PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 4 slaughtering Internet Explorer 9

WeVie
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
Neither Mozilla's Firefox 4 nor Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9 have been available for download very long, but the two browsers are already battling for dominance. Currently in the lead? Firefox, which snagged "twice as much usage in half the time."

VentureBeat reports that according to data from web analytics firm NetApplications, Firefox has been slaughtering Microsoft's baby when it comes to downloads. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.)

It all started with day one of Firefox 4's release:

Mozilla’s Firefox 4 browser trounced Microsoft’s Internet Explorer 9 in first day downloads when it launched last week, but now it’s further walloping Microsoft’s browser by snagging twice as much usage in half the time, according to data from NetApplications.

As of March 26, Firefox 4 was seeing a 3.64 percent share of browser usage after only being available for 5 days. IE9, which launched just a week earlier had 1.78 percent after 12 days. The numbers are a clear sign that Mozilla’s hard work has paid off for Firefox 4 and that IE9 will be at a disadvantage for some time since it runs on far fewer platforms (it only supports Windows Vista and Windows 7).

We'll be reaching for our popcorn buckets and continuing to watch this never-
ending battle for browser supremacy, but for now we're impressed by Firefox's leapfrog.

I have not used Internet Explorer for years. Firefox is so much better with the add-ons and everything else you can do with it. Which one do you use?

Check it out here. (http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/29/6367464-browser-wars-update-firefox-4-slaughtering-internet-explorer-9)

Chubby
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Firefox is by far a superior browser with its addons and etc's.
Chubbs

Vaark
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
Maybe because of about 10 pages of speed dials and all the gadgets i've got loaded into FF, aside from a very slow loading time, for me it was pretty sluggish although I still occasionally use it. Chrome was a speedier enhancement, but I'm finding that Opera 11 is the fastest of them all although there are some things you have to give up to use it - or at least options i've not yet figured out.

tylerdolphin
03-30-2011, 05:29 PM
I use Chrome. Never heard of or seen Opera though.

Vaark
03-30-2011, 08:30 PM
I use Chrome. Never heard of or seen Opera though.

been around longer than FF actually - for years you had to pay for it before becoming freeware

http://www.opera.com/browser/

WeVie
03-30-2011, 08:33 PM
been around longer than FF actually - for years you had to pay for it before becoming freeware

http://www.opera.com/browser/

I tried out Chrome for a little while but i did not like the tabs being on top. I'm sure I could have changed it but I had all my passwords and quick links set up in FF already anyway and didn't want to bother with putting all of it into Chrome. I have heard of Opera but never tried it either.

Adam First
03-30-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm using Chrome after Firefox decided to not work on my machine anymore.

Boy From School
03-31-2011, 12:13 AM
I also use Opera. I've been using for it awhile now and I really like it. I'm probably not even gonna bother with this recent release of Firefox and Chrome was decent. I'm satisfied with Opera.

COphinphan89
03-31-2011, 12:20 AM
Like many others, I ditched IE for FF years ago and never looked back. Chrome is alright but I still prefer FF.

AquaInferno
03-31-2011, 08:51 AM
I tried out Chrome for a little while but i did not like the tabs being on top. I'm sure I could have changed it but I had all my passwords and quick links set up in FF already anyway and didn't want to bother with putting all of it into Chrome. I have heard of Opera but never tried it either.

Firefox 4 has tabs on top. FF4 looks way better on Win7 than XP.The BIG reason FF4 is killing IE9 isn't just because it's way better but you can't get IE 9 for XP. Lots of XP boxes out there, unfourtunately for me at work I am stuck with XP. Opera is something I used only on my Blackberry a few times but now I use Bolt.

WeVie
03-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Firefox 4 has tabs on top. FF4 looks way better on Win7 than XP.The BIG reason FF4 is killing IE9 isn't just because it's way better but you can't get IE 9 for XP. Lots of XP boxes out there, unfourtunately for me at work I am stuck with XP. Opera is something I used only on my Blackberry a few times but now I use Bolt.

That I did not know. I was unaware that you cannot use IE9 on XP. I still say FF is way better but that explains why it is so far ahead.

Kdawg954
03-31-2011, 02:06 PM
I still use IE . . . don't fancy Firefox nearly as much as most (but I do think it is the better web browser . . . IE I'm just used to). Chrome IMO is faster than both of them but I dunno, Chrome just acts up on some pages sometimes. I'm guessing alot of sites aren't "Chrome Friendly" and it causes problems. Opera I don't care for and I don't care for the Safari Windows Browser either. Is the Netscape Navigator still out there? That used to be the ****.

AquaInferno
03-31-2011, 02:42 PM
I still use IE . . . don't fancy Firefox nearly as much as most (but I do think it is the better web browser . . . IE I'm just used to). Chrome IMO is faster than both of them but I dunno, Chrome just acts up on some pages sometimes. I'm guessing alot of sites aren't "Chrome Friendly" and it causes problems. Opera I don't care for and I don't care for the Safari Windows Browser either. Is the Netscape Navigator still out there? That used to be the ****.

I have not seen Netscape on a computer since I was in middle school in the late 90's. I just went to their site and it's done, thank goodness. I have FF, Chrome, and IE9 on my computer, as an IT guy unfortunately for me I have to be accustomed to every IE iteration. I made my wife use FF4 and hid all of her IE icons to show her the light, she is now a FF fan. Just use it for like a week and you'll be impressed, ad blocker plus is a solid add on and alone is a good reason to use FF as I've gone to sites with malware ads :( I also suggest McAfee site advisor and Xmarks, Site advisor and Xmarks both work with IE.