PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Dolphins highly unlikely to draft Ryan Mallett

Nublar7
03-29-2011, 06:36 PM
The Dolphins have evaluated most top quarterback prospects, including Mallett, but are highly unlikely to draft the former Razorback, according to sources. However, the Dolphins are very much looking at tight ends and having Mallett throwing to Williams at Tuesday's workout was imperative from an evaluation process.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f002c4/article/dolphins-arkansas-interest-is-in-te-williams

kizzaboo
03-29-2011, 06:51 PM
Of Course...

SCOTTY
03-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Can't say this disappoints me.

twix2500
03-29-2011, 07:11 PM
This report gives no reason to why we would not draft him?

TrinidadDolfan
03-29-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f002c4/article/dolphins-arkansas-interest-is-in-te-williams

I am sorry, but for "sources" to claim that they know what the Fins will probably do is pure bulls**t

tylerdolphin
03-29-2011, 07:19 PM
I wonder how many more years we can continue to dance around the QB situation. Its been a fun ride so far.

ckparrothead
03-29-2011, 07:24 PM
I like Ryan Mallett a lot but I still don't think Miami are taking him. I think they're probably focused on Ponder. I hope not Kaepernick.

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 07:24 PM
It doesn't take a lot to figure out this fo, unfortunately

Nublar7
03-29-2011, 07:26 PM
It doesn't take a lot to figure out this fo, unfortunately

Did you expect them to trade for Brandon Marshall? Don't be so quick to think you have them figured out, they can be unpredictable.

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
This visit to Arkansas is being misinterpreted. Mallett will visit Dolphins separately for a 2 day visit. They went to Arkansas this time to check out DJ Williams. The fact that Mallett is there is an extra to evaluate. But this is reported as Mallett not the focus of draft plans because they are evaluating Williams.

sinPHIN
03-29-2011, 07:32 PM
I like Ryan Mallett a lot but I still don't think Miami are taking him. I think they're probably focused on Ponder. I hope not Kaepernick.

in the same article it says they are looking at kaepernick in the second, if we get a second.

greasyObnoxious
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Did you expect them to trade for Brandon Marshall? Don't be so quick to think you have them figured out, they can be unpredictable.

No, but i wasn't at all surprised by our first four draft picks in 2010. They ARE telegraphing their draft picks. There's no denying that.

SCOTTY
03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
in the same article it says they are looking at kaepernick in the second, if we get a second.

Kaepernick in the 2nd if we trade down would be a bigger waste than White was.

etsudolfan
03-29-2011, 09:17 PM
if they are saying this, expect the opposite. Not FO would show their hand this early. Everyone knows everything outside of the #1 pick is usually just a smokescreen

twg76
03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear they aren't targeting Mallet. Ponder late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. I'd be happy with that.

hooshoops
03-29-2011, 09:38 PM

no i didn't...but i did expect them to misuse marshall once they acquired him

JBinSD
03-29-2011, 09:52 PM
I personally believe that Mallett will be the pick at either #15, or in the mid-twenties after a trade. I might change my mind, but I just have a weird hunch.

twix2500
03-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Mallet better be the pick If he is there at 15. He definetly worth the 15th pick.

SCOTTY
03-30-2011, 12:46 AM
Mallet better be the pick If he is there at 15. He definetly worth the 15th pick.

Not sure you can say he is defnitely worth the 15th pick. At most you can claim he is worth the risk at 15. But even then I'm not to sure. I said it months ago and haven't seen anything for me to deter: I see another Ryan Leaf type bust from Mallett.

Roonnette
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
I see another Ryan Leaf type bust from Mallett.
Ryan Leaf busted mentally. Sort of like Vince Young. You can't foresee that unless you have special powers. If you do, play lotto.

MP-Omnis
03-30-2011, 03:58 AM
I wonder how many more years we can continue to dance around the QB situation. Its been a fun ride so far.

Just one. Luck 2012.

Chubby
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
Dont see how the fins could value Ponder greater then Mallet. How is great leadership/average arm > Strong Arm/Questionable leadership.

Edit: I figured it out, the fins love injury prone players. Now it makes sense why Ponder > Mallet.
Chubbs

OrlandoFin
03-30-2011, 08:58 AM
I have been telling people for weeks that Miami is not interested in Mallett. The reason they have shown a lot of interest is because each time they see him they see DJ Williams, who is a primary target for them, but they can hide it in a Ryan Mallett smokescreen. Miami already has a Mallett type QB in Henne, they want a QB that is more the type of Aaron Rodgers. Sparano said he would like to have a QB that can buy time with his feet, that is not Mallett. I think they top three QBs on the radar for Miami is (in no particular order) Ponder, Kaepernick, and Dalton.

datruth55
03-30-2011, 09:28 AM
Just got finished reading somewhere that the reason Mallet is falling isn't because of any rumored off-field issues like drugs or a druken disorderly issue he had last year...it's because most scouts believe he has zero leadership skills.

SCOTTY
03-30-2011, 12:29 PM
Ryan Leaf busted mentally. Sort of like Vince Young. You can't foresee that unless you have special powers. If you do, play lotto.

Really?? Hmmmm, from Leaf's Scouting Report:

Leaf appears to be the hot QB in this draft, and he led WSU to a storybook season...He is a physically imposing QB with great size and strength....he is very sturdy and durable in the pocket, and is a surprisingly good athlete for his size...He has a strong arm and shows good touch, and can change up the speed on his passes...He has good feet, but is not really a scrambler. However, he can stand in and take the big hits....He is a very naturally gifted player, but could improve on his throwing mechanics, although it is not a major problem....There are no physical or athletic limitations to hold Leaf back from becoming a great NFL QB. However, there appears to be some minor nagging questions in the area of maturity and his mental approach to the game. He is perceived as not always an easy guy to work with, and he tends to beat to his own drummer...As good as he is, he can have some streaks on the field where he looks like he has forgotten everything he has been taught...There seems to be a nagging question here that something might be missing, but it may be hard to verbalize it...However, Leaf made all the right moves at the end of his season when he declared for the NFL draft...Unless he turns some teams off in individual interviews between now and the draft, he should have no problems....Nobody will question his physical abilities, and it is not outlandish to think that he could be the first pick of the draft, instead of Peyton Manning....There is a huge upside with Leaf, and it is conceivable that he could be one of the best young QB’s in the game in 2-3 years...His ability to play as physical as he does and take the hits that will obviously come, when playing for a team that obviously doesn’t have a very good OL, will help him get over the tough times as a team builds around him.

I see the same things in Mallett. Just my opinion.

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2011, 01:29 PM
Calling Mallett's leadership skills bad sounds like a completely manufactured bunch of garbage. Sorry, but I've read too many things to the contrary from his coaches and ex-teammates.

The Dolphins will meet with Mallett again after this trip. This is a textbook case of an incorrect assumption. The REAL question is whether the Dolphins leaked it to throw other teams off the trail. I have found the team's promises of bringing in "real competition" for Henne very telling, almost an under-the-radar promise to fans.

fins_rock
03-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Calling Mallett's leadership skills bad sounds like a completely manufactured bunch of garbage. Sorry, but I've read too many things to the contrary from his coaches and ex-teammates.

The Dolphins will meet with Mallett again after this trip. This is a textbook case of an incorrect assumption. The REAL question is whether the Dolphins leaked it to throw other teams off the trail. I have found the team's promises of bringing in "real competition" for Henne very telling, almost an under-the-radar promise to fans.

I hope this is true. I just hope they don't think the real competition for Henne is Kaepernick, Locker, Tyrod Taylor, Pat Delvin or Nathan Enderle.. I don't think Ryan Mallett would be real competition for Henne. Mallett would win the job within the 1st week of training camp, there wouldn't be much of a competition IMO.

RHoffman
03-30-2011, 06:16 PM
No Ponder please...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/647581-2011-nfl-draft-the-10-most-overrated-players

fins_rock
03-30-2011, 06:26 PM
No Ponder please...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/647581-2011-nfl-draft-the-10-most-overrated-players

Ponder is a noodle arm.

PhinsTD
03-30-2011, 07:25 PM
How many years will this franchise continue to set itself back due to this front office regime? The antiquated philosophies continue to drive this franchise into the gutter.

It would be bad enough to continue this second round QB farce, but for the target to be Kaepernick?

The Phins make it hard on their fans, that's for sure.

Spesh
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Yes Ponder please...http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_the_christian_pond.html

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

Ponder is a noodle arm.

http://youtu.be/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc

Roonnette
03-30-2011, 09:22 PM
However, there appears to be some minor nagging questions in the area of maturity and his mental approach to the game. He is perceived as not always an easy guy to work with, and he tends to beat to his own drummer...As good as he is, he can have some streaks on the field where he looks like he has forgotten everything he has been taught.

This most resembles Gabbert in this draft class.

RobertHorry
03-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Interesting.

DcRy82
03-30-2011, 09:54 PM
Not sure why anybody is even entertaining this opinion as fact in the first place... Nobody outside of our front office knows who the Miami Dolphins are or are not targeting. Anybody sayin "I told you we wouldn't go after Mallet", or "I knew our F.O. wasnt smart enough to recognize a franchise QB" is foolish for thinking this "source" knows what the F.O. is thinking. There are 3 possibilities... He gets selected before us, we draft him, or we pass on him. No matter what happens, somebody will be correct by default, but PLEASE don't act like you "knew" something was going to happen all along because you really didn't know for sure.

fins_rock
03-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Yes Ponder please...http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_the_christian_pond.html

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

http://youtu.be/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc

That was a great throw, but do you have any clips from the senior bowl or combine workouts of him throwing like that, I missed those. What year was that game from? I didn't see South Florida on FSU's schedule in 2010.. Maybe he's got a cannon like Mallett but decides not to use it all the time.

That being said, I would not mind it if the Dolphins picked Ponder because I think he is a good QB overall. We need to pick a QB high and Ponder has got talent, just not a strong arm and not worthy of the 15th pick.

Conuficus
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
That was a great throw, but do you have any clips from the senior bowl or combine workouts of him throwing like that, I missed those. What year was that game from? I didn't see South Florida on FSU's schedule in 2010.. Maybe he's got a cannon like Mallett but decides not to use it all the time.

That being said, I would not mind it if the Dolphins picked Ponder because I think he is a good QB overall. We need to pick a QB high and Ponder has got talent, just not a strong arm and not worthy of the 15th pick.

Actually if you took the time to look in the first link you'd have answers to your questions as games against BC, Oklahoma, UNC, Clemson '09 and the Senior Bowl were included. Basically every throw he made in those games are on those videos.

Spesh
03-31-2011, 12:00 AM

If you havent watched him, why did you already make judgement about his arm strength?
As Conuficus stated, the link i posted shows detailed information about many of the throws he made. Done by the boys at Universaldraft(a few of whom post on here and are kind enough to share their work), they actually review how a player performes and go into intricate detail about the ability and history of each player. I have little doubt that any questions you might have are more then answered on that first link.

Comparing their article to bleacherreport isnt akin to bringing a knife to a gun fight. Its more like bringing a twig to a tank fight.

If Ponder is talented and can be a successful quarterback in the NFL, he is worthy of the 15th overall pick. If you find a franchise quarterback, its worth ALL your picks.

MadDog 88
03-31-2011, 01:02 AM

That is an incredible throw which contradicts the "noodle arm" tag some have placed on him. For a right handed QB scrambling left and running out of room, he managed to square his shoulders and throw the ball approx 53 yards in the air and right on target, no easy feat.

As for picking a QB high, I am sure you mean to pick a QB that meets his value as a first round pick and not picking a QB high for the sake of doing it.

MadDog 88
03-31-2011, 01:08 AM
Passing on Mallet and drafting Ponder is not a bad thing; however, passing on Mallet for Kaepernick or Dalton reflects the same mentality we have seen for over a decade. At some point I would hope that someone in the Dolphins organization would realize they need to draft something more then a project for the most important position.

Spesh
03-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Passing on Mallet and drafting Ponder is not a bad thing; however, passing on Mallet for Kaepernick or Dalton reflects the same mentality we have seen for over a decade. At some point I would hope that someone in the Dolphins organization would realize they need to draft something more then a project for the most important position.

I have thought along similar lines, at this point i couldnt complain when drafting Mallet. His arm is absurd and he could very well be the next Phillip Rivers, despite my personal preference towards Ponder. That being said, im am absolutely terrified of the love affair our front office has shown towards Kaepernick.

Best case scenario: hes a raw project. How have we done towards raw projects so far? :bobdole:

Nublar7
03-31-2011, 10:37 PM
no i didn't...but i did expect them to misuse marshall once they acquired him

How exactly did they misuse him?