PDA

View Full Version : Draft Winds - Ryan Mallett Special

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

You are commanded to read it!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/hypnotoad-1.gif

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Mallett.............two words:

PICK HIM.

End of story.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/rt_parrothead2-1.jpg

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Yeay!!! Finally!

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 01:41 PM
One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Mallett has the "3 second rule" down. Now, we mostly all know about the 3 second clock used in practice, which QB's need to get rid of the ball within 3 seconds. Mallett already has this mental clock. After 3 seconds he has already released the football. If not he either will step up in the pocket to create a bit more time to check down or will "scramble" out of the pocket to find the open receiver. Now, while Mallett isn't going to win any foot races, he knows how to create a bit more time in the pocket to find his men. This is extremely important for a non-mobile QB to do. All the greats know how to move in the pocket to create space. Mallett knows how to do this.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 01:47 PM
One thing that wasn't mentioned is that Mallett has the "3 second rule" down. Now, we mostly all know about the 3 second clock used in practice, which QB's need to get rid of the ball within 3 seconds. Mallett already has this mental clock. After 3 seconds he has already released the football. If not he either will step up in the pocket to create a bit more time to check down or will "scramble" out of the pocket to find the open receiver. Now, while Mallett isn't going to win any foot races, he knows how to create a bit more time in the pocket to find his men. This is extremely important for a non-mobile QB to do. All the greats know how to move in the pocket to create space. Mallett knows how to do this.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with this assessment. Ryan Mallett relies on his feel for pressure, rather than a clock in his head, and that to me is a very good thing. Quarterbacks are supposed to feel pressure and learn to handle it. If you go out and watch non-Henne quarterbacks out there in the league, ones that aren't trained by the Miami Dolphins' buzzer-obsessed coaches, those quarterbacks put on their big boy pants and operate in the pocket however they see fit, until they feel pressure coming and then they do something about it.

That was what was so remarkable about Mallett's "Under Pressure" tape. What you're describing is phantom pressure, as in nobody is actually pressuring the guy but because he knows he's held onto the ball a little long, he's scrambling around like he's got someone on his tail. Blaine Gabbert does that a lot, he's taught to. Cam Newton is taught to. I don't think Ryan Mallett was taught to handle the pocket in that manner and I'm glad of it for him.

The three second buzzer in a quarterback's head are like training wheels. You've got to take them off if you want to do any serious riding.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Dude, this is your most glorious work to date. This deserves an award. An absolute gem, a must read.

BostonPhin4
03-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Can someone please send hypnotoad in am email to Ireland commanding him to pick Mallet? Pretty please.

This kid is far to good physically and mentally(on the field) to pass up on for "character issues". So he likes to do a little blow now and then, it worked out fine with Marino.

I don't care who thinks #15 is to early for him either, why not go get the best guy we can at our earliest opportunity rather than trade back for "value" and cross our fingers he will still be there when we pick. When we all know we will lose out on Mallet, and end up with another bum or long term project like Kaepernick, or Tyrod Failure.

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
The reason I say this is when watching the film, Mallett is releasing the football within 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, when he has a man to get it to. If Mallett feels pressure or can't find a man open, he does what he has to do. By no means do I mean to say that Mallett knows that after 3 seconds Mallett always gets rid of the football, like Henne. What I'm seeing is that after 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, Mallett either has the ball gone already, or will take a step up in the pocket or scramble out. This doesn't mean that he's feeling phantom pressure, it means that in his head he knows he needs to create more time to find the open man and does it. Not that I'm not saying Mallett is Marino at all, but Marino wasn't a mobile QB either and Marino had the same awareness in the pocket. He knew he couldn't outrun anyone, but he knew how to move around in the pocket, I'm saying Mallett already has a good awareness of how to move in the pocket.

Edit: I'm already 3 minutes into the bad decision part of the video and have counted 6 times where Mallett has the ball gone in 3 seconds or has moved up or around the pocket. Not a bad thing, good thing.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
The reason I say this is when watching the film, Mallett is releasing the football within 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, when he has a man to get it to. If Mallett feels pressure or can't find a man open, he does what he has to do. By no means do I mean to say that Mallett knows that after 3 seconds Mallett always gets rid of the football, like Henne. What I'm seeing is that after 3 seconds under normal pressure circumstances, Mallett either has the ball gone already, or will take a step up in the pocket or scramble out. This doesn't mean that he's feeling phantom pressure, it means that in his head he knows he needs to create more time to find the open man and does it. Not that I'm not saying Mallett is Marino at all, but Marino wasn't a mobile QB either and Marino had the same awareness in the pocket. He knew he couldn't outrun anyone, but he knew how to move around in the pocket, I'm saying Mallett already has a good awareness of how to move in the pocket.

Edit: I'm already 3 minutes into the bad decision part of the video and have counted 6 times where Mallett has the ball gone in 3 seconds or has moved up or around the pocket. Not a bad thing, good thing.

I admit, it's a subtle difference. I like guys that get the ball out. That's a good thing. It shows the speed of your mental processing and it shows decisiveness. Mallett seems decisive, and that's good. And I always love guys that get the ball out. I believe that's ultimately what that 3 second buzzer is supposed to help a quarterback get the hang of, but the problem is if you really need it, that's not a good thing. Then again, who knows. Maybe it's just Henne that can't process the field quickly enough in general.

I like guys that get the ball out and I like guys that start to feel the ticking of a clock after so long and they still haven't done anything with the ball. But, to a degree. I do believe that when you start scrambling around not because you've felt a threat to the pocket, not because you know there's a blitzer coming from a certain direction with not a lot of hope blocking him, but just because you feel the clock ticking...that to me is the very definition of phantom pressure. I really have a bad taste for it, but I know a lot of kids in college are coached that way, so sometimes it's hard to hold it against them, as is the case with Blaine Gabbert (for me). I just don't want them walking into the pros thinking that's what they should do. When I watch Tom Brady play, some of the best throws I've seen him make especially back in 2007 were ones he could just stand in the pocket all day and the OL would protect him. If you're feeling phantom pressure, you're not giving your offensive line a chance to be great for you, and help you make a big play. As soon as you break the pocket, the angles for OL blockers go up in smoke, and the defensive players now have you in sight.

What I was trying to get across in that Mallett video is he only felt phantom pressure I believe on ONE of those pass attempts. Every other one, if you see him trying to deal with pressure, it's because he senses it.

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 02:22 PM
I admit, it's a subtle difference. I like guys that get the ball out. That's a good thing. It shows the speed of your mental processing and it shows decisiveness. Mallett seems decisive, and that's good. And I always love guys that get the ball out. I believe that's ultimately what that 3 second buzzer is supposed to help a quarterback get the hang of, but the problem is if you really need it, that's not a good thing. Then again, who knows. Maybe it's just Henne that can't process the field quickly enough in general.

I like guys that get the ball out and I like guys that start to feel the ticking of a clock after so long and they still haven't done anything with the ball. But, to a degree. I do believe that when you start scrambling around not because you've felt a threat to the pocket, not because you know there's a blitzer coming from a certain direction with not a lot of hope blocking him, but just because you feel the clock ticking...that to me is the very definition of phantom pressure. I really have a bad taste for it, but I know a lot of kids in college are coached that way, so sometimes it's hard to hold it against them, as is the case with Blaine Gabbert (for me). I just don't want them walking into the pros thinking that's what they should do. When I watch Tom Brady play, some of the best throws I've seen him make especially back in 2007 were ones he could just stand in the pocket all day and the OL would protect him. If you're feeling phantom pressure, you're not giving your offensive line a chance to be great for you, and help you make a big play. As soon as you break the pocket, the angles for OL blockers go up in smoke, and the defensive players now have you in sight.

What I was trying to get across in that Mallett video is he only felt phantom pressure I believe on ONE of those pass attempts. Every other one, if you see him trying to deal with pressure, it's because he senses it.

LOL. Dude, we are coming with the same conclusion but at different angles. Basically I think we are both trying to say is that he's not a slave to the 3 second clock, and has a natural feel for timing and pressure.

Edit: The difference between Mallett and Henne is that Henne is a slave the the 3 second clock. He knows that at 3 seconds he has to get rid of the ball no matter what, which leads to the throw aways or the poor ball management. What Mallett does is naturally accept what the defense gives him.

LouPhinFan
03-29-2011, 02:24 PM
CK, do you think there's any truth to the rumor that Mallett will slip out of the first round?

damanref10
03-29-2011, 02:30 PM
LOL. Dude, we are coming with the same conclusion but at different angles. Basically I think we are both trying to say is that he's not a slave to the 3 second clock, and has a natural feel for timing and pressure.

Edit: The difference between Mallett and Henne is that Henne is a slave the the 3 second clock. He knows that at 3 seconds he has to get rid of the ball no matter what, which leads to the throw aways or the poor ball management. What Mallett does is naturally accept what the defense gives him.

just a thought here,
Henne was coached up to be a pro with the "3 second and out" mentality.... why wouldn't our coaching staff coach Mallet up with the same idea?

Obviously you hope they dont, but tigers dont change their stripes........

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 02:34 PM
well maybe it is all a smear campaign...seems odd to me that guys like mayock and kiper etc though wouldn't have a pretty good understanding and neither of them see mallet as a 1st rounder...

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 02:37 PM
well maybe it is all a smear campaign...seems odd to me that guys like mayock and kiper etc though wouldn't have a pretty good understanding and neither of them see mallet as a 1st rounder...

You know, When Mayock and Kiper put this much work into a published article about Mallett, then we can bring them into conversation. For now, I trust CK over any of them. Universal Draft has done a mind blowing work with this article, and the rest of the experts can svck on that as far as I'm concerned.

BostonPhin4
03-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Listen we could all sit here and argue about the ways Mallet is great but........ Wait actually I like that idea.
- strong arm who has the strength to throw the ball all over the field while still remaining fairly accurate
- improved decision making, although he could still improve when under pressure.
- not fast but has a great "3 second clock", which has helped him get better in terms of taking sacks
- comes from a pro-style offense and is used to taking snaps under center(which gives him a leg up on the other top qb prospects)
- doesn't have perfect mechanics but they are vastly improved from a year ago and worlds ahead of Newton, Kaepernick, Tyrod Failure Ect.
- has a good history when it comes to injuries which gives him the advantage over Chad Pennington Jr. Sorry I mean Christian Ponder.

Now for some cons to balance my post out
- May have at one time in his life done some booger sugar.
- Isn't the hardest worker in the world according to some(although he seems to have improved many aspects of him game) Must just be chance it couldn't be him working to improve because all I ever hear are knocks to his work ethic.
- Is a big meanie head

Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the Miami Dolphins Qb of the future and savior for us all........ Colin Kaepernick!!!!! (crickets with a small golf clap in background)

*slams head against wall and starts counting down to next years draft.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 02:41 PM
CK, do you think there's any truth to the rumor that Mallett will slip out of the first round?

I do not know. But I think teams are playing this one, in particular, close to the vest. Some teams (that need QBs) are going to look at Mallett and think he's the best passer in the Draft. That's a powerful motivator to get you to do what it takes to see him in your camp.

I think that whatever you hear out there, whether it's about Mallett rising or about Mallett falling...you take with a grain of salt.

This much I do take seriously, and that is Ron Rivera's officially naming him among the 8 players they are considering at #1 overall. That's just NOT something you do if you don't think he's worthy of that value. That one particular bit of news actually affected me as far as figuring out where Mallett is going to go. I believe Mallett is right in Ken Whisenhunt's wheelhouse and I wouldn't be surprised if he took him, either in a trade down...or even at #5.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Mallett has 90% of his work done before the ball is snapped... this is called "reading" a defense, it all happens pre-snap. This is why he's not a prisoner of his own perceived "lack" of athleticism, and why he's able to produce at an eye-popping rate against the most physical and sophisticated defensive schemes college football can conjure up to throw at a quarterback.

He KNOWS he can make the required throw with surgical precision regardless, any throw.

Post-snap is where you see the flaws, which CK did an excellent job of explaining. When you already have 90% of your work done, you've already visualized the play unfold in your mind's eye... When an unexpected, or unconventional event (defensive lineman dropping back into coverage, etc.) takes place during the process of "going through you progressions" (post-snap), that's when a quarterback who can't run around and extend a play with his feet can be put in a pickle.

That's where Mallett is going to have to change his game a little.. He's going to have to settle for the checkdown or hot read... which is something he admittedly doesn't prefer.

Every quarterback struggles with more guys in coverage and less guys rushing him, as opposed to vice versa. Ryan Mallett can deal with pressure, and he can deal with it better than any quarterback in this draft in my opinion.

What you don't want to see a quarterback struggle with is PERCEIVED pressure, or "phantom" pressure.. pressure that isn't there. Mallett doesn't even react to perceived pressure, he only reacts to a legitimate and imminent threat...

Miami can't pass this quarterback up with the 15th pick if they ever intend to amount to anything. I'd gladly let anybody in front of me have their Blaine Gabberts and Cam Newtons... and watch this guy fall right into my lap.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 02:46 PM

Yeah, I wonder that too. And then I think about the "fact" that Ryan Mallett has never been voted a team captain at Arkansas, according to Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout boys, and how this reflects poorly on his leadership ability...and suddenly I realize that sometimes people are just full of it, joining in a herd mentality based on not a lot in particular, with zero fact checking. I mean even BASIC fact checking. Turn on an Arkansas game, there's Mallett at the coin flip with the rest of the team captains. Not saying I haven't been guilty of it in the past as well. It just is what it is.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 02:49 PM
You know, When Mayock and Kiper put this much work into a published article about Mallett, then we can bring them into conversation. For now, I trust CK over any of them. Universal Draft has done a mind blowing work with this article, and the rest of the experts can svck on that as far as I'm concerned.

my point being that mayock and kiper have interactions with gms and scouts every day that none of us have access to...you would think they'd be getting some info that this is all overblown...god knows the kids got some rediculous throwing talents...i know that...40 yard lasers...so why isn't he a lock 1st rounder to them???

but i do get that this fits your stance on mallet...

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 02:51 PM
just a thought here,
Henne was coached up to be a pro with the "3 second and out" mentality.... why wouldn't our coaching staff coach Mallet up with the same idea?

Obviously you hope they dont, but tigers dont change their stripes........

Simple, Henne has been told to get rid of the ball after three seconds because he struggles with pressure. Mallett already has the 3 second rule understood but its natural to him. Meaning he creates time based on what the d gives him. For example, Im a teacher and when I first started I had to write up each lesson plan because the details didn't come natural to me. Now, I have internalized the thought process of writing a lesson plan so I don't have to always write it down. It comes natural to me. Pressure and getting rid of the ball comes natural to Mallett. Mallett doesn't have to think about it, he has adapted to what he is given.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Those relationships are a little more at arm's length than you'd think. It's a symbiotic relationship in some ways, but there's also a certain amount of knowing what to hold back and why.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I wonder that too. And then I think about the "fact" that Ryan Mallett has never been voted a team captain at Arkansas, according to Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout boys, and how this reflects poorly on his leadership ability...and suddenly I realize that sometimes people are just full of it, joining in a herd mentality based on not a lot in particular, with zero fact checking. I mean even BASIC fact checking. Turn on an Arkansas game, there's Mallett at the coin flip with the rest of the team captains. Not saying I haven't been guilty of it in the past as well. It just is what it is.

Who the hell said Ryan Mallett wasn't a team captain? That right there tells you they haven't watched the kid play. Not only that, they haven't even watched so much as an Arkansas Razorback coin-toss...

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 02:55 PM
what about injury concerns with mallet...i've seen him take a ton of hits where i didn;'t think he'd get back up not because i didn't think he was tough but because his legs and lower body were always in such odd positions...the kind of things that blow out knees etc

it's probably just that i'm more concerned given his height and length that he's gonna have a hard time protecting his gumby like limbs...not that its anything i wouldn't take him over...

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
it's an interesting read...i've known for quite some time on the field he's a much better prospect than chad henne...i just still don't get that no one in the media is saying bs out loud on all these rumors

i wouldn't be upset with him at #15...i definitely think his physical talents warrant the pick more than christian ponder...although minnesota at #12 may be thinking mallet also

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 02:59 PM
Who the hell said Ryan Mallett wasn't a team captain? That right there tells you they haven't watched the kid play. Not only that, they haven't even watched so much as an Arkansas Razorback coin-toss...

Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632241

Intangibles: Some have concerns over his maturity level. Has a brash personality that has caused some to question whether he possesses the leadership to handle an NFL huddle. Was never voted a team captain with the Razorbacks despite the fact that quarterbacks are often pushed by coaching staffs as such. Very confident in his own talent and early in his career wasn't known for his dedication to the film room. Arrested for public intoxication on March 1, 2009, in Fayetteville.

They're good people and they traffic through so much information on so many players, oversights happen. I think I even know how it happened. If you manage to find Mallett's official Arkansas bio page there's no mention of his being a team captain two years in a row. But they do mention it on other players' bio pages like DeMarcus Love.

But so many people pay attention to what they write and the information they gather, it's just funny how many places that bit of disinformation flowed through to, and I only just caught wind of it yesterday.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
what about injury concerns with mallet...i've seen him take a ton of hits where i didn;'t think he'd get back up not because i didn't think he was tough but because his legs and lower body were always in such odd positions...the kind of things that blow out knees etc

it's probably just that i'm more concerned given his height and length that he's gonna have a hard time protecting his gumby like limbs...not that its anything i wouldn't take him over...

Enter the zebras with their little yellow shields...

Seriously, half the hits I've seen Mallett take I keep thinking to myself, that would be illegal in the NFL. They would flag that.

Boomer
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Mike Mayock thinks Jake Locker's the 2nd best QB in the draft. Some teams have been asking him to work out as a safety.

That right there tells me all I need to know.

And Boston Phin4.......Mallett is ridiculously hard working. I've not encountered a player who will outwork him in this years draft. Maybe Rock Carmichael. So this stuff about him not working hard is lies.Turst me. I spent HOURS poring over articles, cuttings, emails to people, etc. Anything else is just a lie.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM

I've seen Dan Marino tear his achilles without even being touched. I've seen an athletic beast with tree trunks for legs like Daunte Culpepper annihilate all 3 ligaments in his knee scrambling for a 1st down. I've seen Carson Palmer and Tom Brady get their knees blown out by standing firmly in the pocket and having a guy launch at their knees...

If you're going to get injured, you're going to get injured... Mallett will be protected in the NFL more than he ever was in the SEC.

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Ehh, he wears a knee brace, he's fine. Lol. I don't have any more concern about injury than gabbert if that makes sense.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Enter the zebras with their little yellow shields...

Seriously, half the hits I've seen Mallett take I keep thinking to myself, that would be illegal in the NFL. They would flag that.

yeah 15 yard penalties i understand but my qbs legs ripped off cause they're exposed too much concerns me...again though just thinking out loud here...nothing i would say not gonna take him due to...

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 03:04 PM
I've seen Dan Marino tear his achilles without even being touched. I've seen an athletic beast with tree trunks for legs like Daunte Culpepper annihilate all 3 ligaments in his knee scrambling for a 1st down. I've seen Carson Palmer and Tom Brady get their knees blown out by standing firmly in the pocket and having a guy launch at their knees...

If you're going to get injured, you're going to get injured... Mallett will be protected in the NFL more than he ever was in the SEC.

yeah... true

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
I just really think that the way the NFL is going they're making it all very QB friendly. And people try and figure out do the changes favor mobile guys that can make more plays with their feet, or the immobile guys because they can stay in the pocket and not get hit. I say, it favors both. More and more it's going to come down to who your QB is and who the other guy's QB is and which one makes more plays.

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
Rob Rang and the NFL Draft Scout guys.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632241

They're good people and they traffic through so much information on so many players, oversights happen. I think I even know how it happened. If you manage to find Mallett's official Arkansas bio page there's no mention of his being a team captain two years in a row. But they do mention it on other players' bio pages like DeMarcus Love.

But so many people pay attention to what they write and the information they gather, it's just funny how many places that bit of disinformation flowed through to, and I only just caught wind of it yesterday.

Without getting into another Saban debate.. this just proves my point about journalists, their "information", and how they gather it. Just because a journalist prints it doesn't make it even close to what the truth is...

I've sat in the south endzone of BDS and watched Ryan Mallett walk out onto the field for the coin-toss with the captains in 2009 with my own eyeballs...

I'll always take what I KNOW over anything anybody else THINKS they know...

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Clearly there are a lot of people floating around out there that are thinking wait a gosh darn minute I could swear I've seen Mallett marching out with the captains...but those people haven't got in touch with the NFL Draft Scout people. Anyway, someone asked me about it yesterday saying he was never a captain and I was like, of course he's a captain. Did a little digging, crossed my t's and dotted my i's to make sure we were right about it...figured it deserved going in the piece.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 03:16 PM
of course...if nfl teams are coming back with similar off field findings as you guys what in the world makes any of you think he'll be there at #15??? he's the best pure passer in the draft...breathtaking vertical throws

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 03:18 PM
Just FYI Mallett was team captain in 2009 and 2010.

justdev7
03-29-2011, 03:29 PM
In the second video in the play that starts at the 1:25 mark Mallet makes one of those throws that I'm confident only Aaron Rodgers and maybe Tom Brady could make. It's just unreal.

I have seen a lot of people suggest that we trade back and take Mallet late in the first round. I have to disagree. Depending on where we trade back to Seattle might pick before us and the Bengals are within trade up range. I am not willing to risk losing this guy in order to gain a 2nd round pick. Pick #15 with pick #15!!!!!!! If we don't we'll be cursed for 15 years!!!!!!!!!!!

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 03:35 PM
i've seen mallet make throws to the sideline from the center of the field against cover 2 that i'm not sure any qbs in the nfl can make...in stride before the safety arrives rockets...rediculous throwing arm

Flip Tanneflop
03-29-2011, 03:37 PM
****ing beast.

I like this kid better than I liked Matt Ryan coming out in 08. If Mallett is still there at 15 its a ****ing steal. Best QB in this entire draft by far. On top of that he has the skills to come in and start right away.

Aqua and Orange
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
Great article CK, Simon, and Rich.

When "Miami on the clock" is said aloud at the end of April, I really, really hope that Ponder or Mallett is the person we see smiling with a phone in their hand.

jamvinny
03-29-2011, 03:43 PM
CK - Many thanks to you and Boomer for keeping us going throughout the years with the work and dedication put into these reports and assessments.

I really think Mallett is worth the call and its time that we put stock in finding that franchise QB

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 03:45 PM
i don't know if its in the mallet info you guys did or not cause so far i've only read the off field stuff cause i wanted to see if you guys had any real dirt but christian ponder had a really high red zone td to int rate i wanna say 16 to 1 or something like that on your ponder breakdown do we know what mallets red zone td to int rate has been the last 2 years at arkansas and in the bar none toughest conference in college football???

cause we need to score tds in the red zone and chad henne can't do it...the o goes stale when the field condenses under henne

Minnphin
03-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Gentleman, Tuesday's are becoming an absolute highlight of my week. Really appreciate the work you put in to educate guys like me whose interest in college football doesn't equal their passion for the Dolphins. Just to clarify, are you all (CK, Simon, and Richard) all in agreement that both Mallett and Ponder are worthy of the 15th pick? If so, this draft will go a long way in cementing my opinion of this regime. Thanks again for the good work.

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, don't get it twisted, taking Mallett at 15 is gonna take some nads because the so called "experts" aren't in agreement that Mallett is worthy of the pick. Just wait til every week we have to hear from Omar how passing on Ingram for Mallett was a mistake. Fight the Power!

rrrrphin
03-29-2011, 04:01 PM
Thanks for both a great piece of UNIQUE information and true reporting.

You mentioned his back-up Tyler Wilson. Is he staying at Arkansas this year? He had the best 15+ minutes of a college QB this year when he came off the bench against Auburn. I think he threw four TDs in less then two quarters before misfiring.

3rdandinches
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Passing on Mallett would be one of the dumbest moves this franchise could make, worse then passing on M.Ryan because there we atleast got one of the top 2/3 LT's in the NFL.

I think it would be a lot smarter for us to try to move up to Dallas's 9th pick then wait for him to fall to 15. Mallett could sit for the year and take over in 2012 while we get the run game fixed!

Ed Norton
03-29-2011, 04:10 PM
This is going to be so exciting if he is still on the clock and Minnesota passes on him then it's a real good shot he will still be there at 15. Somebody could trade up but I think most of the teams that need a QB are higher in the draft. I am going to be crushed if the Vikings or somebody before selects him. The next problem will be if the Dolphins have a shot and pass on him, that would really be depressing.

April 28 can not get here soon enough!

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah I tend to agree that all this sentiment about trading down to get the guy is dicey. As I said, one way or another I feel like Arizona could up and decide that they've got to make him theirs, be it in a trade down or possibly even at #5. I think teams are playing things real close to the vest with Mallett and obviously interest is super high. This didn't make the article but Torrey Smith put out a statement saying that 3 out of the last 4 teams he's talked to all asked about Ryan Mallett. Torrey worked out with him in pre-Draft I think. But that shows you how desperate teams are to get behind his eyes and be comfortable that he's not a Ryan Leaf. Eventually, those desires tend to win.

With the Mallett being publicly identified as one of 8 players in the mix for the #1 overall pick, why would people think it such a big stretch for him to end up going in the top 8? Makes perfect sense to me. When was the last time you heard the team picking at #1 overall publicly stating that a guy that will go in the 2nd round is one of a handful of players they're considering at #1 overall? That doesn't happen. They consider premium players and the Carolina Panthers are saying he's a premium player.

If Miami wants him, they have to hope the Cardinals decide they're getting Kevin Kolb, and you'd have to hope Rick Spielman passes on him.

GCD960
03-29-2011, 04:39 PM
All this thread did was damper my hopes of him being there at 15, thanks...

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Gotta admit that Mallett can seem a bit "lanky", but the important thing is that he has the frame to fill it out.

Teams will work on that from day 1. I am not saying that he will be Barry Bonds 2.0, but he is young and 235lbs. After a year in the weight room, trust me, he will add (at least) another 10lbs. He will be 245+, bank on that.

CK & Boomer, this has the potential to keep me up at night....Mallett is just the QB I would like to see us roll the dice on. So, I will ask you to indulge me and make the most ridiculous of all predictions. Assuming that neither of you have sold your souls (hopefully) to the Devil (a.k.a Tom Brady) for the ability to accurately predict the future, and assuming that neither of you are really "Miss Cleo" with a crystal ball, give me your best prediction:

Chances that Mallett will be there at #15: _____ %
Chances that, "if there", Fins will grab him at #15: _____ %

Being a dyslexic atheist insomniac, I already stay up at night wondering if there really is a "DOG". I need my sleep.

Indulge me with your shot in the dark prediction.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/cleodbts-1.jpg

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 04:40 PM
i don't know if its in the mallet info you guys did or not cause so far i've only read the off field stuff cause i wanted to see if you guys had any real dirt but christian ponder had a really high red zone td to int rate i wanna say 16 to 1 or something like that on your ponder breakdown do we know what mallets red zone td to int rate has been the last 2 years at arkansas and in the bar none toughest conference in college football???

cause we need to score tds in the red zone and chad henne can't do it...the o goes stale when the field condenses under henne

I don't have that info on hand. I can look for it. It's not going to be as clean as Ponder's ratio though. Just off hand I can think of one INT he threw in the end zone against Bama.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
If Miami wants him, they have to hope the Cardinals decide they're getting Kevin Kolb, and you'd have to hope Rick Spielman passes on him.

Don't forget the Skins.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Gotta admit that Mallett can seem a bit "lanky", but the important thing is that he has the frame to fill it out.

Teams will work on that from day 1. I am not saying that he will be Barry Bonds 2.0, but he is young and 235lbs. After a year in the weight room, trust me, he will add (at least) another 10lbs. He will be 245+, bank on that.

CK & Boomer, this has the potential to keep me up at night....Mallett is just the QB I would like to see us roll the dice on. So, I will ask you to indulge me and make the most ridiculous of all predictions. Assuming that neither of you have sold your souls (hopefully) to the Devil (a.k.a Tom Brady) for the ability to accurately predict the future, and assuming that neither of you are really "Miss Cleo" with a crystal ball, give me your best prediction:

Chances that Mallett will be there at #15: _____ %
Chances that, "if there", Fins will grab him at #15: _____ %

Being a dyslexic atheist insomniac, I already stay up at night wondering if there really is a "DOG". I need my sleep.

Indulge me with your shot in the dark prediction.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/cleodbts-1.jpg

Chances that he'll be there I would say are close to 50/50. Just have to make sure the Cardinals and Vikings don't jump up and take him.

Chamces that Miami will take him, that's where I'm bound to disappoint a little. Love Mallett though I do and have for a long time, I still haven't seen anything that's led me to believe they're off this mobility kick. Christian Ponder is still more likely.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Don't forget the Skins.

I don't think Mike Shanahan would touch him. Not his type of quarterback. Shanny needs mobile guys to run his zone schemes.

Conuficus
03-29-2011, 04:50 PM

Actually, in the redzone Mallett was 29 of 47 for 273 yards with 17 TD's and 3 INT's and 2 sacks.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Chances that he'll be there I would say are close to 50/50. Just have to make sure the Cardinals and Vikings don't jump up and take him.

Chamces that Miami will take him, that's where I'm bound to disappoint a little. Love Mallett though I do and have for a long time, I still haven't seen anything that's led me to believe they're off this mobility kick. Christian Ponder is still more likely.

this seems a bit odd to me...don't you recall me asking right after the ohio st bowl game and he had thrown the int against the dropping dlineman to seal the loss that would you take him at #15 and you said outright that he wasn't worth the pick??? you gave me a flat no when i said yes i would take him

i guess your study has changed your mind???

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 04:56 PM
Actually, from the redzone was 29 of 47 for 273 yards with 17 yards and 3 INT's and 2 sacks.

i'm thinking there's some typos there...

TedSlimmJr
03-29-2011, 05:02 PM
i'm thinking there's some typos there...

He's correct despite the typo... Mallett completed 59.6% of his passes, with 17 TD's and 3 INT's for a 202.81 QB rating inside the redzone...

Hell, his first year starting in the SEC he completed 61.7% of his passes, with 14 TD's and 0 INT's for a 205.39 QB rating inside the redzone...

He did throw a bad pick in the redzone against Bama though as CK pointed out..

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 05:03 PM
He's correct despite the typo... Mallett completed 59.6% of his passes, with 17 TD's and 3 INT's for a 202.81 QB rating inside the redzone...

Hell, his first year starting in the SEC he completed 61.7% of his passes, with 14 TD's and 0 INT's for a 205.39 QB rating inside the redzone...

He did throw a bad pick in the redzone against Bama though as CK pointed out..

ok thanks con and slimm...that's good stuff

Conuficus
03-29-2011, 05:16 PM
So I said yards instead of TD's ................geesh.

:lol:

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM
So I said yards instead of TD's ................geesh.

:lol:

red zone tds was what i was searchin for...but yeah...i was just messin with the typos thing

Conuficus
03-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Stop picking on foreigners. You big meanie.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Stop picking on foreigners. You big meanie.

my bad...but i don't ever wanna hear the bold part from a man again...

Boomer
03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
i will say this about Mallett. I went into the draft season thinking that Mallett was overrated. But this is what film study and research does for you. I would now happily take him at pick 15. I even went into this article thinking that I was on the fence. But researching him convinced me. He's the sort of player I'd want to play for.

Conuficus
03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
my bad...but i don't ever wanna hear the bold part from a man again...

lmfao!!!!

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 05:37 PM
and i really like that he thinks touchdown instead of check down...the balls going down the field for chunk yardage...none of this dink and dunk garbage where you have to have 15 play perfect drives to score...here comes the hammer...and the throws on fade routes into the end zone as he approaches or is in the red zone they couldn't be placed any better if on a string...over the outside shoulder where only the wr can make a play and tap the toes in...money... guys with that kind of cannon arm with that kind of touch are rare

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 05:44 PM
anyways guys...thats another great piece...really appreciate your work

Spesh
03-29-2011, 05:47 PM
As usually, great work. I'm extremely impressed with the level of work you guys did concerning Mallet's supposed character concerns. Digging up high school information about him probably wasn't the most fun activity ever. Brilliant job.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 05:53 PM
i will say this about Mallett. I went into the draft season thinking that Mallett was overrated. But this is what film study and research does for you. I would know happily take him at pick 15. I even went into this article thinking that I was on the fence. But researching him convinced me. He's the sort of player I'd want to play for.

I could not agree more. I went into height of bowl season, January, thinking he is overrated. I went into it being convinced that some of the scramblers are better including Tyrod Taylor. Anf if CK remembers I was even high on Tolzien. But the more I watched the break down of Mallet's game the more clear it appeared that this guy is the real deal. I feel your exact sentiments.
I agree, any team that needs a pocket passer that breaks this guy down diligently will not be able to resist falling in love with Mallet.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
this seems a bit odd to me...don't you recall me asking right after the ohio st bowl game and he had thrown the int against the dropping dlineman to seal the loss that would you take him at #15 and you said outright that he wasn't worth the pick??? you gave me a flat no when i said yes i would take him

i guess your study has changed your mind???

That's correct. But the study that changed my mind happened in...probably only a week after that, actually. If you recall that conversation I did say that he was very impressive in that bowl game on the whole and improved in some key areas, basically had the same game to me as Blaine Gabbert did against Iowa and I thought he had a great day and showed improvement as well. What changed my mind were really three things, one the deeper I looked the more I saw that he doesn't really have a prolific history of blowing chunks in big moments, it's just happened a few times. Two, when I saw what his stats were against the blitz through the first 10 games of the year, that was a HUGE red flag to me that I'm probably WAY off in my thinking that he doesn't handle pressure. You don't get those stats against the blitz without handling pressure like a champ. Three, I gotta be honest I'm watching an NFL playoffs that includes a dog killer/someone that got out of jail and still had the guy that rolled over on him to Federal prosecutors shot at his 30th birthday party, and then there's a rapist, and he was going to the Super Bowl. Again. At that point I threw my hands up and said you know what, Ryan Mallett's a first rounder just like Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert, absolutely 100% for sure, and I don't care what skeletons are in his closet.

JCPHIN_PHAN
03-29-2011, 08:38 PM
i will say this about Mallett. I went into the draft season thinking that Mallett was overrated. But this is what film study and research does for you. I would now happily take him at pick 15. I even went into this article thinking that I was on the fence. But researching him convinced me. He's the sort of player I'd want to play for.

After reading your Draft Winds articles this year, I get the impression based off your research that you would be comfortable taking at least 4 QB's at number #15.(assuming you like Gabbert). Would it be fair to say that this is actually a really good/great QB class based off your scouting reports of Ponder, Newton, and now Mallett?

I ask this question becuase i hold TEDSLIMMS opionion in high regard. I have heard him say many times that Mallett is his only 1st round grade QB in this draft. I know all scouts are different but what are the chances that all 4 of these QB's not making it to pick 15?

newlownorder
03-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I would say chances are good one of those 4 would be there. But without FA before the draft its so hard to tell. Do teams want to risk passing on a QB and take their chances in FA? That makes this years draft so hard to speculate because its new.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 10:28 PM
After reading your Draft Winds articles this year, I get the impression based off your research that you would be comfortable taking at least 4 QB's at number #15.(assuming you like Gabbert). Would it be fair to say that this is actually a really good/great QB class based off your scouting reports of Ponder, Newton, and now Mallett?

I ask this question becuase i hold TEDSLIMMS opionion in high regard. I have heard him say many times that Mallett is his only 1st round grade QB in this draft. I know all scouts are different but what are the chances that all 4 of these QB's not making it to pick 15?

That's really the bottom line. At first I thought there were only two 1st round caliber quarterbacks in this Draft. As I said above, I had some wrong ideas about Ryan Mallett's handling of pressure that became evident as I went along, and plus it helps you be more comfortable with a so-called "bad character" guy when you see a rapist and dog killer leading their teams in the playoffs, Super Bowl, getting congratulatory phone calls from President Obama, etc.

I still kind of had Christian Ponder in limbo because I loved him coming out of 2009, but was disappointed in his injury-riddled 2010. As we got on, I became more comfortable with him and have added him as a fourth guy I would be comfortable taking at #15.

I have been saying since 2009 that this 2011 quarterbacks class would be a good one. That hasn't changed for me. It's a unique class because of how varied it is, and how all of the guys come at you from different angles to where most people are guaranteed to love two of them and hate four of them, or something like that...but everyone loves a different two and hates a different four, if that makes sense. There are definitely six guys in this Draft with very good to elite starting talent, in the physical sense...whether it be a combination of size, athleticism and big arm (Newton, Gabbert, Kaepernick, Locker), or a guy like Mallett who combines elite size and elite arm talent, or a guy like Ponder who has as elite athletic ability as you're going to get outside of Michael Vick, to go along with a good arm and a lot of versatility to his game.

I mean you take the mile high view of this group, don't get caught up (yet) in the nitty gritty details, you don't often find a combination of six quarterbacks in a Draft class that present this way on the football field with these unique gifts. You have seven guys rated in the top three rounds right now by services like NFL Draft Scout, five of them (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Kaepernick, Locker) have HUGE arms...not just good arms but huge ones. Five of them won at least 10 games this year. Four of them are 6'5" or above. Five of them run better than a 4.63 in the 40 yard dash, and three of them run better than a 4.56. Seriously, you don't often see the kind of physical talent that the top of this quarterbacks class boasts.

Dogbone34
03-29-2011, 11:08 PM
not sure mallet will be there at #15

miami has to take him

he's got a freaking outstanding arm

Kdawg954
03-30-2011, 12:01 AM
Still don't think he is the type of QB this regime is looking for, but I do like Mallet. Hell I have been saying the top 4 being gone by the 12th pick for the longest, I really don't think we have any decision to make on Mallet because somebody will pull the trigger before we do. We are going to be left with Christian Ponder at 15, and if we get cute and trade down, we are going to lose out on him as well.

Boomer
03-30-2011, 06:36 AM

I went into this post season draft analysis thinking Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Mallett would go in round 1 but not really liking Mallett. I thought LAST year that Ponder would be a top 15 pick.

But subsequent to really working on the film and the research I think Gabbert, Newton, Mallett and Ponder are the 1st round QB's and that someone will take Locker and maybe Andy Dalton in R1 as well. I think Gabbert, Newton will go top 10 and that Mallett will go to the Vikings.

Kdawg954
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Mallett is ridiculously hard working. I've not encountered a player who will outwork him in this years draft. Maybe Rock Carmichael. So this stuff about him not working hard is lies.Turst me. I spent HOURS poring over articles, cuttings, emails to people, etc. Anything else is just a lie.

Was one of the most intriguing things I got out of this thread . . . probably the first time I have heard that in regards to Mallet. Very refreshing to say the least. Thanks.

j-off-her-doll
03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
First, another great article.

But, in regard to Mallett being the hardest working man in show business, shouldn't it be assumed that this is limited to the things he values, and that the things he values might not include everything he should? I mean this to say, he's gone from a bad athlete as a Junior to a horrendous athlete as a Senior. As Slimm noted a few weeks back, 5.37 is NO ONE'S optimal 40 time. Would a coach be able to convince him to work the **** out? Would he work as hard in this facet as he does in the film room, etc?

ckparrothead
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
First, another great article.

But, in regard to Mallett being the hardest working man in show business, shouldn't it be assumed that this is limited to the things he values, and that the things he values might not include everything he should? I mean this to say, he's gone from a bad athlete as a Junior to a horrendous athlete as a Senior. As Slimm noted a few weeks back, 5.37 is NO ONE'S optimal 40 time. Would a coach be able to convince him to work the **** out? Would he work as hard in this facet as he does in the film room, etc?

First off, the things I've found suggest that he does actually work very hard on his conditioning and whatnot. Second, I'm just not sure where the idea comes from that he was a worse athlete in 2010 than 2009.

The 5.37 COULD show that he's not working hard at his conditioning. TedSlimmJr and I both brought that up in the wake of the 5.37 at his Pro Day, and it's a concern. What if you tell him to work harder at it, and he just gives you some response like "I already do" even though you know he doesn't? You worry about that. But the fact of the matter is, I've found more evidence that he works hard on it than evidence that he doesn't. He says the 5.37 was due to pulling a groin during the run and that he's run into the 5's and even broken into the 4.9's before (probably wind at his back, wearing gold shoes, etc). I'm not prepared to call him a liar. Based on his broad jump and vertical and his tape, I know what kind of athlete he is and I know who to compare him to, and I've not found anything yet to convince me he's not working on his conditioning.

j-off-her-doll
03-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Not questioning his conditioning as much as the work one does to become a more explosive athlete. To my eyes, his feet were quicker in '09.

ckparrothead
03-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Not questioning his conditioning as much as the work one does to become a more explosive athlete. To my eyes, his feet were quicker in '09.

I don't think I can agree with that. The escapability I saw from him against Alabama and Texas A&M, I don't think I would have seen that in 2009.

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I went into this post season draft analysis thinking Newton, Gabbert, Locker and Mallett would go in round 1 but not really liking Mallett. I thought LAST year that Ponder would be a top 15 pick.

But subsequent to really working on the film and the research I think Gabbert, Newton, Mallett and Ponder are the 1st round QB's and that someone will take Locker and maybe Andy Dalton in R1 as well. I think Gabbert, Newton will go top 10 and that Mallett will go to the Vikings.

I feel very similarly about the draft this year. I could see Gabbert to the Panthers, Newton to the Bills, Mallett to the Vikings...the real question I have is how far up the board Ponder goes. I could very easily see the Dolphins getting cute, trading back, and the Jags picking Ponder right up in the next spot.

In my mind's eye I keep seeing Ireland being asked in the post draft presser, "What made you pass on Christian Ponder in the first round?" and his response being, "We saw this draft as being full of talent and felt it important to maximize the amount of players we picked up and gave a shot to. We also did not have Christian rated at the 15 spot". The truth will be that the team wanted to pick Ponder up in a trade down, but got cute, missed out, and will present it in another way.

ckparrothead
03-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Ireland would try and dance around it for obvious reasons, but he's not generally one to over-hype the players he does take. The press were obsessed with the idea that Phil Merling fell to #32 and the Dolphins were lucky to get him at that spot, and when they asked him about Merling, something like were you surprised he fell to #32, etc...Ireland was like "No, we had him rated right about where we took him."

hooshoops
03-30-2011, 02:08 PM
the 09 stuff i've seen of mallett he looked leaner to me and a bit more athletic...the 2010 version kinda looked to me like he had carb loaded to gain some weight...maybe he hit the weight room...at any rate i'm more a fan of the 09 body version in the pros...

bdhock
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the great work. Does it concern anyone that a while back Sparano was talking about watching film and saying a large number of big plays coming from mobile Qb extending plays. It makes me afraid that they are wanting a more mobile QB. Mobile is nice but It is just part of the picture, I think QB of all types can be winners. Roethlisberger is nothing like Brady but they are both winners. Manning,Brady,Rivers,Schaub,Flacco are all pretty immobile but I would take anyone of them.

bdhock
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
You guys must have started something. Ryan Mccyrstal of Draftace.com. and Wes Bunting of National Football Post both have us taking Mallett at 15 in their latest Mocks.

ckparrothead
03-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the great work. Does it concern anyone that a while back Sparano was talking about watching film and saying a large number of big plays coming from mobile Qb extending plays. It makes me afraid that they are wanting a more mobile QB. Mobile is nice but It is just part of the picture, I think QB of all types can be winners. Roethlisberger is nothing like Brady but they are both winners. Manning,Brady,Rivers,Schaub,Flacco are all pretty immobile but I would take anyone of them.

Yes that does bother me. That's primarily why even though I like Mallett a lot, I have not been pegging him for Miami. It's also one reason I consider Ponder a strong favorite for Miami.

However, recent developments have led me to the conclusion that Miami are engaging in some counter-intelligence with respect to Mallett. What the final aim is? I don't know. I'm not going to say it's some grand plan that they have hatched or anything like that. I'm just saying, the Dolphins doth protest too much, and part of that comes from someone "in the know" that I just had an email conversation with.

ckparrothead
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
You guys must have started something. Ryan Mccyrstal of Draftace.com. and Wes Bunting of National Football Post both have us taking Mallett at 15 in their latest Mocks.

Now THAT is very interesting.

bdhock
03-31-2011, 08:11 AM
Just seen where Al Fronczak of Eastcoastsports.com now also has Mallett going to us a 15. In his his write up he says we will be trying to trade down but rumors of Mallett falling are false and character concerns are overblown. Our guys at Draft Winds were the first ones I had read saying character concerns were overblown, thanks for the hard work you seem to be ahead of the big time draft experts at times. PS not saying you are not big time.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 09:27 AM
For what it's worth, DraftAce and Al Fronczak are reputable mock drafters that have scored very well in The Huddle Report's mock draft scoring in the past. I believe DraftAce might have even been #1 out of like 99 entrants last year, and Fronczak may have been #1 in a previous year.

BobDole
03-31-2011, 09:33 AM
excellent read, as usual. now all we can do is cross our fingers and hope he slides to 15 ... or gets busted blasting rails in the back of some skeezy titty bar and slides to rd 4.

Show Me Your TDs
03-31-2011, 09:56 AM
I have been all in for Mallet in the draft for awhile but I have a very bad feeling this FO won't select him. Based on the Daboli hiring and the statements by Sparano about wanting a more mobile QB by extending the plays Ponder would be a more likely target. However I can see a scenario where we trade down and miss on Ponder and Mallet and are forced to chose from the 2nd tier QBs like we always do which makes me want to puke just thinking about it.

bdhock
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
I have been all in for Mallet in the draft for awhile but I have a very bad feeling this FO won't select him. Based on the Daboli hiring and the statements by Sparano about wanting a more mobile QB by extending the plays Ponder would be a more likely target. However I can see a scenario where we trade down and miss on Ponder and Mallet and are forced to chose from the 2nd tier QBs like we always do which makes me want to puke just thinking about it.You mean 2nd tier QBs like Beck,white and maybe Henne. pass me the barf bag when your done.

Conuficus
03-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Just to shout out to my colleagues - this article was just mentioned on the Dan Patrick Show. Ryan Mallett was a guest and was asked if he had seen the article by Patrick.

Gotta say, well done to Chris and Simon.........no pressure on me for next week. No pressure at all.

Mr. Magoo
03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
If the character concerns on Mallett are truly overblown and he truly isn't going to fall after all then the team I think would be most likely to take him at the top of the first round isn't the Cardinals, it's the Titans. Mallett's downfield style fits their offense and their receivers really well and I can think of no one better to teach Mallett how to be an NFL player than the NFL player who most resembles him -- Kerry Collins.

I'm still not a fan of Mallett. Based purely on football talent, he probably is a high floor kind of guy. But I see too many flaws in his game for the two elite things he brings to the table -- height and arm strength -- to overcome. I doubt he'll ever been an elite or probably even a very good player.

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Just to shout out to my colleagues - this article was just mentioned on the Dan Patrick Show. Ryan Mallett was a guest and was asked if he had seen the article by Patrick.

Gotta say, well done to Chris and Simon.........no pressure on me for next week. No pressure at all.

Did they discuss the article? What was said? Very curious. Anyway, that's ****ing amazing and more than well deserved.

Roonnette
03-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Did they discuss the article? What was said? Very curious. Anyway, that's ****ing amazing and more than well deserved.

http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/03/31/ryan-mallett-discusses-draft-process-where-hell-land/

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 12:40 PM
http://danpatrick.directv.com.edgesuite.net/Podcast/DP-Hr2_03-31-2011_stream.mp3

About 1/6th of the way thru the broadcast, Dan Patrick has been ranting about how all these "draft experts" that move guys up and down their boards, he's not buying that anything new is happening he just thinks that they're only finally getting round to watching the tape and doing the work on these guys and that's why they go up and down, very word-of-mouth. He's been talking about how Ryan Mallett is being viewed as a 2nd round pick by everyone but heading into this year wasn't he like top QB on most peoples' boards? What's going on? He goes on to cite our piece as basically having the REAL poop on Mallett.

But now you're seeing, and I just saw this profile of him. And it was detailed, ten thousand words. It detailed him, "Is he a leader? Is he not a leader?". "Does he have a sense of humor? Doesn't have a sense of humor?". You know, "Off the field...", ya know "He's not fast...", "He can throw it...", "He's tall...". But, it broke down everything. You would have thought that they talked to the guy that sold him his bike when he was 9. They talked to just about ever- ball boy at Michigan, so they're breaking this down. But he's a 2nd round pick, and maybe the Bengals- I think the Bengals are now realizing what I told you guys a long time ago: Carson Palmer is not kiddin'. He wants out of Cincinnati, there's no joke there. And I think now they're realizing, they gotta get a quarterback...

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Good interview, by the way.

Roonnette
03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Yesterday on Gino's show on WQAM, Mallett said that he's scheduled to visit 49ers, Dolphins and then Boston.

Today on Dan Patrick show, he said he is scheduled to visit 49ers, Dolphins, and another team he can't really talk about.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 12:57 PM
I swear every time I listen to Mallett speak it's eerie how I keep thinking that it's my buddy Ross who is from the same area in Texas. People keep saying "wigger" or whatever but that's just not it at all. It's an accent from that area of Texas. My friend Ross would never, ever be confused for a gangsta hip hop guy. Ever. And listening to Mallett call in somewhere, I swear I'm on the phone with Ross. Maybe subconsciously that's why I like the guy so much, lol.

Dan Patrick: "I'm looking- Did you see the profile yesterday in the Sun Sentinel in Florida?"

Ryan Mallett: "Say it again?"

Dan Patrick: "There was an article yesterday, it was a profile on you in the Florida Sun Sentinel. It was ten thousand words, looking at everything you've done since High School. I mean, they broke down everything, looked at your...you know, Football...looked at your, Off the Field...On the Field...everything. Sense of humor. Now, did you see this?

Ryan Mallett: "I heard a little bit about it, but I didn't see it though."

Dan Patrick: "Are you- But how concerned is that when you read these things about what these teams are asking other people about you."

Ryan Mallett: "You know, that's their job is to find out everything they can know about you, and it's an investment for them. So, you know anything they can find out is what they're gonna do."

Dan Patrick: "But how personal should a team get?"

Ryan Mallett: "You know, that's not really for me to say. It depends on the situation, I think. You know, I don't think many lines are being crossed. I think there might have been one or two throughout the years. But, I think other than that they respect the person's privacy, but they know what you're doin'."

It goes on some more but that's the only part where Dan Patrick mentions us during the interview with Mallett.

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2011, 01:03 PM
$10 says Mallett's favorite album would be classified under "mainstream rap."

Mr. Magoo
03-31-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm very glad to see you guys getting the recognition you deserve. It has to be a good feeling. I don't agree with every take and stance obviously but I'm very happy for all of you. And it's good to see that quality work still gets recognition for what it is and is passed around among those who are interested in more than sound bites.

It would be unnerving to write one on Jake Locker -- assuming it would be negative -- now knowing there's a good chance he'd get a hold of it and it could be discussed on a national radio show.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 01:14 PM
That could be the case, but it has absolutely nothing to do with his accent.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm very glad to see you guys getting the recognition you deserve. It has to be a good feeling. I don't agree with every take and stance obviously but I'm very happy for all of you. And it's good to see that quality work still gets recognition for what it is and is passed around among those who are interested in more than sound bites.

It would be unnerving to write one on Jake Locker -- assuming it would be negative -- now knowing there's a good chance he'd get a hold of it and it could be discussed on a national radio show.

Yeah I know. That's honestly why I haven't pushed the idea yet. We'd tear him apart like a rabid wolfpack. It'd be awful. Richard has just got done doing a bunch of his film work on Jake and he wants to stick knitting needles in his eyes. I just don't know if we need that kind of negativity attached to us at this very early stage of our getting out there into the national spotlight.

Conuficus
03-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Actually, I'd rather cut my balls off with a piece of cardboard.

bdhock
03-31-2011, 02:35 PM
CK,Boomer,Richard have you guys ever herd if anyone from inside the Dolphins reads your stuff. I know they spend lots of money and time looking into these guys but your stuff is really in depth. wouldnt surprise me that they wouldnt at least give it a read after hearing about it. You have to admit, that article was a lot more than you get off Kiper or Mayock even though I enjoy listening to both those guys.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 03:13 PM
It's possible. I would have said no a month or two ago, but I'd also not have thought that guys like Cam Newton, George Whitfield, people around Ryan Mallett, Dan Patrick, Evan Silva, etc would have read our stuff...but I know they have.

So it's definitely possible.

rrrrphin
03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Congrats on the increased exposure. I've seen your pieces get picked up by GBN Draft report as well.

Are you guys going to start updating your Universaldraft site? I'm surprised you don't post your work there or do you offer the Sun-Sentinel the Draft Winds content?

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 04:20 PM
Congrats on the increased exposure. I've seen your pieces get picked up by GBN Draft report as well.

Are you guys going to start updating your Universaldraft site? I'm surprised you don't post your work there or do you offer the Sun-Sentinel the Draft Winds content?

We've been kind of going with the Sun Sentinel stuff...mostly because we suck with websites.

Conuficus
03-31-2011, 05:55 PM
It's also called a job. A wife and in some cases kids too.

I'll get the site done today or tomorrow.

One reason we are behind with the site, is that I had a family health issue that kind of threw a wrench into the works.

Roonnette
03-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Let us know if you are booked to appear on radio somewhere. I'm thrilled for you that this is getting some national attention.

newlownorder
03-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Btw CK, I finally got around to some Gabbert film, talk about phantom pressure...sheesh.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Btw CK, I finally got around to some Gabbert film, talk about phantom pressure...sheesh.

He represents what I was talking about with some guys being coached like you were saying to operate with that clock in their head. In Pinkel's offense, uncovering was core tenet among the WRs and the passing offense. Break the pocket, buy more time, get the WRs to execute scramble drill rules and uncover. The crappy part is you don't know how Gabbert's going to react if he's asked to not bail on the pocket so quickly and methodically.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 08:55 PM
Let us know if you are booked to appear on radio somewhere. I'm thrilled for you that this is getting some national attention.

Have a radio appearance with WINZ 940 AM in Miami tomorrow at 5:15pm EST with Jesse Agler, Keith Sims and Troy Drayton. Only about 10 minutes but it should be cool.

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2011, 09:55 PM
The crappy part is you don't know how Gabbert's going to react if he's asked to not bail on the pocket so quickly and methodically.

Absolutely. I've never in my life heard of a system where a quarterback was coached to continuously leave a perfectly fine pocket and run directly towards the sideline. If that's what Pinkel is coaching his quarterbacks to do, I'd have serious reservations about drafting a QB from that type of "system" in any round. Chase Daniel didn't even do it at Missouri in the same system...

Pocket poise is based on instinct and innate feel. Good luck coaching that into a kid once he's in the NFL...

There's not a single elite quarterback in the NFL that struggles with pocket awareness, it's an immediate career killer.

Gabbert looks like a guy who's been sacked 60 times from the way he completely loses his bearings at even the slightest hint of pressure. He's leaving the pocket when there's only 3 guys rushing as if there's 15 guys coming clean...

A quarterback in the NFL has to be able to deal with pressure, whether it's perceived or real...

Real pressure doesn't even have to get to him if he's not dealing with the perceived pressure first...

I like a lot of the things Gabbert brings to the table when he's throwing in rhythm, but he also has some real obstacles in front of him to avoid being a flat out bust, especially if he goes to a bad football team.

Gabbert reminds me so much of Heath Shuler it's downright mysterious....

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 10:14 PM
Better arm than Heath, though.

Roonnette
03-31-2011, 10:57 PM
Gabbert reminds me so much of Heath Shuler it's downright mysterious....

What concerns me with Gabbert is maturity. I think he should've stayed in school.

John Biello
04-01-2011, 11:55 AM
absolutely fantastic article. i was hesitant at first to read it, though only because the idea of taking mallett is growing on me and this team has so often disappointed us all when it comes to the quarterback position.

newlownorder
04-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is what's frustrating, I'm watching path to the draft and they have nothing but good things to say about him but they have him as a second round pick. They say he's NFL ready, great arm, works hard, well respected by teammates and coaches, but just a 2nd rounder. Of course they don't say anything about why they think he's only a 2nd round pick. To me its just lazy journalism on their part.

D-bolt
04-01-2011, 07:37 PM
That could be the case, but it has absolutely nothing to do with his accent.

I think he talks Like Brad Arnold, the lead singer for 3 doors down.

ckparrothead
04-02-2011, 02:02 AM
Here is what's frustrating, I'm watching path to the draft and they have nothing but good things to say about him but they have him as a second round pick. They say he's NFL ready, great arm, works hard, well respected by teammates and coaches, but just a 2nd rounder. Of course they don't say anything about why they think he's only a 2nd round pick. To me its just lazy journalism on their part.

Path to the Draft which evidently we're going to be on soon? Heh.

Conuficus
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Path to the Draft which evidently we're going to be on soon? Heh.

That is still surreal.

hooshoops
04-02-2011, 09:43 AM

yeah but did you hear the part earlier in the broadcast where lombardi said some teams have mallett off their boards??? i did

Roonnette
04-02-2011, 12:58 PM
i did

I did not.

finfan54
04-02-2011, 03:41 PM

They may be saying this because the second half of the first round r teams that do not need a qb so the upper teams who do will be looking for one in early second if they did not take one in first. Bills people I know have been mentioning Mallett so...

My scenario would be to drop down with NO to 24 and get another pick and then take Mallett. I think word is getting out that Mallett's off field probs are Marino-esque. Cudos to CK and co. because they may have done some school work for guys in the media.