much more comfortable with him in the later rounds than Ingram in 1, sry hoops and yes Ingram is special as well just not worth it in rd 1.

i don't see how you can say a guys special but not worth pick #15 in round one but to each his own...todman has grown on me since the combine...i wouldn't hate the pick in round 3 for us

JRoX85
03-29-2011, 11:15 PM
I was just saying special he is a special back but special backs can also be found in later rounds RB's are a dime a dozen in this league. The chances on hitting on one far outweigh the chances on hitting on a QB. Yes Ingram is a workhourse, he can handle the load and has a great skill set, but go far to much hype coming from Alabama. Todman can do the same things but went to an up and coming school so he didn't get as much hype till the scouts saw him at combine. I like Ingram and I like Todman I just think Ingram is kind of high risk high reward, and Todman seems to be all reward in a later round. You are one of the better draft guys on the board so for you to agree means a lot lol..

justdev7
03-30-2011, 03:57 AM
Dion Lewis does not have the same skillset as Derrick Locke despite having similar stature, they're two different backs that will have to be used differently. Dion Lewis and Quizz Rodgers are closer to having the same skillset, along with similar stature.

If you're going to approach your running back position with an attack that features a tandem, you want two guys with different skillsets to complement each other. You want a speed back who's a THREAT to the defense when he's on the field, who can hit the homerun for you in a close game, who also serves as a receiving threat out of the backfield... and a power back who can pick up the tough yards inside and bleed the clock when you're trying to protect a lead.

If your running attack is going to be built around a feature back who gets the majority of the carries (upwards of 300+ carries a season), you want a balanced back who is a blend of speed and power, solid pass catcher out of the backfield, who has the skills to remain on the field for 3 downs due to his superb pass protection and ability to pick up the blitz. You can spell this back with a "change of pace" back with the skillset of your choice, be it a speed back, a power back, or another balanced back.

Certain backs are better at running out of single back sets.... other backs are better running with a lead blocker in front of them. Certain backs are one-cut and go runners who fit best in a zone blocking scheme and favor the cutback... other runners are better at reading blocks, and have the ability to anticipate blocks before they happen, which make better runners in traffic...

You have to identify which backs have the skillset you're looking for to fit your individual offense. A back who experiences success in a zone blocking scheme and rushes for 1,500 yards, doesn't mean he'd have that same success for another team or in another system. All of Denver's backs from the Shanahan era are prime examples...

If you have a system that makes the running back, you look for "value" at the position and can get just about any back to produce for you IF he has the skillset to match. If you need a back who needs to create his own yards and rely on elite running instincts and vision, you're not going to get very far value shopping at the running back position.

There's a difference between elite backs and average backs at the running back position just like there is at every other position...

I think Todman is faster than quick and Rodgers is quicker than fast. And the only real similarity I see between Locke and Lewis is that they are small, fast, and less sturdy than a guy like Quiz Rodgers.

I really like Dion Lewis as the change of pace guy. Imagine Dion Lewis with a guy like Allen Bradford. Can you say thunder and lightning