PDA

View Full Version : What about this quarterback?

cltchperf
03-29-2011, 10:44 PM
He's not really a mystery as scouts have talked bout him on espn and nfl network and I'm sure he's probably been mentioned here. But while Jake locker, newton and gabbert and mallet and others have been talked about. I'm not really sure about mallett and Miami most likely wouldn't get newton and wouldn't even want him anyway and no way miami could get gabbert. But After seeing and reading about Christian Ponder it seems like an interesting prospect. His arm is stronger than others think and he seems to have a lot of good intangibles and while not a rocket arm like gabbert and mallet. The postivies like mechanics, pro system, vision and leadership seem to be ahead of the curve for rookie quarterbacks.

Yeah his decision making can be better, and he has stared down WRs occasionaly from reports, but most college qbs do at times. His flaws seem to be ones that can be fixed or coached, if he has the work ethic which it seems from reports as well. I just wonder what you guys think of him and miami taking him and where is he projected to be in the draft. I don't mean at spot 15 as thats too high I think. But I think miami will try to trade down and could be able to trade down like last year and get there 2nd back and there 1st get pushed down to the bottom of the 1st. Would he fall to the bottom of the first and would you be happy if miami took him if they were able to trade down and there 1st pick be in lower bottom of the first. And if miami were to get a high 2nd from a trade down, would ponder still be there? I don't really know what the consensus of his stock now and what you guys think. thanks

Roonnette
03-29-2011, 10:48 PM
I'm certain he's been talked about

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?296930-Draft-Winds-Christian-Ponder-Special

cltchperf
03-29-2011, 11:03 PM
my bad..ive just looked at the first few threads and didn't see anything. I don't really post in this forum, so i don't know a whole lot what gets talked about all the time. The times I've checked I always saw threads of newton, mallett, gabbert and locker for the most part.

Roman529
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I think if we were able to trade down and get a 2nd rounder he would be worth a 2nd round pick. I still would like to see us take a RB in round one. I think it depends on how many QB's go in round one, and if we are able to trade down. There may be a bunch of teams who want a QB early in the 2nd round, so we could miss out on a decent QB and may have to wait until next year if that is the case. I do like Ponder alot more than Locker. Ponder worked in pro style offense at Florida State and graduated in 2 1/2 years. Smart kid.

cltchperf
03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
I think if we were able to trade down and get a 2nd rounder he would be worth a 2nd round pick. I still would like to see us take a RB in round one. I think it depends on how many QB's go in round one, and if we are able to trade down. There may be a bunch of teams who want a QB early in the 2nd round, so we could miss out on a decent QB and may have to wait until next year if that is the case. I do like Ponder alot more than Locker. Ponder worked in pro style offense at Florida State and graduated in 2 1/2 years. Smart kid.

It's interesting that you say that and I can understand you wanting a runningback as thats a big need for miami as well. But hypothetically speaking, if miami were to trade down with a team at like 27 or 28 in this draft like last year. (I think miami switched with san diego and dropped to the 28th). Should they have a pick low in the first where it's almost to the 2nd, do you think it's worth them taking ponder there and not a reach? the reason I ask is because I don't think ponder will make it past mid 2nd round, which miami might not get an early or mid 2nd rd but a later 2nd round pick and could miss him after that and it seems like the qb talent dilutes quite a bit after ponder or from there.

Whereas, for runningback, even though Ingram could be a great rb and a beast. This is a passing league and it seems like you see and can get very good or great runningbacks more often and just as much in the later rounds. Whereas, while a team will luck out big with Brady and 49ers got montana in the 3rd round, its seems like most starters and great qbs have been drafted within the first 2 rounds, whereas, look at arian foster, priest holmes, the running backs with that pierra guy from the saints, terrell davis, maurice jones drew, the ivory guy from the saints, ahmad bradshaw, ryan grant and so on.

Roman529
03-30-2011, 12:00 AM
It's interesting that you say that and I can understand you wanting a runningback as thats a big need for miami as well. But hypothetically speaking, if miami were to trade down with a team at like 27 or 28 in this draft like last year. (I think miami switched with san diego and dropped to the 28th). Should they have a pick low in the first where it's almost to the 2nd, do you think it's worth them taking ponder there and not a reach? the reason I ask is because I don't think ponder will make it past mid 2nd round, which miami might not get an early or mid 2nd rd but a later 2nd round pick and could miss him after that and it seems like the qb talent dilutes quite a bit after ponder or from there.

Whereas, for runningback, even though Ingram could be a great rb and a beast. This is a passing league and it seems like you see and can get very good or great runningbacks more often and just as much in the later rounds. Whereas, while a team will luck out big with Brady and 49ers got montana in the 3rd round, its seems like most starters and great qbs have been drafted within the first 2 rounds, whereas, look at arian foster, priest holmes, the running backs with that pierra guy from the saints, terrell davis, maurice jones drew, the ivory guy from the saints, ahmad bradshaw, ryan grant and so on.

That's my main concern if we trade down....we could get squeezed and end up with a late first rounder, and then end up with a late 2nd rounder and miss out on Ponder. If that happens, and the coaches really want Ponder, we may be forced to draft him early and take him in the first. I think it would be worth it taking Ponder in the first round if he is fully healed from his shoulder and elbow injury. Then we could maybe get a RB like Ryan Williams of Va Tech in round two.

cltchperf
03-30-2011, 12:24 AM
That's my main concern if we trade down....we could get squeezed and end up with a late first rounder, and then end up with a late 2nd rounder and miss out on Ponder. If that happens, and the coaches really want Ponder, we may be forced to draft him early and take him in the first. I think it would be worth it taking Ponder in the first round if he is fully healed from his shoulder and elbow injury. Then we could maybe get a RB like Ryan Williams of Va Tech in round two.

Yeah thats the thing, I'm not saying to purposely get a running back low, but it seems like if you have other needs just as much as running back. It seems like you can risk getting a qb like ponder in the situation as stated late in the 1st and even a quality lineman if there are any late in the 2nd should miami get it from tradinng down. Or maybe a talented TE or Wr that would be great opposite of marshall that falls to them. Because it seems like other some positions are stacked one year and not so another year. I'm not sure how deep the offensive guard or center or right tackle positions are this year as far as talent or WR or TE. But as said before, a lot of good running backs can be had late in the draft and miami could get other positions in the first two rounds, and even tho runningback is needed just as much, wait because they feel more confident getting a pretty good back say in the 3rd round or 4th, compared to not feeling nearly as confident that a quality TE or offensive lineman or WR would be there in those rounds in comparison.

SCOTTY
03-30-2011, 12:43 AM
He's not really a mystery as scouts have talked bout him on espn and nfl network and I'm sure he's probably been mentioned here. But while Jake locker, newton and gabbert and mallet and others have been talked about. I'm not really sure about mallett and Miami most likely wouldn't get newton and wouldn't even want him anyway and no way miami could get gabbert. But After seeing and reading about Christian Ponder it seems like an interesting prospect. His arm is stronger than others think and he seems to have a lot of good intangibles and while not a rocket arm like gabbert and mallet. The postivies like mechanics, pro system, vision and leadership seem to be ahead of the curve for rookie quarterbacks.

Yeah his decision making can be better, and he has stared down WRs occasionaly from reports, but most college qbs do at times. His flaws seem to be ones that can be fixed or coached, if he has the work ethic which it seems from reports as well. I just wonder what you guys think of him and miami taking him and where is he projected to be in the draft. I don't mean at spot 15 as thats too high I think. But I think miami will try to trade down and could be able to trade down like last year and get there 2nd back and there 1st get pushed down to the bottom of the 1st. Would he fall to the bottom of the first and would you be happy if miami took him if they were able to trade down and there 1st pick be in lower bottom of the first. And if miami were to get a high 2nd from a trade down, would ponder still be there? I don't really know what the consensus of his stock now and what you guys think. thanks

I'm sorry but didn't they say the same thing about Henne in Michigan?? And the flaws you metion...sounds a lot like a guy we already have. Not to sure why there is ANY interest in this guy for Miami.

cltchperf
03-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm sorry but didn't they say the same thing about Henne in Michigan?? And the flaws you metion...sounds a lot like a guy we already have. Not to sure why there is ANY interest in this guy for Miami.

Not quite, reports always mentioned about Henne's issues with accuracy and him staring down WRs. Ponder has occasionally stared a WR down, but a lot of college qbs have. Henne I believe was noted for doing it more often and his decion making was an issue. Ponder is stated on most reports to have good accuracy, he's been high at times, but that might be due to him being banged up from his injuries. And another positive is ponder's field vision, how he looks off to various WRs and sees well or ahead for a college Qb. It sounds like a contradiction but not necessarily but more likely he looks off to the other Wrs, but on an occasion may stare a WR down. But he's also had a great TD-interception ratio, i know its not everything, but all these say something different than Henne. The only thing I thought of henne was his 4 years with Michigan and his strong arm

Kdawg954
03-30-2011, 10:36 AM
If Miami truly wants Christian Ponder, they better take him at 15. If they can deal with him not being available after a trade down (in sense STILL not valuing a QB enough to take him) then by all means trade down.

BostonPhin4
03-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Mallet is my first choice at qb at #15, and the only one outside of Blaine that warrants a pick that early. Ponder is probably my second choice and the one qb I wouldn't mind trading down and getting. But it would have to be the 1st rounder we get back because the late second or early third we get along with it certainly won't land us Ponder. Or is there is a run on QBs and he is "our guy" just take him at #15 I would rather reach to get the guy we want then trade back to far only to see him off the board when we finally pick.

Only issue I have is his injury history. Shoulder injuries are tough to recover from and easy to re-injure just ask Chad Pennington. That said if we are convinced health isn't an issue go ahead and take him, let's go get our guy for once because this trading back and picking "value" QBs s*** clearly isn't working, and mark my words if we take Kaepernick or Stanzi later in the draft we will be in this exact same position 3 years from now wishing we had just manned up and taken our guy rather than acquiring more picks to take mediocre talents.

Aqua and Orange
03-30-2011, 01:53 PM
If Miami truly wants Christian Ponder, they better take him at 15. If they can deal with him not being available after a trade down (in sense STILL not valuing a QB enough to take him) then by all means trade down.

Agreed and great post. My biggest concern in this draft is the Dolphins "getting cute" and thinking they can get their franchise QB in a trade down scenario. If Ireland wants a QB of the future, as we all do, he better realize he can't have his cake and eat it too in this draft.

JRoX85
03-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Ponder will be nothing more than a career backup I see way to much Damon Huard in this kid, and far to many injuries.. I would stay far far away. When has an FSU QB ever produced in the big's? The answer is never...

SCOTTY
03-30-2011, 05:35 PM
Ponder will be nothing more than a career backup I see way to much Damon Huard in this kid, and far to many injuries.. I would stay far far away. When has an FSU QB ever produced in the big's? The answer is never...

Agreed. Not sure why so many fans want or would be okay with wasting a 1st rounder on this guy. Totally puzzling me.

cltchperf
03-31-2011, 02:16 PM

There's a first for everything. I mean who produced as qb from Cal before Aaron Rodgers (Kyle Boller was a bust as everyone knows), what about Miami Ohio with Big ben and even a top college like Michigan that has top talent in the nfl in various positions, has been quite a mixed bag too. I mean there's Tom Brady for Michigan, but then who? Chad Henne? There have been quite a few qb busts from Michigan but that didn't stop from Tom Brady breaking the mold. If you look at some of the starting qbs, some of those colleges didn't have previous starters or good qbs from those colleges. You never know, but I wouldn't simply not draft a qb, just because there wasn't one before.

spydertl79
03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Seattle loves Ponder and they pick at 25 I believe...

spydertl79
03-31-2011, 02:22 PM
Not that your argument makes any logical sense considering that FSU has a different coaching staff than they've had for the last 40 years, but Brad Johnson did pretty well