PDA

View Full Version : If it came down to these 2

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 07:56 PM
If you had to pick one of these QB's at 15 in the draft, who would you take?

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 08:03 PM
I doubt it comes down to us picking one at 15, there's just a lot of other needs so i could still see ingram or oline or tradedown as a more realistic option, but ya know, not much to talk about, ponders stock has been on the uprise i think especially since the combine and mallett is up and down all over the place, i expect the majority to pick mallett but i could be off... i'm not really sure which one i would take, i think both are pretty cool choices, and at this point safer then a jake locker pick

AZStryker
03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
If we were guaranteed to pick one of those two in the first round that I'd say it's a win/win situation.

Elliott 1
03-30-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd resign as GM and quit watching football altogether.

AZStryker
03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
I'd resign as GM and quit watching football altogether.

Ante up then. Who's the guy you like at 15?

Roman529
03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
I would go with Ponder a little ahead of Mallett, mainly because he has better mobility and he has played in a pro style offense. Mallett has the stronger arm but Ponder is more pro ready.

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
i would think mallett would do really well since he doesnt have the mobility as a crutch ...so he has to play more sound football ? maybe?

3rdandinches
03-30-2011, 08:21 PM
Ponder maybe able to start sooner and be effective but I see him with a more limited ceiling (Pennington like). Mallett has a little more on the red flag side but has a much much higher ceiling. I go Mallett in a heart beat!

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 08:23 PM
but yea i mean hey maybe neither guy is a sam bradford or luck or gabbert but it could be a blessing in disguise getting one of them if it came to it. i'd be pretty confident in either to unseat henne fairly quickly, and i think although the ceiling might not be as high as some think a guy like newtons could be.. i think their floor is a lot higher if that makes any sense

footsteps_falco
03-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Ponder maybe able to start sooner and be effective but I see him with a more limited ceiling (Pennington like). Mallett has a little more on the red flag side but has a much much higher ceiling. I go Mallett in a heart beat!

i dont know if i agree ponder has mobility and definitely a stronger arm then pennington. maybe in 3 more shoulder surgeries lol, but still i get the comparison but i dont think they are similar enough to say that. ponder to me is more like a poor rodgers .. ugh im gonna get ripped for that

Spesh
03-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Went with Ponder. At this point, thats just a personal preference as both look like they can ball.

hooshoops
03-30-2011, 08:36 PM
mallet...he's got the upside and physical talents to be worth pick #15...christian ponders got better than chad pennington upside...that's good but not great and i have concerns about his ability to keep defenses honest...ponders not worthy of pick #15 in my book...in a trade down into mid 20's or so i'm ok with it but not over mallet if all this off field stuff with mallet is a smear campaign

j-off-her-doll
03-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Today, I go Mallett. Tomorrow? Who knows? I'd be happy with either.

Production and durability give Mallett the nod in my book.

I still think Ponder's mobility gives him more upside than Mallett. I think each has the ability to be a Pro Bowl caliber QB.

3rdandinches
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
i dont know if i agree ponder has mobility and definitely a stronger arm then pennington. maybe in 3 more shoulder surgeries lol, but still i get the comparison but i dont think they are similar enough to say that. ponder to me is more like a poor rodgers .. ugh im gonna get ripped for that

I wasn't comparing them as equal limitations in skills, only that their both effective QB's with limited upside.

MiamiNative0722
03-30-2011, 11:54 PM
At this point i say trade down no matter what is still available

Roonnette
03-30-2011, 11:55 PM
I doubt Dolphins will stake their franchise and limited three year time in office on Ponder who's had a surgery every season. I don't think he is in the picture.

We need a QB bad. If we had a QB these drafts would be so easy. Defense and Oline at the top, skill at the bottom.

spydertl79
03-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Christian ****ing Ponder

Huge talent with an amazing upside and a great work ethic.

bryan
03-31-2011, 12:31 AM
Mallett, all day...every day. I'm just glad I think he will be gone by pick #15 so I don't have to go through the agony of the Fins passing on him.

MiamiNative0722
03-31-2011, 12:45 AM
Mallett, all day...every day. I'm just glad I think he will be gone by pick #15 so I don't have to go through the agony of the Fins passing on him.

I have a feeling there will be quite a few qb's we will pass on at 15. Theres going to be a bunch left on the table

newlownorder
03-31-2011, 12:48 AM
While I like Mallett more, I would welcome Ponder will open arms. As long as our staff isn't concerned with Malletts so called attitude (bogus), and Ponders health (also bogus), I'm fine with either in round 1.

phinfan1983
03-31-2011, 04:34 AM
I like both, however, I like Ponder more. He has the mobility to escape, can throw on the run, is very intelligent, and is very accurate. Mallet has the rep of getting antsy in the pocket, Ponder doesn't.

Most offensive lines these days don't protect like they did in Marino's day. The front seven on defenses are quicker and stronger.

Kdawg954
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Personally, I would take Mallet . . . but I think this regime would take Ponder.

BobDole
03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
it offends me that this is a serious question. mallett without even having to use my brain parts.

Chubby
03-31-2011, 08:51 AM
it offends me that this is a serious question. mallett without even having to use my brain parts.
I am still scratching my head of how Ponder went from being barely a 2nd rounder to a possible #15 pick in the draft. One good Senior bowl game? really?

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/imagesqtbnANd9GcQTul73pdRVbqzaU4FDSOnt5s-1.jpg
Chubbs

BobDole
03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
I am still scratching my head of how Ponder went from being barely a 2nd rounder to a possible #15 pick in the draft. One good Senior bowl game? really?
Chubbs

... but it was a REALLY good game ...

:bobdole:

LouPhinFan
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
If we're picking at 15 then it would have to be Mallett. If we are able to trade back to later in the 1st round, while picking up a 2nd then I would be good with Ponder.

j-off-her-doll
03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/03/imagesqtbnANd9GcQTul73pdRVbqzaU4FDSOnt5s-1.jpg
Chubbs

Before the year of injuries, he was seen as a potential 1st RD pick. He's enjoyed an outstanding off season, and he possesses all the traits of a great QB. He just doesn't have the body of work - due to injuries. If he wasn't hurt this season and played to potential, you'd be talking about a guy in the mix for a top-5 pick.

Roonnette
03-31-2011, 12:35 PM
I see Ponder as top 60-75 prospect, a late second rounder. A solid QB who will sit and learn and may become a starter.

I see Mallett as someone you can not keep on the bench, a top 30 prospect.

Every top 30 prospect is less safe than lower prospects. Stakes are higher there, prospect will be put in games on display and expected to perform. But if you want great, you need to roll the dice.

The safest thing for Dolphins is to draft Enderle in 7th round, if you want a safe pick at QB.

Chubby
03-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Before the year of injuries, he was seen as a potential 1st RD pick. He's enjoyed an outstanding off season, and he possesses all the traits of a great QB. He just doesn't have the body of work - due to injuries. If he wasn't hurt this season and played to potential, you'd be talking about a guy in the mix for a top-5 pick.
I still fully disagree and feel people are falling for the same trap they do every year of falling in love with the workout warrior/media darling as they do every year. No i dont watch film on prospects not my thing, but I would venture to say i have watched atleast half of Ponders College games maybe more. And for the life of me I can not remember too many moments watching a game and thinking man they cant stop this guy, or man this guy is the real deal. In 2008 i remember thinking early on that he might develop into a decent College QB. But the Injuries came and came often.

He is better then your average project QB but is still a project. I do not have confidence in his injury history and would hate to waste a late 1st round selection on him and even worse a top 15 pick. I still think Ponder at 15 is a joke of a thought.
Chubbs

hooshoops
03-31-2011, 01:29 PM

put the bottle down...

Spesh
03-31-2011, 02:08 PM
put the bottle down...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andrew_perloff/07/06/2011.draft/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/07/06/national.grades.draft/index.html

Washington's Jake Locker and Florida State's Christian Ponder are tied for the top rating among senior quarterbacks, but they present very different packages to the NFL. Locker stands out for his physical skills, a strong arm and running ability. Ponder has been called more NFL ready despite not possessing prototypical size.

Can't find the article that stated Ponder was worthy of the first overall pick, but you get the point.

hooshoops
03-31-2011, 02:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andrew_perloff/07/06/2011.draft/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/07/06/national.grades.draft/index.html

Can't find the article that stated Ponder was worthy of the first overall pick, but you get the point.

you really expect me to take anything serious that rates jake locker that high??? top 5 pick with ponder??? only if your not counting the underclassmen...

Spesh
03-31-2011, 03:34 PM
you really expect me to take anything serious that rates jake locker that high??? top 5 pick with ponder??? only if your not counting the underclassmen...

Article was done before the 2010 season. Before the 2009 draft, Jake Locker was being discussed as the first overall pick. Seeing as he didnt play any games during an offseason, why wouldnt he be rated highly?

Those articles indicate that Ponder was considered atop his draft class before his injuries. He has recovered from them, so why shouldnt he be considered a top talent again?
At the end of the day, the only thing people have is rumors and perception. Funny how people will look the other way concerning Ryan Mallet's public perception, but when it comes to Ponder he is slammed.

footsteps_falco
03-31-2011, 03:49 PM
i think ponder is a pretty safe pick, i think he is an upgrade over chad henne in a lot of different ways. i also dont think we have the speed on this team to really utilize an arm like henne or mallett's. i'm not saying i would be opposed to be a more vertical deep threat passing team, but i think ponder would be a good fit with the group we have. mobile enough to balance out the not so great oline, accurate enough to put the ball in places henne couldn't, better decision maker then henne, little more of a leader then henne i think too. a 15 pick? yea it's high. but if the FO thinks ponder is the guy and if he's going to come in and start over henne then i dont see the problem. 1st round picks should be people who contribute on the field, upgrades, playmakers or all of the above. ponder fits 2 of those i think. playmaker? just put the ball in marshall or bess's hands in stride and theyll do the work. henne couldn't do that. mallett is probably a superior talent, but i think off the bat ponder would make the better fit and less chance of off the field crap if the mallett stuff is true.

and yea injuries suck, i hope ponder isn't made of glass, but i also don't see mallett's long boddied self surviving the beatings from the AFC defenses like steelers ravens jets ect ect behind an oline that isn't elite. i know he's tough and he can take a hit, but i think his body type is just as much an injury waiting to happen in the nfl as a guy like ponder. if i'm wrong please correct me

hooshoops
03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Article was done before the 2010 season. Before the 2009 draft, Jake Locker was being discussed as the first overall pick. Seeing as he didnt play any games during an offseason, why wouldnt he be rated highly?

Those articles indicate that Ponder was considered atop his draft class before his injuries. He has recovered from them, so why shouldnt he be considered a top talent again?
At the end of the day, the only thing people have is rumors and perception. Funny how people will look the other way concerning Ryan Mallet's public perception, but when it comes to Ponder he is slammed.

i actually like ponder...but top 5 pick talk in a class loaded with elite talent underclassmen is a bit over the top to me...if you take that i'm not buying he's a top 5 draft pick guy minus the shoulder issues in his senior year as slamming well then so be it

Conuficus
03-31-2011, 06:34 PM
It's all for naught anyway as we'll trade down and draft Andy Dalton instead of either Mallett or Ponder. You watch.

emeraldfin
03-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Ponder personally, but I wouldn't mind Mallet either.

Austin Tatious
03-31-2011, 09:36 PM
It's all for naught anyway as we'll trade down and draft Andy Dalton instead of either Mallett or Ponder. You watch. Really? Isn't that arm strength troublesome? I just see Dalton as a good number 2 qb.

Austin Tatious
03-31-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm high on Mallett. I see a better version of Flacco. But I like Ponder too. I think Ponder is a safer pick with Mallett having high end potential.

justdev7
04-01-2011, 05:05 AM
Mallet all the F****** way. I's written in the stars. Pick #15 with the #15 pick. I'm not interested in another 2nd tier talent masquerading as a franchise QB. mallet is the real deal and this whole Ponder thing has me at a loss for words. Well, except for WTF.

hooshoops
04-01-2011, 09:58 AM
It's all for naught anyway as we'll trade down and draft Andy Dalton instead of either Mallett or Ponder. You watch.

i've heard scuttlebutt that dalton won't get out of the top 40...even late 1st talk...if we take him i swear i'm turnin in my dolphins fan card

Chubby
04-01-2011, 10:04 AM
i've heard scuttlebutt that dalton won't get out of the top 40...even late 1st talk...if we take him i swear i'm turnin in my dolphins fan card
Screw turning in your Fan Card! Go grab that Fan Card, shine it up reallll nice and stick it straight up Irelands Candy Arse!
Chubbs

footsteps_falco
04-01-2011, 11:37 AM
i would rather take Yates and Stanzi over dalton... dunno about kaepernick though. it shouldn't come down to them we dont need a 2nd round type QB. with either need a 1st thats gonna unseat henne, or a 3rd/4th to develope after we've addressed 2-3 other positions of need meaning we plan on henne starting. a 2nd round QB is a waste ride the bench in all certainty and miss drafting a quality starting player and also would require us to trade down giving up a quality player

EFWilson
04-01-2011, 11:49 AM
I wouldnt be surprised to see the Dolphins pass on both these guys. I see a big trade down into the lower 1st or high 2nd. They will pick O-Linemen and maybe a RB. I wouldnt be surprised to not see a QB picked until the 4th round or later. They may try to get around Henne's failures by loading up on Lineman and a new back and just running the ball.

Ricky4Life
04-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Mallett.

j-off-her-doll
04-01-2011, 07:26 PM
i actually like ponder...but top 5 pick talk in a class loaded with elite talent underclassmen is a bit over the top to me...if you take that i'm not buying he's a top 5 draft pick guy minus the shoulder issues in his senior year as slamming well then so be it

The only thing Ponder lacks is that ultra-productive Senior season on his resume. It wasn't his fault. He played hurt, and I think he should get "gamer" points, but I do agree that it should knock him down a few pegs. If you're spending a very high pick on a guy, you want to see him dominate. Intangibles, intelligence, footwork, athleticism, accuracy. They're all there. And, he has enough arm to make all the throws. I was one of those people - granted I was pretty young at the time - who didn't think P. Manning had the arm strength to be an all-world QB coming out of college. I don't think there's a great disparity in (a healthy) Ponder's arm strength and Manning's coming out of college.

If Ponder put up the type of season I think he would have been capable of - barring injuries - then, yes, to me that looks like a top-5 pick. You could check every box.

phinfan33
04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Screw turning in your Fan Card! Go grab that Fan Card, shine it up reallll nice and stick it straight up Irelands Candy Arse!
Chubbsyou forgot the...turn that sumbitch sideways...part Chubbs.

PhinsPhan11
04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
I would go Mallett in an instant.

phinfan33
04-03-2011, 12:27 PM
For me though,i'd take Mallett at 15 if he was still there..there'd be no trading back to recoup our 2nd,i'd take that chance that he's gonna be great and go ahead and get him...now then,if he's been grabbed before we pick at 15,then i'd find a trade partner and trade back like Jeff did last year,and recoup our 2nd and perhaps a 4th like last year and if Ponder's there at our low 1st rd trade back spot,i grab him.