PDA

View Full Version : The Draft's Most Overrated Players?

RHoffman
03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/647581-2011-nfl-draft-the-10-most-overrated-players
Agree?
Disagree?
Let me know. Let's get a discussion started.

Kdawg954
03-30-2011, 06:07 PM
You can't put Mark Ingram on an "overrated" list because "you" feel like RB's shouldn't be drafted in the first round. If anything he is very underrated . . . because people who keep saying they don't think he is "special" IMO don't have a clue as to what they are talking about. If Spiller can go 8th and Matthews can go 12th . . . Ingram can go in the first round, because he is better than both of those RB's. He is a complete back who only lacks the long speed, and that is being more than overblown.

newlownorder
03-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Ponder is not a 4th round QB he's a top 25 pick QB.

SCOTTY
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
Completely agree that Ponder is overrated. I truely don't understand why there is so much love for this guy. It will take years to recover from the mistake if we take him at 15.

RHoffman
03-30-2011, 06:28 PM
If you believe that Ingram is underrated, then what qualities make him an early first round pick? He is not overpowering, he lacks elite speed, he has durability concerns, is an average at best receiver...His yards per carry suggest that he is a workhorse type back.

MRojas4
03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
This entire list is bull for the simple fact that Scam Newton is not #1 most over rated player.

Sure, the kid is a athletic freak but he will end up another VY or Fat Russel. Can't throw the ball and he's too slow for the whole "Vick" prototype.

Elliott 1
03-30-2011, 08:01 PM
I give it an A. Excellent observations that I totally agree with, and the writing is good as well.

hooshoops
03-30-2011, 08:24 PM
those slideshow things are gay...i agree with a lot of that list mainly the position players but calling mark ingram overrated...well that's a lmao one

the fact that people are talking this kid may slip out of round 1 tells me the nfl puts entirely too much emphasis on in underwear straight line speed at the position...

HurriPhin
03-30-2011, 09:53 PM
If you believe that Ingram is underrated, then what qualities make him an early first round pick?

Generally the first thing people notice about Ingram when they watch him run is his never say die attitude and how he does not shy away from contact. He also exhibits quick feet with the skill to accelerate getting up to top speed quickly. His balance is elite in every sense of the word and it is extremely difficult to knock him off stride. He has excellent ball security as Ingram has only fumbled the ball twice in his 3 year career at Alabama. In addition, he possesses excellent lateral agility with enough wiggle to make a defender miss. His vision, instincts and awareness are so elite that he has been compared to Emmitt Smith by many. His intangibles also include excellent character and work ethic as Ingram received the Derrick Thomas Community Service Award in 2010.

He is not overpowering

Ingram is a very physical runner that does not shy from contact. He is extremely powerful with great leg drive. He also has great prototypical size (5'10" 215#'s) to break tackles which he has shown to do in the NCAA's toughest conference.

he lacks elite speed

His only knock. Though not elite speed he still possess enough, along with impressive acceleration and burst, to reach and turn the corner.

he has durability concerns

Very mild durability questions. Has missed just 2 games in his entire career. It was Ingram's decision for the knee surgery and has played through all of the other concerns.

is an average at best receiver

Ingram has been scouted from very reliable to excellent receiver with soft hands but has never been called just average.

His yards per carry suggest that he is a workhorse type back.

Not sure what the problem here is.?

A career of 5.7 yd/carry along with over 3,200 yards rushing and 46 total TD's in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at. In fact it's good enough to give a Heisman to.

In a field very deep at running back this year, Ingram is head and shoulders above all of the talent.

newlownorder
03-30-2011, 10:16 PM
The Ponder love is mystifying. He hasn't done anything to justify this kind of buzz. Again, I want his agent.

Even if you don't like Ponder, there is no way you can justify that he's a 4th round QB.

bdhock
03-30-2011, 10:19 PM
The Ponder love is mystifying. He hasn't done anything to justify this kind of buzz. Again, I want his agent.It almost seems since Mallett and Locker have dropped some , people are pushing ponder and Dalton a little higher than they should be to replace them.

hooshoops
03-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Generally the first thing people notice about Ingram when they watch him run is his never say die attitude and how he does not shy away from contact. He also exhibits quick feet with the skill to accelerate getting up to top speed quickly. His balance is elite in every sense of the word and it is extremely difficult to knock him off stride. He has excellent ball security as Ingram has only fumbled the ball twice in his 3 year career at Alabama. In addition, he possesses excellent lateral agility with enough wiggle to make a defender miss. His vision, instincts and awareness are so elite that he has been compared to Emmitt Smith by many. His intangibles also include excellent character and work ethic as Ingram received the Derrick Thomas Community Service Award in 2010.

Ingram is a very physical runner that does not shy from contact. He is extremely powerful with great leg drive. He also has great prototypical size (5'10" 215#'s) to break tackles which he has shown to do in the NCAA's toughest conference.

His only knock. Though not elite speed he still possess enough, along with impressive acceleration and burst, to reach and turn the corner.

Very mild durability questions. Has missed just 2 games in his entire career. It was Ingram's decision for the knee surgery and has played through all of the other concerns.

Ingram has been scouted from very reliable to excellent receiver with soft hands but has never been called just average.

A career of 5.7 yd/carry along with over 3,200 yards rushing and 46 total TD's in the SEC is nothing to sneeze at. In fact it's good enough to give a Heisman to.

In a field very deep at running back this year, Ingram is head and shoulders above all of the talent.

:hi5: and that...my friends...is the post of the day

BobDole
03-30-2011, 11:10 PM
take wiliams, houston, and ingram - and possibly gabbert - out - - - add newton, bowers, and maybe ayers or phil taylor - then you've got yourself a list. :up:

Fin Thirteen
03-31-2011, 05:44 AM
What impresses me about Ingram are his vision and his accuracy in execution.

If you have those, you have a lot of the package already at this position. Ingram sees the hole early and he totally commits to it - early. He doesn't tense up like some of the downhill runner types, he keeps his vision open throughout the play and just executes his plan as he sees it with 100% intensity.

Size-wise he's ideal. Speed wise he's fine. Balance-wise he's excellent.

Eric Berry last season went at pick no.5. Safety isn't a position that would normally go so high, but Berry just has these amazing football instincts and immediate commitment to the play that get him results. I see Ingram in the very same mould. He won't go in the top 10 but he's just got that rare blend that makes the "don't pick RBs in R1" theory redundant.

He'll go to someone in the first and they'll be glad they took him.

Kdawg954
03-31-2011, 07:15 AM

Excellent Post!! Definitely not overrated . . . overrated would be saying Mark Ingram is a consensus top 5 pick . . . I think the highest I have seen him is 13 to Detroit and the lowest is out of the first round . . . can't understand how that is being "overrated" for a guy who is IMO clearly a round better than his next closest competition. Kid has all of the goods, I don't know what more he can do to prove he is worthy of any attention he gets. People want to continously knock him because he didn't put up the 4.3 40 time and use that as the basis for "he's not special".

ChambersWI
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't call Casey Matthews overrated because he is probably a 3rd or 4th round pick anyway.

As much as I like Gabbert, yes he is overrated. He is only considered the top QB by a lot of people because of questions about Newton, Mallett, and Locker

Ponder I'm loving more and more everyday, but with how much he has risen in such a short time, you have a point.

Ingram? No

Wilkerson... if he was considered a lock for the first sure, but I really don't think he is that overrated

Baldwin IMO is a little underrated at this point.

Houston- Not overrated yet cause he is still a fringe first rounder

Sherrod- No

Bailey- Not anymore because he's fallen out of the first round.

Williams- Yes pretty much every Texas player not named Brian Orakpo has struggled to live up to expectations.

hooshoops
03-31-2011, 10:26 AM
justin houston is a bust waiting to happen...allen baileys not an every down player and he's a tweener...williams has a position change to safety in his future...don't like him at cb at all

RHoffman
04-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Some very thoughtful posts here. I will share a couple of additional thoughts on Ingram since he seems to get a lot of love and not coincidentally has been mocked to Miami way too often. I think Ingram is a good running back, but elite? Where do you see it? Ingram is not the kind of back who makes a dynamic run. Does he break tackles? Yes, but he doesn't just run over people either. He is a between the tackles pounder with a great work ethic. That's it and there is a value for that...but just not in the top 15 picks. I keep hearing about this elite vision he has and maybe he does, but Emmitt Smith? Come on now. Watch many of Ingram's big runs and you will see big time blocking up front. Just got done watching a five minute clip and you can see Julio Jones and Bama's line just destroying defenders.

RHoffman
04-01-2011, 02:26 PM
I do agree with one poster that I see a little bit more wiggle than I thought he had and that he can sidestep a defender, at least at the college level.

Chubby
04-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree he might be in the top 25 quarterbacks...maybe...as for Ingram...how are spiller and matthews working out so far?
He will be drafted somewhere around the late 1st round early 2nd round, but imo I wouldnt touch him before the 3rd or 4th round.

Seriously i dont even see him as being one of the top 60 players in this draft.
Chubbs

justdev7
04-01-2011, 03:54 PM
I agree with almost everything except for the ingram bit. I wouldn't draft a rb in the first sound but that's because we don't have a qb. A team like green bay could absolutely draft a rb in the first round. I'm a Georgia fan but I agree with his thoughts about Justin Houston. Except for saying that you can run at him all day. Justin Houston is really strong and has really long arms. With some coaching he'll do fine against the run

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

clutch23
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
So let me get this right? We take Ronnie Brown high in the draft, when he wasnt the best RB on his college team, and it doesnt work out for us. Now you guys are telling me Mark Ingram, who isnt the best RB at Bama, is our answer? Why dont we send next years 2nd to Philly for Kolb while we're reliving other bad moves? If you ignore history, you're doomed to repeat it, folks.

The depth at RB this year is amazing. Ingram is the top back, but the difference between him and a Ryan Williams or Daniel Thomas isnt enough to waste our only pick in the top 50 on. If we cant move back and get a 2, we may be stuck taking an interior lineman.