PDA

View Full Version : Evan Silva of PFT Mock Draft

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/28/2011-mock-draft-take-three/

interesting mock draft here. no ryan mallett in the first round or ingram or kyle rudolph.. idk about ingram slipping from first. They also have washington redskins taking jake locker.

anyway here is our pick, click the link to see the full mock..

15. Dolphins: Christian Ponder (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6433), quarterback, Florida State.
The Fins seem to swing and miss on second-round quarterbacks (http://www.aolnews.com/2009/04/27/the-dolphins-love-using-2nd-round-picks-on-quarterbacks/) every offseason, so its time to get serious. Ponder would be an upgrade over Chad Henne (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4684) in terms of accuracy, smarts, athleticism, consistency, and touch. Hed take over as the starter at some point in year one.

Fintastic2124
03-30-2011, 02:09 PM
I would **** myself in agony

Built2Win
03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
many people would cringe taking ponder at 15
though ponder is an obvious upgrade over henne
at the most important position in football..

Ponder would start by the fifth game

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
i think he would be an upgrade but i agree i'd wonder about the pick if we passed on both mallett and ingram. not sure how i would feel i guess it would mean they didnt like mallett and the thought QB > RB... i think i could live with that.

vagrantprodigy
03-30-2011, 03:20 PM
Only if we traded down to the late first, or early second... Ponder also has some major injury concerns. I think it's interesting that he says we swing and miss on second round QB's. The solution to that isn't to draft a second round QB in the first round...

Built2Win
03-30-2011, 03:22 PM
ponder is smarter and more athletic than henne and has more accuracy and has more leadership skills

twg76
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Taking Ponder at #15 in the first would be because they had no other choice. It would mean Ingram went somewhere else. But I do not disagree one bit that Ponder would take over QB from Henne. It would just be a matter of time. I would not be bothered at all if Miami gets Ponder.

HurriPhin
03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Interesting. Ponder is very intriguing. I also say that if Ponder is the guy for the Fins FO than screw all the trade down possibilities. Walk the talk, and draft accordingly to your convictions.

Chubby
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
There is no scenario in hell that every option is taken at 15 that would even remotely make me pull the trigger for Ponder at 15.

I dont even think he is the 60th best player in the draft let alone #15.
Chubbs

j-off-her-doll
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
I have Ponder right there with Gabbert and Mallett. I prefer the type of QB he is to Mallett. Pros and cons for each. I'd be very happy with him.

dr.jake
03-30-2011, 04:27 PM
no way we'd pick the 3rd QB of a below par class at #15.

spydertl79
03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what makes Gabbert better than Ponder...

HurriPhin
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
no way we'd pick the 3rd QB of a below par class at #15.

IMO Cam Newton will be worthless. So accordingly, Ponder is the 2nd choice. Not saying the Dolphins should pull the trigger (obviously I want Ingram at #15) but I wouldn't be upset for upgrading an obvious weakness.

MadDog 88
03-31-2011, 01:15 AM
Ponder would start by the fifth game
That would be including the 4 preseason games of course.

seltzer37
03-31-2011, 01:32 AM
Take Mark Ingram at #15 or trade back and get a second round pick back then if Ingram is still their take him or the Best Player available with the second round pick get a Rec. and in the Third round get the QB from Navada.

sinPHIN
03-31-2011, 01:37 AM
if we take ponder it will be later in the 1st bc we trade down. and i dont know if he gets by jacksonville. ingram wont fall out of the first. if he falls it will be to the pats second pick

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

I'm still waiting on someone to tell me what makes Gabbert better than Ponder...

arm strength is one

phinfan1983
03-31-2011, 04:40 AM
I like the pick. I think he's one of the best QBs in the draft. IMO he will be special down the road. I see his as the second coming of Aaron Rodgers. He also has the intelligence factor of Brady and Manning.

Fin Thirteen
03-31-2011, 05:32 AM
Brooks Reed in the first? No Ingram? Prince falling to 13?

Some interesting choices there.

finintheburgh
03-31-2011, 07:49 AM
the thing is that the jags are rumored to be in love with ponder and are considering taking him at 16. if we do want him it may have to be at 15

OrlandoFin
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Interesting. Ponder is very intriguing. I also say that if Ponder is the guy for the Fins FO than screw all the trade down possibilities. Walk the talk, and draft accordingly to your convictions.

I agree with this. The rumor is Jacksonville likes Ponder a lot too. If Ponder is the QB Miami wants and they feel they wont get him if they trade back then you have to pull the trigger.

OrlandoFin
03-31-2011, 10:08 AM
IMO Cam Newton will be worthless. So accordingly, Ponder is the 2nd choice. Not saying the Dolphins should pull the trigger (obviously I want Ingram at #15) but I wouldn't be upset for upgrading an obvious weakness.

I can't remember who is was, might have been Lombardi, but someone said from the people he has talked to many have Ponder rated higher than Newton as the #2 QB in the draft.

ChambersWI
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
the closer we get to the draft, the more and more I like Christian Ponder. The shoulder injury scared me, but he seems to have that behind him. If healthy, he's a more athletic Chad Pennington with a stronger arm... And for those saying you can't win with a Pennington as your starting QB, if I am not mistaken, hasn't Pennington led his team to the playoffs every year he has been healthy?

With Mark Ingram not in the first... heres the thing. If we don't take him, I could see him falling to the Saints. I don't think the Pats will take him (but that is no promise). Course as it is with any player, it only takes one team falling in love with somebody to make their stock soar.

OrlandoFin
03-31-2011, 12:14 PM
the closer we get to the draft, the more and more I like Christian Ponder. The shoulder injury scared me, but he seems to have that behind him. If healthy, he's a more athletic Chad Pennington with a stronger arm... And for those saying you can't win with a Pennington as your starting QB, if I am not mistaken, hasn't Pennington led his team to the playoffs every year he has been healthy?

With Mark Ingram not in the first... heres the thing. If we don't take him, I could see him falling to the Saints. I don't think the Pats will take him (but that is no promise). Course as it is with any player, it only takes one team falling in love with somebody to make their stock soar.

The shoulder was not a problem in 2010, that happened in 2009 and was fully recovered. The elbow and the missdiagnosed injury was the problem. Now I like Ponder alot but I agree with CK, it's not one injury that scares me its the amount of different injuries that scare me. However, in the NFL he wont be asked to run as much and will be taught to slide instead of taking a hit trying to get more yards. He is a tough SOB that has the mentality of a RB.

justdev7
03-31-2011, 02:12 PM

Arm strength, that's it. He can drive the ball. Gabbert is a bad deep ball passer but he's able to make all the short and intermediate throws look impressive because of how he drives the ball. If Gabbert was inserted into the 2009 draft I would've taken Josh Freeman ahead of him. But Gabbert's arm alone makes him better than Ponder.

justdev7
03-31-2011, 02:24 PM
As I stated in a thread awhile back, "This Christian Ponder nonsense needs to stop." I acknowledge the fact that his shoulder is healed. But Chad Pennington's shoulder was healed after the first surgery. Then it was healed again after the second surgery. You get the idea.

spydertl79
03-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Arm strength, that's it. He can drive the ball. Gabbert is a bad deep ball passer but he's able to make all the short and intermediate throws look impressive because of how he drives the ball. If Gabbert was inserted into the 2009 draft I would've taken Josh Freeman ahead of him. But Gabbert's arm alone makes him better than Ponder.
So Gabbert has a stronger arm... yet he's not as good as Ponder at throwing the deep ball?
I'd rather have Ponder's timing from under center than an extra 1-2 MPH on short throws. Those things at least balance out to me and when you add Ponder's mobility in then the Gabbert argument gets even weaker.

spydertl79
03-31-2011, 02:27 PM
As I stated in a thread awhile back, "This Christian Ponder nonsense needs to stop." I acknowledge the fact that his shoulder is healed. But Chad Pennington's shoulder was healed after the first surgery. Then it was healed again after the second surgery. You get the idea.
Completely different injuries to completely different body parts

justdev7
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
I like the pick. I think he's one of the best QBs in the draft. IMO he will be special down the road. I see his as the second coming of Aaron Rodgers. He also has the intelligence factor of Brady and Manning.

The only similarity between Rodgers and Ponder is athleticism. Don't try to compare Rodgers' ability as a passer to Christian Ponder because they're not even close.

OrlandoFin
03-31-2011, 04:49 PM

You don't like him and that's fine, it's your opinion, but it's not nonsense, that's where you seem to just be a hater. Most draft pundits have him rated 4th or 5th rated QB with a few having him higher. Many have said he wont get past Cincy in round two and many have said they think teams may trade back into round one to get him. So onece again the talk of him is not nonsense...

OrlandoFin
03-31-2011, 04:52 PM
The only similarity between Rodgers and Ponder is athleticism. Don't try to compare Rodgers' ability as a passer to Christian Ponder because they're not even close.

Once again you are wrong. Ponder is very similar to Rodgers. I would say about the only thing not similar is arm strength. I am not saying Ponder has a weak arm, because that has pretty much be proven to be a myth, but I am not saying he has a cannon either and Rodgers has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. All other aspects of Ponders game is extremely similar to Rodgers.

ckparrothead
03-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Chad Henne hurt his shoulder back in college. He's fine.

It's not what people make it out to be.

spydertl79
03-31-2011, 07:02 PM
Once again you are wrong. Ponder is very similar to Rodgers. I would say about the only thing not similar is arm strength. I am not saying Ponder has a weak arm, because that has pretty much be proven to be a myth, but I am not saying he has a cannon either and Rodgers has one of the strongest arms in the NFL. All other aspects of Ponders game is extremely similar to Rodgers.
And they're both highly intelligent, likeable guys.

Unlike Ryan Mallet.

justdev7
04-01-2011, 04:44 AM

Really???? Really???? Christian Ponder is very similar to Aaron Rodgers???? I'll be totally willing to admit I was completely wrong if Christian Ponder comes out and kills it but there is absolutely no way you can compare him to Aaron Rodgers. In Ponder's best two years he threw 14 TDs to 7 INTs and 20 TDs to 8 INTs put that together and you have 34 TDs to 15 INTs. In Aaron Rodger's two years as a starter he threw 19 TDs with 5 INTs and 24 TDs with 8 INTs for a total of 43 TDs and 13 INTs. In case you were wondering that gives Rodgers a TD/INT ration of 3.31 and Ponder a ratio of 2.26. Rodger also happens to have a much better arm regardless of the injury. I'm not saying Ponder has a weak arm I am however saying that Rodgers has a much better arm and a unique throwing motion at times that allows him to get a lot of juice of throws when he needs to fit it into a tight space. THE ONLY SIMILARITY between Ponder and Rodgers is their athleticism, that's it.

justdev7
04-01-2011, 04:49 AM
So Gabbert has a stronger arm... yet he's not as good as Ponder at throwing the deep ball?

Absolutely. Gabbert's struggles with the deep ball have nothing to do with strength and everything to do with accuracy. Some guys aren't very good with timing and anticipation on deep balls. He is really comfortable drilling a 15 yard out route or a deep comeback and even with a healthy shoulder Chrisian Ponder will never be able to touch him on throws like that. Gabbert needs to get coached up by TJ Yates, that man can throw a deep ball

justdev7
04-02-2011, 03:46 AM
Chad Henne hurt his shoulder back in college. He's fine.

It's not what people make it out to be.

This is true. Not all injuries linger forever.

Lord Of Miami
04-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Christian Ponder looks like a young Chad Pennington but odds are he's a poor man's Pennington.

Same can be said about Gabbert looking like a young poor man's Rodgers,because he also was not a good deep ball guy coming into the nfl.........But he was super athleticism and very good moving around buying time and had/has a very good arm.

As far as Christian Ponder looking like Rodgers...........like justdev7 said, they are both athleticism but that's it.

Lord Of Miami
04-02-2011, 06:18 AM

I"LL TELL YOU WHY......................he's not! They both can move around and buy more time but Ponder is smarter and much more accurate and is pro ready unlike Gabbert who is a year or more away from being able to run a pro team.........and Ponder could start from day one.

I like Gabbert and i think his upside his higher then Ponder's, but i think Ponder could be a top 10 QB very soon in the NFL and it could take Gabbert a few years to become that, if he ever does...........But he could be a top 3 QB in the NFL.

finfan54
04-02-2011, 04:51 PM
Take Mark Ingram at #15 or trade back and get a second round pick back then if Ingram is still their take him or the Best Player available.

this